Game 107 discussion thread: Nationals at Diamondbacks

Through the trade deadline and Stephen Strasburg's trip to the disabled list, the Nationals have played some of their best baseball this season. With a victory tonight, the Nationals will have won six out of eight games. They've done that only once this season, from May 6 through May 13.

They'll try to ride Scott Olsen, who returned from more than two months off last Thursday and yielded two earned runs in six innings for his third win this year. The Nationals should have a full bullpen tonight. Sean Burnett record five outs last night but needed about 20 pitches, so he's available. Given the four lefties in the lineup - which should also give Olsen an advantage - Burnett may be called upon in the final innings again.

Before this series, Manager Jim Riggleman challenged the Nationals' offense to produce. He still figures the Nationals will need to score a lot of runs in order to take the series. Against lefty Joe Saunders, just acquired in a trade from the Angels, the Nationals have little experience. Only Ivan Rodirguez (6) and Michael Morse (2) have any career at-bats against him in the starting up; Adam Kennedy has four at-bats versus Saunders, but Alberto Gonzalez gets the start at second.

Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 3, 2010; 9:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg scheduled for Tuesday return at Nationals Park
Next: Collin Balester's repeat 'shaking' performance

Comments

Nice, Hammer. Let's break out of that slump!

Posted by: reddog278 | August 3, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

anyone notice the MASN2 HD Feed on DirecTV is out?

Posted by: mikejli | August 3, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hammertime!

Posted by: Kev29 | August 3, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything more insufferable than a gloating announcer for a last-place club? Carpy's constant harping on "strikeout waiting to happen" Reynolds? What about our guy, Dunn? What a jackwagon Carpy is!!

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | August 3, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Weelll, Dunn's hitting .276 with 131 Ks, Reynolds only .220 with 149 in a few fewer ABs. I'd say that's worth a little bit of smack. But I like the GEICO DI reference, Cap.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 3, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected: .274

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 3, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

But, Stevie, please, no smack talk when you're not that good.

And, as I type, Reynolds get his revenge. When will Carpy learn to shut his yap?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | August 3, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

2 outs, no one on, and Olsen becomes a nibbler again -- and we pay for it again. Nibblers get killed. Don't these young Ps ever learn?

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | August 3, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

If only good teams (and their announcers) could talk smack, sports would be a lot less fun, Cap. But Reynolds does indeed prove his worth, and it had nothing to do with the announcer.

(I'm not really in the tank for our announcers, though - in general, they neither bother me nor . . . whatever the opposite of bother is for an announcing team. Educate me?)

Gotta admit, nothing bothers me more about this pitching staff than the dumb, dumb, mental-mistake-style walks.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 3, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Random question:

For those who listen to the radio broadcast, what's the name of that oldie that plays as the bumper music before the commercial in the middle of the sixth? Come to think of it, may not be a consistent place through each game, but is always played. DUNH-dun-dun-dun, duh-duh-DUNH-duh-duh, duh-duh-DUNH-duh-duh, duh-duh-DUNH-duh-duh.

Olsen's melting down...somebody help me out.

Posted by: tmp2234 | August 3, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Stevie,

Maybe, I'm superstitious, like Dibs. Or is it Karma 101?

In my book, talking smack when you're not very good is beyond pathetic, but de gustibus non disputandum, eh?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | August 3, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't speak Latin, Cap, but yes, we'll agree to disagree. (I would think "gustibus" would have something to do with food, gustatory . . . Now I'm hungry.)

Funny thing: I played enough - and was taught the game and coached by a true baseball man - to be ridiculously superstitious, both in ball games and in life. Maybe I should hold announcers to my own standards. It's an interesting part of baseball culture I held onto, to my girlfriends' enduring amusement/chagrin.

Sorry I can't help you out, tmp. I came along too late to ever get into listening to games on radio.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 3, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they're going to drill Zim to start off the ninth. Seems like what a Kirk Gibson team that's out of contention would do (old school justice).

Posted by: joebleux | August 3, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Eh, guess not.

Posted by: joebleux | August 4, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Had it been a closer game, perhaps the message would be worth sending.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 4, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Ballester doesn't belong in the big leagues.
Or Syracuse, either.

Posted by: Dougie3 | August 4, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

tmp, I tend to watch on tv rather than listening to the radio, but I believe that you may be referring to the Dragnet theme.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Never mind, tmp. I thought you meant the Dunn music. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, but Olsen's fastball was much better than I'd ever seen it in a Nats uniform. He made a handful of mistakes and had to throw too many pitches, but if we were scoring anything at all, all that wouldn't matter so much. You throw 90 with those long arms, and you're even closer to the plate when you release. So it's more like 92. I'm glad he's back, maybe now that he's got a fastball he can relax a little bit and start economizing, throwing to spots. But I really was impressed with his effort. His breaking ball was down and in good spots. I think it's just a mental game from here on out. He's got his arm back, but better. I love it when surgery works, they end up throwing sharper and harder afterwards.

Posted by: Brue | August 4, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the attempts, guys. You should get into Charlie and Dave: much, much better at their jobs than Carpy and Dibble, and they've never once yelled, "ungh!!" when a homerun was hit.

Posted by: tmp2234 | August 4, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I doubt anyone's still reading this thread, but I'm catching up. tmp, I haven't memorized what song they play when, but I do know the radio broadcasts use the opening bars of the Beatles' "Hey Bulldog" at some point, which sounds a little bit like what you were humming. You might could find a sample of the song on iTunes or Amazon or whatever you prefer to use. It's on the Yellow Submarine album (CD), if memory serves.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse