Posted at 12:15 PM ET, 02/25/2011

Long toss: Stairs or Bernadina?

By Washington Post editors

Adam Kilgore wrote a nice piece about pinch-hitter Matt Stairs for today's newspaper. And this morning he blogged about Roger Bernadina.

Commenter rnkorby posed an interesting roster question:

I understand Matt Stairs' value as a pinch hitter and asset in the clubhouse, but are the Nats really thinking about keeping him on the 25 man roster and not Bernadina? Why keep a guy who can do one thing, for another who can do a lot of things. Stairs sounds more valuable at this point as a special hitting assistant, while Bernadina is a major league ballplayer.

What do you think? If you had to pick between Stairs and Bernadina, who would you choose, and why?

By Washington Post editors  | February 25, 2011; 12:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is Roger Bernadina a lock to make the Nationals?
Next: Ross Detwiler's new mechanics

Comments

Come on now---we haven't even played the first game of Spring Training yet. Let people earn their spots.

Posted by: ramgut | February 25, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

We don't need someone to be clutch during our playoff run. We're working on getting there. Let's go with Bernadina.

Posted by: MrBlahBlah | February 25, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Bernadina, any day, if I had to choose. Bernadina has an upside. However, we need to score runs, badly. I don't think this year's team, as it stands now, is going to be able to do that, despite "The Post's" baseball writers being excited about this year's team. Maybe Harper, when and if he gets makes the team, this year can give us the lift, in runs, we need, so badly. But I think, actually, we downgraded, as far as scoring runs, and we were really hurting, in scoring runs, last year. I'm reluctant, for the first year the Nats have been here, to buy any tickets, at all. In previous years, I've bought bunches of tickets, by now. I guess I'm tired of paying Major League prices to watch minor league play and a dead-last team, year after year, which doesn't improve but seems, to me, to get worse.

Posted by: LuvDCArea | February 25, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Bernadina over the one trick pony.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 25, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the other side ...

Bernadina brings the same skillset as Ankiel, hasn't exactly torn up the majors OR the minors, and - unlike Ankiel - has an option remaining. If Ankiel is as bad as his critics suggest, he can be DFA'd midseason (his deal is relatively small) and we get a younger replacement in Bernadina.

Stairs, on the other hand, possesses the limited but valuable skill of being a competent to top-notch lefty pinch-hitter. After years of watching the Nats send the equivalent of white flags to the plate late in winnable games, that's a skill I'd like to see on the bench.

Of course, I only choose Stairs over Bernadina if I have to choose ... there's still lots of spring training left and events may dictate that they both end up on the roster. Here's hoping that happens without a catastrophic injury to someone else currently ticketed to head north with the big club in late March.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | February 25, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The only reason you send Bernadina down is if you feel he will benefit from consistent ABs in the minors and you don't feel he'll get enough ABs with the big club. Who's to say that Bernadina isn't a quality pinch hitter himself? Matt Stairs may have been a great pinch hitter once but the last two years he's been pretty bad except for the occasional long ball. Bernadina just offers so much more IMO.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 25, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Heyman just tweeted this: Phillies have asked nationals about OF michael morse, a righty hitter with power

---

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | February 25, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Would be ironic if the Phillies traded for Morse and he turned into Werth 2.0.

Somebody (or several somebodies) in the Nats' organization clearly doesn't like Morse so don't be surprised if this trade is made. I could see Joe Blanton coming from the other side.

Posted by: swanni | February 25, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

It should be both Stairs and Bernadina. Also, Ankiel, Ramos, Hairston and Morris. The choice should be only among Stairs, Cora, and Gonzalez. I would choose Stairs of those three--maybe Gonzalez.

Posted by: jcampbell1 | February 25, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Make that Morse.

Posted by: jcampbell1 | February 25, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

As much as I would like to have Stairs coming off the bench late in a game to threaten a game changing home run... I would have to go with Bernie... he has a much deeper skill set and more upside at this point in his career... his contributions will be more significant then a guy who gets 3-4 ABs a week at most... he can pinch hit, too, and pinch run, play defense anywhere in the OF, in other words, a pretty solid 4th OF type...

And, think about it, how often will Stairs really get the chance to come in and change a game with a homer... and then, when he does, the other team brings in their lefty relief specialist and Stairs is out of the game without even seeing a pitch...

Essentially, carrying Stairs would be a luxury that would be nice if we could afford it (i.e. if we had 3 established OFs playing LF/CF/RF every single day)... but we don't have that luxury...

Posted by: Ghost7 | February 25, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina can do more than just hit so BERNADINA.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 25, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Any1 who has read this blog knows I'm the biggest Michael Morse fan around here. That said, as some1 pointed out, the powers that be on the Nats, for whatever reason, do not like this guy. And so he never gets playing time. So if the Nats can get back a pitcher for him, go for it. I'll be rooting for the Mike wherever he lands. Dude can ball.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | February 25, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Just to be stubborn ...

Given the way the roster is set up this year, there shouldn't be as many PH opportunities given that the starting 9 will tend to be the best fielders too (one of the few good things about losing Dunn) ... when they arise, though, they will likely be higher leverage situations. In those situations I like having Stairs on the bench - either because he is likely to get a hit or because he will make the other team burn a pitcher.

Again, though, I'm OK with carrying Bernadina and Stairs over just about anyone else except a backup catcher. Not really feeling Cora/Gonzalez/Hairston though I understand why we need at least one.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | February 25, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina by far - rather than a formerly effective PH guy who no other team was interested in (wonder why?) - Bernie should be opening day CF w/ Morse in left and Ankiel as number 4 OF spot. Stairs is only valuable to a contender in specialized situations -that ain't us at this time. Don't deal Morse unless it really improves our starting pitching.

Posted by: artguydtd | February 25, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Morse for Blanton could blow up in our face. They would want more for Blanton than Morse even though Morse has a much better up side. Blanton is a journeyman who's been passed around the majors for years. He's a guy who would be a Nat for a year or so, then move on. In Phillie, Morse might be given the chance to prove himself the .300/20hr hitter he probaby is, and we will live to regret the trade in our own division.

Posted by: JamesFan2 | February 25, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diogenes_quixote

LMAO!! Nicely put

Posted by: MaxnDC | February 25, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Gee skins_fan_22, I believe I was touting
Morse while you were screaming for a beast
like Haynesworth for the Skins? I was ridiculed
for showing that his AAA numbers were in
lockstep with Jason Heyward's in AA and
clamoring for the Nats to bring him up and
play him ... while all around me all I
heard on this blog was that he was just
another AAAA player.

Unless you did that you aren't even close
when it comes to being Morse's top fan.

Morse is the real deal offensively, it's whether
the Nats feel he is 'fragile' when it comes to
162 games and whether he can play decent
defense while putting up those numbers. Many
now feel he is , some prefer developing Bernadina
to see where that leads and they appear to
want more left handed bats.

In the end I believe Morse and his bat will
prevail ...

Posted by: periculum | February 25, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

contending teams can use a 43 year old pinch hitting specialist.

building teams need to keep the 26 year old with the broad skill sets and hope he can bring it all together.

that being said, i was impressed with what i read in adam's article. let's keep stairs as a hitting instructor!

Posted by: DCPowerGator | February 26, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

You have to go with "The Shark!" Bernadina has so much more upside. Additionally, Bernadina hit the same number of homeruns that Stairs did in the past 2 years COMBINED. Yes, Stairs has a lot of pinch hit homers in his career, but is it worth taking up a spot on the 25 man roster for someone who's gonna get 150 or so ABs, bat under .250 hit maybe 5 homers? I don't think so. The Shark has the talent to succeed. I love the "facts" about him at

Posted by: terrycalcium | February 26, 2011 11:25 PM | Report abuse

You have to go with "The Shark!" Bernadina has so much more upside. Additionally, Bernadina hit the same number of homeruns last year that Stairs did in the past 2 years COMBINED. Yes, Stairs has a lot of pinch hit homers in his career, but is it worth taking up a spot on the 25 man roster for someone who's gonna get 150 or so ABs, bat under .230 hit maybe 5 homers? I don't think so. The Shark has the talent to succeed. I love the "facts" about him at

Posted by: terrycalcium | February 26, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to keep Stairs as he is great in the clubhouse.(I played against him in tournaments as a 15 year old and he's a good guy)But,pinch hitters of his ilk are not really what a building team needs.To even think about moving/demoting Bernadina is ridiculous.He is EXACTLY they type of player Washington is looking for,athletic,fast,and can play defense.Those new biceps of his tell me to expect more extra base hits as well.Play both Morse at first to spell LaRoche against lefties.Get Morse in left also when you can,but Bernadina must play almost full time to develop.I'd say LaRoche should be the odd man out eventually or Nyjer Morgan.Certainly not Bernadina or Morse.LaRoche was signed as a safety net/short gap solution and he may not be needed much after all.

Posted by: ydor | March 2, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse