Posted at 11:55 AM ET, 02/ 9/2011

Long toss: Are the owners treating fans well?

By Washington Post editors

In Tracee Hamilton's First Things First online Q&A this morning, one chatter wondered if the Nationals' owners are exhibiting the same blind eye toward public relations that Redskins owner Dan Snyder has recently.

PR and ticket sales - mis-reading or greed?
"... I can buy and have bought single game tickets to Orioles games for the coming season. The Nats aren't selling single game tickets yet. They're still trying to force fans into season ticket plans. I think this a basic mis-read of how they should gain revenue. Treating fans well is the best way to gain their loyalty and then their money. Forcing fans into little boxes does not foster loyalty. The O's owner hasn't been a model of wonderfulness (is that a word?), but the Lerners don't seem to learn from his mistakes. They should open ticket sales to single games now. This would let me create my own "season ticket plan," and they'd get more of my money. Instead they're making me wait, and giving me the time to cool off. I see this as destructive. Why do they persist?

How do you feel about the season ticket situation? Do you consider it "Snydery"?

By Washington Post editors  | February 9, 2011; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hector Taveras suspended, Alex Cintron signed
Next: Long toss: Winners or losers?

Comments

The same Orioles who raised ticket prices this season?

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

They are going to start single game tickets sales at the same time as the fanfest which is...March 30?!

Actually, they usually start ticket sales in early March which is way too late. If I were the Nats, I would sell single game tickets starting no later than mid-January. Given how few STHs they are bound to have for the near future, they really ought to make them available before Christmas.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | February 9, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Until the last 15-20 years, and the wave of new, smaller stadiums, baseball ticket sales were not primarily on a season-ticket or even partial-season.

In most cities, a relative handful of seats would be sold on a season basis, mostly to corporations, and the rest sold on a single game basis in a combination of advance sale (including group sales) and day-of-game sale.

Much advertising/marketing, such as it was, was oriented to day-of-game sales, such as the "Baseball To-day" placards one sees on old pictures of streetcars in Washington, and the "Baseball Today: Polo Grounds" subway ad that inspired Frank Norworth, who'd never been to a game, to write "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

Why am I going into all this history? Because the Lerners need to understand that, unless there is a threat of selling out the park on a regular basis (which was a feature during the early years of many of the new ballparks, including Camden Yards), or unless the team is likely to contend for a playoff spot, there is little or no incentive for average fans to lock themselves into season or partial season plans.

I go to more games per year than many partial-season-ticket holders, but I pick when I will go, often on the spur of the moment, based on weather, etc.

This is the traditional model of baseball economics and there are signs that, as the novelty has worn off the new ballpark craze, baseball is reverting to this traditional model.

So I suggest the Lerners recognize that my money is just as good as a multi-game-plan holder, even if they don't get it up front, and that they stop behaving as though their only "real" customers are season ticket holders. They need to build this franchise, one fan at a time.

By all means, give the season ticket holders extra perks -- you should take good care of your best customers. But recognize that individual game purchasers are more than mere afterthoughts. Many of them are your most devoted fans, and ultimately give you more money than the multi-game-plan folks.

Posted by: Meridian1 | February 9, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

My first reaction was that it is still early February - relax. But there are other things to be more concerned about regarding ownership.

It's not that they are cheap, callous, or greedy. It is that they are a passive, reactionary, and inept. Passive in that they do not aggressively pursue marketing, advertising, and customer activation. Reactionary in that they waited too long to begin adding star-level talent and now must react by spending more (not less) to get what they can, and inept in marketing, community relations, ballpark experience, and minor league player development.

My theory is that they will eventually react to obvious signs that they are inept in all those areas, but they will do so later than they should and it will cost them millions in lost revenues, will cost them years getting to competitiveness, and it may ultimately cost the elder Lerner the opportunity to see the full fruits of his investment.

I don't know whether it is a lack of passion or simply a business philosophy that might not be right for this industry. But it feels more like a lack of passion and urgency, than a lack of business accumen.

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 9, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Meridian1 is a highly skilled player of Internet!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | February 9, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget how the Lerners misled the public last season on Strasburg so they could pocket a bundle. They leaked supposed dates, then waited for those dates to sell out before saying that Strasburg wouldn't be pitching on those days.
Yea exactly.

Posted by: dovelevine | February 9, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I've decided to forego my O's season tickets and purchase season tickets to the Nationals. I'm tired of trying to dream up new angles from which to complain about the Nationals. I've decided that, in reality, they're better run, have more exciting players, and a better chance for success in the near future.
To all that I have offended and annoyed over the past months, I apologize.

Go Nats.

Posted by: P00PY__MCP00P | February 9, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It seems the Lerners are damned if they do and damned if they don't. In years past they opened up single game ticket sales early; those tickets were snatched up by brokers who then sold them to Phillie fans, Yankee fans, Cub fans and others, rendering us visitors in our own ballpark. So this year they hold back, giving the local fan a chance to block the idiots from Philly from filling our seats. And they get bashed for that too. I've been a half-season STH for 6 years now and I think the organization has made great strides in fan appreciation. Last year's Red Carpet Reward program was superb; there are now STH-only entrances at the gates. And the on-field product continues to improve. I give the Lerners credit for improving as owners even as the entire organization has improved.

Posted by: outsider6 | February 9, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha, laughing at Kev29 for trying to take a shot at the Orioles since they raised their ticket prices.

Well you know what, they also raised their payroll by about $20 million. When was the last time the Natinals made a commitment to winning by raising their payroll 25-30% in one season? Yeah that's what I thought.

Plus, the O's remodeled OPACY to give their fans a nice restaurant/seating area out in left-field. What do the Natinals have? Videogames to keep the young kids and older fans who are bored by the Natinals busy.

Haters gonna hate.

O's will have the last laugh during 2011 when they show the DC-Metro area (which watches the O's more than the Natinals) just how much farther along the team from Baltimore is, in terms of competing, than the team from dumpsville, I mean DC.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 9, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The person who wrote into Hamilton's chat this morning is an idiot. "They should open ticket sales to single games now. This would let me create my own "season ticket plan," and they'd get more of my money." Obviously this person is not paying attention, because the Nats have had a "build your own mini-plan" option on the table for several weeks now. Why hasn't this person taken advantage of it? If they're smart enough to be able to discover that they won't be able to drop all their money into single-game tickets quite yet, they should be smart enough to find out about the mini-plans that they could be buying RIGHT NOW. I found out about them, and I wasn't even looking! And hey, if this person can't stand to hold onto that money for another couple of weeks - for something they won't be able to redeem for several more MONTHS - then they should give me a call and I'll gladly take it off their hands.

It's amazing what people complain about. So they're a HUGE Nats fan, but they can't buy single game tickets yet. Big deal. Neither can anybody else. It's not like they're selling them to Braves fans or Phillies fans instead. Geez. And if they want to be able to "save the date", there's nothing stopping them from doing that. It's not like those games are going to be sold out any time soon, or at all. Get a grip, people.

Posted by: FeelWood | February 9, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@dovelevine: That's a crock. There was rampant speculation in the media about Strasburg's debut based on his throwing schedule but the organization was very clear that they weren't going to rush him. The put out numerous statements telling fans not to buy tickets based on the wild guesses of the so-called experts... Anyone who bought game tickets based on "possible" debut dates was just a moron. The Lerners aren't responsible for that kind of stupidity.

Posted by: outsider6 | February 9, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

Boy, you know you've made it when some Natinals fan recreates your own posting handle and simply adds an extra underscore to the name.

Kudos sir/madam, good job.

Of course, no one's gonna try to copy that posters original, "real" post name.

Odds that the fake poopy is that perirulum clown.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 9, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Looking through each and every MLB teams websites just now, and I found that only 8 of the 30 teams are allowing individual game tickets to be purchased (OAK, STL, SF, BAL, PITT, BOS, COL and CWS). Does that mean that the other 22 teams are being "destructive"?

Posted by: erocks33 | February 9, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that last rant. My mom made me clean my room, and I'm like, "Mom, I'm 46, stop making me clean my room!" And because I yelled, she wont let me go outside for a week.
So in my anger, I dreamed up some more faulty logic and took it out on you all. I promise it will be my last rant. I apologize.

Go Nats.

Posted by: P00PY__MCP00P | February 9, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

>>Looking through each and every MLB teams websites just now....

Really? You got that much time?

Posted by: dovelevine | February 9, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

meridian1, couldn't have said it better meself.

There are countless examples of businesses, and MLB clubs, doing things that are consumer-unfriendly, in order to attempt to maximize revenue.

The Nats are one of these businesses. So is essentially every other major sports team.

Posted by: Sunderland | February 9, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It is intensely frustrating how long I have to wait to buy Nats tickets, both regular season and ST. I live in Baltimore, so I'm not about to shell out good money on a season ticket package I may not get to use.

I don't see why tickets can't go on sale in January or even December. Having me wait longer won't get me to buy a ticket package.

I want to spend money on your business...why won't you let me do that?!

It just seems like the ticketing/PR office goes into hibernation from October through February and then it behind everyone else come March. NatsFest and the Winter Caravan are good examples of that.

Posted by: kungpow9960 | February 9, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean that the other 22 teams are being "destructive"?

Posted by: erocks33 | February 9, 2011 12:49 PM

Also being destructive -- the Hagerstown Suns. I want my opening day tickets! But you have to buy an Opening Day "HEY BRYCE HARPER IS GOING TO BE HERE!" Mini-plan.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, I have no idea why people want to buy individual game tickets so far in advance. It actually costs more money. I have a partial season ticket plan, but outside of those games my individual ticket routine is as follows -- walk to Park, buy $5 ticket at window with no fees, stand in centerfield, drink beer and enjoy.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

>>Looking through each and every MLB teams websites just now....

Really? You got that much time?

Posted by: dovelevine | February 9, 2011 12:57 PM
------------------------------------------

You could easily do that in much less time than people spend making baseless and uninformed complaints about Nats ownership.

Posted by: FeelWood | February 9, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the Nats have improved in the area of ticketing. I started getting calls the last two offseasons in early-mid January about renewing my season ticket plan. Prior to 2010, not so much.

I told the ticket rep the same thing as last year though. If Mr. Lerner is not going to spend money on the team, neither am I.

I will go to about 5 games a year but, until Uncle Teddy starts taking some cash out of his mattress to put together a legit ML roster, I'm not signing up for a 4 seat, 20 gamer.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 9, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

There are people who still want to buy tickets to the Natinals?

Man, what's in the water in DC these days?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 9, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

A number of posts address Opening Day, but I suggest there is a distinction worth drawing between general single-game sales and sales for Opening Day.

I have no objection to the team holding back Opening Day tickets for season ticket holders, or to reasonable steps being taken to prevent them from being sold to out-of-towners through ticket brokers.

What irritated people so much last year was (1) Stan Kasten personally hawking them to Philly fans, (2) GROUP sales of tickets, apparently in large blocks, to Phila tour operators, and (3) the unavailability of extra OD tickets for season ticket holders because they'd all been sold to Philly fans.

None of that should ever happen, and by encouraging the team to recognize the loyalty of those of us who buy tickets a game at a time, I'm certainly not advocating a repeat of last year's OD embarrassment (and, BTW, I was there).

Posted by: Meridian1 | February 9, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Professional sports have always been a business. But in the last 10 years, the business has completely overshadowed the sports.

I am a Caps fan. I give Leonsis credit for investing in the team and creating a great franchise.

But it is getting harder and harder to see and enjoy the game through the clutter of advertisements and sponsorships.

At the last game I attended, against the Canadians last week, the moment I walked into the "Verizon" Center (after paying nearly $70 per ticket) I was immediately accosted by yelling reps from Dunkin Donuts, Papa Johns, Volkswagon and other rabid sales pepople thrusting flyers into my hands; telling me to SIGN UP NOW!!!" Highly annoying

Every inch of the "Verizon" Center is covered in advertising and sponsorship. Every aspect of the game is sponsored by someone: "This penalty kill was brought to you by Geico!" It is to the point of parody. And it is highly annoying.

Ted is not the worst. We all know who that is. The Littlest Price has brought the con of eeking out every cent from a sporting event to a fine art.

Owners:give us fans a break, please. We love the sport and we love our teams. We are fans, not revenue marks.

Posted by: Andymann | February 9, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I also think single game tickets should aready be on sale. I just don't get it, I don't think many season ticket packages are sold between January and March anyway. When the Nationals had their fanfest last year in January, I thought they misssed a golden opporunity not selling single game tickets there. I remember the days when I lived in NJ and we would take a treck over to Shea in the offseason and pick out 5 to 10 games and lock ore tickets in. The Nats are missing out - penny wise and pound foolish.

I had the latest of this years Fanfest, it reaks of cheap - the place is already up and running and the players are already in town rather than having to be flown in.

I'm out.

Posted by: tcostant | February 9, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Here is my issue, it is just too expensive for the product on the field. I go to roughly 15 games per year. Many of them "unplanned" but go due to weather, starting pitchers, other team in town, and need for a MLB baseball fix.

Several times I have gone and the $10 tickets are gone as are the next cheapest $17 tickets are "gone", even though nobody appears to be in those seats. I arrive roughly an hour early and hardly anybody is at the game. It is my opinion the nats stop selling the top rows of 222-236 in order to get more of your money at the ticket window. $22 for an outfield seat is too much for this team, especially with a family of 5 ($110).

I know the Orioles raised prices but $17 a seat to sit in the Eutaw St Bleacher and the upper section of 336 (behind home plate) is more reasonable for my family of 5. The sightlines are better and there are better restaurants in the Inner Harbor (Phillips). I just feel like the Nats are charging Yankees prices for a Pirates product.

You'll continue to see me in Potomac, where the product is great for the price. My kids love the unlimited Bounce house passes, the all you can eat Buffet Wed. Nights, $1 admission and Hot Dogs on Monday, and Fireworks. More importantly my wife would rather go to a Potomac game because it's easy to get in, get your food, sit, keep the kids happy and relax... It's a no brainer. She even bought me and my friend a Potomac Nationals ticket package for Christmas. Happy Wife = Happy me.

Posted by: PNatsFan | February 9, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Let the Lerner's do what they've got to do. Tickets are still being sold. Right! Come on this is a non-topic. I've worked long enough to know price is set by supply and demand. Black and white. So you can either buy when you can buy or watch on TV or listen to the radio or do nothing. We don't live in Cuba or China people. This is a market economy. All hail dollars making sense. CHA CHING!!
Hear that! That's another dollar made to be spent by the Lerners. They are spending and will spend in the future to make an even better ball team. CHA CHING!! Again

Posted by: Berndaddy | February 9, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Odds that the fake poopy is that perirulum clown."

My god what a friggin' a??clown Poopy is. Dude I can't wait for a new ownership group to buy the friggin' Orioles and move them to Vegas. And in your heart-of-hearts you know its true ... the O's will move. The Nats are here to stay. Why? First, because the Lerners (who are too often denigrated here) are the wealthiest owners in major league baseball. They aren't the dunces who took up with Madoff, they aren't sheister lawyers who made their living by being "good fellas" with the mayor of Baltimore William Donald Schaefer. AND? Gee Poopy they are TRUE LOCALS! They built and developed the Wheaton Plaza back IN THE FIFTIES!!! I'll take them and their "learning curve" over that numbskull Angelo's in a heartbeat. And we both know in the end the Lerners will win and Angel'hose bag will LOSE!!!

But no, it wasn't me knuckle head? There are others here that you actually disturb ... I'm just here to laugh and twist the knife as your delusional predictions become smoke on the polluted waters of the Innuh Harbuh.

Posted by: periculum | February 9, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The discussion could have ended with this statement. Spot on, biscuits.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 9, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The message here should be simple. "just win baby" and the rest will take care of itself. Al Davis isn't the best example of a good owner ... then and even less so now but the quote seems apropos.

Posted by: periculum | February 9, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"It's not that they are cheap, callous, or greedy. It is that they are a passive, reactionary, and inept."

These are the people who invented the Mall concept? I beg to demur. I suspect they are cautious, a tendency to look before they leap, they prefer selecting and hiring people they can put their full trust in ... but doing that requires the time and patience to observe whether they are making progress ... doing it the right way.

Baseball is very different from commercial real-estate development. These are people who prefer starting on the ground floor, understanding every aspect of the business, and working their way up. JW Marriott started with the Hot Shoppes'. The Lerners with apartment buildings and early shopping plazas then Malls. SS Kresge becomes K-Mart. Lots of folks have fallen by the wayside and lost their fortunes ... it hasn't happened to the Lerner's yet.

Hiring Rizzo and allowing him to hire the people for the FO was a huge step. Stan is gone now ... perhaps they will be able to look to other parts of the business ... including the bizzarre Poopy McPoop TV/media deal with Angel'hose.

Posted by: periculum | February 9, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I can't figure out what's the big deal about buying single game tickets right now. I'm glad the Nationals are trying to get season tickets sold first before opening sales to single games. Anything that fills the stadium with Nats' fans rather than Phillies' or Mets' fans is a plus. I've been in a group sharing season tickets since '05; the Red Carpet program is terrific.

Posted by: Natsgal | February 9, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The "fake" Poopy had me going there for a while. Glad it was'nt so. As one who misses "O's Exec", Poopy provides zest to this blog and like O's Exec (if Poop is not one and the saye) he will go away.

As someone who followed a blogger's advice in April (FJB, Half Street Blues, NAT Enquirer, I forgot) and picked the right day and sat in the Diamond Club Section (Reward Points) to the Jesus mow them down, I have not complaints. Certainly NATS Management had nothing to do with me picking the date. Plenty of time in early March to buy single game tickets. If you want go to Opening Day, BUY A PLAN!!

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | February 9, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"The discussion could have ended with this statement. Spot on, biscuits."

Wrong. The discussion never should have started in the first place. Stupid Post. Try generating your own content instead of rehashing the arguments of idiot commenters.

Posted by: FeelWood | February 9, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the Lerner's are the same people that ran "Lerner's" speciality shop's for women, in DC and the surrounding surburban area and yes they are cautious to a fault that is why they have gazillions. I'm not sure of the Braves single game ticket sales here in the A-T-L but i know they are offering, buy 3 get 1 free in terms of their season ticket plans.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 9, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@pnats:

I've complained about the same thing....On many occasions I've tried to walk up and buy same-day tickets near gametime, only to be told that the cheapest seat available is $17 (or worse) even though if I look just a bit to the left I'm staring directly at multiple sections of $10 seats that are completely empty. Either they're going to brokers or the Nats are involved in some serious fraud. Anyone else have this feeling or should I take off the tinfoil hat for a while? Anything we can do?

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | February 9, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Ho-hum. A non-story. So, how many other clubs are offering single games sales already? Not many, I'll bet. Sheesh, it's Feb 9th.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | February 9, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Taking a look a the Nats schedule on MLB.com, only St. Louis and Bhawlmuher are selling single game tickets right now.

So what exactly is the problem here?

Posted by: CapsNut | February 9, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, adhardwick, me and O's_Exec are best buddies. We talk all the time, seriously

Hahahahhahhahahahha.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 9, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Cheapseats: I have experienced the same.

When in DC, I like to buy a $10 ticket for single games, and watch from standing locations. On several occasions I've been told the $10 sections are sold out. I'm more a supporter than a complainer (I buy a partial plan every year), but I am suspicious of the "sold out" line on nights when it is just not credible.

Posted by: KenNat | February 9, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

more often than not, the majority of the $10 seat holders don't sit in their seats during the game. They are either at the Red Porch area or sit in one of the many available empty seats throughout the stadium. So it is possible that there are no more $10 tix to purchase that close to gametime and why you don't see too many fannies in those sections.

Posted by: erocks33 | February 9, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this but you can buy a single game ticket for almost anywhere in Camden Yards for less that $50 that includes sitting behind home plate and yet the Nats are willing to have empty seats behind home plate every night but Opening Day because they overcharge for seats in the lower bowl but especially the seats with President's club access. They were actually reasonable at RFK.

Posted by: markfd | February 9, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

^

Yet another example of how the Orioles outclass the Natinals yet again.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 9, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"As for pericululuumm, I think it's funny he talks about the O's moving, when it's DC that is on its THIRD team in less than 50 years."

And, except for a very brief hiatus most all in the seventies ... the O's are still just a AAA franchise ... just like they used to be fifty years ago ... Hahahahahahahahahaha ... who's moving? who's selling? Who ended up with the Cleveland Browns and the St. Louis Browns? Who saw the Bullets move to DC and become Pollen's Whizzards? Who has no hockey team? Pro soccer team?

'bout all one can say about Ballimer is that it truly is a LAX town first and foremost. Baseball is an after thought and the only reason the Ravens are popular is because they win almost every year ... Hahahahaahaaha fair weather B-more fans don't attend games DC fans do ... which is why the O's WILL MOVE once the Nats start winning ... Hahahahahahahaahahahahaahahaahah what a marooooooon!

Posted by: periculum | February 9, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

The Os are now on 98Rock, which means that they'll have a better radio signal in DC than the Nats do. The Lerner family being awarded the Nats is the worst thing to happen to DC since baseball left 40 years ago. The old man only cares about dying with enough money to buy an eternity's worth of iced teas in hell.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 9, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

98Rock? That's so yesterday? I watch every game I'm not at on my iPhone. And I ain't young? Two words: OLD SCHOOL.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2011 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I have been a season ticket holder since day 1. And the Nats have not been good at STH relations. They took me for granted for years -- years when I was spending something north of $22K on 4 full season tickets and parking.

The points program thing is a joke -- just make the ticket packages more affordable, forget the dog and pony stuff. There is no reason that this lack luster club with a bottom rung payroll should be charging top level ticket prices. The Fanfest and Caravan stuff have always been weak. The club has not been aggressive with community outreach. Radio and TV have both had their problems. Improvements in services at the park have been very slow (they still run out of every food item they sell if there happens to be a sell out -- it does not take the Harvard Business School elite to plan to have more hot dogs on hand when Strasburg starts).

They have really not performed very well on or off the field. At least when they lose games on the field they can say that the other club actually played well enough to beat them, but when they drop the ball in terms of building their own fan base and brining those fans to the park they have no one to blame. They simply need to do muuch better.

Posted by: dfh21 | February 10, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Watson1 | February 10, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I have been to ball games in both New York Stadiums, old and new; Philadelphia, both Chicago teams, and of course Baltimore and Nats Park. I go with my son and grandson, and must say that the Nats and Nats Park are easily the most fan friendly. That is why Grandson has a great time every trip to Nats Park. The Nats have lacked quallity on the field, which they hope to remedy, but they treat the fans right, IMO

Posted by: nickgoldblatt | February 10, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfh21

So, how much did they get you for this season? C'mon, you can tell us! It's an IQ test. If you need something to spend your money on, you can send some to the overseas hair-lip baby ads they're pimping here on site. Save the kids, dfh21. Save the kids quality of life!!!!!!

Posted by: Brue | February 10, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Incorrect. The Phillies fan sales were group sales targeted at tour operators, bars, etc. in Philly, before individual tickets were on sale, which was the whole problem. I agree they've been inept, hope they may be recognizing the error of their ways, either because that's the right thing or because they're losing money.

Posted by: markfromark | February 10, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It's interesting to me that people will jump up and say "it's a business and the Lerner's are entitled to run it the way they want." Sure, but the customer's get a vote, too. If you think they're doing a great job, fine, but based on their attendance figures, a lot of people disagree. "You should be happy with what the owners give you because they're really rich" is not a business plan that is likely to succeed. Plus who identifies with billionaires? Marie Antoinette fans.

Posted by: markfromark | February 10, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

>>Let's see. The Post creates this platform, allows trolls, whiners, and malcontents to spout off ceaselessly, and then reports on the dissatisfaction they are promoting? Perfect. There is no journalism or any serious discussion here, why not just shut this embarrassment of a blog down?

Posted by: Watson1

Whiner.

Posted by: Brue | February 10, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Go Nats!

Posted by: P00PY__MCP00P | February 10, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

>I agree Brue. I, for one, have decided to stop whining on this blog and to instead start celebrating Nationals baseball. I've got my opening day ticket to spring training against the Mets, AND my mom let me wear my favorite pair of Underoos today. Life is good!

Go Nats!

Posted by: P00PY__MCP00P

This makes me wish I was mentally handicapped. They seem so much happier.

Posted by: Brue | February 10, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

This makes me wish I was mentally handicapped.
Posted by: Brue | February 10, 2011 11:46 AM

Funny, I always thought you were. What IS your problem, then?

Posted by: FeelWood | February 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse