Posted at 11:03 AM ET, 01/ 4/2011

Adam LaRoche still in discussions with the Nationals

By Adam Kilgore

The Nationals' search for a first baseman to replace Adam Dunn has focused on Adam LaRoche ever since the Baltimore Orioles agreed to terms with Derrek Lee, and it seems increasingly likely LaRoche will end up in Washington.

While there is apparently no timetable in place, LaRoche and the Nationals remain "in discussions," one team source said. The source requested anonymity because the negotiations are ongoing.

LaRoche, 31, is regarded as the best free agent first baseman available, and the Nationals, after losing Dunn to the White Sox in free agency, are the team most in need of a first baseman. The Nationals have Michael Morse as an internal solution, but General Manager Mike Rizzo has said he greatly prefers bringing in an external candidate to be the Nationals' everyday first baseman.

"It just seems like such a natural fit," the source said.

On Friday, MLB.com reported the Nationals had offered LaRoche a two-year deal.

Last season, LaRoche hit .261/.320/.468 (average/on-base/slugging) with 25 home runs and 100 RBIs for the Arizona Diamondbacks. In his eight-year career, mostly with the Braves and Pirates, LaRoche has hit .271/.339./488 with an average of 26 home runs and 93 RBIs per season.

>>One last thing: I wanted to make a quick point about yesterday's post below that, judging from some the comments, I didn't make clear enough: The notion of using a platoon at first base compared to LaRoche was just my own analysis of the situation, and some of it was hypothetical. Re-reading it this morning, I felt I did a poor job of making that obvious. It was not meant as any news that came from the team or anywhere else. If that wasn't clear, then it's my fault and I apologize. Thanks.

By Adam Kilgore  | January 4, 2011; 11:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weighing Adam LaRoche and a first base platoon
Next: Who will be the Nationals' 25th man?

Comments

No need for an apology. Looked like more of an editorial than Nationals policy. I believe Morse can serve as a valuable super sub to place first, and the two corner outfield positions, even platoon in Left with Bernadina/Ankiel. I think Ankiel will give Niger a run for the starting job. Interesting spring training dual. Thanks for the updates on Laroche. I think it would be a good hire. Bobby Mills

Posted by: bobby5050 | January 4, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

No need to apologize AK, you get to have your thoughts and opinions.

I still think he signs here, just makes too much sense. I wonder if the holdup is years or money.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 4, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree with bobby5050: no need to apologize. I didn't read your post as a news item at all, but rather as an intriguing counter-argument to the conventional wisdom that the Nats absolutely MUST sign a free agent 1st baseman this offseason. Your post read as a pure hypothetical. My only disagreement was with the notion that either Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder would actually consider signing with the Nationals. I don't see Pujols ever leaving St. Louis. And while the Nats might have a slightly better shot at signing Fielder, I just can't imagine that the Brewers would have invested so much in acquiring Greinke if they intended to let their best hitter leave one year later. I'm not sure what the long term solution at 1st base is, but I don't see it being Pujols or Fielder.

Posted by: cc1776 | January 4, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Having followed the Nats closely since their arrival, I have learned the value of a bench. As such, I think having Morse on the bench on opening day would be an outstanding upgrade to the team. Between pinch hitting, and playing first base and the outfield, he could easily get 350-450 at bats when the starters are being rested or are injured. I know I used to focus on the 8 starters and not worry about the bench but usually someone will miss a large chunk of the season, like Willingham did last year. Also, a deep bench helps push the starters to do better and can also allow flexibility to make key trades during the season.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having Morse on the bench. It beats having a Mench or Maxwell or so many others we've had through the years. What a bonus it would be to have a backup catcher that can actually help the team. I wish Wil Nieves all the best. He is a wonderful person and I hope he does well in Milwaukee. Better there than here, though.

Posted by: Section314 | January 4, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

An Akiel/Morse platoon at 1B, batting 5th is a losing idea. The Nats need real LH power in the lineup every day and they need a guy who can pick it at 1B. They need Adam LaRoche. Ankiel might be a nice guy to play LF and bat 6th, but he's not a clean-up guy by any stretch.

LaRoche is well better than a league average 1B. AK spoke too broadly. Guys who hit 25 Hr's every year are not average players. A guy who knocked in 100 RBI on a lousy club is not your average Joe. And he defends better than most guys at the position.

The Nats are MILES better if they ink this guy. It is time for them to just get it done.

Posted by: dfh21 | January 4, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Adam LaRoche should be a nice addition to the Nats roster. LaRoche is a nine inning player unlike Dunn who because of his defensive deficiencies had to be replace in the late innings when the Nats were leading.

LaRoche could be a bridge at first base for the Nats until one of the Nats farm hands (Tyler Moore or Chris Marrero) show up.

Why isn't Bryce Harper consider a future first baseman or is he needed more in the outfield ?

I wonder how come the Nats haven't signed free agent utility man Willie Bloomquist, he played for Riggleman in Seattle and happens to be a client of Scott Boras. I think Willie Bloomquist would be a better signing then Willie Harris.

Posted by: 4U2Know | January 4, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Laroche is a waste of time any money since they have Morse. Who's bat can provide more
offence. The Nats need pitching. They have same hasbeens as last year and a Laroche upgrade is a waste of time. Get PITCHING

Posted by: chiro1623 | January 4, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Note to Nats org - Stop Leaking and Start Paying.

I'm so tired of hearing about "efforts" made to sign players. Tell us about when it's done, and stop patting yourself on the back publicly for negotiating with every free agent out there, especially when payroll is still near league bottom, and the GM and manager are among the lowest paid in the league.

Also, it doesn't matter who starts at first, because Riggleman will be giving charity innings to whoever's on the bench. They could sign Albert Pujols, and Riggleman would sit the guy at odd times to make sure Adam Kennedy or Willie Harris or Kevin Mench got some playing time. The guy acts like he's managing sensitive 8 year olds in Falls Church Little League.

Now, Rizzo and his staff somehow think leaking info about negotiations like this to Adam K. will get those of us who actually pay to watch this team to keep quiet. Keep dreaming. With/without LaRoche, Werth, Lee, Dunn, whoever, the decision making process at 1500 South Capitol is clearly confused, and rather than respect that we've been excessively patient with this train wreck of a team, we keep hearing the same nonsense about "being competitive in two years" we've heard since 2006. You might be surprised ticket sales haven't picked up since the Werth signing, but the Willingham salary dump showed that "Phase 2" was nothing more than the same old defensive PR out of the front office.

Posted by: tgt111 | January 4, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I really hope they sign Laroche, it will make me much more excited for THIS Season. However, if they don't it's just another rebuilding year anyway, of which I'll have little interest in attending many games until the Nats get serious.

Posted by: PNatsFan | January 4, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section314 | January 4, 2011 11:55 AM

Agreed. With all the Dunn and Werth hubbub, one thing lost is looking at the potential OVERALL 2011 team as it relates to 2010. It's not simply Dunn v LaRoche or Dunn v Werth or Willingham v Morse - it's (potentially):

Dunn-Willingham-Kennedy-Guzman-Harris-Maxwell-Nieves

vs.

LaRoche-Werth-Espinosa-Gonzalez-Ankiel-Mench-Brown-Ramos

With hopeful maturing/improvements to Desmond-Morse-Morgan(gulp)-Bernadina. You can see what Rizzo is doing with the 2011 roster when you look at the second group of players in relation to the first. His aim is to be better than the 25th 'best' batting team in Major League Baseball (worst in the NL East). Not hit the prettiest home runs, not become the '27 Yankees, just cross home plate a bit more. We'll see how it goes.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 4, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The Nats need LaRoche and Pitching. In order to get that pitching the Nats can't sell off their future so they are going to have to rely mostly on the farm system and Free Agency and luck (something they have never had.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 4, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

AK --- Not a great post (how many do you do a year? ±350?) but a necessary one because we WANT news. Speculation and analysis is all we can hope for right now.

I think Rizzo is playing it right. Little leaks here and there, cards close to the chest.

And the big trade could still be coming. With Norris, Pudge, Flores and Ramos at catcher, someone's gotta go....

Posted by: nattydread1 | January 4, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

There's really no "leaking" going on. There's a group of media professionals asking a bunch of different members of the Nats fron office every day what's going on. And these media professionals then write and report.
Rizzo has been as tight lipped as can be about his dealing with Stras, Harper, Werth and everyone else.
Silly to think that with Adam, Zuckerman, Goessling, Ladson et al bugging all the different Nats folks that every Nats, every time would say 'no comment.

Adam, no need for an apology for yesterday. It was clear enough that this was your speculation. And given you just did the "Looks like we're gonna get LaRoche" posting, and there was nothing else to write about, giving us a "What if we don't get LaRoche" posting made sense.
Thought it was an interesting and well done piece. Better than a "Strasburg is still bored and rehabbing" piece.

Posted by: Sunderland | January 4, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, does anyone have insight into when the Nats will announce the dates for their 2011 Winter Caravan?

Posted by: twinbrook | January 4, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Suck it up and sign Laroche to a three year deal. He has no history of injury. He's a solid performer and the Nats need a real first baseman at the position. So what if you're stuck with the 3rd year when Marrero is ready. Marrero's contract is small so you won't be adding much money. Somebody else said it either in this thread or another. If you use Morse/Ankiel at first all of a sudden you have no depth. Laroche will save Zimmerman and Desmond about 15 errors combined this year. Get him.

Posted by: ouvan59 | January 4, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

When you pick up your phone and find a reporter on the other end of the phone you have limited choices - hang up, lie, tell the whole truth, tell a partial truth, confirm or deny, etc....If the question being asked is "Are you negotiating with Adam LaRoche?" It's not really worth lying about.

Same thing goes for LaRoche's agent. Why would he deny discussions are ongoing.

On the other hand if you are Adam LaRoche's agent and you have waited this long, you've got to decide when waiting starts taking money off the table instead of putting it on. LaRoche probably does have other options, but I'm guessing most of them are single year, lower dollar options.

Take the deal.

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 4, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Between pinch hitting, and playing first base and the outfield, [Mike Morse] could easily get 350-450 at bats when the starters are being rested or are injured."

If Mike Morse gets that many at-bats this season (and remember he's never had even as many as 270), the Nots will lose at least as many games as they did in 2010.

"Laroche [sic] is a waste of time any [sic] money since they have Morse. Who's [sic] bat can provide more offence [sic] [?]"

Uh . . . do you really have to ask that question? LaRoche averages more HRs and RBIs per season than Morse has totaled in his entire career.

Morse is a throw-away item, as is Ankiel. LaRoche is an accomplished ML regular.

This hysteria over Morse reminds me of how crazy Nots fans were over Nyjer Morgan after his 2nd half performance in 2009. He doesn't look so good today, does he? Ditto with Morse. Three years from now, if he's lucky, he'll be clinging on to the last spot on the bench for some awful ballclub (maybe still the Nots).

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh ha ha Fairfax6...I see what you did there. They're the Nats, but you called them the "Nots" because they lose and are "awful". Ha ha ha. You are so clever.

Posted by: combedge | January 4, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

>>Note to Nats org - Stop Leaking and Start Paying.

Posted by: tgt111

You'll notice that the propoganda is almost identical in Ladson's column. 'Negotiations ongoing (i.e., no news)' - hang in there kids!! Maybe LaRoche is waiting desperately for another team to get involved in the bidding. To the surprise of no one.

Posted by: Brue | January 4, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Oh ha ha Fairfax6...I see what you did there. They're the Nats, but you called them the 'Nots' because they lose and are 'awful'. Ha ha ha. You are so clever."

Just to be clear, I call them the "Nots" as a contraction of "Notionals," since they are some idiot's notion of a major league team.

Care to argue that they aren't a pathetic excuse for a ML franchise? Perhaps the person whose notion they represent is you. Nothing in your post suggests otherwise. :-)

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Notionals, huh? So, I guess"Nots" isn't pronounced like "knots". Is it pronounced like "notes" or would it be more like "noashes" ( no a real word)

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Notionals, huh? So, I guess"Nots" isn't pronounced like "knots". Is it pronounced like "notes" or would it be more like "noashes" ( not a real word)

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The thought of Morse platooning anywhere in our lineup - with his base clogging speed and his lack of defensive range makes me shudder. He's a nice bat off the bench - nothing more.

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | January 4, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"The thought of Morse platooning anywhere in our lineup - with his base clogging speed and his lack of defensive range makes me shudder."

His range and base running were clearly better than Dunn and Willingham. His offense better than Willy Harris and Bernadina.

Next you'll be saying you'd rather see Matt Stairs ... sheesh.

Posted by: periculum | January 4, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Notionals, huh? So, I guess'Nots' isn't pronounced like 'knots'. Is it pronounced like 'notes' or would it be more like 'noashes' ( not a real word)"

Pronounce it as you like, the more important organ of discernment with this team is the nose, not the ears, as what you may assume to be the Potomac at low tide is in fact the denizens of Nots Landing attempting to play baseball.

Nice typing skills, BTW. And I think that last attempt to phonetically render the name should be either "knowshes" or "nohshes," but as I say, whatever you prefer, by whatever name or pronunciation, they stink.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"[Morse's] offense [was] better than Willy Harris . . . [.]"

That's like saying Captain Ahab was a better dancer than FDR.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Your column was crystal clear that it simply was your conjecture and not Nationals thinking. I think it would be a big mistake for the Nots to let LaRoche go. He is a quality Firstbaseman who will fill in nicely at 5 and improve the defense substantially. With Dunn and the Hammer gone and the Nots committed to see if Bernadina can be en everyday LF, it is a critical sign. Morse is better on the bench. Morgan is clearly not reliable after his mental meltdown last year;Ankiel was insurance in case he goes walkabout in 2011.

Posted by: wcfanman | January 4, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@[Un]Fairfax6:
Way to take a quote out of context.

Periculum did mention Bernadina, too, not just Willie Harris. Perhaps he would have done better to compare Morse's offense to Bernadina and Alberto Gonzales, and leave Willie Harris out of it.

I do hope that we don't see Mench, Maxwell or Harris on this year's team.

Posted by: bertbkatz | January 4, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, Morse's offense was better than that of Ivan Rodriguez as well. I think Morse is worth another look.

Posted by: bertbkatz | January 4, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bertbkatz | January 4, 2011 2:47 PM

The former attorney general? Well yeah, Morse looks great in comparison.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 4, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

bertbkatz:

You're taking that last comment of mine a lot more seriously than I did. And surely the ellipses in my quotation absolves me of any "taking out of context" charge. But if you want to be serious, look at who's being discussed -- Morse, Bernadina, Harris -- who cares if the first named is better than the other two? They're all inadequate. That's why the team is as bad as it is.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I love when idiots come on this board and run down a team that they obviously dislike. Get a life, people...Fairfax6..I'm looking at you. Ask your mom for your allowance so you can goo out and get the new MLB game so you can put your unmatched baseball acumen to work. Toolbox.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | January 4, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"No need to ask for forgiveness, but talk about hair-brained schemes: platoon at 1B! Which winning club has one of those working? "
----------------
Joe Maddon used Wily Aybar instead of Carlos Pena down the stretch in 2008, and also used a platoon in right that season (Kapler / Perez, I think, plus zobrist and others). Not first base, but Texas platooned Murphy and Borbon in the OF. Red Sox will rotate Cameron through CF, RF, and DH to rest Ellsbury, Drew, and Ortiz. Lot's of other example of platoons in the corners.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | January 4, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Naugatuck-Nats:

Well, now we know, the notion is yours. Your village is calling, they miss you.

:-)

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

D'oh...Sorry everyone. I broke the first rule..."Never engage an idiot"...Now he'll probably stay. My bad.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | January 4, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Naugatuck-Nats:

Do you have anything to say about the calibre of this ballclub? Any relevant point to make about it's pathetic record since moving to DC, it's idiotic personnel decisions, it's catering to out-of-town fans rather than an honest attempt to build a fan base? No.

The team you have is the term you deserve. Hope you're happy with it, because you're probably stuck with it for a long time.

Posted by: Fairfax6 | January 4, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax...

Yeah...I hope so.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | January 4, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Adam, with regards to yesterday's post, I thought that you made it perfectly clear that your assessment of the first base situation was your own analysis. I read it twice, not because it was unclear, but because it intrigued me. No need to apologize. In a way, I would love to see Morse play first base.

Posted by: scotthicks2 | January 4, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

In past seasons the Nationals spent $8M on Austin Kearns and $5M on Dmitri Young to do absolutely nothing.

Unless this guy is looking for $15M per season, let's get this done. Even if it's 2-3 years.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 4, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Adam - your post was fine. Food for thought in the dead of winter.

Seems to be some cabin fever going on. Spring training can't come soon enough.

Posted by: KenNat | January 4, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

The reason this is dragging on now is that LaRoche may have overestimated his value and is thus left with one suitor that he and his agent are hoping will, even in the absence of competition, overpay for his services. The Nationals may not feel the need to do that under the circumstances and are content to wait them out. On the other hand, LaRoche et al know that the Nats have overpaid before (Pudge, Werth), struck out a number of other times (Teixeira, Greinke), and are in desperate need of a true first baseman. So, by the same token, they may feel that the Nats need LaRoche at least as much as he needs them. It's a standoff at the moment and nothing is happening. But it should happen eventually.

(Do I need to say that the foregoing is pure speculation on my part -- informed speculation perhaps, but not based on any inside team sources? No, I don't, because I have not suggested anywhere that it is based on any such sources. The same holds true for AK's post yesterday, as most here seem to agree.)

Posted by: BobLHead | January 4, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best damn hitter I ever saw. Suit up.

Opening Day is Thursday, March 31.

Posted by: dcnationals1 | January 4, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coastallp74 | January 4, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

BobLHead -- who kows what is holding up a deal getting done, and while I think that your speculation is fair enough, it is just as likely that LaRoche is weighing offers from other clubs than him having overestimated his value and being left with only one suitor. Several clubs could use this guy. And he may see value in playing on a 1 year deal for a better club (or in a park more conducive to offense) nd hoping for more next year -- a la Pena and Lee.

Who knows. But, from my standpoint, the Nats need this guy at least as much as he needs them. A LH power bat for the club is a must-get. A proven MLB caliber talent as an every day regualr would go a long way on this roster of hopefuls. And Nats management needs another feather in the Phase 2 Cap.

Posted by: dfh21 | January 4, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Can Vladimir Guerrero play first base? He's a sure 100 RBI/ .300 hitter who will compete for any team that signs him. Give him 2 years since I guess we failed to give Derek Lee that.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | January 4, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

And Fairfax, you really add a lot to the site. So knowledgeable, it makes me cringe. Oh, by the way, the definition of irony--oh hell! forget it.

Posted by: jcampbell1 | January 4, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

>>I was a Senators fan before they moved to Texas. So naturally I became an Orioles fan. It's been hard for me to switch back to Nationals, but unlike the reporters who cover them. Grow up boys, and girls. You remind me of the Balitmorons who hate the Redskins. I just don't get it. If something noteworthy happens in the sport you cover wouldn't want to at least mention it? Or are you just that anal about the team around the corner. The Orioles signed Lee which is at least notworthy, but like a frog's ass in a pond, your asses are so tight you couldn't pull out a pen and make note of it. Get a life.

Posted by: coastallp74

Do you hear this, Pants? He's describing your fans. Sign somebody Pants!! Any-freakin-body!!! Go Pants Go Go Pants Go HURRY PANTS IT'S ALMOST PITCHERS AND CATCHERS!!!!!!! GIVE A TIGHT FROG'S ASS PANTS!!!!!!
It's ok - he just got rid of the equivalent of Frank Howard and Mike Epstein. When you're this bad, the players will cut themselves - you have to ADD!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Brue | January 4, 2011 6:32 PM | Report abuse

This is just a observation and question. The Nationals drafted Bryce Harper and quickly decided to make him a right fielder. The Nats have a stud in the minors Derrick Norris who like Bryce Harper was/is a catcher. Why can't he changed positions as well. If I remember correctly Jeff Bagwell and Joe Torre, Dale Murphy and Gary Carter were former catchers turned allstars and some HOFers.

Posted by: specialg7master | January 4, 2011 6:39 PM | Report abuse

>>Derrick Norris who like Bryce Harper was/is a catcher. Why can't he changed positions as well.

Posted by: specialg7master

Because he's 5'-9", overweight and injured. That's why you can't put him at 1B. But he can probably hit. Unitl he gets injured again. He ought to get a shot at making the team, I know he could do more damage than Gonzalez. A german shepherd could do better. 4 rbi's in 200 ABs????

Posted by: Brue | January 4, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we got Adam LaRoche. I like it!

Posted by: NatAlan | January 4, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse