Game 113 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Marlins

Stephen Strasburg has thrown his final warm-up pitches in the Nationals bullpen and made the walk from down the right field line to the Nationals dugout. He gave Everything seemed normal about his pregame routine. Miguel Batista was standing against the back wall of the bullpen as Strasburg finished, but Nationals Park is getting Mrs. Universe tonight.

Strasburg seems to be a Phiten necklace around his neck, something players wear to reliever stress and relax their shoulders.

If the Nationals win tonight, they will hold the best intradivision record in the National League at 21-19, unexpected for a last-place team. The Nationals have never finished with a record above .500 in the division.

Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 10, 2010; 7:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Good news for Nyjer Morgan
Next: A rare case of not meeting expectations

Comments

Our first near average attendance Strasmas?

Damn, Uggla can hit

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

No coverage on MASN 2 HD (Comcast in Alexandria) I see it on mMASN 2 (SD), but not HD. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by: Dogface13 | August 10, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't have the HD feed on DirecTV either. This happened last week and I emailed MASN. They responded right away and the game showed up. Somebody forgot to press a button I think.

Posted by: NatsinFC | August 10, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Our first average Strasburg too. Very rusty and way too inefficient with his pitches (60 in just 3 innings - he'll be lucky to pitch much more than 4 at this rate) Some good learning points too. Don't walk powder puff hitters before Dan Uggla and don't throw Dan fastballs up. He's going to kill someone hitting the ball so hard. Where's the much vaunted change up when you need?

Posted by: lesatcsc | August 10, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

So, I guess we're hoping Sanchez strains a muscle walking to the dugout or something, because thus far he OWNS the Nats. So far the Sanchez-Strasburg duel is ALL Sanchez! He's in the dugout thinking, "if I could pitch against these guys all the time I'd make the HOF for sure."

Posted by: lesatcsc | August 10, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-well....what is there to say? I hate always sounding like I'm finding fault with this team.....so please bare in mind that I'm aware of the improvements, the sorry states Rizz inherited...all apply, OK? And I"pick" cause I love 'em so much....
But having said that....I didn't go tonight because of medical stuff. I've yet to go see Stras-I figure those nights are taken care of, so I go to games I figure attendance will be low.Yet even with Stephen on the mound, attendance looks light-and it saddens me.I gave up my ST's after the off-season following our first year in the new park-as much as I wanted to continue, as big a b.ball fan as I am (and hats off to those of you who are still there), as much as I REALLY LIKE our players...I just couldn't keep giving the Slows that much dough.Which tears me up-SO many missed opportunities with this franchise. And the game? Love the Hammer, but he's looking immobile out there-like his bat is affecting his entire game. And on run #4, if Ian has a DECENT relay...well, mebbe the run don't score. But it's WAY up the line. Zimm and his throws. And how unfair is it to put JEEsus in the position of always having to stop some bleeding?
Oh well...they're GOOD GUYS! They LIKE each other. They NEVER give UP!They PLAY HARD! And soon....you'll see...we ALMOST..
One Day, right? In the meantime, at least they're comfortable with each other...and that bright future.Still....a bad coupla years at the park is better than none at all.
Go Nats.

Posted by: zendo | August 10, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh well - time to trade Strasburg for some prospects.

Posted by: CountDemoney | August 10, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

ZENDO!!! My man i didn't want to be the one to say it but that was a half azz effort by JWill on that line drive off the glove like i said a few post back Riggs should have sat him on the this last road trip he looks very fustrated and Zimm well, what are you going to say like i said this team is to laid back for my taste i'm probably going to call in tonite and rattle Phil Wood's cage should be fun.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 10, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

One more thing; i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Orioles are going to catch the Nat's in win's and if they do then Riggleman and that sorry bunch of coach's should be shown the door.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 10, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-yea, brother dargreg-and since then another....well. I wasn't gonna post anymore tonight, but I just got done listening to Gary Carter kindly, compassionately call the ENTIRE team (coaches, too) out for something the Gang has been going on about for some time. Complacency. Accepting losing. Who's gonna step up? Having that dreaded culture become established...to the point that the team doesn't even recognize it. I wanted to cheer when I heard Gary hit ALL the points we do-but who wants to be right about something like that? I don't wanna be right! (And we ain't talking about the song....but then again.)Carter even went so far as to say that there's too much talent on this team for us to be in our position-AND he acknowledged that we have plenty of weak spots. Still...and Yea, greg-small sample size ...but Buck-well, time will tell but I sure hope someone in the f.o is watching. Even Riggs-I like him and would love for him to succeed.But this game......ahhhh, 'nuff outta me. Catch you all in the a.m., Gangsters!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | August 10, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Best deal ever $14 hot dog and chips. Enjoy, Washington. Keep paying for those tickets to those pointless 8-2 games. Lerners keep cashing in on stupid people. Love it.

Posted by: nalpak1 | August 10, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

This was one of the sorriest-as* games I've seen them play. I actually preferred watching the resurgent Os.
I'll root for the Nats til the day I die, but sorry to say they suck eggs right now.

Posted by: jdsp2000 | August 10, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Yup, figured SS will come back down to earth - Uggla knew what was coming. You just got to have patience with this guy. IMO it's still a wide open race for spots in the rotation and I firmly believe SS future is as a closer. I still root for the Nats, and I do believe its some years and some good drafts and FA away.

Posted by: bendersx6 | August 10, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Well we (meaning DC taxpayers) signed up for MLB and we got it. Sort of.

nalpak1: I believe a few cents goes to pay off the hundred millions in bonds when you buy a dog and chips, so yes, keep on keeping on.

Posted by: JohnRDC | August 10, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Miss Iowa to come back?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | August 10, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nalpak1 | August 10, 2010 9:37 PM

You mean the $14 ticket and lunch package on Sundays? If that's expensive to you, might want to consider a more lucrative form of employment.

Sorry, I know you're just a know nothing troll - trying to clear that up.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

This was one of those nights where a ball club simply sucks. The Nats failed in every facet of the game. It happens. We knew Stras was bound to have a rookie-type performance sooner or later; this was it. Lets hope he wakes up feeling good tomorrow and is ready to go in 5 days. Storen sucked, the hitters sucked, Batista sucked, yep, it was a stinker. Better they all have "that" night at the same time.

More troubling is that the Nats continue to trot JWill out in the number 5 slot even though he hasn't hit like a number 5 hitter in months. WH has hit more homers in last 100 ABs than JWill. That's saying something. It seems to me there was a moment last year when his game went in the dumper and everyone kept waiting for him to come out of it and he eventually did - this season. Obviously simply running him out there everyday in the same situation DOES NOT WORK. So, Riggleman, earn your 600K and either sit him for 4 or 5 days so he can get his head together, or at the very least move him into the 2 or 7 spot to take some of the pressure off. Pretty much all the bloggers on this site could get him out right now. Don't get me wrong, I really like Hammer, but he does not seem to be a player that just hits his way out of slumps. The definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Right now the Nats are being stupid.

Maybe this is an ideal moment to give Maxwell a chance to start 3 or 4 games. He'll probably go 1 for 15, but we might as well find out and give Hammer a chance to regroup at the same time.

Posted by: lesatcsc | August 10, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Guessing it was a typo, but Storen did not throw tonight - so no chance for him to suck!

It was one of those nights - our almighty Dunnkey left four ducks on the pond. $h*t happens - Stras has hit some sort of rookie wall and he'll learn from it. This team is going nowhere, but I just hope Rizzo is figuring what and who he needs for next season. And that he gets the help from ownership he requires. Hope the Lerners notched that not even Stasmas will save them from an average crowd when the home team is done for in the dog days of August.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

'noticed' not 'notched'

Bedtime

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I expected Strasburg to be rusty and have trouble hitting his spots but there is no excuse for not throwing more sinkers...speed is great but why keep sticking with the fast ball when you can't find the plate with it"???

Seems the second time around SS was challenging Uggala with high pitches and lost the battle...time to keep his pitches low and outside at times or the sinker and make batters bite....Tonite was a learning lesson for him..hope he reviews the films on this one...

Posted by: pentagon40 | August 10, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, guess it's time to DFA Strasburg or trade him for prospects. What a bum! Six runs in 4.1 innings, reminds me of Jason Marquis out there.

Actually, the above was offered in the way of making a point about the reaction to Marquis' outing on Sunday (5 runs in 4+ innings).

I know Strasburg is 22 and Marquis is 32, so he doesn't have as much potential as Strasburg. Also, Marquis had the benefit of rehab starts in the minors, something that wasn't afforded Strasburg (and which, in retrospect, might have been wise given tonight's outing).

I would grant that we should be more patient with Strasburg than with Marquis, given Strasburg's potential. But "more" patience with Strasburg doesn't equate to zero patience with Marquis. He surely has earned at least a few more starts to see if he can return to his past form.

Posted by: bertbkatz | August 10, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. Very dispiriting. Yes, SS will have off days, but nobody--pitcher or player--was able to pick him up tonight.

Re attendance, did they announce total? I would have guessed close to 30,000. Not a sellout, but it is Tuesday against the Marlins in August. Crowd started to thin out when Stras was lifted, and the flow increased as Batista and Stammen did their thing.
Dispiriting also to watch the Marlins--the team we have to beat to show real, tangible improvement--keep trotting out impressive young ballplayers like Mike Stanton. At some point, maybe like now, it's not enough to be merely moving in the right direction. It looks like every other team in the NL East is moving in the right direction too, and at a faster pace than we are.
What were Carter's commments, btw? Where can they be found?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | August 11, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

And agree that it looked like the Hammer was wearing cement boots on those rockets hit over his head. He has gotten very good charging the balls in front of him, but going the other way...

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | August 11, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Attendance was 25K+. I was there; that actually seems like a pretty accurate count.

Sorry to see Strasburg have the predictable off day, but I am not ready to jump off a building about it. I'm more sorry to see our bats not give the kid much of a chance. If not for two Fish errors, it would've been a shutout.

I essentially agree with bertbkatz. People with short attention spans should probably not follow baseball. It's not really a reasonable thing to freak out after one (or two or three) bad outings.

I am, however, waiting for Marquis to look like a major-league pitcher this year. Hasn't happened yet; I hope it will.

But I'm not worried about Strasburg at all.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | August 11, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Firstly, a "thank you" from me to the Washington Nationals for honoring Andre Dawson and the Montreal Expos tonight. Despite the whining from some people around here, there are old Expos fans who followed their players and their franchise when they moved, and for us, the Expos are the only reason we are Nationals fans today. Including Carter and Dawson in the ring of honor is an excellent gesture, and does not in any way diminish the rest of the Washington baseball history some people find so sacred. Merci!
Secondly, someone a couple of threads ago was wondering about Shawn Hill. Well, I saw him tonight pitching for AAA Las Vegas, and it wasn't pretty. In his first start for the team, he gave up three runs on four hits (all smoked) in one inning. He only threw 19 pitches, so his removal at that point made me wonder if he did something else to his arm.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | August 11, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Agree with BKatz re. reaction to the Marquis outing vs. the SS outing.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 11, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

On another thought, the Oeeyo's have more talented players than the Nats. I've heard this over and over. They just weren't playing up to their potential. They hire
Showalter and "BAM", they're 7-1 against play off aspiring teams.
Will it continue?
What does Showalter have that Riggleman doesn't? What does Rizzo really need to do?

Everybody in baseball says we have a really good 3-4-5 middle order. But only one (Zimmerman) shows he can hit consistently.

Posted by: M20832 | August 11, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse