Game 151 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Astros

Pitching coach Steve McCatty tried out a new fashion statement before the game. He sported rolled up pants, which revealed his old-school red stirrups against white socks. "Trying to change the luck a little bit," McCatty said. "Don't know if it'll work."

It's worth a shot. As it stands now, the Nationals are tied with Manny Acta's Indians for the sixth-worst record in the majors. They're only two -- two! -- games ahead of the Orioles. On July 7, when Buck Showalter took over, the Nationals were 12 1/2 games better than their norther neighbors.

Tonight's game, which promises to draw another sparse crowd, will feature a pair of young lefties, John Lannan and J.A. Happ. Both have been quite good lately -- Lannann is 6-2 with a 3.07 ERA since August began, and Happ is 4-2 with a 4.06 ERA.

Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  | September 21, 2010; 6:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals still deciding on Roger Bernadina
Next: Why Jim Riggleman pulled Drew Storen

Comments

"They're only two -- two! -- games ahead of the Orioles. On July 7, when Buck Showalter took over, the Nationals were 12 1/2 games better than their norther neighbors."

Fist, Kilgore, you probably mean August 7, not July 7.

And, see Natinal fans, Kilgore gets it. Another loss tonight by the Natinals, combined with yet another win by the Fighting Showalter's of Baltimore would put the O's only one game back of the Natinals.

Talk about sad that the O's have made up 10.5 games (to date) on the Natinals in only a month and a 1/2.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Johnny Boy's going to get someone killed with his 84 mph fastball tonight.

Posted by: Brue | September 21, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

If Riggleman was rewarded for his team's strong finish last year, shouldn't he be held accountable for the pathetic display of the last month (10-19)?

Posted by: BShea821 | September 21, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Totally demoralized team, same problems every game; starting pitching, errors, no hitting...see you next spring...

Posted by: bromisky | September 21, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I am a Nats fan but I have also always liked the Orioles. I root for both teams. I held false hope for the Nats most of the season, but now I realize they are just a terrible team with a bleak future. The Orioles will do much better than the Nats next year, maybe even finish above 500. So show a little compassion for the Nats--I did for the Orioles when they were suffering through their first half of the season.

Posted by: sweetpea365 | September 21, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

100 losses is not absolutely out of the question -- could get swept by the Astros, and the Braves and Phillies are both playing for something. Anyway, any talk of progress is vastly exaggerated.

Posted by: markfromark | September 21, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Lol! You're so right, markfromark!!

Posted by: Supporter51 | September 21, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 7:00 PM

I'd be perfectly fine finishing behind the Orioles in October, if you got hit by a Mack truck the next day.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Lol! You're so right, markfromark!! This reminds me of a few years ago when the Orioles were the only Major League team in the area and toward the end of the season were doing so bad, I'd think to myself, "They may not win another game."

It's deja vu all over again.

Posted by: Supporter51 | September 21, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Lol! You're so right, markfromark!! This reminds me of a few years ago when the Orioles were the only Major League team in this area

Posted by: Supporter51 | September 21, 2010 8:05 PM

Baltimore is not this area. Baltimore is in the Baltimore area. They just share one of our three airports.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Just out of curiosity, where you from originally, Kev?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Kev, don't understand why Baltimore is considered Washington area... Maybe because I'm (barely) old enough to have actual memories of attending Senators games, and I never did manage to become an Orioles fan. In fact, I will be at Nationals Park on Saturday, which will be my 50th birthday, and I will enjoy the game, and having a team here again, despite everything!

Posted by: skidge | September 21, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Why is Lannan batting? With the amount of guys in the bullpen there aren't overstretched.

Posted by: brothbart | September 21, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Well shows you what i know, he walks. LOL

Posted by: brothbart | September 21, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, there seem to be snipers on every rooftop - From the Lerners' on down, there is a bead drawn on just about everybody associated with either the FO or the 40-man roster.

Fire away folks, fire away... There's been enough mistakes made since 2006 that everyone has a piece of this mess. We'll see who is still standing at the end of the season, which as been much less than anyone of the fanbase had hoped for.

Posted by: BinM | September 21, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Just out of curiosity, where you from originally, Kev?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 8:15 PM

I was born at Georgetown University hospital, raised inside the Capital Beltway (Silver Spring) and went to school in NW. I am a Washingtonian. I really like the city of Baltimore and went to many an Orioles game as a kid, as they had the closest out if town baseball team. I wish the Baltimore team the best of luck (Poopy aide), but I was raised by Washingtonians who lost their Senators twice. I've been a Washington baseball fan every day of my life - just took 34 years to get our team back.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

You know you have some deep problems when you're anonymously wishing for people you don't even know to get hit with mack trucks, especially if it's because you disagree with said person about a particular baseball team.

Whats the score of the Astros/Natinals game?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-I think Bin mentioned gallows humor earlier....was that you, Kev, who said JMax couldn't hit water if he fell out of a rowboat in the ocean? Or something like that.....any hoo, gets my vote!
This is just wretched....At least Lannan has settled in. Too bad Cy Young is pitching for the Astros.....Ooooh, gotta go! Debbie Taylor's on!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Simper on, Carp and Ray!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-OK, Nats....you won't be shut out. Time to shut it down. We're counting on you, Willie!
Go Nats!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The check swing once again come back to bite the nats in the arse....

Posted by: TimDz | September 21, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I'm a fan of the closest team to where I live. I was an Orioles fan when DC had no team. The area I meant was within reasonable driving distance, not the DC metropolitan. I would never speak of Baltimore that way. Go Nats!

Posted by: Supporter51 | September 21, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Kev, appreciate the full response.

I find the DC/Baltimore - Sens-Nats/Os split to be kinda interesting. Just collecting data for my crazy-azz theories about three categories of people: people not from DC originally; people from DC who had an attachment to the Sens (for whatever reason); people from DC who grew up with the Os as their only (vaguely-regional-but-good-gawd-certainly-not-of-"this area") option.

(And for those who care about technicalities, the gov't. [OMB] considers the "Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area" a combined statistical area, something to do with "combined media and labor markets," yadda-yadda-yadda . . .)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Poopy should be emptying out his diaper genie before his wife kills him.

Posted by: periculum | September 21, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

From where I grew up B'more was little over an hour drive where as DC was about 45 mins.

So not all that much of a difference.

Oh, and I also root for the 'Skins, Wizards, Caps, Terps, and DCU.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

HE DIDN'T EVEN NEED A HIT!!!!

Espinosa can be forgiven, he`s playing above the level he`s ready for, but Harris is supposed to be a veteran.

Release Willie NOW! He stinks. We would be better off with Livo pinch-hitting.

Posted by: lesatcsc | September 21, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Yea, Tim...and against the Astros, I believe. Start of our slide....that WAS this year, right? As bad as we've been all on our own, it seems that the Umps think we're still owned by MLB...and the Nats are expected to lose to the teams they're "owned" by. It's something that's bugged me all year (bad calls that go against us) but in light of our own contributions, I figured that this was way down the list of things to be incensed about!
PS....do we lead the majors in balks?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes it was zendo...right on both accounts...against the astros and the start of our slide...
Carpenter said it best...when you are in last place...you won't get the calls...
That being said...BOTH of those called 3rd strikes were no where close...

Posted by: TimDz | September 21, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-JayB over at the Insider just used the phrase "surreal" to describe this team and it's short history in the Nations' Capital (or should that be "Natins' Capital, Mr. McP? Arrgh!). Wish I'd thought of that one. Totally appropriate, IMHO.
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Pudge...

Posted by: TimDz | September 21, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's say they get swept by the Stro's and lose series to the Braves and Phils and Riggs gets the hook, i'm thinking Randy St.Claire former Nat's pitching coach as manager any thoughts?

Posted by: dargregmag | September 21, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I turn away for a couple minutes and something good happens. Have to do that more often. I went last night and after the first half inning tonight was glad I didn't tonight. Now I wish I had regardless of the outcome.

Posted by: marathoner | September 21, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't see that one happening dargramps...

I think if Riggs gets the hook, the team will go after a bigger name or an up and coming name...Sandberg if Chicago doesn't go after him?

Posted by: TimDz | September 21, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Well that's what i get for being negative................................GO NATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | September 21, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

While I have enjoyed going to Orioles games at Memorial Stadium and now Camden Yards over the years, I never felt that the Orioles represented the Washington area. The Orioles belong to Baltimore. Indeed some of my wife's family who are Baltimore natives did not much care for the "fans" coming up from the Washington area.

Posted by: CountDemoney | September 21, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-No WAY, bro dargreg. It'd just be an excuse for the Slows to not hire a pitching coach after they released McCatty. I mean, Randy could do both jobs, eh? That's money they could invest in the future....!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

You old enough to have been conscious of the Sens when they were in town, Count?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-anyone have a guess as to the "paid" attendance tonight AND the "actual" attendance?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

(Meanwhile, Nats are playing like it's April.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow. An honest to God rally and much with two outs. Now I really wish I'd gone tonight.

Posted by: marathoner | September 21, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Batting around is fun :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice to be on the OFFENSIVE side of a rally...

Posted by: TimDz | September 21, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Clippard ties Livo in wins! Have we ever had two pitchers in double figures???

Posted by: paulkp | September 21, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, come on, Riggleman. Let Storen finish it out. Show just a tiny bit of confidence in your staff for once.

Posted by: DavidandDonald1 | September 21, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Like I said before and finally, I don't consider Baltimore to be in the Washington metropolitan area. And I read that silliness the OMB put out. Trash that idea!

Posted by: Supporter51 | September 21, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Wuh-hoo! May this be the first of many seasons that the Nats don't lose more than 100 games!

Posted by: Juan-John1 | September 21, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Bang... Zoom... Can't lose a hundred.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

It can't be good when the manager comes and get's you and there's a four run cushion, a little baffled by Storen's inability to get out's.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 21, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Clip ... Pudge ... nice to know the city of Houston didn't completely own us in sports this week ...

Posted by: reddog278 | September 21, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what fun!
(Stevie, if it helps any with your theories, for me the attachment came from attending Senators games with my father when I was ages 7-10... and then they left. Don't know if I ever would have been a baseball fan of any kind otherwise... And I was born in DC and have lived in the immediate suburbs my whole life except for college...)

Posted by: skidge | September 21, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-WHEW! No 100 losses. Small victories. And dargreg-Waddya think about my take on Randy as manager?! Seriously....I don't know of many pitching coaches who become managers (I remember Ray Miller). Seems like pitching coaches are in their own little baseball world....but pulling Storen had me nonplussed as well.
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

My husband went upstairs to read about the 7th inning or so. When I came up just now to tell him how the game ended, he was like "get out of here" and thought I was kidding.

Great start by Lannan and good to see the bats come alive, even if it was late in the game. Way to go, Pudge, to get it all started. I've always liked the stirrup socks look, btw. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Welp, the Fighting Showalter's just keep on trucking. Not only have they won 2 in a row against the Sox, tonight they practically emptied Fenway Park out. Tough to send Sox fans home before the game ends, but the mighty Orioles did just that.

Checking other scores, oh well.....Looks like the Natinals found a nut tonight. Good for them. Seems it took Pudge, one of the few real ballplayers the Natinals have, to really get things jump started.

Orioles still just 2 minuscule games back of the Natinals.

And not to rub salt in an open wound, or come off negatively at all, but if the Natinals have fans actually celebrating the fact that the team cannot lose 100 games, well, unfortunately that says a lot about the organization, the direction it is heading, the value that is placed on winning, the expectations of both franchise and fan. Shows just how far the team located in the Nations Capital has to go.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, skidge, and agreed: offense can be fun, too.

So far, I'm feeling good about my theories: B+ thesis.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Natin's Capital, right, Po?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 21, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I did not grow up in the Mid-Atlantic region, never lived in the Baltimore area, and never rooted for that team up north (nor do I do so now). I embraced the Nats from day one. Could we talk about WASHINGTON baseball, perchance, or has this blog officially been hijacked?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Incase you cant read sir or madam, while there is mention of the more successful team located in Baltimore, the Natinals are the primary point of my posting.

Nothing wrong with that, other than the fact that you do not like the facts that I bring up and discuss, in regards to the Washington Natinals franchise.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Great win tonight.Let's take two out of three. It has always been rather strange to me that some people cannot enjoy the sucess (all be it rather late in the season) of their team but must always belittle another's. Progress is being made and the season is not over yet. A good finish this season and a decent one next year and the troll will go the way of one "O's Executive' (whatever happened to that guy/gal?

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | September 21, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Yea Poopy those o's are mighty! Just 31 games back and 13 straight losing seasons what a sucessful franchise that is

Posted by: forever211 | September 21, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

OK, natsfan1a1, as you have succumbed to complaining about the troll, I would only suggest that you hit the 'report abuse' button and hope for the best. This individual obviously has a sick mind.

Posted by: nats24 | September 22, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

This individual (Sir Poopy_McPoop) obviously has a sick mind.

Posted by: nats24 | September 22, 2010 12:53 AM
===============================

Believe me,loose stools, if i ever found out who you were, I'd happily punch you lights out. Get out of here!

Posted by: nats24 | September 20, 2010 12:47 AM

=============

What was that about a "sick mind"?

I don't seem to ever recall myself threatening physical violence against any poster. Nor have I acted like a brazen, keyboard cowboy, unlike yourself.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 22, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Stevie's question and the Poopster's answer, as well as SkinsFan's comments, point to an interesting battle for the hearts and minds of baseball fans in suburban MD (ie, between DC and Baltimore). Some, like the Poopster, have remained loyal to the O's and are still angry that (1) MLB moved the Expos to DC, invading Angelos's territory, and (2) many of their fellow baseball fans have abandoned the O's and embraced the Nats. Of course, the Poopster cannot wish the Nats well: they and their fans must be punished and fail. But most baseball fans in this gray area between Washington and Baltimore are like SkinsFan: they sort of follow both teams and will jump on the bandwagon of whichever one is doing better at the time. Hence, SkinsFan announces that he's going over to the O's (for now).
Sports Junkies on the radio also fall into this category.
This category of MD fan should be of great interest to both Angelos and the Lerners: whoever, if either, can build a consistent winner first can instill brand loyalty in these currently unattached or weakly attached fans.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | September 22, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

-----

Poopy, your comments have no point. That's the problem. "Nanny, nanny, boo, boo" doesn't qualify as a comment. That's why I wish people wouldn't engage you and you would go away.

-----

As for the fan survey, FWIW, I grew up a die hard O's fan in Baltimore, moved away, saw my interest in the team fade as Angelos ruined them, moved to Northern Virginia and started following the Nats upon arrival. I found it interesting to watch what I thought would be the development of a solid team over the years. Let's just say they're starting to test my patience with the pace of this development.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 22, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

As for survey, it's clear which category I fall into: grew up in DC and saw my first MLB games at Griffith Stadium.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | September 22, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse