Nyjer Morgan back in lineup as Nationals wait for ruling

The Nationals will likely have to wait until at least Wednesday before the league makes its ruling on how many games it will ultimately suspend center fielder Nyjer Morgan, according to a league official. Barring a last-minute decision, Morgan will be in the Nationals lineup tonight against the Braves, his 11th straight game played since his charging of Florida Marlins pitcher Chris Volstad touched off a benches-clearing ruckus.

Morgan met with Major League Baseball officials, including disciplinarian Bob Watson, on Friday to appeal two suspensions totaling 15 games - one for an incident in Philadelphia involving fans and a ball thrown into the stands and one for three other incidents, including his role in the brawl. The Nationals are optimistic the suspension for the incident in Philadelphia will be significantly reduced.

Watson said the appeal process typically takes three or four days to complete following a hearing. He said the decision would come "Monday at the earliest." Since the Nationals play at 12:05 p.m. Wednesday, the league would have to act early in the morning for the suspension to take effect before the end of Washington's current series in Atlanta.

Since the brawl, Morgan is 11 for 37 with three walks, two doubles and a sacrifice bunt. He's attempted to steal twice and been caught both times.

By Adam Kilgore  |  September 14, 2010; 1:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Young Nationals will learn as they play
Next: Today's lineups

Comments

ESPN reported the delay as being related to an issue with Bob Watson.

Apparently, his Ouiji board is in for repairs and won't be returned until Wednesday some time...

Serioulsy, how freaking hard can this be? Even if you exclude the Philly incident, the behaviors that lead up to the brawl seem pretty cut and dried...

Posted by: TimDz | September 14, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The club has an expanded roster, they should just tell Nyjer to go home for the rest of the year now and let him consider how he wants to conduct himself as a Washington National, should they allow him to come back, in the future.

Posted by: dfh21 | September 14, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Look who is pitching for the Jays tonight vs the Os-- Shawn Hill. How bout that.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | September 14, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for pointing that out, skins_fan_22. I didn't realize he was still pitching (he's only 29, too). Good luck to him.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 14, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

dfh21/TimDz: Did i miss something? was Nyjer arrested at the Adams Morgan day festival for shooting that dog,assaulting a young lady,armed robbery.I have never seen so much made of one incident in my life, Nyjer Morgan has not had one incident off the field,and just one on the field where because he knocked over the catcher in trying to score a run to tie the game he was percieved as a "dirty"
player never mind that the catcher outweighed him by thirty pounds,and then the Marlins decided to teach him a lesson by throwing at his teamates in the next game and then proceded to beat the Nats collective brains in by scoring at will.The Marlins then decided to throw at Nyjer and when he decided to defend himself all hell broke loose, i'll tell you what and i've said it before he can play for me anytime because he's got heart and the Nationals should hope some of their other players get some heart and one last thing i wouldn't want either one of you backing me up in an alley fight, i'd be better off fighting by myself!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It's Hill's second start for the Jays. Had a so-so start his first time out. Gave up 3ER over 5.1 innings. His minor league numbers this year were quite good.

Posted by: slopitchtom | September 14, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"Nyjer Morgan has not had one incident off the field,and just one on the field where because he knocked over the catcher in trying to score a run to tie the game he was percieved as a "dirty"
player"

Well, actually he has FOUR incidents on the field that have been cited by MLB as grounds for suspension.

(1) Hitting a fan in PHI with a ball thrown into the stands.
(2) Running into the STL catcher.
(3) Engaging in profane dialogue with fans in FLA.
(4) Charging the mound in FLA and starting a benches clearing brawl.

Note that none of these four offenses include the play at the plate to which you refer. Also note that none of Nyjer's numerous boneheaded plays in the field or on the basepaths are included either. Those aren't suspendable offenses, but they sure ought to be benchable offenses. On a team with a good manager they would be anyway.

Posted by: FeelWood | September 14, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Dargramps: Cool yer jets fella (he says with a smile)...

My comment was more related to the MLB dragging their heels on this one. I have been on record here that the Philly thing was a non-issue from the get go. The incidents that led up to the brawl went from the sublime to the ridiculous to the surreal. I think he will get suspended for some games, but I just want a decision to be made once and for all.

As for your last comment. I have ALWAYS had my friends back. Nyjer isn't my friend nor my teammate, so I am just giving all here my perspective based on what I have read, witnessed etc.

Posted by: TimDz | September 14, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

>>Good luck to him. Posted by: baltova1

Yea but not 2 good.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | September 14, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Just a thought, could Baseball and Bob Watson be testing the waters to see if Nyjer can be a good citizen and if he passes the test, which he seemed to have done, he would get a drastically reduce sentence

Posted by: Golfersal | September 14, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

skins_fan, haven't you been paying attention? The Orioles are now the greatest team evah! They can easily afford to lose one tonight, as long as they have the genius, Showalter, to lead them!

Posted by: baltova1 | September 14, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

If this was my team, dumping Nyjer would be one of my first moves. He doesn't have a clue. If he's not getting picked off or caught stealing, he's throwing to the wrong base or air-mailing a cutoff man. That CS with 2 outs and the pitcher batting would have been the final straw if this was my team.

Posted by: comish4lif | September 14, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I've seen some reporting (some from a Philly fan that was in the same section as where Njer threw the ball into the stands) to indicate that the intent to throw it AT someone was not there. He was just trying to throw it to someone, missed them (insert joke here), and hit someone that wasn't paying attention. If this side of the story is true, I could see the 7-game suspension reduced dramatically or een eliminated. This may be the reason for the delay in deciding.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 14, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I like Nyjer....he's one of the few that seems to play with heart. Boneheaded at times, sure....but you need someone willing to run full speed directly into someone that outweighs him by 30LBS. That's a legal play last time I checked. Intentionally beaning the Nats roster the next day is not legal. If anyone should be suspended for the season, it's the Marlin's mananger and the umpires from that game for allowing it to get out of hand.

Posted by: eyekey416 | September 14, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey dargre, I can forgive the guy for playing poorly, he's trying like Hell, but the big problem with this guy is that at 30 years old he places his seemingly low self-esteem (gotta PROVE he's a tough guy, gotta hang far off of first to show his badassedness - dare you to pick me off! D'oh! -- gotta try to swipe third with 2 outs and Zim coming up, gotta plow over that catcher though he is not blocking his path to the plate and the ball is no place near him, etc.) before simply doing what it takes to help the club win ball games. Nyjer is about Nyjer. And he did MANY stupid things over the last several weeks more than one of which had consequences of people getting hurt or potentially getting hurt -- fans, opposing StL catcher, the brawl could have been ugly -- most of it could have been avoided had he simply been playing baseball to WIN as opposed to playing the game as some kind of personal display of machismo.

Posted by: dfh21 | September 14, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag, you crack me up (no small thing after a trip to the dentist). I recently defended Riggleman by saying he didn't have the players he needed to be successful. I went on to say he was "bear huntin' with a switch." I do believe you could go bear huntin' with a switch and come back with the bear. Passion, my friend, is a good thing, and you have plenty of it. Go Nats!

Posted by: fpcsteve | September 14, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Let me just say that yes i have passion for my hometown and my sports teams, all of them, here in the A-T-L I wear my Nats,Skins,Wiz,Caps,and college teams with pride and dare anybody to say anything bad about them i'm always shutting up the Falcon fans with where are your Super Bowl trophies? that ends that conversation real damn quick.TimDz/dfh21; didn't mean to come off like a badazz, just defending Nyjer, GO NATS!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 14, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, for what little it's worth, I'm really tired of this argument, but at the end of it, I'm with Dargramps. Nyjer has had a crummy year, and played with his head up something it doesn't belong at times, but he's not the problem here, and I'm just generally suspicious of how quick some folks are to paint others with the wholly unwarranted "thug" label.

But can we stop now, please?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse