Nationals announce 2011 schedule, will open at home

The Nationals released their schedule for the 2011 season tonight. The full schedule can be viewed here. The key dates to know:

*The Nationals open at home for the second straight year, hosting the Braves on March 31, April 2 and April 3.

*For interleague play, the Nationals will host the Mariners and the Orioles. They will play at the Orioles, Angels and White Sox.

*The Nationals will make their longest West Coast trip from June 2 to June 12.

*The Nationals' first games at home against the Phillies will come April 12, 13 and 14.

*The Nationals will close the season on Sept. 28 with three games at Florida. Their final home series is Sept. 23-25 against the Braves.

*The Nationals open with 12 games against NL East opponents and close with 16 games within their division.

By Adam Kilgore  |  September 14, 2010; 8:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 145 discussion thread: Nationals at Braves
Next: Ian Desmond is becoming the Nationals' leader

Comments

I see we got stuck with the annual Interleague hodgepodge next year ... sitting one series out to make up the token NL-only games, trips to one team in each of the three AL divisions ... can we just bag that novelty finally?
Good news is I can travel down to Anaheim again as in '05. I'm not the biggest fan of starting in March, but I suppose it keeps Commissioner Bud's Bloated MLB Post-Season Tournament (TM) out of November, so I can deal.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | September 14, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Based on this season, the less interleague games the better.

Posted by: amorris525 | September 14, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how they won't finish 162-0 next season. This is Natinals baseball and this is Nats Town!

Posted by: jwing14 | September 14, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Of course, I truly hope jwing14 is right, but tonight is cause for celebration. The Nats shut out a team fighting for the playoffs. Livo was masterful and Burnett did a great job in the 9th.

I began the night thinking the losing streak might go to 9-10, but now I think the Nats could win tomorrow.

Go, Lannan!

Posted by: nats24 | September 14, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

What's with the March 31st Thursday start? Is there going to be an Opening Night game on the Wed?

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | September 14, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm with @GoNatsTerps on the curiosity factor. There seems to be a concentrated effort to push the schedule forward one week in 2011. March 31 Opening Day and a Sept 28 finale? Traditionally it's the first Monday in April and the season ends the first few days of October before the playoffs start.

Is MLB trying to make sure they stay out of November in the World Series? What's the bigger story here?

Posted by: ryaneades | September 15, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Need start times for home games. I want to go to as many weekday day games as I can. There's usually one a month.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 15, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

GREAT!!!!! We get the Marlins for the last series.

Posted by: hansenjo | September 15, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Well, we do play two teams from AL West, and we always face the O's. The White Sox would seem to be the outlier, though it's a good reason for me to visit family and friends in the Chicago area.

If I may add my own whinge, I kinda like having the final game of the season at home, but I guess we lose that with the home opener. I'm not big on crowds and tend to avoid home openers and other big hoopla events.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 15, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Really odd that opening day is on a Thursday. Can't ever remember that happening before.

Good news, though, is that the Nats have home games on the following holidays:

Memorial Day (Phillies)
Fathers Day (Orioles)
July 4th (Cubs)
Labor Day (Dodgers)

Not too shabby. Also noticed that we have two different home series with the Pirates (5/16-5/17 and 7/1-7/3). That's 5 home games and 3 away games against the Buccos.

Posted by: erocks33 | September 15, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

opening day is midweek in order to accomplish the goal of having the world series conclude in october, not november.

and i'm guessing one of the opening day games gets moved to tuesday or wednesday as the opening night centerpiece.

Posted by: xrvax | September 15, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Not much as news is concerned but I guess it's gotta be reported.

Posted by: richs91 | September 15, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse