Game 135 discussion thread: Nationals at Pirates

The Nationals have gone 17 consecutive series on the road without a series win, and if that streak ever ends it should be this weekend. The Pirates are, by 4 1/2 games over the Baltimore Orioles, the most woeful team in the majors. Tonight, they'll throw Zach Duke against Livan Hernandez.

I got to the post a little late tonight. Through 1 1/2, the Nationals are tied 0-0, Ryan Zimmerman having been stranded after a double in the first. Talk about the rest of the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  September 3, 2010; 7:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reaction and fallout from Nyjer Morgan's suspension
Next: John McLaren, manager for a moment

Comments

Okay, we have our second baseman for the rest of the season.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 3, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

what's with the odd camera angle and camera work tonight? masn's b team on the road in pttsburgh tonight?

Posted by: cdstej | September 3, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Bob and Ray mentioned it early in the game - it's where the CF cameras are placed. Said it might affect their view of balls and strikes.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 3, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Tome for Nyjer to get on base and start stealing...

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 3, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice effort by Nyjer. I like how he glanced in his glove to see if the ball was there.

Good night Livo. How come we struggle so much with the poor teams?

Posted by: marathoner | September 3, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Both of Espinosa's extra-base hits have been opposite field.

I LOVE that. A guy who doesn't try to pull everything.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 3, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Adam,

Thanks for the quotes from Rizzo on Nyjer. Folks, I don't know how Rizzo can spell it out more clearly: he believes in "young" Nyjer as our CFer and leadoff hitter. He's the only sure thing in the 2011 outfield. You don't like it? Take it up with Mr. Rizzo, not lackey Rigs.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | September 3, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Half way back. Pen needs to come up big again.

Posted by: marathoner | September 3, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Ray Knight just finished his Dibble replacement audition tape - on air. Jeez, Ray, why don't u just ask the Lerners for an interview

Posted by: swanni | September 3, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Agree with swanni -- I guess after Dibble, suddenly Knight wants to ingratiate himself. "Nyger is the future of this team, and the plan is coming together thanks to the great work of the Lerners." Gag me.

Posted by: ammonite88 | September 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Look, Bob and Ray are employees of the team. They are NOT going to complain that their employers are cheapskates.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 3, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Yup, looks like Ray has concluded that he needs to be the anti-Dibble to get the job.

Candor, exit stage left.

Posted by: swanni | September 3, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ammonite88 | September 3, 2010 9:27 PM
______________________

Ray may wanna invest in a pair of these:

Posted by: TimDz | September 3, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I also took note that Ray didn't include Dunn in his analysis of the team's future. Nyjer he mentioned, but not Dunn.

Posted by: swanni | September 3, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I'm not so sure the nats have control over MASN's studio team; if not, that would explain why Ray was sometimes critical in the studio, but now upbeat in the booth. He would need to change his tune a bit to get on the Lerners' good side.

Posted by: swanni | September 3, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I remember Bob and Ray from the radio 50+ years ago.

Posted by: marathoner | September 3, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Bob and Ray were very funny; bob was the dad of comedian Chris Elliot

Posted by: swanni | September 3, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Knight is just painful to listen to. Makes me miss Dibble.

Espinosa was a nice surprise tonight but with Dunn gone next season, I fear another mediocre season - which would be the Nats 7th in Washington. At some point you can't keep blaming MLB for the Nats mediocrity.

Posted by: CountDemoney | September 3, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Agree that Ray was laying it on thick last nite, the sucking up was really noticeable.

But I'm hoping that's a "one-off" and that he resumes his usual form. I MUCH prefer him to Dibble. I think he's more knowledgable than Dibble (who was out of his element unless the subject was pitching).

I also got really tired -- long before the Strasburg incident -- of Dibble's sneering "if only they would do it like I used to" attitude. It got old a few months ago.

And Phil Wood is not a bad replacement for Ray for the pre- and post-game shows.

And, FWIW, I share Ray's excitement about the infield. Suddenly, with Espinosa and a significantly more disciplined (lately) Desmond, we have an infield trio at 3B, SS, and 2B that could become one of the best in baseball, with strong fielding and power potential at all three positions. Then if they manage to re-sign Dunn, or even move Morse to 1B next year, you have a pretty respectable infield that's infinitely stronger up the middle than what we had in 2009 and for much of this year.

Posted by: Meridian1 | September 4, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I think Ray had his talking points from mgt that Nyjer was staying around, and had to make that point. Reinforced what Rizzo said. I think however, he did make the subtle point when discussing Dunn and some others (not Nyjer) that those guys know how to run that bases, and that is really important. Silent jab at Nyj.

Posted by: RoyS1 | September 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

What - No comments on the public stoning that Livo absorbed last night, or taking notice that Dunn is slowly becoming a non-person with both the F.O., and media?

No, instead we follow the 'sleight-of-hand', focusing & commenting on the hype behind Morgan's suspension appeals & Dribble's departure from MASN.

That's just sad, imo.

Posted by: BinM | September 4, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, BinM, and what's even worse, we're getting (collectively) even more mean-spirited in here than ever, in the process. Either that, or the trolls have won.

But it's a last-place team that's going to come real close to losing 300 games in 3 years, and the minute anything interesting happens, somebody gets fired, suspended, or sliced open.
Still, if Nyjer is still around by Tuesday night, and I'm not fired, suspended, or cut open myself, I'll be there with hat and shades on. Unless they kick me out again for stepping on their dumb old grass.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

T-Flush and Sludge combined 0-8, 1 K, 1 DP. Bench the piss poor OF and the C who hasn't hit well for 5 years. Play Bernadina and Ramos every freaking night.

Posted by: TheJoeGreene | September 4, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse