Posted at 11:53 AM ET, 01/ 6/2011

A favorite emerges for the Nationals MASN analyst job

By Adam Kilgore

UPDATE, 8:32: The Nationals, as expected, are going to choose F.P. Santangelo as the analyst for Nationals games on MASN. Santangelo, 43, spent last season as the back-up analyst for both the San Francisco Giants team radio broadcasts and for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. No official announcement has been made.

Santangelo played outfield for four teams, primarily the Montreal Expos, over a seven-year career before retiring following the 2001 season. In 2007, Santegelo's name surfaced in the Mitchell Report, and he later admitted using human growth hormone on two occasions to heal injuries.

Ray Knight, who replaced Rob Dibble after the Nationals fired the controversial broadcaster, was among the finalists before the Nationals decided on Santangelo.

* * * * *

The Nationals have narrowed their search for Rob Dibble's full-time replacement as the team's analyst on MASN broadcasts, and an announcement could be coming soon, a Nationals team source said. MLB.com first reported the story.

The favorite for the job, according to a source, is Giants broadcaster and former player F.P. Santangelo. While it would be a surprise if Santangelo does not get the job, the source said, no official decision has been made. Ray Knight, who worked alongside play-by-play man Bob Carpenter following the Nationals' dismissal of Dibble, and former Cardinals Manager pitcher Joe Magrane are also finalists.

Santangelo, 43, played seven seasons with the Expos, Giants, Dodgers and Athletics. This season, he worked as a Giants' analyst for both the team's radio network and CSN Bay Area.

The Nationals whittled down a list of nearly 40 applicants to replace Dibble, who was ousted last season after making comments critical of Stephen Strasburg's response to the injury that would eventually require his Tommy John surgery. The ultimate decision on the analyst, like the decision to fire Dibble, will come from the Nationals, not decision-makers at MASN.

By Adam Kilgore  | January 6, 2011; 11:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals begin arbitration process with John Lannan, Michael Morse and Doug Slaten
Next: Could the Nationals have trumped the Cubs' offer for Matt Garza? Probably not.

Comments

He's got to be geeked to be able to get a steady gig, this would be a big break for him.

Posted by: Sunderland | January 6, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I liked Dibble.

Posted by: 202character | January 6, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Joe Magrane former Cardinals pitcher? That guy might be good, but he is a little too much like Carpenter (radio voiced, whiter than white teeth, hair helmet, pocket square, etc.) He did the Rays color for years, I am not sure how colorful his broadcasts were as I never saw one. He's pretty good on MLB Network (although looking good next to Mitch Willaims is no real feat). :-)

Posted by: dfh21 | January 6, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone but Ray Knight

Posted by: DCfan8397 | January 6, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

>>Santangelo was a stand by / substitute for both radio and TV and didn't get to work many games. The Giants have 4 guys to handle these duites, and Santangelo was the 5th to fill in when needed.
He's got to be geeked to be able to get a steady gig, Posted by: Sunderland

Wow, Sunderland gives us more info than K. Maybe he should be writing the blog. Was wondering why a Giants guy would wanna come here. Kilgore made it sound like he was giving up a full time job. Needed Sunderland to explain it. Now it makes sense. Thx.
Maybe Sunderland can make sense out of the rest of the Nats questionable decisions.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | January 6, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I liked Dibble too.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | January 6, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

>>liked Dibble too.Posted by: BrokenClipboard

Yea make it 3. Man up Nats. Admit your mistake and bring back the Dibbs. Sure he's better than any 5th string Giants announcer.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | January 6, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

As long as he doesn't talk all the time like Dibble and Knight, I'll take anyone. Now let's get rid of JH and Debbie...

Posted by: Bill-CH | January 6, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Not sure of Santangelo's appeal. I would prefer Ray Knight, from whom I actually learned something other than his opinion. The only thing that bugged me about him was his cheerleading for Espinoza.

Posted by: beiden | January 6, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I've heard F.P. before. He as pretty good and interesting. I think he is Eric Byrnes cousin (or good friend). I think he used to be a semiregular contributor on Byrnes radio show.

I love Magrane, though I fear having two Cardinals fans in the booth would be a bit much. Magrane is funny, knowledgeable, well spoken.

Sounds like a no lose scenario. Especially if we get Knight back on the pre/post game and occasional fill in. I like Knight, but he might be best suited as a utility broadcaster at this point.

(I did not love Dibble. I came to accept Dibble and found myself saying - he's not that bad. In retrospect, nothing to be missed. I'd be real happy if they got him off of the morning drive time XM gig too. He just can't shut up - has no idea he has a partner on the show.)

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 6, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

More on Santangelo.

Married to Michelle McLaughlin, Playboy Playmate.

Oh, and an entry in the Mitchell Report, pages 182 and 183.

F.P. Santangelo
F.P. Santangelo played several positions over short stints with four teams in
Major League Baseball between 1995 and 2001, the Montreal Expos, San Francisco Giants,Los Angeles Dodgers, and Oakland Athletics. He is now a radio broadcaster.
Radomski believed that Santangelo was referred to him by David Segui when
both played for the Expos between 1995 and 1997. Radomski produced one check from
Santangelo dated October 23, 2000 in the amount of $1,400, which Radomski said was payment for a kit of human growth hormone. A copy of that check is included in the Appendix and is shown below.
Radomski also recalled selling Deca-Durabolin and testosterone to Santangelo
once or twice during 2001 when Santangelo was with the Oakland Athletics. Radomski believed that Santangelo paid by check. Santangelo’s name, with an address and two telephone numbers, is listed in the address book seized from Radomski’s residence by federal agents.
Adam Piatt is a former major leaguer who was interviewed during this
investigation. Piatt and Santangelo played together at Oakland’s class AAA affiliate in
In order to provide Santangelo with information about these allegations and to
give him an opportunity to respond, I asked him to meet with me; he declined.

Posted by: Sunderland | January 6, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

>>Sacramento during the 2002 season. Santangelo provided Piatt with Radomski’s name and cell phone number in response to an inquiry by Piatt as to where he could get performance enhancing substances. Santangelo told Piatt that Radomski “will get you what you need.”

A juicer in the booth. Nice. Maybe he'll have a stronger voice come extra innings.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | January 6, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Fourth! (The man made me LOL at least once per game, even if sometimes the laugh was followed by "I can't believe he just said that." Also, he and Carpenter worked very well together, imo). And now for the category of "ships that have not sailed."

I like Magrane from what I've seen on MLB Network.

I'm not really familiar with Santangelo's work.

Knight seems like a nice guy, but for me a little bit of his Mr. Malaprop tendencies and telestrator abuse as a color analyst goes a long way.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 6, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I really liked Dibble, as he was one of the reason's I tuned in every night. It was kind of like the Howard Stern theory of "What was he going to say next?", in that both people who liked him and hated him listened to him (Having his own show helped too). In the end, Dibble was fired for being Dibble.

I kind of like Ray Knight, who also is starting to tell it like it is.

I don't mind Carpenter, as a play by play, although he is a bit too sunny optimistic for my tastes, but I can deal with him. MASN just needs someone to balance him out.

I've never heard of Santangelo, my fear is that he will be so grateful for this opportunity that he will be too optimistic and either confuse or spin the Nats being "cheap" (which they aren't behaving like lately) for "Payroll Flexibility".

Still laughing over that one.

Posted by: PNatsFan | January 6, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

One of the biggest hose jobs by the Nats hierarchy was the dismissal of Dibble count me in as one who would love to see Dibb's come back. I've never heard of any of these guys other than Knight.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 6, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Very sad that there is no one local even considered, but then again most of the locals wouldn't have a clue. If it ain't B&G related the local talking heads dismiss it as just a 5 second time filler before going to commercial.

Don't believe me...,well I actually timed Chick Hernandez on Tuesday night when he reported that the Nats signed LaRouche. He actually did it in just under 5 seconds and then broke for commercial. If it wasn't such a sad commentary on the state of the Nats in DC it would be hilarious.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | January 6, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, no juicers...

Posted by: Bill-CH | January 6, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

F.P. Santangelo would be an awesome selection, he's got everything that the long-suffering fans of the Nats deserve: no big time name recognition as a player, no big time name recognition as an announcer, extremely limited announcing background, no ties whatsoever to the area, nobody else that really wants him.

Great idea, fellas, thanks!

Posted by: mike8 | January 6, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Diddo on Magrane. He's good on MLB. And I can't stress this enough, I could not tolerate one more game with Dribble in the booth. Dude has diarrhea of the mouth.

Posted by: pwilly | January 6, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

so the Nats are dumpster-diving to fill in the open spot in the broadcast booth now?

Posted by: erocks33 | January 6, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I liked Dibble too and will miss him, but he ain't coming back. I like Knight,from whom I also have learned some interesting things, for pre- and post-game as well as for an occasional fill in. But not for the full time broadcast. I think Carpenter is a fine play by play guy. Never heard the other guys, but looking forward to listening next year.

Posted by: NatsFly | January 6, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm sticking with "mute" and Charlie& Dave!

Posted by: Bill-CH | January 6, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"F.P. Santangelo played several positions over short stints with four teams in
Major League Baseball between 1995 and 2001, the Montreal Expos,"

Thus if he does end up getting the job, his Expos experience will get him enshrined into the Nationals Ring of Honor long before the likes of Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler. Indeed, he may already be on the Ring of Honor. I'll have to check next time I'm at the park.

Posted by: FeelWood | January 6, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Carpy's a nice guy, but let's face it, he's about as close to Vin Scully as Dan Quayle was to Jack Kennedy.

Dibble was "refreshing" at times but was an unprofessional knucklehead at others. He's tolerable as a loudmouthed radio personality but too much on a day-to-day, play-by-play basis. Leave reality tv alone and get a real announcer.

It shouldn't be this hard to get a competent broadcast team in place. Until they do, I'll be listening to the radio.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 6, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"It shouldn't be this hard to get a competent broadcast team in place."

Yeah. That job's so simple even a homeless guy could do it.

Posted by: FeelWood | January 6, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Have heard Santangelo on the xm baseball channel and found him to be quite good. The broadcast gurus could do a lot worse and not much better by hiring F.P. I'm (hopefully) looking forward to watching and listening for his insight into the game. Learning from the likes of Jon Miller, and the rest of the friscocasters can't have done anything but help his broadcasting experience. Good luck F.P. should you be the hire!! I still miss Dibs though.

Posted by: cokedispatch | January 6, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

More on Santangelo.

Married to Michelle McLaughlin, Playboy Playmate.

--------------------

hired!

Posted by: buster_c | January 6, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"More on Santangelo.

Married to Michelle McLaughlin, Playboy Playmate."

A nice qualification to have. I guess Hugh Hefner wasn't available?

Posted by: FeelWood | January 6, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm alone but I wasn't a Dibble fan; too many times he came off to me as the unpopular kid in school who was trying too hard to be popular. He always just seemed to be trying too hard.

And I'm on board with the plan to hire new employees with playmates WAGs.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 6, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay, but only if we can pick up a sideline reporter who is married to a Chippendales dancer. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 6, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I loved Rob Dibble - while his comments re: Strasburg were obviously wrong, he wasn't afraid to speak his mind, was knowledgable and passionate.

Knight knows his stuff, but has such a boring delivery it was really hard to watch.

I LOVED watching the Nats when Dibs was on. Hopefully they'll pick a color man with some "color."

Posted by: alecrogers1 | January 6, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

You and me, SC. I couldn't stand Dibble.

When Extra Innings was only showing the MASN broadcast, I got to the point where I was hitting mute. When provided an option, I usually chose the other team's feed.

Typically, listening to the broadcasts from other teams just reaffirmed how terrible Dibble was.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 6, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Bring back DIBBLE! If you can't bring him back, get the new stud Santangelo, and write a clause in his contract that his wife will replace Debbie Taylor. THAT'S who we need to replace.

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | January 6, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Why are people dumping on this choice without actually hearing him?

None of the local sports anchors are qualified to talk about baseball, which is one reason that they concentrate on B & G. The ironic thing is that, with George Michael's background (member of SABR, THE expert on baseball photographs) and Glen Brenner's experience and humor, they would have been the perfect pairing.

While I'm not enamored of Carpenter, IMO, he does a more than competent, professional job as play by play announcer. With a very few exceptions, most of the best possibilities for color are really still involved in the game.

What I really would like to have seen (heard?) is a one man booth, a la Vin Scully, with Mike Patrick at the mic. He has that soft, West Va, accent, is a local (GWU...although under his real name, Michael Patrick Frankhouser), and is very baseball knowledgeable.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | January 6, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

This is already a win, since we all just Googled Michelle McLaughlin.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 6, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"...former Cardinals Manager Joe Magrane are also finalists."

Adam, Magrane never managed the Cardinals, or anywhere else for that matter. He did pitch for the Cardinals.

I'm sure some of you will say things in response to my comment about how I should lighten up, how this is a blog and it doesn't really matter if it's accurate, how we're getting this for free and should be grateful for anything, etc.

But, seriously? Shouldn't a reporter strive to be accurate and have their writing be factually correct, regardless of the forum? And correct themselves...i.e. update the blog post...when they're wrong? Show some pride in their work?

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | January 6, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Can any of these guys pitch? Because 6 or 7 reasonably efficient innings every fifth game is what the Nats really need right now...

Posted by: eddinska1 | January 6, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Why is Kevin trying to keep Kilgore from becoming the next Boswell?

Posted by: FeelWood | January 6, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Magrane or Santangelo would be acceptable to me. Knight seemed to get lost last year in his own ramblings and with Dibble I could take it or leave it.

Now can MASN please, please, please replace Johnnie Holiday and Debi Taylor for us? Neither one of them bring any value to the table in their respective positions.

Posted by: CHAMP1464 | January 6, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

CiL, you should lighten up, how this is a blog and it doesn't really matter if it's accurate, we're getting this for free and should be grateful for anything, etc.

Actually, I'm with you.
Calling Magrane an MLB manager is a faux pas for this and any other medium.
(or did he manage the Bayshore Gardens 10 and under Cardinals?).

Posted by: Sunderland | January 6, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The Nats had someone with passion who seemed to have genuine desire to see the team do well and was not afraid to call out the pitchers, coaches or anyone if he felt they needed it. Not especially cool about Strasburg remark but hey, I was at the game and I was thinking the same thing. Bring on another milquetoast guy to go along with the owners. Another reason not to watch.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 6, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosco3 | January 6, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosco3 | January 6, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

CHAMP1464,

How dare you speak such ill words towards Jonnie "The American Hero" Holiday. He is a DC Metro area staple and I love waving to that goofy bstrd every time I leave the park.

As for Debbie Taylor. Seriously, how did she get this job?! Seriously? No, like I mean seriously..............

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | January 6, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wait a second.

How is it possible that people are talking about who they would like to see MASN get rid of and Phil Wood's name hasn't been mentioned even once? I can't imagine how anyone who has no playing experience, and yet is as disdainful of fans as he is, has survived on air for as long as he has.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | January 6, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Bosco3. Dibble was the man. He was entertaining as hell and he bestowed his fair share of good baseball knowledge. I liked how was emotionally invested in the Nats and was estatic when won and got disgusted when we lost. I liked how he called out players too. Santangelo better not be Ron Darling part 2, a rookie announcer who is painful to listen too.

Posted by: GiterDunn | January 6, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Holiday is a joke - his hair makes him look like a drunk bum.

Posted by: GiterDunn | January 6, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't find Phil Wood disdainful of fans, unless they're a-holes. But I must say his hair frightens me.

Posted by: FeelWood | January 6, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

And people are always saying "why don't they put on some announcers with local ties?" Because that gets you the likes of Johnny Holliday and Phil Wood, that's why. Now there are several guys with past ties to the Nats that would be very entertaining on the broadcasts. Bowden, Fick, Bacsik, to name three. But they'd never summon the cojones to do something like that.

Posted by: FeelWood | January 6, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

So seriously, just wondering, in general, are people OK with a guy who used HGH as a player getting hired by the Nats to do commentary.

I'm a little uncomfortable with it.
Clearly MLB is OK with it, what with McGwire managing, er, coaching the Cardinals.

Is it all water under the bridge, not an issue at all?

Posted by: Sunderland | January 6, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

CIL: the post got corrected. Feel all better?

Posted by: NatsFly | January 6, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wait, our starting CATCHER an FHOF used HGS and roids. WHO CARES?! Using performance enhancers doesn't make you a bad person, it shows that you care about winning and you are competitive.

Here's what the Nationals haven't been since 2005; 'competitive.'

We've got a shot at a young and fast rising baseball announcer, who happens to LOVE baseball. He also happens to love his hot wife. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Perhaps we cam somehow fix it so that Phil Wood is 'caught' giving Debbie Taylor some HGH, and we can be rid of both of those monstrosities.

I want a WINNING and COMPETITIVE team each year.

I want a HOT sideline announcer that will actually entice the players into interviews willingly.

I want knowledgeable play callers and color guys that keep me entertained.

I want a ball club that enjoys being a bunch of under dog glory hounds, looking for that sweet taste of victory. The kind of guys that will run over Debbie Taylor, no matter the cost or what happens to her side line reporting career.

Is this too much to ask?

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | January 6, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure Phil Wood hates fans, but I find Wood to be a little too confident that his opinion is the one that carries the day. A bit of a baseball elitist. He knows his stuff, big time, but he aint Bobby Cox or anything.

Baseball lends itself to differing philosophies and points of view (classic baseball versus sabermetric; 3 run homer versus small ball, etc.) - sometimes completely differing opinions can be equally as valid. I feel like Wood is very often trying to explain why his view (often consistent with the official line of the club, btw) is the truly right one. I can do without that stuff.

Posted by: dfh21 | January 6, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Now if they could just get rid of that no-talent hack, Johnny Holiday!

Posted by: noslok | January 6, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping they would hire either Cliff Lee or Zack Greinke as the color guy in the booth.

Posted by: JOC44 | January 6, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@dfh & cil...Phil Wood, while he has not played professional baseball, is at least as knowledgeable as anyone in our booth or most of those in other booths. He has followed baseball in DC since he was a kid. He moved to Balto, because he was doing some work for that club, when there was no team in DC. He has been dealing with SABRmetrics for decades and knows his stuff.

Also, he was fired by Angelos, some years ago, for telling the truth about the Birds. For me, that is as good a credential as you can have.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | January 6, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Ease up on Johnny Holliday. As a Terp fan, I have a soft spot for the guy.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 6, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The thing about Dibble was that he spiced up the awful product. It obviously ended up a little too spicy. But I'll be damned if Ray Knight didn't bore the heck out of me. I'm not familiar with F P, but I'm all for any candidate not named Knight.

Posted by: Bog_Reader | January 6, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH with the J Holiday ripping. Let's get back to what's really important, getting rid of Debbie 'The Butcher' Taylor.

No one has informed me as to HOW it was that she got this job.

Can you imagine us in the playoffs? The whole world is watching and Joe Buck says, "Debbie Taylor has some interesting insight for us...." The camera pans to 'The Butcher' and the whole world gasps. We are forever shamed in the baseball world. I want to know WHO it is we can all blame for this future television massacre. I can see it now. Conversations all across the baseball world:

Somewhere in Kentucky...."Man, that sure is cool the Natioanls finally won something! Yeah, but did you get a look at their sideline reporter?! Geeesh"

Somewhere in NY and Boston.... "Who the &^% was the Nationals sidleline broad!?...................................................................................

Somewhere in Chine....... *^(8#&@*@(@.... Missles........ Tranlation - We should get our fake F-22 and do The Nationals a favor by taking down that side line reporter.

OH THE TERROR OF IT ALL!!!! Please show us some mercy!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | January 6, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

NatsFly, thanks for pointing it out. Not sure what the "feel all better" snipe is all about though.

Adam should be getting things right in his posts, and he should correct them when he doesn't and it's pointed out. He did this time, but he rarely does. Zuckerman and Goessling, meanwhile, respond regularly to reader questions and comments in their threads--and Zuckerman is getting many more commenters on his blog these days than Adam is getting here. I suppose that should not be surprising given their relative level of engagement...

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | January 6, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Ones preference for Dibble is of little concern in this matter. The fact is, his release from the broadcast team is just another in a long line of irrational decision making by the Nationals organization. When you hire Rob Dibble, you expect someone who is going to stir the pot, bring controversy, and perhaps some attention to a poor and still somewhat fledgling franchise. Dibble delivered on his end of the bargain. I for one, did not have a particular distaste for Dibble, but the rash decision making by the Nationals was foolish.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | January 6, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Magrane would be fine. I like him on MLB Network. Don't know anything about Santangelo. Pretty much ANYBODY but Ray Knight.

Posted by: wartown1 | January 6, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Johnny Holliday is to Nationals announcing as Sam Huff is to Redskins announcing. Discuss.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 6, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I would just fire everyone and start from scratch.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

>Diddo on Magrane. He's good on MLB.

Posted by: pwilly

He's excellent on there. He would most likely hold the pitching staff accountable, but in that straight midwestern way. Same as Carpy. I actually think Carp would relax a little more, he's had difficult jobs with these guys that won't shut up. I'm amazed he's still here doing the PBP. It can't be easy doing PBP for bad teams 4-5 years in a row, it certainly wasn't any easier to do it with the people they paired him with. I just hope that Marky Jr. doesn't fall in love with Santangelo's charm - they need someone who's got some national cache. Like Magrane.

Posted by: Brue | January 6, 2011 6:48 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth to DC area fans who aren't that familiar with Santangelo, I saw him give a couple post game interviews while he was with the Expos.

If he's half as entertaining as he was in those interviews, he'll end up putting Dibble to shame, and quickly becoming a fan favorite.

Posted by: KenzAFan | January 6, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

@KenzAFan: also, if he continues doing stuff like ... getting into fights with Jose Canseco at the Playboy Mansion on NYE, he will also become a fan favorite. Not sure if that will help job security, though:

Posted by: TheNationalsEnquirer | January 6, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

We should pay whatever it takes to hire Jon Miller away from the Giants (and fire everyone else), if for no other reason than it would make PMcP crap his pants.

Plus he's a great announcer. Miller, not PMcP.

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 6, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I just hope whoever is announcing constantly says "Nationals comfortably up in the 7th, no action in the bullpen, another strong outing by our starters"

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 6, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Debbi Taylor's husband Wade works in the Nats front office. I'm sure that didn't hurt when she auditioned for the job.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | January 6, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

CIL: No snipe intended. I admit that I don't get the negativity--you are right to point out an error, but the nasty edge just befuddles me. Adam is a young journalist working in a paper which, like all of them, is struggling to get by. He isn't Boz who can remember all these things from his life. He is also on a blog where sometimes speed (which we demand) affects accuracy. He is a young fellow doing the best he can. Correct him, sure, but why dump on him? Lighten up, buddy. I hope you at least subscribe to the hard copy.

Posted by: NatsFly | January 6, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter who the color guy is?Aren't the TV ratings the lowest in the league?

Posted by: hotrod2 | January 6, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

My two-cents: Magrane has a good on-air presence, but might be too much of a StL 'homeboy' alongside Crapenter. That would remain to be seen, I suppose. Santangelo could be a 'fresh voice', but how much TV has he done (just wondering).

However, either one would be preferable to Knight, imo. Since the Nationals FO has final say in the matter, I'd guess the pecking order looks like this...

1- Santangelo
2- Knight
3- Magrane

If Knight loses out on the 'color' gig, he'll most likely go back to pre- & post- game shows with Holliday on MASN. If he wins the 'color' gig, he'll most likely get replaced by Phil Wood in the studio.

Posted by: BinM | January 6, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, this topic certainly set folks off. As has been pointed out, it matters not that many of us liked Dibble. What happened to the reasoning, when they dumped Paciorek, that the analyst should be a pitcher?

As for me, I'm with the anybody-but-Knight crowd. I like Ray (having followed the Mets in '86, after all), but not as a broadcaster.

Posted by: nats24 | January 6, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

NatsFly, I subscribe to the hard copy. But Kilgore's work is no better there, I'm afraid.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 6, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Nunof1 I subscribe too. I am ecstatic to have a paper like WaPo. By comparison to the St Louis Post Dispatch, where I spend Christmas with my family, we are in heaven. I really think the critics just don't get what is happening financially in the newspaper business. You just might consider being grateful for these people doing what they can in a very hard climate. Or you can just continue ragging on them, I guess.

Posted by: NatsFly | January 6, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

@nats24: The voices of the franchise draw strong opinions. If you were to tell me (as a radio fan) that Charlie & Dave were being replaced, I'd freak out.

Bob Carpenter has a long, steady lineage as a play-by-play announcer; I'm OK with him as the lead, even though I refer to him most often as "Crapenter". The Nationals have yet to find a compatabile presence in the booth as a 'color' man.

Ron Darling was just getting his feet wet in the industry in 2005, but has improved greatly (imho) in the interim. Don Sutton (who we rented from ATL, via StanK) was knowledegable, but never seemed comfortable here. Dribble was a 'hired gun', who both sold out to a team he had no vested interest in, and then spoke his mind (far too often), and polarized both the TV fans & Nationals FO as a result. Knight is best served in small doses, imo; The pre- /post- game studio slot w/Johnny Holliday is more than enough.

I tended to get most of my games through TV on mute, with Charlie & Dave off a delayed internet feed. It might be out of synch, but it's a better compromise than what I've been offered to date from the teams' broadcast packages (MASN / Radio).

Posted by: BinM | January 6, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Welcome F.P. Great News!

And great to have a true franchise player who can drop occasional historical knowledge on us.

And Adam, thank you for the news. Pleased to have your posts.

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 6, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Charlie, Dave? I live in DC so can't listen to them after sunset. I always thought they just quit when the sun went down ... You mean we have radio somewhere for the whole game?

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | January 6, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

@BinM, I actually like Bob Carpenter, and I always wonder why he gets so much criticism here. Listening to most games on my computer, I get to hear the other teams' TV guys, and Bob C holds up very well, I think. I also hear Darling a lot, as my kids remain Mets fans, and he has become a very good as an analyst.

And I know this sounds like heresy, but although I enjoy Dave on radio, but Charlie, he's not up there with Dan Daniels. John MacLean, Bob Wolf or Chuck Thompson, for me.

Posted by: nats24 | January 6, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Johnny Holliday has not only hosted the Nationals pre and post game shows,he was on the pre-game show on the Senators radio broadcasts in 1971.

Posted by: seanmg | January 6, 2011 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I know it ain't gonna happen, in this PC worls, but bring back Dibble...The one you need to replace is Debbie..Who does she know in the powers that be to still have that job...To quote Bill Walton, "she's HORRIBLE" !!!!

Posted by: frostanna | January 7, 2011 6:13 AM | Report abuse

I like Carpenter and will miss Knight who was an improvement over Dibble.

Posted by: tcfalls | January 7, 2011 6:19 AM | Report abuse

The talents of the broadcast crew that the Nats turn out each year simply are not at the big league level. Carpenter is marginal, and in all of his years of broadcasting has never bothered to work on his voice projection. His high-pitched, sing-song voice sounds like he's leading a Boy Scout troop. Dibble at least sounded like he had some testosterone. I'll be interested to hear Santangelo's on-air voice, and also find out whether he can better handle the replay summaries that Ray Knight stumbled through night after night.

Johnny Holliday et al are simply bush leaguers. The Orioles' announcers are even better, and that's saying something.

Now that the Nats are clearly trying to improve the team's chances, it's past tiem that they do something about the quality of the TV announcers. IMHO they're one reason the ratings are so low. Like so much else they did wrong, the front office started off on the wrong foot with their TV choices, and it shows.

Posted by: JohnRDC | January 7, 2011 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Does the F.P. in Santangelo's name stand for Former Playmate?

Posted by: FeelWood | January 7, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

fwiw, I had the same reaction re. the Mitchell Report connection, Sunderland. But I don't think that fan opinions factor into such decisions all that much, if at all.

OTOH, I don't give a rat's patoot about who the man's wife is, or whether he engaged in fisticuffs with Canseco. (I'm not big on gossip, and I prefer to form an opinion based on my own observations rather than on what others say about a given person.)

As far as F.P.'s broadcasting skillz, I've never heard him work a game, so I'll wait to form an opinion until I've done so. (Wait, this *is* still the Internetz, right?)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2011 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I, like so many other Nats' fans, really liked Rob Dibble. I will miss his humor, his intelligence, and his refreshing unguardedness. I also liked his extreme homerism, which is what a home team's baseball announcers are supposed to be.

But I am willing to give Santangelo a fair chance, and this willingness stems from experience times three, to wit:

1. The first concerns Warner Wolf, who I loved on Channel 9 and thought we'd never do better, but then WTOP (or WDVM or WUSA or whatever they call themselves these days) got Glenn Brenner, who was the Best. Local News Sports Guy. EVER!

2. I was very sad when Chuck Thompson semi-retired, who I listened to and loved for many years, first as a Senators' announcer alongside Arch McDonald and the second time for the Orioles. I never thought he could be improved upon, but then the Orioles replaced him with Jon Miller, who stands alone (or maybe with one companion, Vin Scully) atop the baseball announcer world. (I'll tell you, though, the Nats' own Charlie Slowes is nearing the top of that pedestal, too.)

3. How could anyone ever be better than Ron Weber at announcing hockey games. He made you see the game action more clearly when you were listening on the radio than you would see it on TV. But now the Caps have Joe Beninati, who may be even better. I think he's wasted on TV -- when he's announcing, you can close your eyes and see everything.

So I'm ready to give Santangelo a chance. I mean, Dibble was WAY better than Sutton, and so maybe it's a trend.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | January 7, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Two more cents from me: I do not care about his use of HGH. He apprently knew he was doing wrong, but if I remember the facts that were reported correctly, he had medical advice, was one of the first to come out and say he did it, and in any event has moved on from that phase of his life and is now a broadcaster. Had he been caught while playing in those years, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and counseling. (Which probably would have been the appropriate response IMHO).

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 7, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I happened to really like Knight and thought he deserved the job. I think the real question is, when can we get rid of kindergarten teacher Debbie Taylor?

Posted by: egoodman8 | January 7, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

debbie reminds me of dora the explorer. wrong audience. she needs to go.

Posted by: longterm | January 7, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

To paraphrase the quote attributed to many sources, maybe Taylor doesn't care what you say about her, as long as you spell her name right - it's Debbi, fwiw. (Sorry, but my inner proofreader made me go there.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow, she even spells it like a ditz. One more reason to can her. Lol @ Dora the Explorer.

Posted by: egoodman8 | January 7, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I too look forward to hearing Santangelo. As concerns the HGH issue, using it was not the right thing to do, but I don't think it should disqualify Santangelo from this job. Hope he is a good fit with Carpenter, who is a very good play by play guy, imo. I also spent a lot of time out of town last year and listened on my computer--Carpenter is superior to a lot of broadcasters from other teams. Also hope they keep Knight on the pre- and post-game shows. He really knows his stuff and I like him in smaller doses.

Posted by: NatsFly | January 7, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

When I got rid of my cable last spring I did not miss the MASN broadcasts, especially since the radio team is so good. So announcing who the finalists are for the MASN gig is like telling me who is going to be debating at the Republican Presidential primary.

Posted by: paulkp | January 7, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

So this Santangelo guy was named in the Mitchell Report? Perusing his stats, looks like he must have gotten the placebo like Nook Logan did.

Posted by: FeelWood | January 7, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so Ankiel and Pudge are on the club and Villone, Sledge, Mr. Muscle himself Nook Logan, Jose Guillen and LoDuca have been on the club, and people have concerns about the color man the Nats might add having some connection to PED's? Might be stretching the indignation over the MLB PED culture of yore a bit thin here folks.

Anyway, I care much less about who is in the booth than I do about who is on the field. They still need a rotation piece that they can project to throw something close to 200 innings and they still need back end bull pen help. They have money to spend; time's a wastin'! Get her done Rizzo!!

Posted by: dfh21 | January 7, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

FeelWood, digressing, but one of the best lines that came out after the Mitchell Report was released.
"Given that there are 7 Orioles in the Mitchell Report, can we please stop referring to them as performance enhancing drugs".

Posted by: Sunderland | January 7, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Re-hire Dibble.

He made watching bad baseball interesting.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | January 7, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

dfh21, correct me if I am wrong but most of those guys played before the club knew and LowPuka was signed days prior to his "outing".

I think Ankiel said his was rehabbing from an injury and certainly is the most questionable, and Pudge never tested positive. Not sure about Villone.

Santangelo is a cheater but that becomes an integrity issue when you know that fact.

Santangelo is a small guy in stature. Not sure what his motivations were but I could make some guesses.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 7, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Cubs nearing big Matt Garza trade:

Posted by: poncedeleroy | January 7, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

What GoingGoingGone said, and I believe that there were commenters who raised the issue back when LoDuca came on board as well.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

And it looks like the Cubs are giving up their top prospects to get it done

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 7, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Garza to the Cubs will mean that Carlos Zambrano will be available with the Cubs willing to take less than a monster haul in return for the guy and them willing to eat some of his salary.

Posted by: dfh21 | January 7, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Sounds okay, but I would much prefer that they bring Dibble back.

Posted by: dontknowdiddley | January 7, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I used to live in the Bay Area and am a big Giants fan. I listen to a lot of their broadcasts on the internet. F.P.'s main role last season was hosting a talk show on the flagship radio station after each game. He would talk for 2-3 hours, every day, about the Giants and baseball, and take calls, and occasionally fill in on the game broadcasts. I hope he does a show like that here, or inspires someone else to do it. DC doesn't have nearly as much airtime devoted to the Nats as KNBR does to the Giants. We need to get the broadcasts on ESPN 980, and get them to stop talking about the Redskins all day in March and June, and get people excited about the Nats!

Posted by: pxl4 | January 7, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to miss Dibble. He made some pretty awful games entertaining. Nobody can be worse than Don Sutton though. Great Pitcher; Awful Color Commentator.

Posted by: Andymr | January 7, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Glad Dibble is gone -- don't need the "we" thing at all, or any more basso declarations of "Noiiiish!" as passing for informative commentary. I liked Ray, mush-mouthedness notwithstanding, but not necessarily as the everyday cc. Don't know about the rest, and certainly have my reservations about the ability of a known juicer to comment fairly on the matter (although who knows, I guess there's always the chance he might turn out to be more candid and credible than an ex-player from the steroid era who wasn't outed). But I'm willing to try anyone the club thinks is best in order to get the booth where it really oughta be (and Carp deserves).

Posted by: evanescent_panoply | January 7, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

As long as Santangelo doesn't say what he really feels, his job should be secure w Nats brass!

PS. Can somebody enlighten me who FP is and what B&G stands for? Thx.

Posted by: nb888 | January 8, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Our loss. Your gain!! I am a frequent listener to the SF Giants flagship station KNBR and a FP fan. Give him a chance -- he's knowledgable, doesn't pull punches and has a sense of humor. He'll bring a fresh attitude and interesting commentary to the Nats. Glad for your move up FP - best of luck and thanks for the entertainment and inside baseball knowledge that you brought to the fans of SF baseball.

Give him a listen on www.knbr.com 7-10 PST