Tyler Moore named Carolina League MVP

Class A Potomac first baseman Tyler Moore, who less than two months ago was hitting less than .200, was named the Carolina League MVP following a remarkable seven-week power-hitting surge. Moore leads the Carolina League with 113 RBI and 29 home runs, 19 of which have been since July 15.

Moore also leads the league in doubles (43) and extra base hits (75) and trails only Royals prospect Eric Hosmer with a .541 slugging percentage. In a six-week span starting July 15, Moore won the Carolina League player of the week four times and posted a mind-boggling 1.400 OPS.

By Adam Kilgore  |  September 2, 2010; 3:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLB reviewing Marlins-Nationals brawl
Next: Nyjer Morgan suspended eight games for role in Nats-Marlins brawl

Comments

Posted by: rnkorby | September 2, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

From mlbtraderumors.com:

•Nationals president Stan Kasten told Stark that Washington will be "more aggressive than we've ever been" this offseason. Presumably that means they’ll try to re-sign Adam Dunn and offer Carl Crawford a contract.

I guess we can believe it when we see it. I for one have a hard time seeing Crawford coming here unless the Nats offer him something ridiculous. Even then, I still see him going to the Yankees.

Posted by: TimDz | September 2, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

----------------

I'm one of the more patient types here and even I have to admit, that's a pretty low bar to clear, isn't it?

Posted by: baltova1 | September 2, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW, here's an even more interesting tidbit from the Jayson Stark column that produced the Kasten quote:

The contract doesn't technically begin until next year.

Also on this front, the Nationals have told Harper that his days of applying voluminous war-paint eye black are over. And so are his lay-the-bat-down, play-with-the-dirt, pre-at-bat histrionics -- because if that kept up, said one Nationals honcho, "he was either going to get himself killed, or get his teammates killed, or both."

Posted by: baltova1 | September 2, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

How about being more aggressive before the end of the season and SIGN DUNN!?! Did my heart good to see the big guy dragging stinkin fish off his teammates last night, then flipping them a couple of feet away from the pile. Now THATS a guy we want in our scrum!

Posted by: NatsFly | September 2, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

>He's 23 in High A. Not a particularly young guy, not old either. What are the scouts saying? Is this guy a flash in the pan, or a legitimate prospect?

Posted by: rnkorby

Single A pitchers generally have trouble getting their breaking balls over for strikes, so he probably was able to wait on fastballs. Although, that is an awful lot of damage for such a short period of time. Maybe he finally got focused. The best part is that he was hitting mistakes out of the park instead of just for doubles and singles.

Posted by: Brue | September 2, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Tyler Moore, who has risen from a sub-Mendoza hitter in mid-2010 to a 'breakout' year, and League MVP in 2+ months. Offensively he might be capable of pushing Marrero for the top 1B currently in the Nationals system.

But before anyone gets too amped up, he turns 24 prior to the start of the 2011 season, has never hit for power professionally prior to this year, and has a somewhat questionable glove at 1B.

Overall, we should be happy for him, but reserve judgement for another year or two; He's not ready yet.

Posted by: BinM | September 2, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to jump back to our favorite topic today, but I don't understand how Nyjer can be accused of BOTH showing up the Fish and playing stupid. It seems these are inconsistent.

Showing up another team is taking something easy off of them when you don't need to/shouldn't do it. Like dunking on Angola in the Olympics up 50. If stealing down 10 runs (when 1 base is less meanginful than 1 out) is stupid baseball, then how can you be showing up the other team?

Posted by: cdstej | September 2, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the honor goes his way, but I share the skepticism about a 23-year old in A ball.

I also wonder why Marrero didn't move up to AAA at some point this year. His numbers at Harrisburg were good enough to make that an option and he's already spent parts of two seasons in AA. There's certainly nobody in AAA standing in his way.

If they did it with Espinosa but not Marrero, I think that's telling.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 2, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@baltova:
Good stuff (via Stark & ESPN) on the Harper contract; Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: BinM | September 2, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@baltova:

I think the telling point is that Marrero still is uncomfortable at 1B defensively. He's still only 22, and has been bounced from 3B, to LF, to 1B, with a year off in-between due to injury. That, in addition to the Duncan/Whitesell/Botts combo at 1B in SYR has kept him down as well; This was a good thing IMO, as it allowed him a stable year in a winning atmosphere.

I personally think Marrero is best suited as a DH/1B - He might hit somewhere around .250/.315+/.395+, with 12-15HR, and 45-70RBI, but I just don't see him as a full-time 1B in the NL.

Posted by: BinM | September 2, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Same ole same ole from StanK he of the "he said he wasn't feeling well and asked for a few days off"(Dibble firing) as long as that lying P.O.S. is running thing's we're always going to bring up the rear!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 2, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag I thought the same thing, but legally it might have been best for Stan K to keep his yap shut. If you are going to fire Dibble then I am sure they want to do it as cheaply as possible.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | September 2, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"Amid all the grumbling last month after Bryce Harper signed a five-year major league contract at age 17, there was a wrinkle to that deal almost no one seemed to notice:

The contract doesn't technically begin until next year.

Once details of that contract circulated, it turned out Harper's deal runs from 2011 to 2015. So even if Harper gets hurt or his progress stalls for other reasons, the Nationals won't have to worry about their latest phenom running out of options until he's 22. That's another reason the Nationals were in no rush to see his name show up in any Gulf Coast League box scores this summer."

The problem with this report is that if it's true, then why did they have to place Harper on the 40-man roster NOW? Presumably they wouldn't need to if he's not under contract, wouldn't you think?

Posted by: nunof1 | September 2, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@cdstej: "I don't understand how Nyjer can be accused of BOTH showing up the Fish and playing stupid. It seems these are inconsistent."

--------------

It is not inconsistent if you consider that most of the instances in which Nyjer has played stupid have nothing to do with the Fish at all: airmailing balls from the outfield, bad baserunning, missing the plate in the Cardinals game, (allegedly) firing a ball into the stands, etc.

Oddly enough, his behavior in last night's game was totally defensible. He knew he was going to get drilled, he took it like a man, and instead of charging the pitcher got his revenge the way you're SUPPOSED to: by playing the game hard and stealing a couple of bases. As someone else here said earlier today, if the Marlins didn't like it, they should have thrown him out. But they couldn't. So they hit a few other guys and then threw behind Nyjer. At that point, as he said, "you gotta go."

Posted by: Meridian1 | September 2, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Meridian1: "So I find nothing inconsistent in totally defending what he did last night and at the same time saying what I've been saying since before all this happened: he plays dumb, he isn't very good, and he is not the long-term answer in center field."

Bears repeating. And it's a shame, because he was such a delight to watch last season.

Posted by: gilbertbp | September 2, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I actually totally agree, Meridian and gilbert. I am referring to those who are attacking Nyjer for yesterday's brawl and the steals by saying that he both played stupid and instigated the 2nd beaning/brawl by showing up the Marlins. I have no debate with the notion that he has played stupid at other times throughout the year.

But as I said in the prior post, I don't think that we should take his year-long "baggage" as justification for abandoning him when the Marlins put him in an impossible situation yesterday. He took his medicine, as you said, but that wasn't enough for them. But after hitting Wil and Alberto and Nyjer, enough was enough. If he HADN'T defended himself, I think it would have been one more example of this team being TOO lackadaisical about losing/getting pushed around.

And for those who think the team didn't have his back, b/c it allegedly took too long for the dugout to arrive, watch the video again. Look at Livan, and Jim and even Dunn. It took them longer to arrive b/c they were all in the dugout; the Marlins got there faster b/c there were 6 of them on the infield already!

Posted by: cdstej | September 2, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I saw Marrero about half a dozen games this year, and against several AA pitchers, he looked outclassed. In contrast, Austin Jackson in '09 and Brandon Laird this year, who admittedly I saw more often, got pitched very tough and still prospered at AA. Not a perfect analogy, but some guys clearly master AA pitching.

I'd say the jury is still out about Marrero, in the field and at bat.

Posted by: nats24 | September 2, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

dargreg - we don't always see things the same way, but my goodness, on this one I am totally backing you!
***************

Posted by: dargregmag

Posted by: Sunderland | September 2, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

We could easily have a middle infield with speed, pop, strong arms, great range and great baseball instincts.

Next up, Wilson Ramos.

Posted by: Sunderland | September 2, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

There was a good background story on Moore a couple of weeks ago

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 2, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Matt Nokes was great at getting his hips around and elevating the ball out of the park. Great power stroke in his day. Almost like Reggie Jackson when he was on. Tape measure shots at Tiger Stadium. Guys like that have confidence that rubs off because they have results to back them up. You know - 'all you have to do is hit it 345 feet to hit it out' type thing where actually hitting the ball is secondary to what you try to do with it after you hit it.

Posted by: Brue | September 2, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Look-

If we're talking Nyjer, let's get this straight. He needs to go. DFA him now.

I will be the first to say he lit this team up last year and got us all excited. Myself included. However, this year is a different story and much more in line with historical numbers.

He has not played well in CF. He has a very low OBP - especially for a lead off guy. How many times has he got picked off at first base or slid through the bag and got tagged out at 2nd? Not to mention the caught stealings.

All of that was before he cheap shotted the Cardinals catcher. Thank God it wasn't Yadier Molinda - it would have been a madhouse. All of that stuff was before he took out the Marlins catcher. I know that is a bang-bang play, but from home I was screaming "SLIDE!" The fact is that he didn't try to go for the ball and knock it loose. He went for the catcher to knock him loose.

I have no problem with him stealing bases. We can score runs and if they'll give him bases, he should take them. I have no issue with him charging the mound. The first plunking was retribution enough.

I DO have issue with the way he came off the field. I have issue with the Cardinals play in general. I have issue with whatever happened in Philly. I have issue with the fact that he doesn't play like a smart ball player.

Talent wins games. But if you don't have talent, you better play smart. Right now, he has neither...and Bernadina is playing great and hitting well and playing smart.

That is why he's gotta go.

Plus, I don't want people going after our other players because of the stupid things he does.

Love the heart. If it only had a brain.

Posted by: NatsWin | September 2, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

"And I don't know about you guys, but after watching Espinosa play an inning, and seeing him and Desmond try and turn a tough double play, I got downright excited."

That was Gonzales (playing 3rd) who almost turned the DP with Espinosa, not Desmond.

Posted by: nunof1 | September 2, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Aw c'mon nun, don't let facts get in the way of my excitement.

Posted by: Sunderland | September 2, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Moore's progression is pretty much what you'd want. No, he is not likely to see the majors before Sept. 2012, when he will be 25, but that is pretty much SOP for a journeyman ballplayer.

I assume that he will go to Harrisburg next year, with Marrero at SYR. That will provide the indication if Marrero has a future. OTOH, if Moore explodes all over Harrisburg next year, that changes the dynamics. That is why you play the games.

BTW, on the other subject, I change my mind about Nyjer about once an hour.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | September 2, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Oduber won GCL's MVP, too.

Posted by: RLFWDC | September 3, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Would think suspension being handed down today. I expect Morgan, Riggs, Slaten and Listach

Posted by: SCNatsFan | September 3, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@ NatsWin: You summed up my take on Nyjer very well. Especially liked:

"Love the heart. If it only had a brain."

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth!

Posted by: NatsFly | September 3, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

It'll probably be a moot point, given the likely suspension, but I sure hope the home crowd doesn't boo Nyjer on Monday* (or next time he plays at home). Whatever we think of his actions -- and I continue to think the Marlins are more to blame for Wednesday's brouhaha -- you don't boo your own players at home. Here's hoping.

* - In addition to the suspension mooting the fear, anyone want to guess what attendance is going to look like in September? If no one is there, there won't be any booing either, I guess...

Posted by: cdstej | September 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I didn't say YOU were illiterate, I said the mistakes were.
Anyhow, get used to it, cuz it ain't goin nowhere.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa
__________________________________________

I didn't think you were calling me illiterate, Sec3. My point was that mistakes in blogs are not a big deal and are more reflective of greatly reduced staffing, increased deadline pressures and a laudable effort to post lots of information for the insatiable NJers, than any illiteracy of the sports writers. But hey, if pointing out errors makes your day, have at it.

Now, back to baseball.

Posted by: NatsFly | September 3, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Can somebody from the WaPo wake up either Gene Wang or Adam Kilgore & get a new string up? I know yesterday was an off day, but it's getting a little stale in here.

A PIT series preview, or something on the minor league playoff chances, even something on Dunn vs. possible replacements. Please?

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"In addition to the suspension mooting the fear, anyone want to guess what attendance is going to look like in September?"

I predict it will be better than Baltimore's, where despite the resurgence of their own team and even with the uninvited guests from Red Sox Nation they still only managed to draw 18K, 16K and 26K on three beautiful nights for baseball this week. Someone tell Peter Angelos that there are no real baseball fans in Baltimore either.

Posted by: FeelWood | September 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

My thought too, BinM.

Speaking of Dunn, here's my theory: Nats have decided to let him go. Rigs (Rizzo's mouthpiece) started putting forth the zany idea that LF was Bernadina's best position around the time Nats decided they weren't going to re-sign Dunn. Willingham will be switched to 1B next year, Bernie will take over LF, the beloved Nyjer will stay in CF, and StanK's bold moves in the offseason or whatever he was saying will be focused on getting an established RFer. They see Morse as a backup OF-PH type. Please feel free to shoot holes in this (I certainly hope I'm wrong), but I don't see any tangible sign yet they've gotten over their infatuation with Nyjer. (A tangible sign, e.g., would be saying something like "let's see what Rog can do in CF, we're keeping our options open for next year.")

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | September 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Cap, the strange part of the comments about LF being Bernadina's best position is that he then said he hasn't played there on a regular basis since the low minors.

Can't really argue with the rest of the theory 'cause I don't know why they wouldn't sign Dunn in the first place and I can't see a great option that exists out there that will provide a replacement. Your idea is as good as any.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

CapP:
There's probably more truth in your theory than many of us would like to admit, at least in terms of letting Dunn walk & focusing on a RF. The sad thing is, his LH bat is going to be very hard to replace, and a free agent OF will probably cost more per year than Dunn would have.

Thay have another month to prove otherwise, but I just think the Lerners are being penny-wise, but pound foolish on this one.

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

BinM, maybe I'm just hoping too much, but I cannot believe they let Dunn walk without a solid plan to replace him. It's one thing to be cheap, it's another to leave a huge hole in your lineup just to save money.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | September 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

SC, I'm hoping, too, but what's the plan?

Posted by: baltova1 | September 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Interesting (and a little scary) "where is he now" article on Mark Prior over at Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-priorcomeback090110. No coincidence we get it on Strasburg's surgery day--maybe a bit in bad taste. But a good cautionary tale for taking the recovery slow and smart.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | September 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

baltova: Maybe there is no real plan to replace him, at least not with a player at Dunn's level. Signing re-treads and filling out the roster with AAA ball players, along with a couple of real MLB caliber players to "prove" you can play with the big boys, has resulted in a perennial last place team and lots of money for the owners. Last place Nats = third most profitable team in MLB. Why change a winning equation, if all you care about is money?

Jeez I must be in a bad mood today...

Posted by: NatsFly | September 3, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't know baltova1, I've seen Lee and Pena at different times mentioned. Pena coming off an 'off' season is going to come in (probably) somewhere around Dunn so I don't know why you wouldn't just keep the big donkey. If you are convinced that defense is a way to win championships (and you know Stan K is) they I can see the trepidation to spend money one a first baseman who will win the lead glove before the gold glove. I am convinced if Dunn leaves it will not be about the money (and I know I am in the minority about that).

Posted by: SCNatsFan | September 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

SC, I'm hoping, too, but what's the plan?

Washington Nationals team president Stan Kasten told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the club plans to be more aggressive than they've ever been this offseason:

"This winter, the Nationals still plan to be "more aggressive than we've ever been" to upgrade their club, team president Stan Kasten told Rumblings. And they'd still like to bring back Adam Dunn. But if Dunn leaves as a free agent and "we don't have that, we have to replace it," Kasten said.

So in the big picture, Strasburg's injury "has not changed any of our strategies going forward," Kasten said."

Posted by: FeelWood | September 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Jeez I must be in a bad mood today...
Posted by: NatsFly | September 3, 2010 12:20 PM
---------------------
there seems to be a lot of that going around.
My apologies--you didn't deserve that flip answer.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Suspensions are out on CBSSports: http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/24308365

For the Nats: Nyjer gets 8, Rigs 2, Listach 3, Slaten 3
For the Fish: Volstad 6, Rodriguez 1

... I'm with the group that says DFA him now - this is a total waste of time and energy and makes our guys seem less than what they are right now as a team.

The only good thing out of this is that my brother and I now agree that anytime we see someone get taken down and pinned, we're going to call that "getting Listached".

Posted by: natslifer | September 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse