Today's lineups

Josh Willingham remains out of the Nationals lineup with a sore knee. Willingham, who hit a pinch-hit double last night, will again sit in favor of Willie Harris.

Nationals

5. Cody Ross, CF
6. Mike Stanton, RF
7. Donnie Muprhy, 3B
8. Brett Hayes, C
9. Ricky Nolasco, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 12, 2010; 2:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals Minor League Report
Next: Willingham's knee may require offseason surgery

Comments

Can't someone else play LF?

Posted by: roseglasses | August 12, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I decided to compare Willie Harris and Wil Nieves to see who would win the battle of worst player in the major leagues, and found that Nieves currently has a .462 OPS. The fact that he has a job in the MLB is unbelievable. He must be statistically one of the worst hitters of all time.

Posted by: dcsportsfan13 | August 12, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Boswell says Nats making progress.

Save it

I'm going for a smoothie

Posted by: Brue | August 12, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

hey Adam: any updates on Solis or A.J. Cole signing possibilities before Monday's deadline? (we all know we'll hear about Harper, starting at about 10pm on Monday!)

thanks!

Posted by: TheBorg | August 12, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't they want to watch Maxwell play some significant time in the outfield? Harris is not a major league ballplayer. Nieves is not a major league ballplayer. I'm begining to wonder if Kennedy and Morgan are majore league ballplayers. I sat in that easy-bake-oven last night to watch an uninspired team go through the motions. There was no fight in this dog.

Posted by: 6thandD | August 12, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Willie? He used to be good for us. Anyone remember?

Posted by: PattyinSJ | August 12, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Is Willingham the new Morse?

Is Morse the new Willingham?

Posted by: 202character | August 12, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this about Willie, he does have an impressive walk rate, especially for somebody so incapable of hitting.

Posted by: 202character | August 12, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Willie was about to get his own SuperHero character last year - oh what a difference a year makes!

Posted by: 1of9000 | August 12, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

1of9000: I think you're thinking of 2008, when Willie hit .251 with 13 HRs (played in 140 G, starting 87). last year he only hit .235. :-p

Posted by: TheBorg | August 12, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm not as good as I was in 2008 too!!

Posted by: 1of9000 | August 12, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjburns1 | August 12, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

>Watching the debacle last night at the park, it struck me that this team has no spark. It's just like they are going through the motions. They certainly are not having fun and despite the mgr' remarks I don't they are playing very hard either. If they were, it wouldn't be the same old performance every night.
Posted by: jjburns1

Why do you think the defense sucks? It's all about effort. If anyone thinks that the manager doesn't matter, just look at Buck Showalter and the Orioles. Or anybody else that knows what he's doing.
Btw, would you listen to a wet dishrag like this?

"I think our guys played hard," Manager Jim Riggleman said. "I know sometimes people get tired of hearing anything positive when you lose ballgames. But I thought we played with great effort. We hit the ball well. Our guys got after it real good."

Posted by: Brue | August 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but maybe the lack of "spark" had something to do with the fact that they were down 4-0 after a half inning and 7-1 after an inning and a half. The only thing the fielders were doing at that point was either making like a hockey goalie at third base or retrieving a bunch of doubles against the outfield wall. Not sure what fielding and "spark" has to do with that.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-continuing my convalescence from mouth surgery, so no work... you all are stuck with more of my observations!On the teams' lack of...something!...again I'll refer back to Gary Carter in the 1st game of the series.Here's the link (with thanks to catie-boy):

But, with all of our distress, here's a bit on RZimm I came upon regarding the NL MVP race from Cliff Corcoran over at Sports Illustrated:
"It's easy to forget that Zimmerman broke into the majors at the age of 20 and was slowed by a shoulder injury in his third full season. He rebounded from that injury to have a breakout campaign last year at the age of 24, and he's building on that performance this year. Even before his bat matured, Zimmerman was routinely the top defensive third baseman in the National League according to UZR. This year, he tops the majors by that measure, which combined with his power, patience and batting average at the plate, makes him one of the most exciting young players in the game. For those who have slept on Zimmerman, think of him as Evan Longoria in an alternate universe in which the Rays didn't make the leap to contention. Zimmerman can't steal bases, but he's the superior fielder and only a year Longoria's senior."
Now-Here's to hoping that sooner rather then later the Nats are playing in the same universe as the Rays!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | August 12, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

As for the fielding, Zimmerman's error came because of his ongoing mental block on certain throws. Desmond made his because he was trying TOO hard to make a play, not because of a LACK of effort. Morse should have gotten an error on that drive by Stanton and the problem was that he misjudged it because he's an inexperienced outfielder.

If there was a lack of effort involved in there or bad managing, I missed it.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 12, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

>If there was a lack of effort involved in there or bad managing, I missed it.

Posted by: baltova1