Today's lineups

Ibanez
Victorino
Sweeney
Ruiz
Halladay

By Gene Wang  |  August 20, 2010; 3:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Lannan getting 'back on track'
Next: Fan blog FAQ

Comments

Is this a fill in the blanks test?

Posted by: roseglasses | August 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Still holding out hope that even though Marquis is in lineup he's not pitching.... Gene's lineup does nothing to dash that dream. (By the way, ditto for Halladay).

Posted by: mojo6 | August 20, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Zuckerman, killjoy that he is, has both Marquis and Halladay pitching.

Posted by: mojo6 | August 20, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe when they take the field in the bottom of the first this evening they all get to race out to the position they want to play. Whoever gets there first claims that position. Desmond has a strong arm. I'm guessing he'll end up pitching.

Posted by: slopitchtom | August 20, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a close your eyes and hope for a miracle kind of night

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that so many of us had the same reaction. All I could think when I saw those lineups was *gulp*

And normally I'm the positive one!

Posted by: HenryStin | August 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

4 runs.

over/under for Marquis tonight?

4 1/3 innings.

over/under for Marquis tonight?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 20, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Just because Alexa blew the line-up cards yesterday, does not mean one gets to list a batting order without posting field positions. I mean, Dunn could be in LF again and we in the natosphere would not know it. As for the game tonight, there is a reason they play it folks. All is hope, until, at least, the 4th or 5th inning.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 20, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I must have had one of those brownies you get in Amsterdam, because I think Marquis is going to go at least 5 innings tonight and only give up 3 or less runs.

I'll say: 5.2 IP, 3 ER, 5 Hits, 3 BB, 5 SO

Posted by: erocks33 | August 20, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I am completely amused by the lineup as posted.
I'm hoping Desmond claims centerfield.

I have confidence that Marquis will come through tonight.
This confidence is based solely on alcohol and whimsy, but it is confidence nonetheless.

Marquis 7.0, 4H, 1BB, 1ER

There. I've done what I could to ensure a Nat's win. The rest is up to you Mr. Marquis.

Posted by: Sunderland | August 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Are there relievers warming up yet?

Posted by: thegraneys | August 20, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Maybe everybody gets a shot at pitching, it could work! Seriously, I think we should measure the Marquis de Sade's outings in number of outs and skip the other ugly stats. At least they should miss Howard for this series.

Posted by: Natmeister | August 20, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman's got that sidearm delivery that can be a little wild at times, maybe put some fear in the hitters.

Posted by: 202character | August 20, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the lineup's kinda funny, myself. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 20, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Having long mastered the art of the double switch, Nats Manager Jim Riggleman announced today that he will field a lineup in which he does a nontuple switch every inning, moving each starting player to a new field position and batting order position each inning.

"I want to keep the boys fresh," Riggleman said, when queried about the move, which is believed to be unprecedented in baseball history.

"And it adds all kind of new dimensions to our game. I'll bet Rollins will think twice before trying to lay down a bunt along the third base line with Dunn bearing down on him like a locomotive.

"And nobody's going to dig in at the batter's box with Desmond on the mound. Like Crash Davis once said, 'I have no idea where he's going to throw it - honest.'"

Asked what he'll do if and when he runs out of position players, Riggleman shrugged off the question. "I always have Willie (Harris). Only position he hasn't played yet is Teddy in the Presidents Race."

The Phillies announced before game time that they would be lodging an official protest with the Commissioner's office. Commissioner Bud Selig was unavailable for comment.

To make sure nothing goes wrong with his unprecedented strategy, Riggleman has placed a shoebox full of blank lineup cards in the visitor dugout this evening, in case the umpires lose track of who's on first.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 20, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Comic relief -- the elixir of fandom for a last place team.

Posted by: Natmeister | August 20, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The Phils who draw among the largest crowds in MLB will, as usual, be sold out tonight. Contrast that with watching the last three Braves-Nats games in the nearly empty Turner field: 16,911, 18,105, 15,593. Braves are leading their division and have the best home record in the at home bigs (44-17) despite the fact that nobody comes to watch?

Posted by: HondoHomers | August 20, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe one of the racing presidents could pitch? Perhaps Teddy has a good arm? He seems to have the height for it?

Posted by: periculum | August 20, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

And by the way @adhardiwick? You might just see Dunn in left field again if they decide to bring up Marerro to have a look at him.

Posted by: periculum | August 20, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Natmeister, at least we're the best last place team.

Posted by: 202character | August 20, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Well done, gilbert! Very funny.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 20, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

gilbert wins the Internets.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 21, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Hey, maybe the lineup was posted by one of those volunteer bloggers? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 21, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

gilbert....that was hilarious!! I spit my coffee on the keyboard!

Posted by: M20832 | August 21, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse