Today's lineup

The Nationals will try to complete their first sweep of the Phillies since baseball returned to Washington. If the Nationals are to turn around their season and leave 2010 feeling like thye're pointed in the right direction, these past six games -- already guaranteed to be two series victories against the National League East leaders -- will probably be looked back upon as the turning point.

Today, with John Lannan back in the majors, here's how they'll try to attack Cole Hamels.

Nationals
1. Roger Bernadina, CF
2. Ian Desmond, SS
3. Adam Dunn, 1B
4. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Michael Morse, RF
7. Alberto Gonzalez, 2B
8. Wil Nieves, C
9. John Lannan, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 1, 2010; 11:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jordan Zimmermann back on track
Next: Stephen Strasburg takes first step

Comments

bernie in center and morse in right!? good lord, that's madness. where did riggs ever come up with that?

Posted by: DCguy7 | August 1, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

It seems like Desmond may be the key to this lineup today...

Get out to Nats' Park and enjoy the sweep! Last night I was threatened, had stuff thrown at me, and had police escort me out after the game, but it was worth every second.

Bye-bye Filly fans! Thanks for coming!

Posted by: CJArlington | August 1, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

DCguy7, I just thought it was worth repeating.....

Posted by: Sunderland | August 1, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Morse can play more positions than Sasha Grey; can't understand why he doesn't play more.

Posted by: swanni | August 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

swanni you are not alone

Posted by: SCNatsFan | August 1, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Earliest candidate for Post of the day:

Posted by: swanni

Can't get out to the park myself. Warning to those who do: beware of All Those Phillie Skanks, and please dress accordingly (i.e., football helmets with faceguards, mouthpieces, heavy-duty DEET bug spray and deodorant).

Let's sweep out these bums.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | August 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Ha, Bernie and Morse in the lineup at the same time... I guess this one is for the fans!

I'm rooting for both of them to have nice games to lead us to the sweep... if only Lannan can hold it together long enough to keep us in the game...

Posted by: Ghost7 | August 1, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Riggs just found out Morgan lost the negatives

Posted by: sjt1455 | August 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

In a rare defense of Captain Morgan (he sometimes plays like he has imbibed the drink), he has been a productive player the last 3-4 weeks.

I still believe that Bernie should be the CF of the present and future, but give Nyjer his due. He has clearly worked to eliminate the nonsense from his game.

Posted by: swanni | August 1, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Very excited about this lineup, it must be fan appreciation day or something. Of course, given the Nats propensity for winning with those lineups of Harris, Pudge, Kennedy, Des as 5-8, we'll probably get shut out today. Hope we don't.

Posted by: OldNumber3 | August 1, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

makes me wonder if any of the current Philly stadiums/arena's have jails embedded in them, like the old Vets stadium.
Those Philly fans are "special".

Posted by: Hattrik | August 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Morgan does one thing, he leads off the game well. After that, he disappears from the world of productivity. But your right that he has improved over his May-June performance, I'll give him that.

Posted by: sjt1455 | August 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Went to ground yesterday to avoid all the foofarall surrounding Dunn (sign Dunn now). Glad to see he's still with the Nationals (sign Dunn now).
With the exception of Nieves at #8, it looks like a "fans' choice" lineup tonight (sign Dunn now), but with Lannan making his ML return, why not go with his favorite catcher (sign Dunn now).

Oh, and did I mention that they should go ahead and sign Dunn now?

Posted by: BinM | August 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

We've got 4 pretty good outfielders: no all-stars, but all of them playing pretty well. A modest proposal for Mr. Riggs: why not split the PT roughly equally among the four? Key for this is to cut down a bit on Hammer's PT in LF and Morgan's in CF. (Morse could of course play LF). Each player would start about 3 games out of 4--should be no rust gathering. Naturally, this gives the manager more to do: no simplistic lefty-righty platoons or "Nyjer is my everyday CF, and Hammer is THE LF" formulas to follow.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | August 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I was struck last night by the conspicuous absence of Clint.

Posted by: swanni | August 1, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I was struck last night by the conspicuous absence of Clint.

Posted by: swanni | August 1, 2010 11:47 AM

Yep, good point. Guess Kasten and co. just told him not to bother trolling through the 30,000 Philly fans for his mid-inning bits.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 1, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Got to the ballpark at 5:30 yesterday and had to go Standing Room, only tix available were $70 club level. What struck me was the number of Philly fans taking the Nyjer bobblehead. I shuddered to think what fate awaited them. Expected to see a barrage into the outfield or a convocation of voodoo rituals. Sadly, I expect I-95 north is strewn with their dismembered remains this morning.

Posted by: Natmeister | August 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Could they tell not to bother trolling through the 17-25,000 Nats fans on other nights as well? Let him work on Strasmas, if they need to keep him on the payroll.
------------------------
Posted by: Kev29 | August 1, 2010 11:54 AM

Posted by: BinM | August 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the key to fan happiness would be for Clint to INDEED go trolling through the Philthy fans and get pummeled. Nothing serious mind you, just a 2 month impairment of his vocal chords. And maybe he could take Debbie Taylor and the PA announcer with him.

Posted by: Natstoyou | August 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the number of philly fans walking around with Nyjer bobbleheads was really galling last night. and i spoke to many nats fans who didn't get one. probably because all the buses from philly arrived early, so they all came in the park and got our toys. rat bastards.

Posted by: DCguy7 | August 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

As I was enjoyiing my Standing Roon view in the upper deck last night a drunken young (didn't look 21) Philly fan being supported by his buddy staggered towards the seats during the first inning. His legs weren't working so his buddy just held him up rather than descend the stairs. The ushers took pity and brought out a couple of folding chairs for them. His friends tried to sober him up with soda and hot dogs but he kept slumping out of his chair. The ushers finally hauled him off to a room in the concourse. I mused on the irony that I was too sober to merit a chair but I commend the ushers for trying to help a fan in distress, albeit self inflicted. They did allow me to rest my old buns on a railing and I am grateful for that. They probably would have given me a chair had I asked but I didn't want to show weakness in the midst of Philly fans.

Posted by: Natmeister | August 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

One reason this happens is that Nationals fans are NOT Stan Kastens favorite ........the Nationals fan are there so that Stan's fans have someone to abuse a sort of bonus that not even their home park can offer ........it's Stans Plan and he has been true to his Plan

Posted by: CBinDC | August 1, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse