Posted at 12:52 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

As spring training closes in, a look at the roster

By Adam Kilgore

space coast stadium.jpg
There is probably still some snow piled up in some corners of Nationals Park, and pitchers and catchers don't report until next week. But make no mistake: With the conclusion of the Super Bowl, it's unofficially baseball season. Get the sunflower seeds ready.

As of now, the Nationals will be choosing their 25-man opening day roster from 61 players in their big league camp. Some of the decisions are obvious. Others will be sorted out in Viera as February turns to March and winter turns to spring.

Chances are, there will be some minor additions this week. Below is what the Nationals have now for now, listed in alphabetical order by position and cataloged by their chances to make the opening day roster - D for Definite, P for Probably, M for Maybe and N for Not likely.

There are obviously judgment calls here. In my estimation, there are 19 definites, leaving six spots open for some degree of competition: backup catcher, fifth starter, two bullpens spots, utility infielder and fifth outfielder.

There were even decisions in how to categorize players. Michael Morse can play first and third, but for these purposes he's listed under only left field, the position he seems most likely to contribute at this year. There will be five or so players capable of playing third base, but on this list Ryan Zimmerman is the only player listed. You could put Jerry Hairston almost anywhere, but he's second base here. You get the idea.

So, now, here's the list:

CATCHER (6) (1 D, 2 M, 3 N)
Jesus Flores (M)
Carlos Maldonado (N)
Derek Norris (N)
Wilson Ramos (P)
Ivan Rodriguez (D)
Jhonatan Solano (N)

FIRST BASE (4) (1 D, 3 N)
Michael Aubrey (N)
Kevin Barker (N)
Adam LaRoche (D)
Chris Marrero (N)

SECOND BASE (4) (2 D, 2 M)
Alex Cora (M)
Danny Espinosa (D)
Alberto Gonzalez (M)
Jerry Hairston (D)

SHORTSTOP (2) (1 D, 1 N)
Brian Bixler (N)
Ian Desmond (D)

THIRD BASE (1) (1 D)
Ryan Zimmerman (D)

LEFT FIELD (4) (2 D, 1 P, 1 N)
Rick Ankiel (D)
Roger Bernadina (P)
Michael Morse (D)
Laynce Nix (N)

CENTER FIELD (3) (1 D, 2 N)
Nyjer Morgan (D)
Corey Brown (N)
Jonathan Van Every (N)

RIGHT FIELD (4) (1 D, 1 M, 2 N)
Jeff Frazier (N)
Bryce Harper (N)
Matt Stairs (M)
Jayson Werth (D)

STARTING PITCHER (15) (4 D, 1 P, 3 M, 7 N)
Luis Atilano (N)
Brian Broderick (N)
Matt Chico (N)
Ross Detwiler (M)
Tom Gorzelanny (P)
Livan Hernandez (D)
John Lannan (D)
Jason Marquis (D)
J.D. Martin (N)
Shairon Martis (N)
Yunesky Maya (M)
Garrett Mock (N)
Stephen Strasburg (N - INJ.)
Chien-Ming Wang (M)
Jordan Zimmermann (D)

RELIEF PITCHER (18) (5 D, 1 P, 5 M, 7 N)
Collin Balester (M)
Doug Slaten (P)
Craig Stammen (M)
Drew Storen (D)
Josh Wilkie (N)
Tim Wood (N)

By Adam Kilgore  | February 7, 2011; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals sign three to minor league deals, invite four to spring training
Next: Long toss: Worth waiting for?

Comments

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | February 7, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Natinals fans. I really do. I mean, it's February 7 and by March 7 Natinal fans will already realize their 2011 Natinals won't be competitive at all. Another wasted season.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 7, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Zuckerman wrote this very same post last week while you WaPo guys were busy re-purposing lame reader comments as content. Yet somehow he managed to avoid glaring mistakes like this one:

"CATCHER (6) (1 D, 2 M, 3 N)
Jesus Flores (M)
Carlos Maldonado (N)
Derek Norris (N)
Wilson Ramos (P)
Ivan Rodriguez (D)
Jhonatan Solano (N)"

Shouldn't that be 1 D, 1 M, 1 P, 3 N? Or are P and M really the same thing?

Oh wait. You guys just screwed it up so you couldn't be accused of plagiarism, right? Either that, or you're looking to throw some softballs at your understaffed corrections department. I suppose we should be grateful that it's not more repurposed reader garbage, eh?

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

It's "unofficially" baseball season, because to any Washington sports fan with a grain of sense, it's still "officially" hockey season. I won't pay a bit of attention to the Nats until April and they won't have my undivided attention until the Caps break my heart again in the playoffs.

Posted by: jburksva | February 7, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to remember how the Jason Bergmann story ended: Is he still in the Nats organization?

Posted by: mvm2 | February 7, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I would suggest you can add Gorzelanny as a "definite" to be in the starting rotation.

Posted by: slopitchtom | February 7, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Agree. I don't see any way that Gorzelanny doesn't make the starting five. But what happens if CMW or Maya look great out of the gate? It would be a nice problem to have.

Posted by: js_edit | February 7, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Jason Bergmann signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox. I guess he's positioning himself to move right in once they can Papelbon.

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

(Reposted from previous thread...)

You know what I like to do?

I like to take a block of text and run it through one of those online auto-translators. The results are often amusing.

For example, I just ran natsfan's Greek above through the Babelfish translator. Here's how it came out:

I consider villain for natinals fans. I I am really. I mean, 7 February and March of 7 internal sports fans already they will have realised in 2011 natinals it does not want she is competitive in all. An other lost season. c"? MON on interior fans. Gonna does dominate mlb, and o and is Peter '? [Aggelo] I will behind welcome you as sports fans with open embraces.

Extracted from: p00py_mcp00p | February 7, 2011 12:59 m. m.

The REALLY funny thing is, this makes more sense than the original. Go figure...

"I will behind welcome you..." Yeah, that sounds about right...

Posted by: gilbertbp | February 7, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina as probably was fascinating to me. I assume that the thinking behind that designation would be remaining option??? Or perhaps a trade. I guess they can't all be definate, but I had assumed he was pretty darn close to definate - perhaps even more so than Morgan or Ankiel.

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 7, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

>>Bernadina as probably was fascinating to me. Posted by: natbiscuits

2nd that. Thought he was a D fo show. A trade would be great. Maybe gaze toward Cleveland. They're in complete disarray-- and I'm talkin bout their baseball team.
All they did this entire offseason was sign Manny's loverboy Austin K--Again. Maybe they'll give up Carmona. They obviously don't want payroll.
And we need a REAL starting pitcher--BAD!!

Posted by: dovelevine | February 7, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

When I look at the roster there are two names on there I have real doubts about from the start, one is Nyjer Morgan in CF.

The other is Garrett Mock.

I don't think Mock will be in the organization that much longer and Morgan is a 31 year old who has failed to prove he can hit left handed pitching.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 7, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm pulling hard for Flores,and hoping for a miracle where Martis is concerned,and what's the deal with Bernadina? I think Gonzalez is going to make this team i've always liked him and he's performed well when called upon, other than that it will be interesting to see how Riggleman and McCatty handle this year's pitching staff with no Strasberg JZimm is defacto ace of this staff.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 7, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the typo's rushing to get da hell out of the office!!

Posted by: dargregmag | February 7, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Ok, this violates my usual rule against feeding the troll but....

"C'mon over Natinal fans. O's are gonna dominate MLB, and the O's and Peter Angelos will welcome you back as fans with open arms"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*gasp for air*

*reads it again*

"O's are gonna dominate MLB"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*cough*

Look man, I'm no O's hater...but if you believed that when you typed it, you aren't just a troll...you, my "friend" are downright delusional.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | February 7, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Dear Poopy,
I'll rush to Peter Angelos' open arms just as soon as I can extricate myself from the loving embrace of Dan Snyder. I feel dirty.

Posted by: trebor0012 | February 7, 2011 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Imjustlikemusiq: What are some good spots around Viera if I decided to make the trek down there with some buddies to check out some Spring baseball?
============================================
Last year I stayed in Melbourne Beach (Doubletree Suites). Government rate was under $100/night for an oceanfront suite. Sweet! It's about 20 minute drive to the ballpark in Viera.

Posted by: luv2bikva | February 8, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

it's telling that most, if not all, of the guys recently waived off the 40 man roster were not claimed by any other teams (e.g., martis, martin, chico, mock).

that tells you how bad the last 5-8 names on our 40 man roster were. however, each time this happens, the roster gets strengthened incrementally. as a bonus, the nats pick up the "familiar face" at no cost to send to syracuse, where the player likely belonged in the first place.

Posted by: DCPowerGator | February 8, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Poopy: I moved to Baltimore from NY, as a Skins fan, seven years ago expecting the Ravens to be my second team. I had no idea the vitriol Ravens fans have for the Skins and I lost all interest in the Ravens. In fact, I enjoy watching them lose now...sad and stupid, but true. My word of advice: if you are sincere about converting Nationals fans into Os fans, do not begin the conversation by insulting the Nats. You will drive a wedge where you mean to strike an interest.

Posted by: longbow1 | February 8, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I would like a story on Kevin Barker, a 13 year minor league veteran -- what does he think of his career, what motivates him, what part of his game is he working on.

Posted by: dwillett1 | February 8, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If Bernadina's not traded - the every day OF will end up being Morse LF, Bernadina CF, Werth RF - or Bernadina LF, Werth CF, Morse RF - about a month into the season.

They will trade either Cora or Alberto Gonzales.

Lannan, Marquis, Maya, and Mock might all be trade possibilities. Would hate to see Lannan or Marquis go - both are ripe for a good year.

Posted by: AsstGM | February 8, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse