Game 132 discussion thread: Nationals at Marlins

As the grounds crew continues to squeegee rainwater off the field, the Nationals and Marlins really are going to play tonight. Jason Marquis will try to build off his previous two starts, in which he allowed two earned runs in 12 1/3 innings. It's a little late, but Marquis has the chance to end his season in a manner that will provide optimism for next season.

If the Nationals can beat Alex Sanabia -- who played a key role in shutting out the Nationals the last time he faced them -- they'll tie a season-best win streak. Really -- the Nationals still have yet to win four straight games this year.

The playing conditions are the same for both teams, but they promise to be a factor. There are less than 500 people in the stands at first pitch to watch this one. If you're still awake, talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 30, 2010; 9:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals, Marlins to play tonight
Next: Jason Marquis looks beyond his numbers

Comments

Fans in attendance tonight after a 3 hour rain delay.

Over - Under 1,200

Posted by: Sunderland | August 30, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Holy cow, they just panned the seats.
Seriously, without exaggeration, looks like about 50 people there.

Posted by: Sunderland | August 30, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree Sunderland; I was just thinking it looks like every fan who stuck it out tonight will get to take home a foul ball.

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 30, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Man, Ramirez just kills us. Over and over.

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, in case you didn't know... Hanley's on fire right now. Might want to start walking him. Except he's also swiping bases left and right.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 30, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

tell me again why Miami has a team?

Posted by: natbiscuits | August 30, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

That's the 3rd time Nyjer' been intentionally walked in his career - kind of surprised it was that many.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 30, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah ain't nobody there tonight i mean it's like six people in da joint.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 30, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

tell me again why Miami has a team?

Posted by: natbiscuits
-----------------------------------
Well, the Heat are actually one of the higher revenue-generating teams, and now with LeBron in the fold... oh wait, nm.

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

tell me again why Miami has a team?

Posted by: natbiscuits | August 30, 2010 10:25 PM

To make money for the league and Jeffrey Loria.

Seriously, it was a three hour rain delay on a Monday night - there wouldn't be any more people at Nats Park under the same circumstances.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 30, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow! That was a Roy Hobbs shot!

Posted by: Kev29 | August 30, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

A no-lighter!!!

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I'll repost this because I'm genuinely interested in how many people also notice this. And because I ache for validation on the interwebs.

In reference to Ryan windmilling his arms and faking/kidding like he was going to second on his first hit:

Anyone else notice that Zimm is a total goofball? He does funny faces on the basepaths and after throws all the time.

Kinda strange, kinda cool, given his otherwise buttoned-up rep.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 30, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I think the Marlins should just make the concession stands self-serve for the night.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 30, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of '60s Senators games against, say, the KC A's. The ushers lets us $1.50-general-admission folks move down to the outfield boxes, real close to Hondo.
In cavernous RFK, it seemed like there was just a handful of people, even without rain.
Still, I loved it, but I never did get a foul ball.

Posted by: nats24 | August 30, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I saw Zim's windmills stevie, and cracked up out loud. I could almost hear the soundtrack from the Flintstones' feet skidding during his rounding first.

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@Tim Dz:
domed, doomed. You're right, it's about the same. My proof-reading is on par with Ak's

Posted by: nats24 | August 30, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

easily under 1200 people haha

Posted by: Nats1924 | August 30, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Gonzo can turn two with the best of 'em. That was freakin' gorgeous. Man, I love me some Nats D when they are doing it smartly.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 30, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

can't blame the Miami fans for this one. I'm watching from the comfort of my couch, but a 10 PM start after a 3 hour rain delay! I wouldn't go to the Park to watch this game if it was across the street from my house!

Posted by: cabraman | August 30, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

During the commercial breaks, been checking on the MLB network's coverage of an increasingly interesting game being pitched by the Dodgers' Kuroda vs. the Philthies. Ain't sayin' nuthin' else.

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it: what do I care about a Dodger no . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 30, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Free country, stevie, just thought it was a note of interest, especially when it's the Philthies that are on the losing end.

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice gifts from the fish to get Maxwell on and then over, let's get him home!

Wow, another one! Christmas in August!

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 30, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

(No offense intended in the comment, NatAl - being sarcastic-superstitious. Snarky, the Brits would say. NOT saying I don't care about the possible no-no; joking that I don't care about jinxing it.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 31, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

No worries, like I said, free country, just thought I'd (to quote the great John Gielgud in Arthur) "alert the media."

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 31, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

(No criticism intended, I should say. I hatehatehate the "no offense intended" excuse or non-apology apology.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 31, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

DUNNKEEEEEEEYYYY!!!!!

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 31, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Pretty much a game worth staying up for.

And I'll take the blame/credit for jinxing Kuroda's no-no. Victorino, a good Wailuku bruddah, even if he is a Phil.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 31, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing there are more folks at the game than on this thread. Fun for us nightowls, eh?

Posted by: justmike | August 31, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, NJ tends to get a lot of lurkers. Wouldn't take many tonight.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 31, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Semilurker here and enjoying it...

Posted by: skidge | August 31, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Weird, got a "comment will be posted pending review" screen after submitting my response to justmike. Dunno why, just saying it is indeed a good time being a Natsowl. Maybe it was mentioning the brand of beer I'm currently enjoying.

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 31, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I love to notice how new words, or new meanings for old words, enter the language. It could have been "skulkers", or "loiterers", or even "peepers", but "lurkers" seems like the right one.

Posted by: justmike | August 31, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Just tuned in. I had given up on this game 4 hours ago. Only 1/2 inning, but I counted 6 fans. I think we have them outnumbered.

Posted by: chime1211 | August 31, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Concur all around, mike.

Good opportunity for Clippard to work on some of the things he needs to work on here. Unfortunately, I suppose what he REALLY needs to work on is getting the big outs in tight spots . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | August 31, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, if I heard a WAS/FLA score of 9-3, you know I'd be thinking "Well of course, the Marlins always do that to us."
Nice to see it roll the other way for a change!

Posted by: NatAlbert | August 31, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

A nice, if very late, curly W over those dreaded fish. And hats off to Peralta for a really nice job, tonight and all season

Posted by: nats24 | August 31, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Jordan Zimmermann can get that elusive four game winning streak....perhaps.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 31, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

And why is it that the Nats can't play like this in June and July? Not enough rain perhaps?

Posted by: M20832 | August 31, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Comments on the small crowd remind me of recent Onion headlines.

"Florida Marlins Delay Game Until Their Fan Shows Up."

and

"Historic Seat-Covering Tarp To Be Part of New Marlins Stadium"

I bet they do a lot better in the new place.

Posted by: KenNat | August 31, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse