Posted at 1:58 PM ET, 01/27/2011

Justin Maxwell designated for assignment

By Adam Kilgore

The Nationals today designated Justin Maxwell for assignment, potentially cutting ties with an Olney native and Maryland alum who could never harness his vast potential. The Nationals designated Maxwell in order to make room for reliever Todd Coffey, whose contract was approved by the league today, on the 40-man roster.

Maxwell, 27, was drafted in the fourth round out of Maryland in 2005. He was a gifted athlete and graceful outfielder, but he struggled to find playing time and consistency at the plate. He appeared in 122 games for the Nationals over the 2007, 2009 and 2010 seasons.

This year, Maxwell shuttled back and forth from Syracuse and played in 67 major league games. He went 15 for 104 (.144) with 25 walks and three home runs, including his third grand slam in the fourth bases-loaded at-bat of his career.

Maxwell, exceedingly well-liked among teammates, received an opportunity late in the season during center fielder Nyjer Morgan's suspension, but he injured his thumb and struggled to hit when he did play. His biggest bugaboo was striking out -- he has struck out 83 times in his career, 32 percent of his major-league plate appearances.

By Adam Kilgore  | January 27, 2011; 1:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bryce Harper ranked No. 3 prospect in baseball
Next: Report: Nationals a finalist for Justin Duchscherer

Comments

This comes at no surprise, but I was a big Justin Maxwell fan (still am). I saw a spectacular CF HR robber that simply blew me away at Nats Park.

Hopefully he can find a place with another team and work out his hitting issues. Thank you for yours services Justin and best of luck.

Shame we couldn't move him as a piece in a trade.

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | January 27, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfh21 | January 27, 2011 1:10 PM
-------------

Snap
Crackle
Pop!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, just another in a VERY LONG LIST of failed Natinal prospects.

The O's should sign him and I bet they'd turn him into a star.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

True. He'd probably be their token All-Star rep.

Posted by: pwilly | January 27, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Not to encourage Poopy or anything, in fact just the reverse, but he is generally correct. The O's have better manamgement in McPhail and Showalter, they have better talent in the bigs, they have better talent in the minors and they have a long storied baseball history (despite the long recent drought).
Posted by: dfh21 | January 27, 2011 1:10 PM
-------------

Snap
Crackle
Pop!
Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 2:06 PM"

Feeding the excrement again I see? Hmmm, well let's see ...

Keith Law a guy who has been accused of being somewhat biased AGAINST our Natinals (perhaps he just didn't like Bowden and his Segue?) ranked 3 Nationals players in his top 100. While the poor Ori-hole byrds only ranked two. Sadly, the Ori-hole Ripken cookies are in the same division as the Spankees, the BoSox but worst still the Tampa Bay Rays? How many did they rank in the top 100? EIGHT OUT of TEN Poopy! And wait! Their snap, crackle, pop front office gets to draft 11 out of the first 90 players this year. The rich get richer and the poor Pigeons of Excrement Field get poorer. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The O's have no chance, not now, not even in 2035 ... well maybe they have a chance to move to Vegas and have a fake Elvis as a mascot?

Oh, almost forgot to mention. Nats rank 19th organizational by Law. O's 24th Hahahahahahaha excrement field needs an upgrade?

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Nice young man, but over four years he could only produce strike outs and poor batting averages. Everytime they called him up, you would hope he'd matured and would really show us something. Sometimes they workout sometimes they don't. The Orioles will get him now and make him into a star because their management and coaching is so much better than the Nats? Good luck with that.

Posted by: northvajim2 | January 27, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thinking Ben "Goose" Goesling said it best:

"He was playing at Single-A Potomac at the end of 2007 when, in one of former general manager Jim Bowden's more curious moves, Maxwell was called up to the majors in September.
That put him on the 40-man roster earlier than he would have otherwise arrived there, and as his option years ticked away, Maxwell struggled to catch on. He missed most of 2008 with a broken wrist, and spent the last two seasons on a seemingly endless shuttle between Washington and Triple-A Syracuse."

Its not all on Maxwell, lay a lot of the blame on Segue riding Sideshow JimBo.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I liked J Max, particularly because he was a Terp but, he had his chances and he didn't produce at the plate. Hopefully, he can turn it around somewhere else.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 27, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Seems a fair number of us really wanted JMax to make it. But unless you're a pitcher, you have to hit, and not only when the bases are loaded.

So thanks for the grand slams, and best of luck.

Posted by: KenNat | January 27, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

J-Max is a great guy but sorry, no business playing in the majors.

Posted by: markfd | January 27, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/segue
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/segway

I guess even a 180 IQ has its limits...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Sec3 gets my vote for Post of the Day.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 27, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"I guess even a 180 IQ has its limits..."

Thank you for making my point for me. 'Rocket Scientists" probably make terrible talent evaluators.

There are too many on this site as it is.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Sec3 gets my vote for Post of the Day."

Coming from someone who's handle looks like an FPO/APO number, or an immigrant's SSN.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"Sec3 gets my vote for Post of the Day."

Understatement. Post of the Month. Thanks for the laugh, Sec3.

Loved Maxwell, but he just can't hit. Every tool except for contact.

Posted by: Section220 | January 27, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Great defensive player. Power hitter without any consistency except on strikeouts. I'm really sorry to see us lose Maxwell. I wish it worked out otherwise. He's a class act kind of guy.

Posted by: h20andoil | January 27, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry but I find it hard to give Sideshow JimBo credit even for riding a "Segway". Esp. now when we can all look back and see how he contributed to ruining J-Max's once promising career. And he was good with his "segue's". He liked to change the subject when things became uncomfortable ...

JMax is a good example to hold up of exactly how bad a GM can be to a franchise, using an individual who was considered a "wunderkind brainiac" when he was young. Me thinks Bowden always was and is a baseball idiot. Even if his online "Skype the Segue" show is enlightening at times, and Joy isn't hard on the eyes.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Who would you rather have Buck or Riggleman?

Posted by: mle916 | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I think we're getting a little cabin fever crazy in here. Let's all try to hang in there until camp opens.

Posted by: baltova1 | January 27, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Who would you rather have Buck or Riggleman?

Posted by: mle916 | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM
------------

Boom, there goes the dyanmite.

Laying the smack down.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

On the JMax DFA - It's the right move, albeit a little late imo. For a supposed 5-tool prospect, he proved to be about a 2 plus-tool player (can run, field, draw walks & hit for occaisional power). As he was a 'local' kid, I wanted the best for him; Hopefully, this is best for all parties.

Posted by: BinM | January 27, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Farewell to Justin Maxwell...a legend in his own mind.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | January 27, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The Orioles have a "long, storied baseball history?" Maybe in their own minds. The Orioles were relevant from about 1966 to 1984, less than 20 years. Before that they were mediocre in Bmore and downright awful in St. Louis. And, of course, the past 25 or so years the only thing they've had going for them is their ballpark. Storied history, give me a break...

Posted by: truke | January 27, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Take heart Nats' fans...as a Pirates' fan I've watched them over draft guys with top 5-10 picks almost annually the proceed to ruin them:

Brian Bullington
John Van Beschoten
Chad Hermansen
Jimmy Anderson

I could go on but then they'd have to hide all the sharp objects in my office...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | January 27, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Take heart Nats' fans...as a Pirates' fan I've watched them over draft guys with top 5-10 picks almost annually then proceed to ruin them:

Brian Bullington
John Van Beschoten
Chad Hermansen
Jimmy Anderson

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | January 27, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Umm, I think the Nats would take 18 straight MONTHS of relevance and be quite pleased at this point.

Who else has 20 years of high-performing history, total: Yanks? Dodgers (maybe)? Cards?

I wouldn't be scoffing at the Os history as a Sens/Nats fan, but that's just me.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | January 27, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1
==========================================

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 27, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"Thats it peric, stay in form & lash out at anyone who questions your assumptions / logic; Nice job, shows a real level of maturity & social development."

See pot calling the kettle black @BinM.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Who knows Maxwell could be the Orioles next Mike Morse? 29 years old and finally staying in the majors?

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I'd take 18 innings of relevance (btw, the Senators were also called the Nats, not the Sens), however, even Cleveland and the original Senators franchise have better lifetime winning percentages. You can look it up.

Posted by: truke | January 27, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough. No one argued that the Sens/Nats don't have a long, storied history: someone simply argued that the Os did not.

That would be you, truke.

(As for the Sens-Senators-Nats, I'll cop to only being 36, and as for distinguishing the two eras of DC baseball, Sens/Nats works.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | January 27, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, Veeck had plenty of great stories from the Browns days.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"Who would you rather have Buck or Riggleman?"

Not sure I'd want either, but perhaps Poopy wins that one.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

>>Word. At this rate, by January 31, we'll be arguing over which prospect has the hottest-looking wife...

Posted by: gilbertbp

We do that all the time on BPG. There doesn't seem to be much to talk about baseball-wise at this point. Any discussion of this team would have to include a number of rationalizations.

Posted by: Brue | January 27, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Given his recent surgery he may well clear waivers; I wouldn't be surprised to see him land in Syracuse. His problem is that Corey Brown may take his job there, so he gets no guarantees.

And as long as he keeps justifying the moniker Justin "Quest for Contact" Maxwell, he's not going to get playing time at the MLB level. And regular at bats is what he needs to get better. So long, Justin, here's hoping you find your way to have your performance match your potential.

Posted by: JCCfromDC | January 27, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

>>BPG = ballparkguys. I'd forgotten about that. And all the other stuff now makes sense.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa

*sobbing quietly in the corner over the fate of NJ*

Posted by: Brue | January 27, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

BPG - The dark heart of negativity and cynicism when it comes to the Nats and Mike Rizzo. Kind of like @brue?

Nothing Rizzo does is right, if he doesn't make a certain move he is damned to everlasting torment in the Dante's lowest ring of the inferno.

Seems a bit dysfunctional?

Given the marked improvement that Keith Law (a pretty well known baseball cynic in his own right ... ) observed when ranking the Nats 19th. Sue Dinem isn't exactly nice when it comes to Nats prospects who are in the low minors over 25 that he has to put up with in Potomac. Given the prospects appearing in Potomac 2011 he appears to be reasonably happy with the improvements such as they are?

Is it enough? Go ask Rizzo, he said himself that he is never satisfied.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

*so*
It so ruins it when it gets spelled wrong...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

>I wasn't judging, I was just sayin, it explains a great deal. You're si sensitive. Lighten up, Francis.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa

I've been called the opposite. I think I like you. My place or yours?

Posted by: Brue | January 27, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing that Maxwell is not going anywhere -- I think that the guy accepts the minor league assignment. I can't see him thinking he has a better chance in another organization -- this one keeps at least bringing him to the bigs -- and the Nats are not likely to have a trade partner for the guy. He's back in Cuse come the spring I would suspect. We'll see.

Posted by: dfh21 | January 27, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, of course you've been called insensitive, but you know better And of course you like me. But you haven't earned it. Be clever; we'll talk.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see Max go. As a perpetual believer that swings can be cured, I wish him the best of luck and a new coach. I've always thought that if anyone could get him to shorten up his swing, he could be a real impact hitter.

As to managers, sorry, but I'll go with Riggs over Show. With someone like Showalter and/or Billy Martin, the shelf life is very short. As soon as either they hit a bad streak (and that club is anything but an all star group, to say nothing of being in the AL East), the manager will lose them. Happens every time.

@truke...haven't thought of it, that way. For a sport with over 150 years of history, that is a pretty mediocre run.

@BD651...Oooohhh, I hadn't actually processed that. It would certainly make one ill.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | January 27, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

As much as I 'd like to see a fellow Terp do well, I think JMax needs a change to prosper, if he can prosper in MLB.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, but interesting: Adam Kennedy reportedly arrested for DUI

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | January 27, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

And this:

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | January 27, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Catcher, may we assume Uncle Lou is also in that managerial group?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 27, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

@Sec3...Oh, Yeahhhhh!

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | January 27, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

See pot calling the kettle black @BinM.

Posted by: periculum

This is either truly hilarious or truly delusional. Not sure which. BinM points out peric's immaturity, and peric responds in a manner that is, well, immature!
BinM lashing out? Never that I can recollect. Have any examples peric?

Posted by: Sunderland | January 27, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm currently reading Moneyball, and JMax seems exactly like a Billy Beane type of player. Perfect baseball body, should be a stud, but never lived up to his potential.

Posted by: twinbrook | January 27, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully his light bulb will go off...and he'll go to NYC to audition for a soap opera.

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | January 27, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

" Have any examples peric?"

Just specific to me? Sure enough. And he knows that quite well. Which is why he didn't respond. He is trying to be be the kinder gentler @BinM. As I am ....

In any case do you really want me to dredge up the past or are you jus trying to be aggravating and delusional @sunderland?

Best to let sleeping dogs lie. In BinM's (not just him but others) they only go so far with their research ... whether its fangraphs or whatever ... I keep going ... why?

Not the silly 180 IQ which I agree hoc est ridiculum, no, its a mark, an avatar, a deep intuition.

So, I'll go out farther on a limb than anyone else ever has on a Nats website. My intuition (beyond any real logic) tells me that Rizzo was the right choice at the right time. I am sitting here happy as a clam knowing that the Nats will be annually competitive and in a world series sooner than most suspect. Its going to happen sooner rather than later ...

sorry sour puss negative dudes that's just the way it will be? And that my i suspect constitutes that higher IQ. But you know what? I don't think I'm the only one ... ~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 2:49 AM | Report abuse

>But you haven't earned it. Be clever; we'll talk.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa

Lol changed my mind - I'll stick with the Harm City skank. They don't put conditions on everything. You can't get it anywhere, you don't have to listen to it too.

Posted by: Brue | January 28, 2011 7:04 AM | Report abuse

>>Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 2:49 AM

METH

Posted by: Brue | January 28, 2011 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Who would you rather have Buck or Riggleman?

Posted by: mle916 | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM
------------

Boom, there goes the dyanmite.

Laying the smack down.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey Poopy,

I know we shouldn't recognize this jack___
but just wanted to ask him if he knew why Nats outdrew the Os by over 95,000 last year. Is it because you put such a lousy product on the field or because the whole city hates the owner or because Baltimore fans never suppor there team (see att. nos. since DC got a team) Such a wonderful organization. You should be proud (if you had a brain). It must be frustrating following a team with such a proud past and now so very far into the toilet.Do you miss John Miller, Davey J and every other good thing Petey chased away?But then you would have have to have an IQ over 40 to understand any of this. You fit in very well with the classless town you love.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore doesn't support its sports teams very well. When the Colts were winners Memorial Stadium was rarely full. They famously failed to sell out a playoff game in 1975.

Orioles sellouts were in large part due to Montgomery County and VA baseball fans that now are watching the Nationals and not going to Camden Yards anymore.

The Nationals' major league roster in the field is actually one that has a lot of upside.

An open spot in CF for Bryce Harper but other than that there are either solid veterans or prospects with talent readying for opening day.

If healthy, Strasburg and Zimmermann are better than their Orioles' counterparts in terms of projected major league career potential.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 28, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Lord have mercy. The petty personal bickering going on here (silly 180 IQ attacks?)makes this comments page virtually unreadable.

Can't the Post make an exception to its "no editing" policy and start screening the posts to just this one blog? Please?

Posted by: Snopes1 | January 28, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

JMax is a sad story but the team did the right thing by DFAing him.

He was essentially handed the RF job last year when they released Dukes and blew the opportunity. He's shown no indication of being able to hit at the Major League level.

Posted by: Meridian1 | January 28, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree snopes. Getting to the point when I read AKs article - which are great - and get mad at myself for reading the comments section and wasting my time. Too bad because there is some good Nats talk here.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 28, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Snopes1,

Like I said yesterday, this blog, at least the comments section, is a shadow of its former self.

And that's a damn shame.

I miss insight from former regulars like Section506, BobLHead, JayBee, etc. but, the self-important knuckleheads and trolls seem to have driven them away. I guess I'm just too stupid and stubborn to follow them out of here myself.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 28, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Farewell to Justin Maxwell...a legend in his own mind.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | January 27, 2011 4:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you see yourself as a pr!ck, but you are one.

Posted by: fischy | January 28, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I hope that J-Max stays in the organization. Yeah, ti's getting late in the game, but if he ever figures things out at the plate......

Posted by: fischy | January 28, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"METH
Posted by: Brue | January 28, 2011"
--------^^^^--------------

CRANK and VALLIUM an almost suicidal combo given the unbelievable negativity.

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

and @section-eight or 500203 whatever?

all those folks post on natsinsider regularly.

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love jealous Natinal fans taking shots at the O's via their attendance.

Well here's my question, If DC is such a big supporter of baseball why is the city on its THIRD team?

Also, if DC has so much support for the Natinals and baseball how come, with a fancy, brand, new stadium the Natinals can't even sell it out nightly (unless the Phillies or Orioles are playing there)? It took years before Camden Yards stopped selling out and one would figure with all the "support" DC has for baseball the Natinals, with their new stadium and "exciting" players, would be the hottest ticket in town. Yet that's not the case, wonder why?

Not that anyone will have the courage to answer the questions posed above but just thought I'd put 'em out there, kinda food for thought deal.

Oh snap!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

You know why OPCY stopped selling out night after night? Because Washington fans quit going up there, that's why. And it started happening even before baseball returned to DC in 2005. Now even Baltimore fans are heeding the words of Yogi Berra. Nobody goes to OPCY any more, it's too crowded. Not. They just don't go. And yet the Orioles are raising their ticket prices in 2011. Go figure.

Posted by: FeelWood | January 28, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love jealous Natinal fans taking shots at the O's via their attendance.

Oh snap!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay lame brain here are your answers and I'll write slowly so maybe you'll have a chance to understand: 1.DC is on it's third team because the first two were owned by bad owners like the one in Balt. The reason it took years for Camden to stop selling out is because DC fans were outnumbering Balt fans. That's why Angelos tried to stop DC baseball. DUH! If this is too complicated for you, ask your mommy to explain it.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love jealous Natinal fans taking shots at the O's via their attendance.

Oh snap!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love jealous Natinal fans taking shots at the O's via their attendance.

Oh snap!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Snopes1 | January 28, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse Snopes1,

And that's a damn shame.

Sorry Rizzo wannabes. Believe it or not your insights aren't affecting any decisions the Nats are making. So just skip over the posts you don't like and suck it up. Such snobbery.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Yet no one is answering the question as to why their beloved Natinals can't sell out their new stadium, what with beeing in DC only like 5/6 years?

C'mon lets see those answers. Oh that's what I thought.....

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"C'mon lets see those answers. Oh that's what I thought....."

Viva Las Vegas and the Vegas Vivas! Wonder what color the O's new uni's will be when they move?

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why I'm getting involved in this but...

I'm a Baltimore native and longtime Orioles fan who, after a series of moves, ended up in Northern Virginia, and adopted the Nats when they arrived (after basically giving up on the O's during the Angelos/Lee Mazzilli years). So I have more than a little knowledge of both franchises' history.

First, why don't the Nats sell out? How many teams sell out their stadiums? How is that a relevant question? Frankly, give how bad the team has been, the Nats' attendance has been acceptable. Just like the Orioles' attendance. If anything, the O's attendance is worse because fans have really given up. Maybe Showalter will bring some back.

Baltimore has a history of supporting one franchise very well and the other one not as much. The Colts owned the town from 1953 to about 1972. Things were in flux from '72 to 1979 and then the Orioles took over and owned the town until the mid-90's. (BTW, there was no home playoff game in '75. The Colts were home against the Steelers in '76 and the Raiders in '77. Don't remember if those games sold out; don't think the '77 game did)

The Ravens came and now are the top dogs. That's yet another reason why the Orioles will be challenged to become successful again: it's doubtful they'll see significant gains in attendance and without a lot of money, they'll always struggle with the Yankees and Red Sox. Since the Rays and Blue Jays both have good organizations right now with lots of talent, it's an uphill climb for the Orioles. They could improve a lot and not see a dramatic improvement in their record.

The Nationals clearly have an edge financially: a better market with more fans with lots of money. That's why the Lerners have been slammed by so many people, because they haven't taken advantage of it. Things may be different now. We probably won't see any payoff in attendance this year but 2012 should be different.

Finally, who give a flying frack about the O's vs. the Nats. It's pointless. Yes, I know the history of Angelos fighting to keep a team out of DC, but Jack Kent Cooke did the same thing in the NFL and nobody in Baltimore cares about the Skins now. Never did.

For the love of God, can we move on from this? Poop, if that's all you've got to contribute, go away.

Posted by: baltova1 | January 28, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | January 28, 2011 1:52 PM
--------------

And please don't fall back on the tired excuse of "Fans never know if the Natinals are on MASN or MASN2" response, since it's a pretty pathetic excuse, if an excuse at all.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

C'mon lets see those answers. Oh that's what I thought.....

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Wow this is harder than I thought, but here goes.
Braves (playoff team): Stadium Capacity 50,000 average attendance 30,000.
Rangers (world series participant) Capacity: 50,000. Ave Attend. 30.000; Rays 36K/23K Balt: Capacity 49,000, Avg attend 21,000.
See Dopey, even playoff teams don't sell out every game. Plus you probably haven't heard but we've been in a pretty bad recession.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"If the Natinals have more fans than how come the Orioles out draw the Natinals in the DC/Metrao area, in terms of tv ratings?"

@baltova, is right poopy and this is really subjective! So, do you think the Orioles outdrew the Nats TV ratings when Strasburg pitched? Do you? C'mon ...

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Notice I don't see the Natinals stadium capacity/attendance figures.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHA, how many games did he pitch in 2010?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Nice duck, dodge, dive, dip, and dodge.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"And, hahahahahahahahhahaaha, laughing at the statement about who draws more when Strasburg pitched."

And pretty much every single game was nationally televised. How many O's games were nationally televised?

The only team in the area that can "crow" about attendance is the Redskins who have been sold-out for decades. Which, as we all saw doesn't mean those ticket holders will show up to watch a poorly run and managed product.

Let's compare the Redskins to the Ravens, O's etc? Shall we?

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

We were doing so well ignoring the troll for a while. It's really, really, really not hard, folks.

Posted by: Section220 | January 28, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

>>Shall we?

Posted by: periculum

Crank? No thank.

Posted by: Brue | January 28, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Notice I don't see the Natinals stadium capacity/attendance figures.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHA, how many games did he pitch in 2010?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Nice duck, dodge, dive, dip, and dodge.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------
Anyone know why the Wizards/Bullets left Bmore? Why Charm City Never had an NHL team? Poopy, I'll scalp you some tix to sold out Verizon Center Caps.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

>>Sorry Rizzo wannabes. Believe it or not your insights aren't affecting any decisions the Nats are making.

Posted by: bosco3

I hate it when you're right. That's why they're in last place. Suck on it and like it bosco.

Posted by: Brue | January 28, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | January 28, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Very well said. I'm just trying to flush this vermin off our site. He does the same thing on the Skins site. I appreciate and welcome your adoption of the Nats, but me being a Senator's fan from the mid '50s growing up, I've got a special aversion to this kind of Baltimoron.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the memories Jmax. Favorite Maxwell Moments.
Last Home game in 2009 when Justin Maxwell hits a homerun, might have been a grand slam, to have the Nats win in a walk off.

He also made an amazing catch in CF of Potomac where he scaled the wall and was 3 feet over the fence to make the catch in CF. One of the best catches I've ever seen short of Kenny Lofton robbing an Oriole in Jacobs field back in the 90's (that play was voted play of the year)

Good luck to you J Max. Hopefully you sign a minor league deal with the Nats someday.

Posted by: PNatsFan | January 28, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

C'mon bosco, we can all get along, can't we?

(Well, most of us anyway, with a couple of exceptions)

Posted by: baltova1 | January 28, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

>>I'm a Baltimore native.
For the love of God

Posted by: baltova1

I wouldn't say that too loud. I've been up here 4 years and I'm about to go on a spree. Still better than NoVa though. You can get away with damn near anything up here. Cheap livin baybee!

Posted by: Brue | January 28, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Notice I don't see the Natinals stadium capacity/attendance figures.Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P ---------
================================
Wash Avg 22,569
Bal 21,395

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

hope he clears waivers and accepts an assignment to syracuse. call me crazy but i wouldn't mind giving JMax one more chance to put it all together.

peri - thanks for the interesting tidbit about capt. leatherpants putting JMax on the 40 man at least one or two years too early. just when we thought we'd eradicated all of our jimbo bugaboos, another cockroach scurries out from under the wall.

Posted by: DCPowerGator | January 28, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, it might just be time for JMax to move on from the Nationals orginization; He's still a quality AAA-level player, but has slipped on the depth-charts to #3-4 in LF, #5-6 in CF, or #4-5 in RF as a preferred option, imo.

As some on this & other blogs have noted, he may have been damaged by JimBow's "over-hype, over-promote" program (as were Detwiler & Balester, at the very least), but Maxwell couldn't stay healthy for a long enough stretch to make the final adjustments to MLB speeds.

I wish him well (as he is a local kid), but it's just time for both parties to move on.

Posted by: BinM | January 28, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I get it, the O's have bad attendance because they stink, Angelos prevented DC from getting a team for 40000 years and drove away fans to the Nats when they got here, Baltimore is a dump, etc., etc.

But the reason that DC has terrible attendance is because of the recession. That's it no other factors.

Cause we all know the Natinals put such a winning product on the field, play in the most beautiful cities in the world (gotta love North/Southeast), and don't have fans of the Phils, Mets, O's who pack their stadium. Nope none of those factors either.......

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse
_____________________________________

Poopy, I'm sorry, I thought I was dealing with a rational person, but after reading your latest post, I recommend you get professional help. My two year old granddaughter could assemble more intelligible comments.I have no idea what you were trying to say. God Bless.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 28, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@Sunderland: Thanks for the moral support earlier in the string, but sorry you got caught in the backlash.

Truth is, I've called out peric/aeoliano/etc on NJ-NI-MASN-NP & other blogs on numerous occaisions since 2005; Sometimes for being too quick to embrace the next 'new, shiny' thing, sometimes for his arrogant approach to others on the blog, and still others for just putting forward what I felt were wrong-headed ideas. If I offended him, it was usually not my intent, but yes, we have butted heads before.

Posted by: BinM | January 28, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

@bosco: McP jumps into WaPo sports blogs simply to bust chops on the regulars - He's driven a few off to other venues, but he's basically a non-sensical pain.

My best advice is to let anything he posts slide without a response; God knows it's hard sometimes, but I'm trying to adopt that approach.

Posted by: BinM | January 28, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I just pooped in my toilet. The poo resembled the Natinals 2011 roster.

Yikes!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 28, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes for being too quick to embrace the next 'new, shiny' thing,"

Kind of like well Mike Morse? I think I was first to notice him in Syracuse after Rizzo picked him up for Langerhans. Of course for my part I had to realize the guy wasn't going to play 2nd base in the majors ... seems like he is best suited to first base but Mike Rizzo had other ideas. He isn't exactly "new". Nor was Chief's ace JD Martin.

"New" might be Gorzelanny who I think will be in the top 2 spots in the 2011 rotation along with JZimmnn. Ladson thinks they are sending their highest K/9 starter (who also happens to be left-handed) to the bullpen! (Remember JZimmnn has had less than a year in the majors). Ladson thinks Maya makes the rotation at #5? Unless he has a stellar spring I suspect he goes to Syracuse now ... awaiting the Jason Marquis trade. I do think Maya ends up in the rotation sooner rather than later. But he might have a stellar spring?

They have too many pitchers similar to Marquis, Lannan and Livo as it is. Thinking some of the innings eaters will have to go in favor of power pitchers? JD Martin is gone now ... Martis DFA'ed. Atilano looks next ...

Posted by: periculum | January 28, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

That's it. I'm done with this infantile blog. I'll continue to follow the team and enjoy the Post's coverage, but I have no desire to read this infantile mess again.

Posted by: fischy | January 29, 2011 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | January 29, 2011 12:07 AM
=====

hahahahahahaha.

Don't worry buddy, I'll still see ya over on Soccer Insider. Go DCU.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 29, 2011 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy
==========================================
This is what happens when you feed the troll. People who want to read something intelligent gets disgusted and go away, leaving behind only the troll and his feeders.

Guy sets up a crack house in your neighborhood and instead of doing anything to get rid of him, you move away. Soon the entire neighborhood is nothing but crackheads.

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 29, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, I've clicked the "report abuse" button on the above and recommended the troll be banned. If more people would do the same Every. Single. Time. he posts, instead of responding, WaPo might take some action.

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 29, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 29, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

=========================================

Great idea. I just reported 3 of his(her) posts.

Posted by: bosco3 | January 29, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Report Abuse is a black hole. You guys know that. right?

Posted by: nunof1 | January 29, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Report Abuse is a black hole. You guys know that. right?

Posted by: nunof1
=========================================
What got his previous incarnations of his infantile name banned, then?

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 29, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Nationals Journal: Come for the timely, accurate information. Stay for the sparkling conversation.

Seriously, how sad is it if your life is so worthless that you spend all of your waking moments trolling a sports blog -- a blog dedicated to a perennial last-place team, no less? That just takes a special kind of pathetic.

Oh, and good move DFAing Maxwell. Nice guy. I hope someone else takes a shot and brings him in to spring training. But both he and the Nats needed to move on.

Posted by: js_edit | January 29, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Doing nothing is even less rewarding than doing something that might not work. Take a few seconds to report it, and move on.

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 29, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@gilbertp: I think nunof1's point is that you block him for a few days at most, then he bounces back under another handle & ramps up the irritation factor another notch.

Granted, he's crass, juvenile, and a lot of other things as well - Ignore him or try to block him, he's still going to be in the corner, acting out to get somebody's attention.

Posted by: BinM | January 29, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I sent AK an email also, in case he wasn't aware someone is crapping all over his blog.

BinM, I know he uses a new handle when he gets banned, but if there was some way WaPo could be alerted each time ("Hey, WaPo, 'P00PY_MCP00P' is the same person you recently banned as 'POOPY_MCPOOP,' with zeroes replacing the letter O...")...

If we can't persuade WaPo to police its own neighborhood, so to speak, then the crackheads will drive all the normal people out.

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 29, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Poopy is a Redskins fan that's for sure. He doesn't do this on RI and if he did he would get drowned out pretty quickly. Talk about a pathetic, utterly doomed to last place finishes franchise? One with an owner (who isn't "cheap" by any means) who might be the worst in the NFL were it not for Al Davis and that other fool in Dallas.

The Ravens fans are utterly gleeful watching the Skins fans writhe as they watch the incompetence. I don't understand how Poopy could ever be a B-more and Redskins fan. Its utterly and completely sad.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Natinals sign anymore AAAA-fodder today?

hahaha

Oh, and giggling like a schoolgirl at you jokers crying about reporting abuse, emailing WaPo, etc. Hahahahhaha

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 29, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

You guys actually think this troll has been banned before? He probably just forgot the fake e-mail he was using to log in and created another one. (You all aren't using your real e-mail addresses to log in here, are you? If so, the troll is right. You really ARE losers.)

Posted by: nunof1 | January 29, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

" If so, the troll is right. You really ARE losers.)"

So speaks the troll who would be McPoop had he the imagination for it ...

My emails are real. Why hide? Been a part of the Internet so very long ... well back then everything was system high, no one really cared. Took WaPo forever to even figure out what it really was ...

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Just like it'll take forever for the Natinals to figure out how to win more than 60 games a year.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 29, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Feel the rhythm!
Feel the rhyme!
Get on up, its bobsled time!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 29, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

periculum, I trust you've enjoyed the many miles of spam you've received from giving the Post your real e-mail address. My imagination tells me you crave the attention.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 29, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

nunof1, WaPo has my real email also, but I get insignificant amounts of spam.

Posted by: gilbertbp | January 29, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

-----

Sounds like we need Charles Bronson...(or at the very least a new post...c'mon, Adam, make something up, if you have to, this one smells like a trash can that hasn't been emptied all week)

Posted by: baltova1 | January 29, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the blog appears to reflect the current state of almost worldwide unrest ... although it seems focused in the Middle East, nevertheless fueled by the Internet and social media outlets.

C'mon Mike Rizzo we need another pitcher ... pull that trigger baybee!

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"The rich get richer and the poor Pigeons of Excrement Field get poorer. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha."

Periculum, How OLD are you? That is disgusting!

Posted by: break20 | January 30, 2011 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Nationals are rumored to have a one year offer on the table for Duchsherer. Duch seems reluctant to sign with the Orioles but might have to. Mariners are also in the hunt.

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 30, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it'll be yet another nice pick up for the O's. Will go nicely when Vlad signs too.

But the Natinals still got, um......they still got........

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 30, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

After we get worked out which franchise is more of a powerhouse, Washington or Baltimore, I'd like us all to address "Where would you rather live, Kyrgyzstan or Belarus, and which would you rather have, hives or shingles." Anybody who doesn't say Belarus and shingles is a moron.

Posted by: markfromark | January 30, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@ markfromark:

You forgot "shot or suppository?"

Posted by: TimDz | January 30, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

mark, that was really good....

Posted by: Sunderland | January 30, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse