Today's lineups

Justin Maxwell returns to center field after missing two games with a sore thumb. The Nationals will face J.A. Happ for the first time as an Astro while sending John Lannan to the mound.

Nationals

5. Jason Michaels, LF
6. Chris Johnson, 3B
7. Tommy Manzella, SS
8. Jason Castro, C
9. J.A. Happ, SP

By Adam Kilgore  | September 21, 2010; 2:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nationals are having trouble drawing a crowd
Next: A new development in the Smiley Gonzalez/Carlos Alvarez case

Comments

Does anyone even care anymore?

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | September 21, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually @skins_fan_22. Yes.

You can always go over to RI and watch the losing drama unfold because the very best defensive player on the Redskins and perhaps one of the 3 or 4 best in the game continues to play second string, or is inactive. Thus the defensive collapse. There is a reason why his potential makes him worth the 32 million he collected.

Posted by: periculum | September 21, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Espinosa is going to have a lot to work on and think about in winter ball this year ... I really never listen to anything Riggleman says anymore. He is non-sequitor.

Espinosa looks like the starting shortstop out of ST 2011. Desmond looks like second base or trade bait for a true top of the rotation pitching ace.

Posted by: periculum | September 21, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

About the Nats? Yes. About the team named in your moniker? Not so much. But that's just me.

---

Does anyone even care anymore?

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | September 21, 2010 2:13 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"Justin Maxwell returns to center field after missing two games with a sore thumb."

OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thumb should stay sore. Just what the Nots need, another sub-.200 hitter in the lineup.

Yeeesssshhh!!! Will you look at that lineup? You've got exactly 3 players capable of hitting at a level above mediocre (Zimmerman, Desmond, Dunn), and Dunn is doing his usual August/September hibernation act, hitting about 30 points below his career average and about 65 points below his weight.

I'm not sure Lannan shouldn't be hitting 8th. Maxwell couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | September 21, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If the Natinals lose today what will that be, 5 losses in a row? 6? 18?

If the Natinals lose again today (odds say they will) and the Orioles win again today, the Mighty, Fighting Showalter's from Baltimore will only be one-whopping game behind the Natinals.

Orioles are coming on fast Natinals franchise.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a terms of service agreement that the Post enforces? I'm growing tired of reading the rantings of a ten year old child that belong on a bathroom wall.

Posted by: raymitten | September 21, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

There are site policies, but as they are never enforced, they are worthless (imho).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@raymitten,

He is an adult with children of his own.

Uh Poopy? At this point I'll take the higher draft pick. I hope the Orioles DO overtake and pass the Nats for that purpose. They still need pitching. Taking a Brian Oliver outlook, I'll go for second to the Pirates if its possible.

Posted by: periculum | September 21, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Well too bad I'm not violating any rules. Just discussing the Natinals and baseball, in general.

If my factual-based observations about the Natinals displease you, maybe you should pressure Natinals ownership and it's front office in to putting a better product on the field.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Sure do miss a healthy Willingham.

Posted by: Natsgal | September 21, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

What fan roots for their team to lose, just so they can get a better draft pick, only to pick a very unproven player?

I'd rather have the MLB team finish strong, and thus increase it's potential to land free-agents in the offseason.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

In a freak year like the past 2 when there has been a Strasburg or Harper, then you root for the pick over the record. Otherwise, such as this coming draft when all picks are pretty much even, for the Os, winning and building confidence for next season far outweighs the advantage of a couple of spots in the draft. The Os are finally on the right track moving forward(took long enough didn't it) and the Nats are in severe regression mode.
Just the facts.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | September 21, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll second that, natsgal.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Poopy" isn't discussing baseball, he's here to enflame. From the deliberate misspelling of the team name to his juvenile taunting, he's only here to cause trouble and anger people. I'll keep hitting the 'report abuse' button.

Posted by: raymitten | September 21, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Instead of reporting abuse (which I don't see it as being...just rantings of someone trying to agitate), why couldn't there just be an "ignore user" button?
This way, if one doesn't want to see the comments, they can just block them through the ignore link.

Posted by: TimDz | September 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Poopy/O's Exec is a person of very little quality, just ignore him and scroll past him comments.

Posted by: Section505203 | September 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

or "his" comments for that matter.

Posted by: Section505203 | September 21, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see an "ignore" button here (or on the other beat writer sites, for that matter). For now, we'll just have to use the virtual one (mine sometimes malfunctions, however).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Repost from last thread for skins-fan--I agree with many of your criticisms of the Nats. However, we part ways when you start urging people to switch allegiance and go to O games. The owner of that team kept MLB out of this town for decades, and then extorted further concessions out of a spineless MLB commissioner. I will not set foot in Camden Yards, period. If you are going to convert to an O's fan, then you probably should do that on an O's blog rather than become a troll on this one.

Posted by: NatsFly | September 21, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Not my words....."You're right: A cute cuddly puppy getting caught in a lawnmower's jaws is tragic; the Nationals are merely pathetic... Weren't Chien-Ming Wang and Jesus Flores supposed to be back, like, five weeks ago? The Nats are taking advantage of the fact that nobody is paying attention. How cynical."...CBS Sports.
SO....I got nothin'...just like the Nats. They've beaten the passion out of me for now, and even "wait til next year" doesn't hold the same excitement it's had in the past-although this may very well be the 1st time it's actually true.
The Slows.....well, they've really let me (us?) down. They may well eventually build a long term winner, but it coulda been SO much more enjoyable(as Kev pointed out-and plenty of others. And as always, the Gang here and a few other sites is the only reliable enjoyment this team brings).
I remember the joy of baseball BACK in my hometown. Dingy RFK.
I remember how HAPPY I was when the DEEP pocketed Slows were awarded the franchise...and spoke of doing the town proud. Then of being told to "wait 'til the new yard was built" for the influx of talent and winning. I could go on in this vein....and I WILL go on as a die-hard Nats fan (famous last words? What have we all been doing as of late?).
But there's some serious bile here...over the lack of candor, the feeling that I took you (the Nats) at your WORD...and now I feel like a sucker...Mostly over what COULD have been...and with out much effort. In a town that has endured the 4$kins and Dan Snydley....the Wizards... we were ready to fall into the Nats/Slows arms. All we did was fall-flat on our faces.Remember Charlie Brown going to kick field-goals with Lucy?
Hey! NEXT year!... the kids...the arms...
And I'll be back waiting to kick. Because eventually even a stopped clock has the right time twice a day. And this time I DO see a light at the end of the tunnel, but.....man, it didn't have to be this way. Just a public acknowledgment , a slight nod to their fans, by the Slows would help immeasurably. But I'm not holding my breath....more likely an "I told you so" whenever we reach mediocrity-as if that'll wipe away the stain of the past few years. In almost every facet.
What a colossal waste of opportunities...
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Zendo, sorry they even managed to beat you down. Didn't think it was possible.

So sad when I remember the optimism of RFK, when some of us NJers (I was a newly emerged lurker but the regulars let me join) had a tailgate by the river and Barry stopped by? All that goodwill squandered. Oh well, just wait till next....decade?

Posted by: NatsFly | September 21, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I like Poopy McPoop. His postings may be juvenile, but they entertain me.

Anyway, he's right. The Nationals are terrible. They deserve the ridicule they receive, be it erudite criticism of organizational deficiencies, angry screeds about the lack of talent, or childish jeering from scatalogically-named posters.

It's also true that I'm more tolerant of Poopy because he also received his BA in English from the University of Maryland. It does make me sad for our alma mater when I see him use phrases like "factual-based," though.

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 21, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsFly | September 21, 2010 5:00 PM
=------------

Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting. Peter Angelos didn't keep DC from getting a team for "decades." Angelos hasn't even owned the O's for 2 decades. Angelos wasn't responsible for MLB giving teams to Denver, Seattle, or Miami over DC. Angelos wasn't responsible for the Senators leaving for Minnesota and/or Texas.

Wow, talk about crying over spilled milk. If you can't see why MLB wasn't a bit apprehensive about giving Washington it's THRID team in 1/2 a century, than you know very little about MLB.

And as evidenced by the previous blog entry by Kilgore (and even mentioned by Steinberg today in a Bog posting) Natinals attendance is WAY WAY down for a team that's only been here for like 5 years.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry John but I only use all of my UMD English skills when I'm on the clock. :)

Other than that it's informal language/grammar for me. Now, when the Post starts paying me for my extremely well thought out positions than I may amend my ways.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Thanks, NatsFly. Yea...my inherent optimism is why I never call the Slows "cheap"...why I try not to call for any ones' head (even McP!)......try to look for the "positives".
And no doubt my passion isn't gone...just dormant. And however pleasurable it may be to rant about the sad sack franchise I call my own-it's like crack (i suppose!) A quick thrill but no lasting satisfaction. And likewise the promise of a brighter day-however much truth it may hold. In the back of your mind, you can't thinking "I've heard this before...".
Sigh...Oh well...Tee it up Lucy! (Or is it "bend over, Charlie Brown"?)
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Also...well, when I was a kid growing up in DC (the '60's), I was an O's fan.Flew up from New Orleans to see 'em back in the late '70's and 80's e few times.I AM jealous we don't have Buck, and happy for the O's.Still dislike Angelos, but after the Nats (and Cards)...well, the better they do, the more pressure it puts on us! As long as we win the season series. Still, Mr McP (btw,I got no problems with your observations, as long as they're honorable...but PLease git a new handle!)...as I recall Peter had a handshake with Jack Kent Cooke to not oppose a DC club...quid pro quo for the 4$kins not opposing Bal'mer getting a new NFL franchise (NFL has a territoriality rule; MLB didn't...may now...SF vs the A's?. I was also a Colts fan....). Soon as the Squire croaked...well, I suppose if I was Peter I'd try to protect my asset as well. Hopefully he's learned that WINNING solves things like attendance woes (listening, Slows?). Least that's if memory serves me correctly...
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | September 21, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

...I'm more tolerant of Poopy because he also received his BA in English from the University of Maryland. It does make me sad for our alma mater when I see him use phrases like "factual-based," though.

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 21, 2010

Poopy has a BA in English? Really?

Wow. I learned the difference between "it's" and "its" in, oh, I don't know, maybe about fifth or sixth grade. I guess any idiot can get a degree these days, as long as he can get a government-guaranteed loan to pay for it (and default on later...).

C'mon, Poopy - 'fess up. Did you get your alleged BA in English at:
1) Kim Il Sung University in Pyongyang, North Korea;
2) Wal-Mart;
3) Your HP OfficeJet 4110?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 21, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

You know your team is beyond pathetic when you have to personally attack posters instead of discussing your hometown team.

Of course if I was a Natinals fan I'd want to talk about anything other than the Natinals.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

And if you're really going to play grammar police on internet blogs, well it just may be about time to go outside and get some fresh air.

Go for a hike or something, just get out of that dank room of yours and breath in some fresh, according to the periodic table of elements, some 'O'

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Mr. McP, JiM.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

@zendo: When the team falls into an extended stretch like the Nationals have had since June it's hard to produce anything more positive than gallows humor, imo. The team seems to be finding new ways to lose every night, but have favored the 1-inning meltdowns of late.
It's just getting harder & harder to swallow for the fan base.

Posted by: BinM | September 21, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, folks, you don't think that's funny?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 21, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Nope. I'm not a fan of Beavis and Butt-head either, if that helps. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 21, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse