Collin Balester recalled

The Nationals officially placed Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list and replaced him with hard-throwing reliever Collin Balester. Balester's main claim to fame this season, his first pitching out of the bullpen, is nearly decapitating Rickie Weeks and Mark Reynolds in a nine-day span.

Barring something unforeseen, Balester will likely be sent down Thursday for Jordan Zimmermann, who will take Strasburg's place in the starting rotation. Zimmermann will be making his first major league start since last July after recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Strasburg was placed on the disabled list retroactive to Sunday, meaning he will be eligible to come off as soon as Sept. 6.

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 24, 2010; 3:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineup
Next: Ian Desmond out with sore thumb, will return tomorrow

Comments

Thank God I read the entire post before submitting my comment...which was going be "Why???". As long as he's gone by Thursday, then WTH, lets see how many batters he can hit between now and then...

Posted by: FloresFan | August 24, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"Welcome to The Sports Authority, How may I help you?"

Hello...I'm the Equipment manager for the Chicago Cubs. I need 25 football helmets with the Cub's Logo. How long will that take?"

Posted by: TimDz | August 24, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, I just hope he doesn't bean Zambrano, as that could get ugly. (Or anyone else, for that matter.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

TimDz gets my vote for Post of the Day.

Posted by: longhorn64 | August 24, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

And on another note, mlbtraderumors is reporting that Dunn is likely out of here, because the Nats don't want him. Rather they love Carlos Pena who is a Boras client who can be signed for a one year contract because he is hitting 213 this year. Wonderful. Just what we need. Another has-been-temporary-stop-gap-pending-arrival of prospects who somehow never arrive as actual MLB players. Wouldn't want to re sign someone who really IS a dependable MLB guy, a terrific influence in the club house, and protection for your face of the franchise, would you? Nah, might have to pay him what such a player is worth. I really hope this is an incorrect rumor. I really do. If not, this would be another strong indication that the Cheaps are going to continue to play the fan base for chumps, and the crowds will shrink yet again, and the ST list shorten another straight year. I am becoming disgruntled. Comes from watching a 9-1 embarrassment, and just in general from watching this pathetic post-May performance.

Even so, I love the team and will continue to watch on TV and attend a few games, but I am really questioning whether I continue as a ST holder. My patience is just about at an end. I need to see some commitment to putting a respectable, not last place, team on the field next year in order to renew my ST commitment.

Posted by: NatsFly | August 24, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, there is a reason it's "mlb tradeRUMORS" after all. Still, until it's done, it ain't done yet.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

See? Things are getting better already! Balester's here!

I'm assuming the strategy here will be to threaten the Cubs hitters:
"Any more runs and we're bringing in the headhunter..."

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"Rather they love Carlos Pena who is a Boras client who can be signed for a one year contract because he is hitting 213 this year. "

They just picked up a rumor Ben Goessling's inside source may have imparted. Okay, you have a proven hitter and a good team guy who has a history of bad knees and back and you aren't going to put him at first base if Dunn leaves? Instead you are going to sign a guy who is 2 years older than Dunn who looks to be on the decline?

So, you're Mike Rizzo and you love an athletic, good fielding, good hitting outfield with some extra base punch? You can't come to an arrangement with Adam Dunn. And you are going to get Pena instead of say BJ Upton or someone similar? Placing Willingham at first base? Not hardly ... I think that rumor is horse hockey ... but hey what do I know?

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Bally will almost decapitate Nick Johnson so that he can be Nearly Headless Nick?

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

That geek Balester is going to kill someone with his wildness...another Nationals pitching BUM....

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | August 24, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Ha-ha, peri! Maybe Balester needs glasses.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | August 24, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The Pena over Dunn is yet another Buster Olney rumour - Boy, he has really been hot on moving Dunn away from the Nationals all season, hasn't he? I'll admit, Dunn to the Cubs in FA is a good fit, but it hasn't happened yet, and I wouldn't count on it happening until the season is finished. H/T to sec3(sofa) for calling it out earlier.

Back to the point of the post - Balester up; Why? Even as a fill-in, I'd rather see another LH like Severino, rather than a 'loose cannon' like Balester, but I'm not in Mgmt. God help the batters who face him, should he get into a game.

Posted by: BinM | August 24, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes the comments posted here make me laugh out loud at their stupidity. One of you writes that Dunn is an excellent presence in the locker room. How do you know that? In Milwaukee he left the locker room and went up to the booth to hangout with Bob Uecker when he was suppossed to be on the bench with his teammates. Recently he choose to stay at a different hotel from his teammates and discreetly invited his inner circle to join him there. Recognize him for what he is, a power hitter,a lousy first baseman, a strike out machine and a middle of the order hitter who has driven in 2 runs in the last 19 days while his glove has allowed countless runs. I can't wait to see him go and Pena would be an excellent replacement. Pena will catch the balls in the dirt that are waved at now and actually come off the bag to catch an errant throw while giving his team better defense and power as well. How many playoff games has Dunn played in in his career? ZERO, and that is why no one wants him as a first baseman. He is only useful as a DH hitting sixth in a good lineup in the AL.

Posted by: wellscats | August 25, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE EVERYBODY SEND AN EMAIL TO THE NATIONALS AND COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT RE-SIGNING ADAM DUNN. SEASON TICKETS HOLDERS TELL THEM YOUR NOT RENEWING IF THEY LET HIM WALK. AT THIS POINT WHAT ELSE DO WE HAVE?

Posted by: frediemac1 | August 25, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Wellcats, I love how you point out flaws in Adam Dunn but forget to point out the positives which out way the negative. S-T-U-P-I-D

Posted by: frediemac1 | August 25, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

frediemac1, I can't resist, please list these positives you mention and how they would justify signing him to an extension.

Posted by: wellscats | August 25, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse