Game 128 discussion thread: Cardinals at Nationals

With the introduction of top pick Bryce Harper at a pregame news conference and the wait for results of pitcher Stephen Strasburg's arthrogram, the Nationals still have a game to play tonight as pitcher Jordan Zimmermann makes his return to the major leagues against Albert Pujols and the St. Louis Cardinals.

Zimmermann was recalled from Class AAA Syracuse today for his first start this season, first at Nationals Park and second in his career against St. Louis. The right-hander is back in the rotation than a week after the one-year anniversary of having Tommy John surgery.

Opposing Zimmerman will be right-hander Chris Carpenter, who is 14-4 and with a 2.88. Despite Carpenter's solid season, the best reason to watch the Cardinals is Pujols, a three-time MVP who is chasing the Triple Crown this season.

Talk about the game right here, and come back after the final out for updates, player quotes and more.

By Gene Wang  |  August 26, 2010; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  Bryce Harper , Stephen Strasburg
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bryce Harper introduced at pregame news conference
Next: Announcement coming on Stephen Strasburg

Comments

Wow. Two baserunning blunders in one play. Kennedy breaking before the ball gets out of the infield, and Zimmerman not standing on second during the rundown.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 26, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Man, this season is even affecting Zimmerman. WTH is the first base coach over there for, then? You can time the move to first from the dugout . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Tonite I don't want to hear Riggleman going out to the mound and yanking Zim in the 5th inning stating he was tired and this being his first start, etc...This guy has been rehabbing, throwing and shouldn't be pitching unless he can perform as a starter...and that means going deep innings, 6 or more...

Wiggleman needs to man up and let his starters get bombed to get tough...he sure had no problems leaving Livan in against the Cubs and getting shelled...do it with others....

Posted by: pentagon40 | August 26, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Give it a rest, pentagon. It ain't Riggleman making the call and you know it.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

regardless of the result, its good to see Zimmermann back on the mound. Lets hope for the best.

On another note, Harper looks like a grown man,,,he is as big (height and weight) as Zimmerman. Here's to hoping his development goes smooth.

Posted by: jfromPG | August 26, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Despite the fact that I think (because they've said as much) the org is the one limiting Zimmermann's innings, this team plays as though the manager is locked in a vault throughout the game. That last bunt-K-CS sequence was just terrible, and it's either directly on the manager or, if it's not, signals something even worse.

Just bad baseball, 2008/9-style. Fix that which you can fix, Riggleman.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

There situational hitting is the worst in the league i don't know how many times this team has the leadoff runner get to second base and then................................ yeah right they don' t even get a sniff at home plate dumbest baserunning i've ever seen from a bunch of veteran ballplayers the coaching on this team is horrible,like i've said before Rizzo gonna get himself in trouble backing Riggleman.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 26, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Some 17-yr-old pops up on the screen looking like a Nationals Count Chocula. Mute button hit. I think, aw, heck, I'll give the kid a chance. Mute off. Ray asks a probing, nuanced question. "Yeah, you know, my dad, he's been around my whole life . . ."

Mute ON. ARRRGGGHHHHH!!

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

FLop trying to help us as much as he can tonight...

Regarding Harper's dad being there his whole life... do you think everyone on the field could say that?

I don't.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 26, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Yes!! A booming infield single gets Kennedy home!! Anything for a stinking run. How about a big fly from Mr. Dunn?

Posted by: Natmeister | August 26, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm making a comment neither decrying nor depreciating the socio-cultural impact of the disintegration of the modern American family, gil, but then, neither was Harper.

Or was he . . . ?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I honestly didn't figure Zimmermann would fail to make it even to the 5th. Thoughts, pentagon?

(The above weak-sauce attempt at faux-fancy-talk fails the basic grammar test. I'll quit shouting into the echo chamber now.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

With Dibs49, we get tremendous commentary on the pitcher's mechanics. With Ray, we get tremendous commentary on the hitter's mechanics. Just great stuff on technique. If you've got a tween or teen ballplayer, strongly recommend that they take in a few innings and really listen.

Odds are against that, but it's a learning opportunity.

Posted by: joemktg1 | August 26, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

We all know Zimmermann's pitch count is going to be limited. He threw just over 70 with around 49 for strikes. Its why they've been talking piggy backing of late?

Think about it. With the exception of Livo and possibly Lannan most of these pitchers have all experienced long layoffs due to injuries. You just can't come back and start throwing 120 pitches. If thats what they wanted they could just bring up El Duque who, with his multi-speed curves, could probably do what his brother Livan does. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't there instead of Batista next year. I believe he'd be much more effective at the mop up job.

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Jordan Zimmerman didn't do that bad for his first start but that pitch to Puljos, not smart, anyway the Bryce Harper interview was ahhhhhh let me see, naw i'll just say he'll be better as he gets older of course with Bob and Ray (not the old radio comedy team) conducting the interview anything could have happened.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 26, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Was kinda disappointed at Znn's short outing, though he did look good for a few innings.

IIRC, Marquis didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first two starts after his return, until last night.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 26, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Stevie, I don't know what Harper meant about his father being there all his life, and maybe he doesn't either. Cripes, he's only 17 years old and hasn't been to the Crash Davis Cliche school yet. He's going to say stuff that makes you go, "Huh?"

Hell, players twice his age do that.

I noticed he kept calling Bob and Ray (yeah, I caught that, dargramps) "sir," which I like. He may be cocky, or arrogant, or whatever, but he seems to know something about respect for guys who were playing or announcing before he was born.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 26, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

And where has that situational hitting been all year? Hope they can keep it up.

Posted by: marathoner | August 26, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Interesting: Carpenter just promo'd tomorrow's game, and said that Johnny and Phil will host Nats Xtra tomorrow. Dibs taking another day "off"?

Posted by: joemktg1 | August 26, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

gil, I wasn't being serious, just absurdist.

No insult meant to Harper, his family, baseball players in general, etc., man. No doubt: interview skills not why he - or any ball player - gets paid tens of thousands of dollars. Appreciate the kid just showing up.

Gawd, I do still love watching Pudge play.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_ingp....If I knew it wasn't Rigglemans' call do you think I would have made the statement???...And you say give it a rest....We all have opinions here, some close and some way off...Just like yours.....

Posted by: pentagon40 | August 26, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

We are all entitled to our own opinions, penti; we are not all entitled to our own facts, however. (Some famous dude said that once.)

Glad you now know.

My response to you on an earlier post was a little more civil. Apologies for being sharp above.

Now, which of my opinions are way off? Or was that little tidbit just ad hominem? (Which doesn't mean you are wrong, of course. I just tend to avoid offering opinion - uninformed or otherwise - at all cost.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

"And the bases are loaded for Willie Harris..."

Kind of like saying, "And Mugsy Bogues goes for the dunk."

Make me eat these words Willie...

Posted by: TimDz | August 26, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

munch munch munch.....

Thanks Willie...

Posted by: TimDz | August 26, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

What the hell happened to Clippard? Started off so well, but he just can't get back on track.

Posted by: joemktg1 | August 26, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Storen get the chance to go out in the 9th to get the save...

Posted by: TimDz | August 26, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Joe West just makes calls based on how hungry he is.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

(Not kind, I know, but Joe West has earned it.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess I should be careful about what I wish for...

Posted by: TimDz | August 26, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I was wishing the same thing. I mean, pretty much the rest of this season's games are learning opportunities, but giving up a win (fingers crossed) when you score 8 is pretty darn rough.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

This has gone to just plain sad sad sad .......sad sad sad

Posted by: CBinDC | August 26, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Nats!
You can still get that first draft choice again!

Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang, just getting home. Natinals up big tonight?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 26, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

sad sad sad ......sad sad sad sad .......what is worse now or 2009 or 2008 or 2007

Posted by: CBinDC | August 26, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

ohh and now the trolls are out

Posted by: CBinDC | August 26, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"retractble home plate" I like that.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 26, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Well I always know when the season is almost over when these types of losses stop bothering me.

Posted by: amorris525 | August 26, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

oooooooooooo Roger!!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 26, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

And then bernadina does that...nevermind...for now.

Posted by: amorris525 | August 26, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Glad I kept my fingers crossed. The Nats won't give up a win scoring 8, at least.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Totally worth it just for Nats_Lady's response. Reminds me of the old 99.1 promos/lead-ins Tori Amos did for Johnny Riggs: "Ooooh, Johnny!"

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

well, I apologize for my depression being premature. Thank you, Roger, Don't let my relief be the same.

Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Gee, it must make Knight feel really good to put down Carpenter for not being a big leaguer. When is Ray going to eat humble pie?

Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Pujols and Holliday in one night. If you can't beat 'em on the scoreboard. . . .

Posted by: paulkp | August 26, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Boy, staying in the game??

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 26, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I really would like to see Dunn stay in a game instead of being pulled. Nobody is afraid of Gonzalez. Leaves Zimmerman exposed.

Posted by: CountDemoney | August 26, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Two-run lead into the ninth? My take, Count, is that's automatic (depending on who would be up in the bottom half, maybe): the numbers are pretty far in favor of going for defense in that situation.

Doesn't change the fact that it's be nice for him to still be in the game . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

"it'D be nice . . ."

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I just dont think Kennedy is that much better than Dunn at 1st and every extra inning we go - we miss Dunn's potential.

Posted by: CountDemoney | August 26, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

and into the 13th we go....

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 26, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, at this point in the season, does Riggleman care more about going easy on his bullpen arms than winning? To PH for Batista in that situation is pretty unusual. Kinda sorta worked . . . I guess . . . Hope Slaten's got it in him. We know Batista did.

(And been meaning to give the "History of the World, Part I" reference props, Count.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, this is it. Rally time. Or even just a home run. Can we bring Harper down from the owner's box or wherever he's watching the game?

Posted by: marathoner | August 26, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

He's on the 40-man.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

It's even OK if Desi does an interview tonight. He earned it.

Posted by: marathoner | August 26, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

You gotta stick with it.
LET'S GO, NATS!!!

Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

No Fireworks...but a curly W....

Posted by: TimDz | August 26, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll take it. G'night!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 26, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Holy schnikes, why you watch. Riggleman sorta proved us both wrong, Count: Gonzalez gets two hits after going in for Dunn, Slaten only pitches to a few for the win, and the result is the result.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. Glad I stayed with this one.

The guys deserve to smile tonight. And dammit, so do we. Good night.

Posted by: KenNat | August 26, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Take a look at the number 9 slot in the order of the box score. Kinda crazy.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 26, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

The Shark had an awesome game! The entire section I was sitting in was chanting shark when he came up in the ninth! As usual, Bernadina delivered. Roger, you will always be the shark in my mind.

Posted by: terrycalcium | August 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse