Game 139 discussion thread: Mets vs. Nationals

September call-ups mean a chance for younger, untested players to show they belong in the majors. Today's game between the Mets and Nationals is just such an opportunity for a pair of rookie pitchers making their big league debuts.

Starting for Washington will be right-hander Yunesky Maya, who was recalled today from Class AAA Syracuse. He'll be the 14th starter the Nationals have used this season.

Opposing Maya will be Dillon Gee. The right-hander had his contract selected from Class AAA Buffalo yesterday.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last time two starting pitchers made their major league debuts in the District in the same game was Sept. 17, 1909, when Dixie Walker Sr. of the AL Nationals and Bill McCorry of the St. Louis Browns started at American League Base Ball Park.

Talk about tonight's game here, and check back after the final out for updates.

By Gene Wang  |  September 7, 2010; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  Yunesky Maya
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Bisenius looks to possible future with Nationals
Next: Josh Willingham named award nominee

Comments

Is Ray Knight drunk tonight?

Posted by: AlexVa1 | September 7, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Ths is not going well so far.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | September 7, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Man, Natinals are only 8 games better than the Orioles right now.

Talk about sad. For most of the season the O's were by far the worst team in MLB.

Now they're only 8 back of the Natinals.

Looks like the O's, with their new manager, are still the better of the 2 teams on MASN.

hhahahahahahhahahah

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 7, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

He's got a good slow curveball. Like Knight says he also has what looks like a splitter at 83, which can be scary if he doesn't get it down far enough. Slider's flat - looks like he drops his arm slot. Below average fastball because a) it's average and b) he can't seem to locate it without getting murdered. I guess they figured he was better than what they had. But that ain't saying much. You know the Yankees or whoever would have been all over him if he was all that anyway. When the only place you can scout a guy is at a two-week tournament once a year, I don't see how much you can actually learn about him. He's probably thrown 8 million innings too.

Posted by: Brue | September 7, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Brue

Posted by: PattyinSJ | September 7, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-I'm being driven into a fury. This team......once again, making a nobody look like Cy Young. They been reading their press clippings of late? Way to support YOUR new pitcher, too....swing at everything.Who needs to study this guy, we're ...the Nats! And lets get our new guy RIGHT back out there. Get him in rhythm buy making sure he doesn't sit to long!
Pitiful
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-So I guess we can't possibly let this guy throw more than, oh.....2, 3 pitches per batter? Way to be patient, guys! Maya looks like he settled down, at least....hard to imagine the whirlwind he's been in. I think he'll be just fine. And lest I forget.....opposing pitcher getting a hit?
Check.
Pitiful.....
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for jinxing the offense with your post today, Adam. The offense comes alive indeed.

Posted by: gtrain82 | September 7, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice to know we've decided the guy's entire future on five innings...

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

How's that concussion doing, Willie?

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 7, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris doesn't get concussions; he gives them.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 7, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I agree with the "Ray Knight is drunk" comment. Last inning, he predicted the Nats have a shot at leading the league in fielding next year. And his Danny Espinosa crush is reaching stalker levels...

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I dont follow you Brue. A "slow curveball"? Curveballs are supposed to be slow. Ask Livan.
"Below average fastball because a) it's average " Make up your mind - is it below average or average?
"he can't seem to locate it without getting murdered" - Yes he got rocked a bit in his first inning as a major league pitcher and then he settled down nicely. Thats hardly getting murdered.
And FYI the Red Sox, Mets, Phillies and yes even the Yankees (and others) were all very interested in signing this guy. But the Nats got him - it happens sometimes. But obviously you are ready to write him off after watching him pitch for 20 minutes.

Posted by: AlexVa1 | September 7, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the jinx of the 3 game winning streak at work, the capacity of this team to underperform is amazing. Momentum doesn't seem to exist. Only down by 3 and Detweiler cruising so there's still hope.

Posted by: Natmeister | September 7, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Just realized I misread your curveball comment - nevermind on that one!

Posted by: AlexVa1 | September 7, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-as long as I'm being bitter-what's wrong with Jerry Manuel letting Gee bat in the 7th? Doesn't he know that he shoulda pulled the pitcher after 6 innings? I mean, he's making his 1st start in the bigs!You might ruin his arm....get him to thinking that he's expected to go more than 5 or 6 innings! 'Course, the way we're swinging, he might go 12 innings before he tops 100 pitches....
Just......pit-ee-fulll.
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Suck it, Olsen. You're not the only LHP starter that can come out of the bullpen.

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 7, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Colin "Beanball" Balester in the 8th.

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 7, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and who isn't looking forward to Riggs' post-game "he pitched good" line-or "sometimes you gotta tip your hat blah blah blah....". Just once I'd like to hear SOMEONE-and preferably a player say "That was terrible on our part...unacceptable...." Oh, right....that's what they say BEHIND closed doors. And say it. And say it...(sorta like me when I'm fed up with a plate approach that....ah, never mind.)
So right, Natmeister, so right...
Did I say pitiful yet?
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

IMO, Maya has some impressive pitches. He definitely settled down. I think it's WAY too early to draw any conclusions about him, but I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch again.

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 7, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of too early to draw conclusions, I'm with Ray Knight -- I have a total man-crush on Danny Espinosa.

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 7, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

zendo: "Just once I'd like to hear SOMEONE-and preferably a player say 'That was terrible on our part...unacceptable....'"

We used to have a guy who'd do that. But they fired him for telling Strasburg to suck it up.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 7, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

@Zendo -- maybe I'm missing something, but what tonight was so unacceptable that needs to be called out?

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 7, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and since I seem to be making up for lost posts....I've been a big fan/supporter of Riggs. Who doesn't want to see a local guy make good. But as the season has worn on-and the continued insouciant attitude this team displays has worn thin-I just don't know if Jim is the guy to light the fire. Can't win 4 in a row? Really? REALLY? This team has too much talent to be this inconsistent. And yea, I know this ain't the '27 Yankees. Still....maybe they all have ADHD....Hey! We won THREE WHOLE GAMES in a ROW! We must be pretty good!
Can you imagine what the press would do to this bunch in a city like New York or Boston? Heck-even KC and Pittsburgh papers print pretty critical assessments.
Sorry, Gang...I know I trend towards the "orgiastic green light of the future" ( of Jay Gatsby) when it comes to the Nats. The future IS bright here. I'm also loath to criticize anyone without walking a mile in their shoes.I know this game ain't as easy as we like to make it. But if it isn't ONE little league area of play, it's another-over and over again. And the future-when EVER it arrives...well, it won't be the future-it'll be RIGHT NOW! so stop TALKING about it and start PLAYING like it, guys! Right NOW!
OK...hope I've let out enough bitterness for now.
Bottom 9 coming up...they never quit,huh?
Show us.
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-not taking any pitches, Dave n Don.
Not trying to work the count so's your teammates get a chance to assess an unknown pitcher....and giving YOUR new guy a breather by making your half inning last more than 10 pitches....Plus, after my total swoon over our prospects for the future, I'm just feeling bitter! They're supposed to win ALL of their remaining games!
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm with Dave and Donald on this one. I seem to remember somebody saying, "You can't win them all."

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

@Zendo -- if you discount the first half inning from a rookie pitcher with understandable nerves, it's been a pretty exciting pitching duel and a 1-1 game. We've seen some very good fielding from Zim and Espinosa as well as some solid pitching from Detwiler and Balester. We've lost plenty of games due to bad fielding and bad base-running, but I just don't see it tonight.

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 7, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

The Nats have the two Zimms, Desmond, and Pudge. Outside of that, they have no talent that has proven to me that they can compete on a team in the pennant race. Dunn can but he is a FA and might not be here next season. Ramos, maybe, Bernadina, maybe. Morgan, Kennedy, Olsen, Lannan, Balester, and Detwiler are all terrible. Sure they get hot here and there and show "signs". In the long run thou, the best talent wins, and with a cheap owner who won't spend, we get a very bad team on the field every year.

Posted by: dominic10464 | September 7, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

We'll see if they've got any karma left for tonight, because Espinosa represents the winning run right now...

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

No karma tonight.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Ray Knight has been hitting the sauce between innings i think then he made the statement about the pitching staff, he might need a designated driver to get him back to Va. Zendo you're on point we've made several first time starters look like Bo Belinsky (LOL) and by the way Rick Eckstein what was the plan tonite to hack away until we get lucky?

Posted by: dargregmag | September 7, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-agreed, Dave n Don. But hey-why break up a good self righteous pity party? (On my part). But this was a not so highly toutrd rookie whowe-once again-made look like an ace. And hey-he may be down the line. But we can beat Roy Oswalt....OH WELL, LETS WIN THE next 4 IN A ROW. cALLING cHARLIE bROWN...TIME TO KICK A FOOTBALL. (sorry for the caps...I type as well as the guys hit cruddy pitching!)
Sigh....but I got nothin' but love in my heart for my team (and the Gang here).
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 7, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? They set a record for most runs in an 11-game stretch, have one bad night hitting and we're going to criticize the hitting coach? You've got to be kidding.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes batlova1 i am going to criticize the hitting coach because this kid they faced tonite was nobody special at least not until he faced us and if you watched the broadcast Ray Knight stated that Gee had given up a ton of hits in the latter innings of his minor league starts this team has made several nondescript starting pitchers look like all stars this season.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 7, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

My only problem with people saying this is his first outing and that first inning can be attributed to jitters...fine...but what about the Mets pitcher...this is his first outing and where are the jitters...we need to stop making excuses for guys...Gee goes into the 6th inning with a no hitter...

Why not our pitchers sometimes????

Posted by: pentagon40 | September 7, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

So, darg, we're fair weather fans in your eyes for slamming Nyjer after months of mistakes. What are you for dumping on the hitting coach for one bad night?

Posted by: baltova1 | September 7, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the surging O's are 7 games ahead of the sputtering Natinals.

Bet you all miss Dibble now more than ever.

Hahahahahaha

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 7, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Seven games ahead? 53 wins is seven games ahead of 60?
Dude, put down the crack pipe and concentrate on your own sorry club. It takes a special kind of moron to be bitter toward a five-year old team that has never finished higher than 4th in its division.
Did Jim Bowden steal your Segway?

Posted by: mjhoya12 | September 8, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Good grief! Dominic says Detweiler is terrible (among others). Last year, after a poor start in the majors, Detweiler returned to AAA and pitched extremely well. He was recalled in September and was excellent for five or six starts with the Nats. Since then, he's been dealing with an injury. The negativity on this site is sometimes downright absurd.

Posted by: jcampbell1 | September 8, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

>But obviously you are ready to write him off after watching him pitch for 20 minutes.

Posted by: AlexVa1

The thing that popped out was that after he got nailed with his fastball, he stayed almost exclusively with the breaking balls and splitters. I only saw a handful of fastballs after he got hit early on. That, to me, showed that they didn't have confidence in his fastball, and it basically topped out at 90-91, which is very hittable. It's going to be a different story when they start looking for his curve or slider in fastball counts, which is what confused the not so hard-hitting Mets last night. If he can keep his splitter down, he may have a chance. The ump was also incredibly generous on the strike calls with the breaking ball, probably because he had never seen Maya's before. He won't get those calls off the plate every time he pitches. Looks like he has a propensity to nibble because none of his stuff is a plus pitch EXCEPT for the curveball. I don't know, he might go .500 over a long stretch, it's hard to tell right now, but I was under the impression that his fastball was better.

Posted by: Brue | September 8, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Derailing for a moment - I just want to thank zendo for classing up this blog.

I mean, when was the last time you saw the word "insouciant" and an F. Scott Fitzgerald reference in a sports blog? In the same paragraph, no less?

Makes wading past the semi-literate spewings of the feces-fixated chimp, hooting about his dismal AL team, all worthwhile somehow.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 8, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I can remember back to mid-may when we all drank the koolaid and said "Wow! 20-15? They will make the playoffs!" It's been the same inconsistency in fielding, offense and pitching.
Then one hot evening in August playing a woeful Chicago Cubs team at home. I sat wearing my red #37 jersey in section 117. Every player, yes, every player mailed that game in. Been watching on the tube and going to games since the Nats came to Dc in 05. That was the very first time I was disgusted and ashamed to be a Nats fan. My daughter and I left after the seventh inning (usually stay till the end). Along with many red wearing Nats fans.
I still watch on the tube and happy to see they are "playing their guts out" to use a phrase from a famous Redskins coach. But
since that game in August, I have lost the enthusiasm and passion I once had for this club. I know there are fans that stick with them no matter how they play because at least we have "major league" baseball in DC.
But at least I'm drinking the bourbon without the maalox now.
I work with a lot of Orioles fans. They are so happy Showalter became their Manager. They have a saying: "If you want to make the playoffs, don't play the O's!".
I will continue to watch the Nats for the rest of this season. But with the deficiencies in ownership, management and player personnel that has led this team down this path, the zest is gone.
Go Nats! Maybe in 2011 or 2012.

Posted by: M20832 | September 8, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse