Posted at 2:40 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Long toss: Worth waiting for?

By Washington Post editors

Last week the Nationals started finalizing their spring training roster.

Reader Crashdavis commented:
Matt Antonelli signing is getting no love anywhere. Guy was a top 50 prospect a couple of years ago until injuries hit. Think his signing is going under the radar. Like to see him make a push to make the team.

BinM responded:
Antonelli is in the same situation as Flores, and a few others in the Orginization imo - Prove he's healthy first, then move forward. He'll initially report to the 'back fields' in minor-league camp, but hope springs eternal when you have a contract.

What do you think?

By Washington Post editors  | February 7, 2011; 2:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: As spring training closes in, a look at the roster
Next: More on the Nationals in the Dominican Republic

Comments

It's never a good sign when you have to announce your own signing ... Antonelli likely isn't going anywhere near a major league roster this year. Not saying he doesn't have talent, just saying it's not enough...

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 7, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

What do I think, you ask? I think the Post should quit repurposing reader comments and passing them off as its own journalism. It was unseemly when you used to do it in the print edition, and it's every bit as unseemly online.

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

You know what else I think? This blog's comment-submitting mechanism is seriously effed up.

Posted by: FeelWood | February 7, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Mr. Kilgore highlighting insightful commenter posts, considering NOTHING ELSE IS REALLY GOING ON UNTIL PLAYERS TRICKLE INTO CAMP OR A TRADE HAPPENS. Also, Mr. Kilgore clearly credits the posters for bringing up the issues, and is not passing this off as his own "journalism." Finally, I point out that no one is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to read or open content.

With regard to the topic, I too was intrigued by the Antonelli acquisition. This is another low-cost move that could have an upside in that any player who ends up worth 1 or 2 WAR is worth millions, and probably cancels out the $1-2 mil spent on the warm bodies who don't pan out.

Posted by: saxguy007 | February 7, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I think I've been repurposed.

Posted by: BinM | February 7, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate the long toss posts. And BTW, I judge from the bylines that it may not be AK who is posting them but rather another member of the editorial staff. Either way, keep it up. Let's rail against some other injustice instead such as the weather or the recently broken antiquities of King Tut.

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 7, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

You know what I think about the Blog reusing peoples posts to spur discussion?

I think it shows that the WaPo does read all the posts and they have NO PROBLEM with anything that anyone is saying.

That includes people who may point out the deficiencies of the Natinals, their franchise and their fanbase.

Of course, if some posters had their way the only people who would be allowed to post here are Natinal fans who think everything is sunshine and lollipop in Natinal-land.

Oh snap.

Plus, the Orioles will be at least 20 games better than the Natinals.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 7, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, it seems like myself and others have had no problem with the blogs "comment-submitting mechanism."

Seems like that's really a problem for just 1 person.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 7, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Os, they are quietly assembling what, by next season, could be one of the finest young pitching staffs in all of baseball.
Zach Britton and Brian Matusz may very well turn out to be two of the best and youngest lefties on any staff. If Arrieta and Tillman follow suit as expected, this would be an impressive rotation.

Posted by: dovelevine | February 7, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell that to Natinal fans. They'll get their panties all in a bunch about someone else talking about how good the Orioles are going to be.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 7, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

The Nats' dumpster diving for former top prospects to 'reclaim' for the five years under Bowden 2005-2009 didn't turn out so well.

There really was no diamond in the rough that had any staying power.

Lastings Milledge was a bust. Austin Kearns was a bust. Felipe Lopez was a bust. Elijah Dukes was a bust.

A guy that was a top 50 or top 100 prospect several years ago that is trying to come back after a major injury?

There must be 40-50 guys like Antonelli out there with a similar story.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 7, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to baseball season to finally arrive so I can go to the ballpark (Nationals Park, OPACY or any other stadium I can fit into my work and travel schedule) instead of having to wade through blogs to get my baseball fix.

As for today's long toss, I can understand why the Nationals are bringing Antonelli in, but I won't really start paying attention to him until he proves he's healthy and still has the tools that made him a prospect in the first place.

FWIW I have no particular grudge against the Orioles; it would be nice to have a pair of teams where people could argue over which team will win the World Series rather than which team is going to be the first to finish out of last place in their division.

Posted by: JCCfromDC | February 7, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

>it would be nice to have a pair of teams where people could argue over which team will win the World Series rather than which team is going to be the first to finish out of last place in their division.

Amen Brother. Amen.

Posted by: dovelevine | February 7, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Saxguy007 until pitchers and catchers report there is NOTHING going on right now. I think these posts are great, we are all excited and thinking about baseball so with no news to report on or read, these long toss posts are a great way to spur debate and help us pass the time before spring training.

If the Post did not have these long toss posts than everyone would complain that their are not enough new posts and the comments section is too long. And by the way, the commentators are getting their credit so what exactly is the Post doing wrong here?

High ceiling prospects are worth the wait (see Bryce Harper), however high ceiling prospects who have already crapped out of the organization that drafted them are worth a long hard look for a season, if there is no change in one season, keep it moving, if the prospect shows they have begun to overcome their deficiencies and are improving then its time to invest.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 7, 2011 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Getting back to an earlier, and periodically repeated thread, about announcers, who was good, etc. I have an interesting thing to add.

I was watching some of the Caribbean Series. The announcer's home run call was, simply, better than any other that I have ever heard. I'll try and write it, here, but please pardon my Spanish (or lack thereof):

En lo Profundoooooooooooo no no no!

Obviously, you have to hear it, but, if you can get ESPN Desportes, watch a game and look for a dinger. The call is worth it.

I like Carpenter, but this guy is amazing.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | February 7, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZZZZ...

Posted by: swanni | February 7, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the Nats are one of the 8 teams on Michael Young's trade list?

Won't find out here - but you can re-read two of your fellow posters' comments.

Posted by: swanni | February 7, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I would like to echo that I dislike these posts from the WaPo editors - Long Toss and Coin toss (on some of the other blogs). It detracts from the personality of the bloggers, and dilutes the content. I'd rather wait three days for a good post than have one of these stupid questions every day.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | February 7, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I like any post on any Nationals blog, especially in the dark days that preceed the start of spring training.

A post like this is especially good when the alternative is three days of internet static.

I say Thanks, Adam

Posted by: rushfari | February 7, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

When's the last time The Post broke a story about the Nats? I can't remember even one.

Instead of long tossing, the sports dept. needs to get serious about journalism or we will just follow the likes of Heyman, Olney, Rosenthal exclusively.

Posted by: swanni | February 7, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Coverage isn't lacking, but good journalism is.

Posted by: swanni | February 7, 2011 7:28 PM | Report abuse

All I'm saying is Flop and Kearns had decent years after leaving...

And FLop's wife is a ten http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://umpbump.com/press/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/jenniferlopez011.jpg&imgrefurl=http://umpbump.com/press/2008/03/24/hot-baseball-wife-jennifer-lopez/&h=600&w=424&sz=63&tbnid=bFOvzvnaTb92-M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfelipe%2Blopez%2Bbaseball&zoom=1&q=felipe+lopez+baseball&hl=en&usg=__Itq4z0KldSTisA2_2WPNk22C5TY=&sa=X&ei=MJNQTYqNM9PUgAeRzNDACA&ved=0CEUQ9QEwBA

Posted by: PNatsFan | February 7, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@PNats: Just like in high school, the jocks hook up with the lookers, but it's a dice-roll as to where they finish the game. Sometimes they win, sometimes they roll craps.

Posted by: BinM | February 7, 2011 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Ah Poopy? Unless the O's have someone named Strasburg on their staff its likely the Nats will surpass that rotation by next season if everything goes well.

Young pitchers @dovelevine? How about Strasburg and Zimmermann on the right? On the left side Gorzelanny, Detwiler, Lannan and Solis. All young and under 30. Plus Maya is still under 30.

The Nats managed to sign AJ Cole, with three picks in the top 90 the Nats are positioned to draw from the tremendous pitching that will be available in the draft this year as well.

Posted by: periculum | February 7, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't need a reporter to tell me that the Nats are not in on Michael Young. A) He has a limited no trade clause; B) He does not fit the defense first philosophy; and C) the cost to get him would be too high. If you want a report on the lack of meaningful news, check in with a local news station.

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 7, 2011 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Antonelli did get 540 PA's in AAA and only hit .215. In fact his hitting took a dramatic nose dive at the AAA level. Injuries or no he appears to be unable to replicate his offensive feats from A/A+ ball.

Posted by: periculum | February 7, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Michael Young is at least 35.

Posted by: seanmg | February 7, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

mikecatcher, I agree re. the guy's home run call/song. It was awesome. I thought they might end up with a tie-breaker scenario, but congrats to Mexico on winning the series.

---

En lo Profundoooooooooooo no no no!

I like Carpenter, but this guy is amazing.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | February 7, 2011 6:49 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 7, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"...with three picks in the top 90 the Nats are positioned to draw from the tremendous pitching that will be available in the draft this year as well."

The Nats have picks #6 (for finishing 6th from last), #23 (from ChiSox for Dunn) and #34 (compensation pick for losing Dunn).

3 of the first 34.

Posted by: Sunderland | February 7, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

You know I've been reading the blogs for a while now on WP and finally decided to post myself. To my shock it was 'long tossed' today. How unreal is that?

Periculum, I thought you'd like Antenolli's upside. I'm surprised.

Posted by: Crashdavis | February 7, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

People find weird things to get mad about. So, AK posts our comments sometimes, I like it. Presenting views of others for discussion is a time honored part of journalism.

Posted by: Avar | February 8, 2011 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Adam (and Dave Sheinin) both do an excellent job of covering the Nats, with well-written and insightful analysis. I look forward to each article they write (and don't begrudge one bit a little down time in the weeks just before spring training starts).

I am, however, critical of what Adam (or someone at the Post) has allowed the reader comments here to degenerate into.

Interestingly, both Adam and his noble competition, Mark Zuckerman over at Nats Insider, both posted articles seeking reader comments today. Zuckerman's responses are thoughtful, smart, and well-informed. They're a delight to read. The great majority of the responses here, with a few exceptions, are ad hominem attacks, trolls, and responses to trolls.

It's sad because this was once a place for real baseball talk.

Posted by: Snopes1 | February 8, 2011 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. If my memory does not fail me (which it sometimes does), the blogfather used to take a more activist role and even ocasionally chide bad behavior or subltly cajole people into better behavior. In any event he fostered more of a dialog. The recent long toss additions are perhaps an attempt at some dynamic conversation starters. But alas, if you attempt to engage a bunch of whiny, mamby pamby, embittered fools in a conversation you get a whiny, mamby pamby, embittered, and foolish conversation. Rats.

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 8, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

>It's sad because this was once a place for real baseball talk.

Posted by: Snopes1

>>September, 2010

WASHINGTON -- General manager Mike Rizzo believes the Nationals are in the process of closing the gap with the Phillies, who won their fourth consecutive National League East title on Monday.

But the Nationals have to get starting pitching first.

"It's starts with the starting rotation," Rizzo said. "Once we get that fixed right away, I think we'll get that much closer [to the Phillies]."

"We need a front-of-the-rotation guy to put everybody in their proper places in the rotation," Rizzo said. "That's the No. 1 priority going into the offseason. We definitely have depth -- prospect-wise -- to pull off a deal for a pitcher."

What else do you wanna talk about?

Posted by: Brue | February 8, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

>>But alas, if you attempt to engage a bunch of whiny, mamby pamby, embittered fools in a conversation you get a whiny, mamby pamby, embittered, and foolish conversation.
Posted by: natbiscuits

Pretty much sums you up. You need to find out a lot more about baseball before you start lecturing people about their opinions.

Posted by: Brue | February 8, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

With today's article in the Post on the Nationals' operations in the Dominican Republic, at least we know why the column has gone "long toss" in the past few days.

Posted by: JCCfromDC | February 8, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse