Today's lineup

The Nationals will begin their final series of the season without Roger Bernadina in the lineup for the second straight game despite an off day in between. We'll find out soon if there's anything physically amiss for him.

Nationals

5. Lucas Duda, LF
6. Mike Hessman, 3B
7. Josh Thole, C
8. Ruben Tejada, 2B
9. Pat Misch, SP

By Adam Kilgore  | October 1, 2010; 3:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nationals could pursue Yu Darvish
Next: Nationals outfield likely to return intact

Comments

Mets' Misch is a lefty; that's why Bernie is sitting.

Posted by: swanni | October 1, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I see we're playing two 2nd Basemen tonight...

Posted by: TimDz | October 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I wish Riggs was as creative with the lineup as Adam tends to be.

Posted by: swanni | October 1, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If Bernie is sitting against a lefthander, then why not Morgan... does anyone notice that Morgan's lifetime average against lefties is .203... and he shoots up to a career mark of .309 against righties... hello, platoon player! Not that the Nats have anyone to platoon with him... but, if they want to keep Morgan around, then they should go out and get someone who can!

Posted by: Ghost7 | October 1, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the self-indulgent Morgan is always indulged by Mr Riggleman.

Posted by: swanni | October 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Just once, I would like to see Riggs have the guts to do one of his patened double-switches to Morgan. But I think he's afraid that Nyjer would go berserk on his way back to the dugout.

Posted by: swanni | October 1, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

---

I see we're playing two 2nd Basemen tonight...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 1, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Josh Willingham should be given the opportunity to be the left field starter. Roger B has shown speed and may be best in CF but he has not shown to be better than Josh. Morse has shown to be better than Roger B. Bring Harper up to play RF or to compete with Morse for 1B. I would prefer to have a consistent .300+ hitter at 1B than 200 strike outs.

If you play a catcher who leads the league in DPs, have him hitting 9th. It is simply a matter of what have you done for me lately and not if you are going to become a hall of famer. Hopefully, Flores will return to his former self and then he and Ramos can share catcher duties. Pudge and Nieves should bring something of worth in a trade.

Harris and Morgan must go as part of some good trades. Riggo and Riggs need to concentrate on what players produce and not what players you like.

I still would like to know how many games are lost when the starting pitcher throws a ball on the first pitch. I, also, would like to know why a pitcher should not be replaced when he walks the first batter. I would, also, like to know why a manager allows a pitcher to remain in the game beyond the point when it is obvious the pitcher does not have it.

Posted by: crimsonmac | October 1, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else love the irony when posters throw out there all of the Nats they hate and suggest that they be traded for better parts? As if other teams are just waiting on the edge of their seats to give us something for leftovers not good enough for a last place team. Come on folks, if it were as simple as trade Willie Harris for a top line starter, we'd all be GMs instead of shooting the breeze in here.

Posted by: cdstej | October 1, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I have noticed the persistent notion that we can trade people we don't want because they can't play for people who can play. If we know they can't play, so do the other teams. And 3 or 4 guys who can't play aren't worth one guy who can play. I think it was Kornheiser who said that sports talk radio is mostly proposing trades that will never get made in the real world.

Posted by: markfromark | October 1, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Friends-

I have been lurking, but paying attention throughout the season. It seems I need this forum so much more during the off-season. When your team doesn't win, the off-season seems as important as the season itself.

I admit that I was pretty happy with the moves the Nats made last winter, and while they were a last-place team again, they did likely improve by at least 10 games. They also signed Bryce Harper, which was a constant topic of conversation. The signing of Matt Capps took a week or two, and was worth it. The signing of Marquis took some time, but will very possibly be worth it last year, like the Cristian Guzman signing seemed worth it only after the second year.

Keep interest through the winter. If the Nats are aggressive, then our investment in the team will be worth it. Even if they fight and spend, and it doesn't work out as we planned, at least we are more in line with the Cubs and Red Sox than the Priates and Royals, right? You can spend many years keeping up your devotion if the front office is obviously trying, but is snakebit. If they are just soaking the town and the luxury-tax-paying teams, then you have no reason to stay loyal.

Here from before the start of the team on the field,

Positively Half St. (+1/2St.)

Previously-

Skedeebs
4 months to go, etc.
Kevin

Posted by: kevincostello | October 1, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

O's on top of the Tigers 9-1.

Ain't the beer cold.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

This site is for NATS comments only. WTHC about the zeros.

If you only want to talk about the zeros go to their sites. Your presence is not wanted here.

GO TO BALLIMER!!! AND STAY THERE!!!!

Posted by: natsguy | October 1, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Seems like natsguy is going the way of Michael Douglas in "Falling Down."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I am the demon cleaner
Madman so I am the freedom cleaner
Standing naked here to say
Satan is the way
Satan is the way

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I continue to be more curious than angry---who here should care about Baltimore baseball, whether the Baltimore team is good or bad? Why would a Baltimore fan be obsessed with being negative (and childishly rude) about a Washington team on a Washington blog? I don't see fans of teams from other cities doing this sort of thing on this blog, and to me the Baltimore team is no different than, well, the Seattle team. Are these (supposedly adult) people so upset because they no longer automatically have fans in the whole Washington-Baltimore two-city area by default?

Posted by: skidge | October 1, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I got a case of Orioles-fever.

And the only cure is more cowbell.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

ugh I cant STAND debbie taylor

Posted by: Nats1924 | October 1, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Skedge, in this case, that is the scuttlebutt on the skidmark, precisely. Makes no sense to me either, unless you start mocking KC and, well, Seattle, too, I guess. But all that begs the question. Mocking fans of (other) bad teams is a closed book to me.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse