Game 154 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Braves

The Braves currently have a half-game lead in the wild card, and the Nationals are miles from contention. But the Nationals have actually been a thorn in the Braves' this year. The Nats are 8-7 against this Braves and are one of only two teams who best the Braves in a series at Turner Field. This, of course, is a pivotal stretch for the Braves, who are trying to get Bobby Cox to the playoffs in his final season.

The Nationals? Well, they have a chance to win four straight games for the first time all season, which is kind of remarkable. They'll have to do it against Tim Hudson, who has oppressed them like no other starting pitcher during their brief team history. Jordan Zimmerman will go for the Nats in his fifth start since coming back from Tommy John surgery.

Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  | September 24, 2010; 6:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nyjer Morgan will return from his suspension tomorrow
Next: Willie Harris's inside-the-park homer and other leftovers

Comments

Been a good day reading both skins_fan_22 and dfh21 (along with myself) really laying the wood to delusional Natinal fans.

I like how all 3 of us use facts to back up our claims about the O's being leaps and bounds better than the Natinals.

Unfortunately Natinal fans are just bitter and will make up any excuse and lie, just to make it appear that the Natinals are better than the O's.

Luckily there's some of out there who can see past the malarkey these rubes are saying.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 24, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

What a "troll" post natsfan1a1.

You post discusses nothing baseball or Natinal-related.

You sir, are the TROLL of all TROLLS

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Zinn hitting 95 - 97 on the radar gun tonight, huh? Would be good if that's real, and not just a radar gun anomaly.

Posted by: Sunderland | September 24, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

McP:
Glad you have the O's to root for. Showalter seems to have them pointed in a positive direction, but they'll still have a 'tough row to how' in the AL East.

The Yankees & RedSox are who they are (lots of income, driven to win), while Tampa Bay & Toronto are both young & talented, but underfunded; Baltimore falls in this 2nd group as well, imho.

The Nationals have clearly 'under-performed' since June, much in the way the Orioles did before Showalter (April-July). Sadly, both teams will finish in last place in their respective divisions for 2010.

Let's see what 2011 brings, since neither team has much to play for outside a 'spoiler' role this year.

Posted by: BinM | September 24, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, po:

If you knew your "behavior" on this blog made it less likely people would come here, read, comment, exchange ideas, etc., that is, that people enjoyed this less - and used it less - because of you, would that affect you in any way?

And are people who are trolls in their comments also pretty miserable in real life, or is it just a role that people play for whatever reason?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Batlova 1: What did i tell you?

Posted by: dargregmag | September 24, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

McP:
If you had been paying attention, rather than just dropping by to gloat & drive up WAPo's web-hit counts, you would likely know that 1a1 is a woman, and should be addressed as either Ms., Madam, or simply 1a1.

The 'sir' reference is just as foolish as idiot, dumba**, dolt, putz, or any one of a multitude of other slurs that can be used.

Your posts sometimes have a glimmer of truth in them, but get a clue about who you respond to.

Posted by: BinM | September 24, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Zinn let them get loaded, struck out McLouth for the 2nd out, and then a simple ground out, closing the inning, up 3 - 0. Zinn looks very good tonight.

Posted by: Sunderland | September 24, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@Sunderland:
Thanks for dragging us back to the moment. Zinn looks decent tonight, but just gave up a solo HR to Infante - 3-1 Nats, with 2 out in the 5th.

Posted by: BinM | September 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

darg, you da man. At least for 4 1/2 innings. Let's hope it lasts.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 24, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang...I'm following online tonight. Any reason why Zimn left after 5 and only 85 or so pitches? No injury I hope? Anyone have a clue? Thanks.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | September 24, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

BinM while I appreciate you pointing out, in a very passionate manner, that natsfan is a female, I find it ironic that you don't hop on other posters here who threaten physical violence. However, if my mention of 'sir' offended natsfan1a1 than I offer my sincerest apologies.

As for your previous post, the Red Sox will be a completely different team next year. And while money definitely is a factor it doesn't seem to be doing them much good this year. As for the Rays, Pena and Crawford are most likely gone at the end of the year.

Also the Orioles can definitely spend much more than either the Jays or Rays. With MASN full functional and bringing in some big bucks I wouldn't be surprised if this offseason or next the O's start really putting those funds to good use.

And the Yanks, well they're still the Yanks and giant d0uchers to boot.

Oh, and since Buck's taken over the O's have played above .500 ball against AL East teams. So that bodes well for the upcoming season in 2011.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@Naugatuck:

No injury, just a pitch limit. The FO doesn't want him to go much over 80-85 pitches for the remainder of the season. Come 2011, he'll be nearly 18 months past the surgery, and should get turned loose.

Posted by: BinM | September 24, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Dunn comes through with 2 outs and men on base! 3 hits, 2 HR's, 5 RBI. He's our boy, well, for another week or so.

Posted by: Sunderland | September 24, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be really hard to keep positive if we don't sign Dunn. For all his faults he can just put the team on his back at times. I'll put up with the Ks, poor ABs against leftys and with 2 outs as well as his D for that.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | September 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Dunn is 3-4 with 5 RBI's. This against a good team and a good pitching staff. How do we replace him? That just isn't clear to me. We have 6 runs tonight and he is responsible for 5 of them. On an unrelated note, If Zimmermann can be next year's Stassburg, and the Nats add a front-line starter, bridging the gap between 2011 and 2012 may not be such a daunting task after all. Go Nats!

Posted by: fpcsteve | September 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm going with, he'll be here next year, Sund. Just a gut feeling - getting it on the record.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

fpcsteve, I worry about missing Dunn's dugout and clubhouse presence as much his bat. Would just have to think it would bumm the whole clubhouse out not to have the big donkey in there. Remember at the WBC they said Dunn was the guy who kept US loose, by all accounts a good teammate. And he was on Top Chef!

Posted by: SCNatsFan | September 24, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 8:02 PM
-----------

Hey if people don't want to come here because of my posts, well that's on them. Really think I'll lose sleep at night.

And if you're referring to me as a "troll" with a "miserable life," well that couldn't be further from the truth.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

OMG.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 24, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't see that every day. Fast Willie Harris. Looked like he ran outta gas comin' around 3rd.

Posted by: Sunderland | September 24, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Willie dragging a bit around third but he made it. Glad the throw wasn't that great. Go willie.

Posted by: marathoner | September 24, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Adam Dunn is making a compelling case for himself, we will find out how serious the Lerners are about the fans and building a winner when negotiations start in earnest during the off season.Willie Harris just hit an inside the park homerun to drive another nail in the Braves playoff coffin.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 24, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

darg, get a picture of Willie sliding across home plate and circulate that at the office on Monday. Should go over well...

Posted by: baltova1 | September 24, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

McP:
I'll step in when posters I know & respect are imo, disrespected. Posters who overreact through threatened violence have dropped to a primitive level that I can neither comprehend or respond to.

To the remainder of your post - Yes, the RedSox will be different next year, but they have salary off the books, and $$$ to spend; You can't count them out. The Yankees are in a league of their own, regardless of their debt load.

The Rays may take a tumble in the standings in 2011, if the owner stands by his 'the payroll will drop' statement. Toronto's bullpen is a little long in the tooth, but they still have some depth, and a decent salary level.

Your Orioles have some young talent, some salary coming off the board, but some upcoming holes as well (1B/DH, SS, bench). You also have a decent GM in McPhail - If Angelos breaks open the wallet, the Orioles have a decent shot at a .500 record in 2011.

Posted by: BinM | September 24, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

That's what I mean, po - you genuinely don't care what negative effect your actions have, even if the general consensus is that you're coarse, petty, argumentative, needling, a jerk, . . . however people choose to describe it.

Genuinely interesting. Pretty pathological, but interesting.

And I wrote "miserable in real life," not "miserable life:" in other words, are you that way in the real world, too? Or do you get something particular out of being that way on the web?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

---

OK, so you're a full size person with miserable life. Seriously, you've made your point, you like the O's, think they're great b/c they've fired their way to "only" 90+ losses in a lost year. We get it. Can you go away now? What exactly are you accomplishing other than compensating for something that is lacking somewhere else in your life?

And stop saying you're backing up your "arguments" with facts. Misspelling a team name over and over, and saying those who disagree with you "lie" -- them's not facts. And if you think MASN brings anyone big bucks (and is going to give the O's $ to compete in the AL East), you're farther off your rocker than you appear. And you appear pretty far. BOTH the Nats and Os have miserable audience ratings for local TV.

Posted by: cdstej | September 24, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

This looks like our first 4 game winning streak of the season. Is that correct?

Stands look like they have a lot of people tonight. Somebody send a pic to DCist and see if they make it Pic of the Day. Ha! One of the meanest blogs in town when it comes to the team. They are WAY against baseball there.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 24, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

SCNatsFan, I hadn't even taken your point into account. Thanks for the reminder. I think Morse has played himself into next year's lineup as part of a rotation with Bernadina (like Roenicke and Lowenstein as another poster noted yesterday). We get the benefits of his bat and Bernadina's speed and defense. It isn't Dunn or Morse; it's both. So, question is, who out there is better than Dunn? I don't know the answer to that question tonight. Go Nats! dargregmag, Willie was channeling his inner Ed Stroud.

Posted by: fpcsteve | September 24, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

ponce, don't jinx 'em...

Posted by: baltova1 | September 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I heart Burnett. I still heart Clippard, too. Great outing tonight. Oh, hell, I heart Peralta, too. Full of love tonight.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | September 24, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"Little League Triple"

HI-larious.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

@fpcsteve:
Ed Stroud, now that's an 'old school' reference; Sweet!

As far as Morse goes, I think he's earned a contract for next year. Now, where he plays is another question, for another day. Maybe RF, maybe 1B, maybe another team - We'll see in Spring Training.

Posted by: BinM | September 24, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I'm really enjoying this game!

And I just don't get Poopy and those of his ilk. What do the O's have to do with us? I don't see, say, Mariners fans, or fans of any other random team, posting "nyah nyah nyah" here like he does. I really don't think about the Orioles---whether they're World Series competitors or as bad as they are now, I'd feel the same way about them, and it wouldn't change how I feel about the Nats. What gives?

Posted by: skidge | September 24, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

They gotta sign Dunn. That's all there is to it. PLEASE!!!

Posted by: twinbrook | September 24, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Is there something wrong with me taking satisfaction at the thought of sending an old man into retirement without one more shot at the big dance? Cause that's where I am.

Posted by: markfromark | September 24, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 9:35 PM
---------

Let's put it this way, one of my good friends once told me for the first 3-4 months he new me he thought I was a gigantic a sshole. So there ya go.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

The thing about signing Dunn is, it would cost money.

Posted by: markfromark | September 24, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markfromark | September 24, 2010 10:06 PM |
--------

Hahahaha. Natinal fans would be giddy with joy to get a manager 1/10th as good as Bobby Cox.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Enh, I'd be fine with Cox stumbling into one last hurrah, mark. But I'm kinda biased - the Braves are my family's long-time favorite team.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

@BinM..
Thanks for the info on Zimn earlier. That's what I was hoping. I didn't realize that he was still on such a low count.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | September 24, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

There's 4.

Posted by: skidge | September 24, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Cool, po - I'm not spooling - not looking to slow your roll or get in the way of your gig or whatever. You like winding people up, that's cool - it's the freakin' internet.

But you are a troll; c'mon, don't insult us by insisting otherwise.

What's interesting to me is whether you

a) do it - purposefully, as a "role" - on the internet because you gain particular enjoyment from it, or

b) whether that's actually you in real life: essentially a "miserable" person, in the sense that, you gain your pleasure generally by causing - whether you see it that way or not - other people's discomfort or anger or unhappiness.

But I get it. Everyone’s been accused of being a jerk at some point in their life, and with most people it gives them pause and leads them to think a bit. You, apparently not, and as I said, that’s cool. That’s your thing.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Bang! Zoom! Four in a Row! As much as I whould like to see Bobby Cox make the post season, I want the Phills to clinch before they get here.

Posted by: twinbrook | September 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Burnett is turning into a out-making machine. The Nats have things to fix, but the BP doesn't look like one of them. I mean, we lose Capps, get Ramos, and have guys fill Capps's shoes. Pretty nice. The BP was pretty much bullet-proof tonight.

Posted by: fpcsteve | September 24, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice win - finally a 4 game streak.

Posted by: CountDemoney | September 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 9:35 PM
---------

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 10:06 PM

He was right.

Posted by: RireGrist | September 24, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

And after 4 months he knew it to be true.

Poop...how bout them O's? Oh yeah...lost again.

I was just looking at the Orioles stat. They have no bullpen. Absolutely nothing. Compare the Nats pitchers' ERAs...not even close.

The O's have one possible major leaguer (Luke Scott). The rest are pathetic. 13 straight years below .500 and they have no chance of breaking that streak next year.

Hpw's the view from your mom's basement, Poop?

Posted by: stantonpark | September 24, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

And after 4 months he knew it to be true.

Poop...how 'bout them O's? Oh yeah...lost again.

I was just looking at the Orioles stats. They have no bullpen. Absolutely nothing. Compare the Nats pitchers' ERAs...not even close.

Hpw's the view from your mom's basement, Poop?

Posted by: stantonpark | September 24, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Whadayouknow four in a row....guys, lay off of poop, it's tough facing reality after spending all day everyday on World of Warcraft...

Posted by: bromisky | September 24, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Our future 1st baseman 35 yr old Derek Lee didn't look too good tonight in contrast to the 30 yr old Dunn. How did Pena do?

Posted by: CountDemoney | September 24, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Dude, how many posts do we need from the diaper genie in Dundalk? Back to RI Poopy! And they talk about me?

In any case 4 in a row ... finally ... Dunn-key with 100 RBI and 37 homers. Big score again!

Looks like they may stave off the O's from catching them from behind eh Poopy?

Posted by: periculum | September 24, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

If you want to see McPo at his worst, wait until basketball season over on Terp Insider. He gets folks all riled up and its almost funny but then again, it is pretty much nailed by stevie in gp. Just a miserable old soul trying to stir up the fans of a team be it the Nationals or Terrapins. Only difference I see is that he doesn't have a college team, he just trys to crush Gary and the Terps. He does draw attention so you have to give him that.

I was at Wed & Thursday's games and we played really well in the field. Must have been at least 5 ++ plays in the infield on Thursday. It is nice when we win and with our attendance the beer lines are non-existant.
Go Nats
Sign Dunn!

Posted by: sjm3091 | September 24, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Bang! Zoom! (that one's for you, BinM) :-)

Loved Willie's inside-the-parker even more than Dunn's dingers. He was burning it down that baseline!

Actually, I would feel kinda bad for Cox if they didn't make it. He seems like a stand-up guy. Then again, do I really want to watch the Tomahawk Chop into late October? I think not.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 24, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Aww, don't worry, peri - you're still one of my favorite original RI trolls, buddy.

Wee Willie's last few yards reminded me: it's been a while since I had that surreal feeling resulting from extreme exertion/exhaustion where your body essentially forgets in mid-action how to do that thing you're exerting yourself so much to do, e.g., running.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 24, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm just the Mr. Potter of baseball. I'm just a tired, miserable old man, and I want everyone else to be miserable too. Bobby's at hand. No point in rooting against the Phillies. And I can't even think about the White Sox.

Posted by: markfromark | September 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

As God is my witness, I will never go to Natty Park again if Dunn is not back next year!!! (GWTW reference due to playing Atlanta tonight).

Posted by: justmike | September 24, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

He'll be back -- he doesn't want to DH, so he's staying in the league.

Posted by: markfromark | September 24, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

The capital of misery? St. Louis. Bad business there.

Posted by: fpcsteve | September 24, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else pumped up for Ghost Adventures coming on in 17 minutes?

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

One comment about tonight's game: Loved having the bright youngsters in the Braves lineup do so well against Batista...Age, Guile, and a nasty attitude beats youth, beauty, and talent every time.

For the troll...about the time next year, when they are dead last in the AL east and the players suddenly get tired of Showalter's attitude (happens every time), get back to us.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | September 25, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me that the Atlanta left fielder was responsible for the inside the park home run. If he had backed up the center fielder after the ball bounces off the center field wall instead of making the right fielder do it then Willie Harris only makes it to third.

Posted by: Budly | September 25, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Look, I warned you not to feed it after midnight, but did you listen? No.

All it wants is to break other people's toys, and spread unhappiness in world already too sad. I don't care what it likes, or what it's day job is. I don't even care that it's illiterate (and I usually do care about that in here).

Something that used to be good is now fouled, and I think it's beyond cleaning. And that's a shame.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 25, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Here, here, Sec3. I'll miss your song lyrics.

Gawd, I hope the Phils clinch before Monday.

Posted by: nats24 | September 25, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Man, Sec3 comes with a heartfelt, plaintive cry for - at the very least - literacy, nats, and you second it with, "Here, here . . .??"

(Sigh . . .)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 25, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Stevie, "here, here'' is the way to second a motion or a statement in the British parliament.

Posted by: nats24 | September 25, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, thought it was "hear, hear" personally.

According to wikipedia:
"It is often incorrectly spelled "here here", especially on websites and Instant messaging."

Posted by: NatAlbert | September 25, 2010 1:59 AM | Report abuse