Your best and worst moments of the 2010 Nationals season

After a 20-15 start, Stephen Strasburg's half-magical, half-tragic fist first season and a whole lotta anti-climax, the 2010 Nationals season is over. All we are left with are what defines a baseball season most: the moments.

Throughout the day, I'll be posting some polls and outlining the offseason plan for Nationals Journal, for which I will also be soliciting your advice/help. We'll start with deciding what you'll remember most, both good and bad, from 2010.

From the list below, choose and order your 10 favorite moments from this year. From the list below that, choose and order your 10 least favorite moments from this year. Both lists are in chronological order. There are two events on both lists. The question that should guide your answer: What will you think about when you think about the 2010 Nationals?

First, what were the best moments of 2010?

And what were the worst moments of 2010?

By Adam Kilgore  | October 4, 2010; 8:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 162 discussion thread: Nationals at Mets
Next: Year in review: Nationals MVP

Comments

Worst moment of the year:
Definitely the lack of a 3rd strike call on Berkman and the subsequent Houston win back in May. The Nats never recovered after that.

Posted by: hersheyman | October 4, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Agree with herseyman on that game being the worst moment. I blame Riggs for Guz being in RF with Berkman up. A great comeback wasted.

Posted by: nats24 | October 4, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Best moment: Kilgore makes it through an entire NJ post without brain-f*rting out a single word.

Oh wait, that never happened.

Posted by: FeelWood | October 4, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Hold on - school just got out yesterday and we're faced with a 40-question assignment first thing in the morning? Ugh. Sorry, but I just can't deal with that much work right now. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

In Wales trying to do this and it's way to hard, the pages don't render too bad that we just couldn't number it, would of been easier and less timeconsuming

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

You know it's a bad season when several of the 'Worst' moments appear on the 'Best' moments list. Maybe the first list should be renamed the "Least Bad" moments...

Posted by: frenchyb | October 4, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The worst: Chico going to Japan leaving us stuck with Adam "Typo" Kilgore.

The best: There was no best all good stories led to heart ache.

Strasmas turned into a BLOW OUT performance lasting all next year.

The pitching Calvary never came leaving Riggs to be the 2010 version of General Custer.

Bryce Harper signed, and now is realizing baseball is for big boys.

Dukes left Morgan took his place.

Dunn has been shown the door like an unruly patron at a strip club.

Marques and Kennedy, Wang were just as bad as advertised. The problem is Rizzo skipped the Sunday ad's section to read the funnies.

And on, and on, and on!!!!!

Posted by: hansenjo | October 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

This is easy. Best moment was the Strasburg debut. Worst moment was Opening Day. Thanks a lot, Stan. You won't be missed. And I hope I didn't offend the typo cops anywhere in this post.

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | October 4, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey natsfan1a1, Drew Storen is in class at Stanford this morning after pitching two innings of scoreless relief on the other side of the country yesterday afternoon. Suck it up.

Posted by: FeelWood | October 4, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Why is there no line item for "Nats fail to either trade Adam Dunn or sign him to contract extension." I'd put it into my top 10; probably top 5 "worst" moments.

Posted by: wahoo2x | October 4, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I have nothing bad to say about Chico at this point, but I am very very appreciative of the work that Sdam has put in this year. Blog typos are not of consequence in my view (to be avoided when possible)especially when the content has been significant, frequent, consistent, and interesting. I much appreciate the effort. (Now, if he just had less vowels in his name, then we would really have something here). Thanks Adam for great effort and results all year!

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 4, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

er .... Adam

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

unintentional irony is the best ...:~

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 4, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

This is the Post's equivalent of those Nots commercials asking "WERE YOU THERE?" and those games they show that are labeled as "Nats Classics."

It actually took time for someone to compile these lists, that's really a depressing thought.

This franchise certainly seems to be snakebit. It's made the postseason only once in its entire existence, and that was in 1981, thanks to a season split in two by a players strike. In terms of overall record, their winning percentage put them in second place, behind the Cardinals, who didn't make the postseason that year.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | October 4, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Zimm's game winning blast at home to beat the Philthies in front of at least 25,000 Philthy fans beats even the Stras debut for me - but I have a special hate for Philthy.

Strasburg's 7 straight K's to end his debut was probably one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in person at a sporting event. That was fun, then like all things Nats related, it all came crashing to a halt :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | October 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

BTW Adam, you really might want to fix that reference to Stephen Strasburg's "fist season," for reasons I hope I don't have to explain.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | October 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The voting is not working for me with either Safari or Firefox. Also, it doesn't appear to be chronological--in my Safari browser, "Phillies fans invade Nationals Park opening day" is listed at #5, while in Firefox it is listed at #18.

I would vote for the Phillies Phans Phiasco as #1 if I could vote. Another item that should be on the list is "Nats release Elijah Dukes in Spring Training after naming him starting RFer." If it were, I would vote that #2. The Houston loss with Guzman in RF would probably be #3. They show how screwed up this organization remains under Rizzo.

Also, I like natbiscuits referring to Adam as Sdam. It reminds me of the Jasno days on Skins Insider.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | October 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

For me, Nyjer Morgan's brawl was one of the best moments of the season. I like that stuff, and I think it was his attempt to stick up for himself and the team.

Posted by: evanszy | October 4, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Kev29. The game where Zimm crushed the Phillies with the walk off was incredible, as was the night before when the Nats took a lead and kept it. (That was also the game where Miss Iowa threw out the first pitch -- the best week of the season for me)

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | October 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I would have put Kasten steps down in my Top 5 if it was in the best moment category.

Posted by: amorris525 | October 4, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Best moment is # 9. No moment you mention is as bad as the many moments I've witnessed at Nationals Park when there is a controversial call or some form of Nats' negativity that MLB prohibits from being replayed to the paying customers.

Posted by: charlie814 | October 4, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Just wait until next year, we'll get'em!

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Best: May 13, beating the Rox decisively, season high-water mark.
Signing Pudge and Livan would be on my list somewhere, but that wasn't in-season.

Worst: Getting rudely 86'd in the top of the 2nd for stepping on their precious grass seriously pissed me off.
Opening day would probably have topped that, had I been there.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 4, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Best moment: September 26, when my paycheck included a year-end bonus. Didn't have anything to do with the Nats, but it was by far my favorite moment during this past season.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 4, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Worst moment: Standing at the Italian sausage stand just moments before the first pitch, waiting for my order, peering out onto the mound and saying, "Huh? That isn't Strasburg..."

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 4, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Worst moment? Every time Pudge Rodriquez hits into another double play, or Detwiler puts another cream puff into the strike zone for a home run.

Posted by: northvajim2 | October 4, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I think that, except for the events surrounding Strasburg's injury, the worst moment of the year was when Berkman's strike three to end the game was so pointedly NOT called by either the home plate or the third-base umpire. When the next pitch went for a walk-off single, plating two runs, our entire season went all downhill from there.

If the Nats' players are anything like me, their stomachs fell out onto the floor right then and the bats all got a little bit heavier.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | October 4, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Tyler Clippard's pitching was the worst moment. His W's were a result of not holding a lead or tie and then being bailed out. He blew saves like it was in his contract --- the new Joel Hanrahan. Next worst was losing Dibs in the booth, he and Carpenter were the best!

Posted by: FlaNatsFan | October 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Seems reasonable to me. Best results were Strasburg and two Zimm moments. Worst moment was losing Strasburg, and then the opening day debacle that ownership insists we just accept, cause that's all there is to it. Then Dunn leaves, and we're left with Zimm for three years and then what? So, I guess the worst "moment" is three years of these owners.

Posted by: markfromark | October 4, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Eh, after a couple of attempts, I'm not going to try to vote each item up (or down).

My fave moments tend to be at games I attended. Among them are Livo's complete game shutout (1) and the Willingham walk-off (2). In the "as seen on TV" category, I liked the Harris inside-the-parker (1) and the Batista "All About Eve" stand-in moment (2).

For worst moments, I'll go with the SS injury, because imho events that lead to the loss of a game pale in comparison to a serious injury. I wasn't at the fan invasion game, but I've been at other such games over the years. They just didn't happen to be on opening day. The Dibble canning was an overreaction, imo, and I doubt it would have happened had any other player been the topic of discussion.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Best Moment - Definitely Phillies Clinching the Division!!! Oh... Best moment for the Nats - Capps winning the All-star game clinching home field advantage for the Phillies in the World Series.

Worst Moment - The 2010 Nats Season.

Posted by: Dog-1 | October 4, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Worst Moment - The 2010 Nats Season.

Posted by: Dog-1 | October 4, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Best by far: Strasburg debut.

Worst by far: Opening Day Phillies fan invasion. (Not because they came down from Philly, but because the Nats organization set it up so they would get all the tickets and individual fans would not. Shameful!)

Second-worst is tough, but would probably be getting swept by the Orioles. That should never have happened.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

And there, as if to partially prove my point, comes another reason I don't comment on this blog as much as others, nor as much as I used to.

There are too many trolls who come on here to tell us all that the Nats suck. In the middle of a discourse about our team, we have to train our eyes to skip over stupidities like the one DOUBLE-posted by Dog-1.

I'll see you all over at that other (independent) site, where there does seem to be a little bit of decorum and maybe even moderation of comments.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

But you have to admit his remarks were really clever, well worth repeating. He's clearly the Steven Colbert of Philadelphia. And he didn't puke on anyone during his visit here.

Posted by: markfromark | October 4, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking more like Claudette Colbert.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Worst moment: It's gotta be the sweep in Baltimore. That was a pivotal series. The Nats went straight to HE#L after that.

Posted by: richs91 | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse