Posted at 3:49 PM ET, 12/15/2010

Cliff Lee talked to Jayson Werth about playing together

By Adam Kilgore

Up in Philadelphia this afternoon, just about the time Jayson Werth had retreated into the Nationals clubhouse and away from the media, the Phillies re-introduced Cliff Lee in a press conference similar to the one Werth had just finished in Washington.

While addressing his offseason activity, Lee revealed that he and Werth, who became close friends during their time together, discussed signing with the same team this offseason. After Lee decided to head back to Werth's old team, he let Werth know personally.

"When he found out I was coming here," Lee said, "he wasn't the happiest person in the world."

The disappointment from Werth could stem from the fact that the Phillies, in effect, had the money to sign Werth and chose to use it on Lee instead. Werth didn't express any outward bitterness, but he flashed some of his competitiveness when asked about Lee landing in his old ballpark.

Werth said he's moved on, that he's happy about being a National. But he didn't back down from his old team, the franchise with four straight National League East titles.

"The news in Philadelphia, they got their boy back, I guess," Werth said. "That's fine. I think that's good. I like that. If you're going to be the best, you've got to beat the best. They make their plays, and we're going to make ours. I think in the course of time, you're going to see and people are going to see the Washington Nationals are for real. We're going to play the style of baseball that is going to bring championships to this city."

By Adam Kilgore  | December 15, 2010; 3:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jayson Werth has a full no-trade clause
Next: Mark Lerner talks balancing 'Phase 1' and 'Phase 2'

Comments

I like this guy a lot.

Posted by: jcampbell1 | December 15, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I thought he presented himself really well in the press conference. And as much as I have hated the Phillies over the last few years, Werth has always been a guy that you know is just going to go out there and play full out every at bat and every time the ball comes his way. No drama. We're lucky to have him.

Posted by: Baldino | December 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@jcampbell1.
you like this guy a lot? Why?
I liked him in philly but you have to understand that he has never been the #1or#2 guy. He also doesn't hit with runners in scoring position. He's going to fit in great in DC once they get another guy to take the weight off of him. I have a feeling you won't like him when he's double clutching in right field. You've already got Morgan who will make you mad in the outfield and if you're a true baseball fan Jayson will do the same from time to time.

Posted by: tidubl | December 15, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

That's why the Phillies didn't re-sign Werth, because his defense was comparable to Nyjer Morgan's.

Right.

Posted by: mike8 | December 15, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! This is what Werth brings to the table that , unfotunately, Dunn did not. I think Werth will have a major affect on this team's attitude.

Posted by: bobilly1 | December 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Mike, actually they didn't re-sign him because they didn't feel that a .128BA with runners in scoring position warranted a $100mil payday. He makes great plays in the field, but doesn't do the fundamentals like you would expect. You'll see.
And I'm not kidding when I say that as a Phils fan, I would still like him to be playing in Philadelphia rather than DC and I think I speak for the majority.

Posted by: tidubl | December 15, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Jayson Werth is a good player, but don't be fooled. He's not a nice guy. If the Nats stink next year, you might see his temper sooner than you think.

It really doesnt matter though, the Nats are still playing for fourth place.

Posted by: bmichael2 | December 15, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Werth is a #5 batter, he'll never be a great cleanup guy. He is a great runner and fielder. He is good but not worth the money the Nats paid. It's a shame he didn't take arbitration from the Phils, then he and Lee could have remained on the same team. Good luck, Nats. And, Jayson, have fun coming up against the Phab Phour this season, you'll need it.

Posted by: jillcohen | December 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse