Poll: Reaction to Kasten's departure

By Alexa Steele  | September 23, 2010; 3:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kasten to resign at end of season
Next: Ryan Zimmerman scratched with strained rib

Comments

Rizzo is the key guy. Not Kasten.

Posted by: justaguy43 | September 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Concessions are a ripoff. 8 dollars for a beer at a team thats the worst in the majors is too much. Prices should fluctuate based on the performance of the team. Ticket prices do, so why not concessions?

Posted by: noahjacobs | September 23, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Rizzo is the key guy. Not Kasten."

What makes you think he'll stick around? Kasten's replacement will probably want his own man, and even if not, why would Rizzo want to put up with this bargain basement approach the Lerners are apparently taking?

Posted by: Fairfax6 | September 23, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to Kasten, who never seemed to fully comprehend the Washington market or the fatalistic mindset of being a D.C. baseball fan. This isn't Atlanta. At the same time, I'm skeptical the Lerners can hire someone with the baseball know-how to deliver a contender to long-suffering fans.

Posted by: VPaterno | September 23, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Dear Stan,

If you did your homework initially, you never would have agreed to this job in the first place!

Posted by: DearStan | September 23, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

As usual, most people want to label Kasten as the key figure so that we're doomed w/o him or the scapegoat for all our problems. Truth is in the middle as it often is. Kasten in w/o doubt one of the premiere baseball executives in the game. Fantastic track record at building great rosters. However, I'll never forget watching the Braves in the playoffs every year and seeing all those empty seats. Used to drive me nuts. I'd think, give DC a team and we'll pack 'em in for a playoff team.

His departure hurts our progress towards being a good team but I voted Opening Day this year as my low point as a Nats fan in Zuckerman's poll earlier and that was Kasten's fault. Marketing opening day tickets to Philly fans when they had not been offered to me. Philly fans!!!! Wow. That's tough to get over.

So, I rate Kasten like a great girlfriend that was gorgeous and we had a blast together but then she cheated on me w/ a guy I've hated my whole life.

Posted by: Avar | September 23, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I haven't been in a minority like this since I voted for Sharon Kelly.

We are saying goodbye to, if it weren't for Dan Snyder, the most disingenuous sports executive to grace our scene in our lifetimes, and it is a blow for DC baseball?

Posted by: paulkp | September 23, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

article was a puff piece and poll results don't reflect the beating this guy's taking on other message boards, funny how the Washington Post will write hard hitting stories about world leaders, but then take the gloves off when writing about a retiring baseball team president

floating stories about wanting to spend, during a period in which all he did was justify not spending makes Kasten look like an even bigger fraud, especially for a guy who got caught in a number of lies during his tenure here

the Lerners are awful owners, worse than even Snyder or Angelos, and this guy's trying to salvage his reputation, but make no mistake, we now know it was Schuerholz and Cox who made Atlanta what it was - they arrived and things turned around quickly, this guy was just an innocent bystander

Posted by: tgt111 | September 24, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

tgt111 wrote:

------

World leaders don't buy advertising in the Washington Post. The Nationals do. A lot. And that is pretty much the end of the story.

Posted by: medic2010 | September 24, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The more I read and think about it, the more I wonder if he did all that much in Atlanta. Cox managed the players that Schuerholz found. What did Kasten do. Well, yeah, he hired them, but empty seats on a perennial contender? Who's job is it to fix that? Maybe Atlanta fans stink, I don't know. (They certainly hate hockey, obviously). If Rizzo stays as GM, who will come to work as pres for the cheapskates? At least Snyder spends money.

Posted by: McLobo | September 26, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse