Game 126 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Cubs

The Nationals will try to recover from their dog of game Monday night, and they started the process this afternoon. Manager Jim Riggleman and his coaching staff ran the Nationals through fielding practice, and afterward the team gathered around Riggleman at the center of the diamond. Riggleman spoke for about 10 minutes, his demeanor intense.

"We needed some of that after last night," one player said.

The Nationals will count on John Lannan to continue his resurgence. In the four starts since Lannan returned from Class AA exile, he has allowed at just two earned runs in each outing, compiling a 3.09 ERA while allowing 15 strikeouts and five walks. He'll face Carlos Zambrano, the only active pitcher with more career home runs (20) than Livan Hernandez.

Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 24, 2010; 6:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No updates on Stephen Strasburg
Next: The Nationals' bullpen holds steady

Comments

Lannan getting shelled, McCatty visits him on the mound, and the organist plays "Fly Me to the Moon."

Surreal.

Ballester warming up. Get the football helmets out.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 24, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Soriano fouls a ball straight back, which means you're late on the ball. Next pitch, Lannan TAKES A LITTLE BIT OFF and lays it down the middle. How can you throw it 85 thigh-high and expect to get away with it. It's scary.

Posted by: Brue | August 24, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

A little tidbit from the previous post: "Chien-Mien Wang is in the same boat. He is throwing off the mound, which he's been doing for months."

But, our top story tonight: Generallissimo Francisco Franco is still dead...

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

pardon me, but if you're fouling it *straight back* that would imply you're not late, you're just underneath it.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

but the overall point, of pitch selection, I too am wondering about.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

>Soriano fouls a ball straight back, which means you're late on the ball. Next pitch, Lannan TAKES A LITTLE BIT OFF and lays it down the middle.

Posted by: Brue

They just did the split screen of the two pitches. Boo Yeah!

Johnny boy hanging it RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE 5-1

Posted by: Brue | August 24, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

and of course, as soon as I post that, MASN does a nice side-by-side of the two pitches, showing how Soriano kept his head in better, and had just a fraction of a second longer to square up basically the same pitch, about four inches slower.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Brue 1
Sofa 0

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

>Brue 1
Sofa 0

Posted by: Sec3mysofa

Fouled a million off just like that.

Posted by: Brue | August 24, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Another night on the Justin Maxwell Farewell Tour has just concluded...

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Maxwell has no idea where the outside corner and looks at a called third strike like he's in orbit or something.

Posted by: Brue | August 24, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

and Justin Maxwell takes his .109 avg back to the bench and probably minor league oblivion...

Posted by: bromisky | August 24, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-I'm sure you all can figure out why I've been silent lately....then again, mebbe not. It's not as if the baseball we've been watching recently is any different than what we've seen for....oh, take away the FIRST half of the FIRST year- I'm exaggerating, I know, but I'm feeling especially bitter. Maybe due to our start. Illusory, perhaps....but the persistent sense that this team is under performing makes it SEEM so much worse.
Obvious this ain't gonna be my ode to our future!.....BUT:
Although I'm the last person who wants to hear it...I really do think that, IN TIME (at least with Rizzo in charge) things will change. Just not fast enough for those of us who have watched this movie so many times.
And all this hogwash about "effort" .... man, if effort was all that was required for success, then ditch diggers would be richer than anyone (muddled, I know....but you all get the point).It's a stubborn unwillingness to LOSE and NOT to just "play hard". And I think that Rizzo has it. Too bad so many of our on-field components don't. That's why I still have faith.
And as I type these words, somehow, despite all of this "effort"-which remains invisible to my undiscerning eyes-we just meekly ended the 5th.
Can't WAIT to hear about how GREAT Zambrano was.
Go Nats.

Posted by: zendo | August 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Take note, Lerners. And you too Tom. In all of metropolitan Washington, above are the comments from the last four people who care. Five years and still a laughingstock. Imagine how silly we all feel having forked over good money to be part of those season ticket groups. Bye bye.

Posted by: nalpak1 | August 24, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Well said, zendo. The ditch digger line was pure poetry, IMHO.

The posts here have been the highlight of the night so far.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I guess the 10 minute stern lecture from Riggs didn't do it. I imagine most players will be sent home WITHOUT dessert tonight. OK, no need to be harsh, just no dessert in to go boxes.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | August 24, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Attention Messrs. Lerner, Kasten and Rizzo:

If the Nats lose diehards like us, they are in very serious trouble.

I have just about had it.

Danger Will Robinson....

Posted by: Drew8 | August 24, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

wow, I'm saving a lot on my air conditioning bill with all the Nat's hitters fanning the city...

Posted by: bromisky | August 24, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Drew8, I always look for those small kernels of hope. Which means I'm basically biding my time until Thursday, when J. Zimm shows up. That'll tide me over until Maya get here.

Of course, the real excitement is the anticipation of a Wang sighting. Although I think I'll see the Great Pumpkin before that happens...

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Lannan. If he was pitching against the Nats he'd still be in and have a 2 hitter by now.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | August 24, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Can I make a general request of anyone checking in here? if you go to a game and you have one of those nice seats behind home plate or behind the dugouts, DON'T GET ON YOUR CELL PHONE AND WAVE TO YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY AT HOME! GOD, I HATE THAT!

That's it. Thanks.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the real excitement is the anticipation of a Wang sighting.
posted by baltova1
=====================================
the only Wang sighting you'll see around here anytime soon is Wang Chung...everybody let's dance tonight, everybody Wang Chung tonight....

Posted by: bromisky | August 24, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Down 5 - 1 against the Cubs after the disasterous performance last night, I think its time again to really question if Riggleman should be back next year. I know what Rizzo said, but if the team continues to digress, which it is under Riggleman's leadership (sure he plays as many players as he can, but not leading to wins) how can they bring him back next year ? I would like to see some Post articles/post questioning the wisdom of another Riggleman lead season.

Posted by: JT2009 | August 24, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

So, to summarize that last half inning for Balester: no runs, no hits, no casualties...

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I SAW THAT HOME PLATE WAVING, PEOPLE! KNOCK IT OFF!

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

We have been kidding ourselves about the progress of this team. The team is not getting better. We are weak at Centerfield, shortstop, secondbase, and most importantly at pitcher. We only have one real pithcer and he is on the DL.

Maybe, someday, if, Zimmermann will perform, but realistically he is still an unprove prospect.

The free agent season for next season is the most important in franchise history. Either we become a major league team or we become the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Posted by: cr8oncsu | August 24, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I think the last games of this season need to be sponsored by the USPS...

Nat's Baseball...Brought to you by the United States Postal Service...We'ew mailin' it in...

Posted by: TimDz | August 24, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

We're mailin' it in...

Joke FAIL...

Posted by: TimDz | August 24, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, Ian, shake up this mausoleum, do something here!

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Watch. Desmond swings at the first pitch.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Silly me, I thought the pre-game meeting was about how the "great effort" darn well better show up in the W column; appears it was all about October tee times.

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | August 24, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the real excitement is the anticipation of a Wang sighting.
Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 8:47 PM
________________________

I thought they got rid of all of "those" bars by the Ballpark...

Posted by: TimDz | August 24, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Zendo and fellow bloggers, some funny and poignant post, how sad is it that we're resorting to sarcasm to describe this team, and the worst thing that could have happened is that Lou Pinella quit and changed the malaise that had basically gripped this Cub's team and clubhouse, it's the same malaise that has had this Nats team since say oh the Houston series when this team found out that Riggleman can't manage or maybe it was the Indians series when this team found out that our advanced scouts don't have a clue or maybe it was............................ oh never mind you all catch my drift.They are headed for 100 hundred loses again and like i said yesterday Rizzo had better stop fooling himself or he'll be following Riggleman out the door with his belongings in a Baltimore briefcase, because trust me StanK is going serve someone up on a platter to the Lerners and it just might be Rizzo.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 24, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Pinch hit with Harris, pinch hit with Maxwell, pinch hit with Desmond who can't decide if he wants to swing or not.

Think the Braves, Rays, Cards et al would be doing this? If these are the players we think we can win with then we have all been drinking the kool aid for too long.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | August 24, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris. Bottom of the ninth. That's money to me...

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

They're just teasing us now, aren't they?

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Been watching a bit on WGN. They said the attendance was 18,000. What would it be if there were no Cubs fans there. I think there's a lot of frustrated folks around here.

After all that's gone on, here comes the potential tying run.

Posted by: marathoner | August 24, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

G-D it! I had hopes there for a minute....

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Another disappointing loss. But the bullpen held them and we didn't lay down in the ninth so some positives. Not enough though.

Posted by: marathoner | August 24, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Tragic case of Casey at the Bat.

Posted by: 202character | August 24, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-What does it say when a die-hard actually woulda preferred a 5-1 loss? Because now they can claim "See, we never give up" with a straight face.
Honestly, I don't wanna see em lose...and if this game had felt remotely competitive then OK-tough loss.But it didn't. And you know what? Zambrano CAN be a big-time pitcher, so maybe tonight he WAS "on". But like the boy who cried wolf... Johnny just now saying "Riggs has gotta be pleased with the effort..."
Here we go again.
Go Nats.

Posted by: zendo | August 24, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey don't give up yet there is all that great pitching coming in November .....

Posted by: CBinDC | August 24, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Given all of the Riggleman bashing going on, I think it's fair to point out that he got four scoreless innings out of the back end of the bullpen and kept pulling strings with a pretty weak bench and the team came back from four runs down to have their best hitter at the plate as the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. Given the talent at his disposal, I'm not sure what else he could have done.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 24, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-The highlight? Zimm compassionately flying out to end the game-thereby sparing Adam Dunn from once again striking out in a clutch situation. Seriously-I feel for the guy. I'd love to have a beer with him, but lately...he'd probably spill it (and mine) before we had a chance to drink any. Yea-they ALL seem like good guys. Can't say I'd want 'em covering my back, though, if Adam spilled that beer all over the girlfriend of the meanest guy in the bar-and I got blamed!
But they TRY hard..really! They keep telling us! Who you gonna believe-your eyes, instincts, stats,numbers,....or the players and Riggs, Stink, Johhnie, Dibs, Debbie, Ray......
PITIFUL.
Go Nads.

Posted by: zendo | August 24, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Ohh and Sunshine Debbie and Johnny will tell you it was just another tip of the hat night ....you know when the other team plays better .......well you can not win ....does that not explain things to you .....and effort is everything ......big extra credit for that ....we lead the league in effort per 9 innings ......so get your 2011 ticket packages now ......discounts for EFFORT but only until Friday

Posted by: CBinDC | August 24, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Another interesting item. I've noted several times how we're the only team in MLB to not win more than 3 games in a row (maybe the Buccos', too),but pre-game they mentioned that Lannan was going for HIS 4th win in a row-which NO Nats pitcher has done since '05. That's just....the Nationals.Which just gos to Baltovas' last point....yea, Riggs-what EVER his strengths/weaknesses as a mgr......is still lacking in talent. Although Ballester looked pretty OK tonight. Sigh. I'm trying to be nice...just like Riggs!

Posted by: zendo | August 24, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Luv you Zendo... :)

Posted by: skidge | August 24, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Like Zendo. I have to endorse Baltavo's conclusions.

This is a team that supposed is able to hit, but they're all in a funk. If this doesn't turn around soon, the Nats could loss 100 again.

That could have a bad lasting effect on the franchise, and reinforce, the first-in-war stale jokes (It was really never correct after Clark Griffith took over, btw)

Nats management: Please don't let that happen!

Posted by: nats24 | August 24, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I wish that the Nationals would find a veteran manager to replace Riggelman inasmuch as he is not up to the task. It was bad enough when he batted Strasburg in his outing against the Diamondbacks and then pulled him at the top of the next inning. The excuse was lame that he pulled him due to the brief protest delay. He should have known Strasburg's pitch count was already high. Now, last night, bottom of the 3rd, Gonzalez was on 2nd and Lannan was on 1st with Morgan at bat. The 3rd baseman was playing on the grass in front of 3rd base. 2 balls, no strikes, no outs and instead of having Morgan bunt down the 3rd baseline and advance the runners, Morgan flies out. Riggelman just doesn't get the little things.

Posted by: Terp4law | August 25, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

And may I add that I think that the Nationals are distributing far less than the 10,000 t-shirts on t-shirt tuesdays. I see the shirts. I see the numerous empty seats, and I don't believe 9,999 entered the gates before me.

Posted by: Terp4law | August 25, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

LOL, it is pretty lame. On a related note, while watching the game on tv last night, I was commenting to my hubby about one foursome seated behind the plate. Three had their heads down and were looking at their phones/Blackberries/whatevers (Hey, what do you want? I'm a Luddite, okay?). The other one was looking away and yakking it up on his phone. Tick! A base hit. They all looked up briefly, then returned to the more interesting task(s) at hand. Too bad there's a net there. Might help keep their heads in the game if there weren't. ;-)

---