Nationals extend affiliation with Potomac

The Nationals today announced they will extend their contract with Class A Potomac through at least the 2011 season. The Nationals have shared an agreement with Potomac since the team came into existence in 2005, making 2011 their seventh season together.

Potomac will continue its Carolina League championship series tonight at Pfitzner Stadium against Winston-Salem. The series is currently tied at one game a piece.

By Adam Kilgore  |  September 16, 2010; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are the Nationals playing the spoiler, or just playing?
Next: Nyjer Morgan suspended eight games [UPDATED]

Comments

Interesting - I was under the impression that MWA's (Minor-league Working Agreements) were usually 2-year deals.

Posted by: BinM | September 16, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

A few years ago I thought I heard Potomac was gonna build a new stadium. Whatever happen to that?

Posted by: tcostant | September 16, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Recently, I attended one of the Potomac playoff games up at Frederick. I noticed that they traveled there in one of the ultra-fancy "dreamliners" as pictured in the Wash Nationals programs. Do they go in that style on all their road trips? I was up a week or two earlier to watch the Keys play Kinston---the Kinston bus was a 20+ year-old no-frills coach.

Posted by: Slidell | September 16, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Reading between the lines, Prince William County has less than a year to move forward on a replacement for the Pfitz! It will be a shame to see this franchise leave PW for greener pastures in Loudoun County. This franchise has deep roots in the community and fantastic booster support. Come on PWC supervisors let's get this done already!

Posted by: PNats91 | September 16, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Definitely a two year agreement. All minor league working agreements are a minimum of two years-- at which point existing teams have exclusive negotiating rights until mid Setpember-- at which point all teams that have not re-signed working agreements with their current affiliates essentially become free agents, welcome to negotiate with any team looking for a team at that level.

This year, it is looking like very minimal turnover-- none at AA, so far only one team switching at AAA (Texas to Round Rock since Round Rock is owned by Nolan Ryan's family). Obviously, at least one other team will be swapping at AAA as a result. In Hi A, where Potomac is, there are currently 6 teams that are "free agents" 3 in Carolina League and 3 in California League-- some talk of Braves leaving Myrtle Beach-- will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Posted by: pennquaker | September 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

You can re-up your affiliate deals for one year if both parties choose, but it's mostly a paperwork issue -- as has been said, nearly all the PDCs are two years and there wouldn't be any opportunity to start the affiliation carousel after the odd seasons.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | September 16, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I went to Saturday's clinching game against the Keys. I was stunned at the small crowd. I've been to the Pfitz a few times and, while I've never witnessed a sell-out, they always had a decent crowd. In this case, there were maybe 150 people, with about 20 from Frederick. Maybe some coverage from the local paper would help. I mean, who knows how long it'll be before the big-league Nats are in the play-offs, so us Nats fans got to cling to something!

BTW, Tyler Moore and Derek Norris are for real.

Posted by: rodeorob | September 16, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Have it on good authority that Riggleman is planning a roster swap with the PNats for early May 2011... to bring the entire squad of A-ballers up to the bigs and send the major leaguers back to the bushes -- for one quick game each.

Intent is to remind each set of players about the reasons we play... and the rewards for playing especially well.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 16, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Kinda strange that the MLB website for the Nats doesn't have anything on this at of 6:45. No press release or other news that I could find. Neither does the PNats site. Whassup with that?

Posted by: RLFWDC | September 16, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

rodeorob, I was away during the P-Nats' recent playoff home games but I'm not surprised that attendance was sparse. That was also the case for the playoff and championship series games that we attended in 2008 (sadly).

btw, the P-Nats won last night and thus are now up 2 games to 1 in the 5-game series. I believe that tonight's game time is 7:03 and tickets include the Belly Buster special as during the previous postseason games. They also have a $1 beverage special (no, I don't work for them, I just like to keep up on the local Baby Nats :-)).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 17, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse