Posted at 5:40 PM ET, 03/10/2011

Chad Gaudin states his case

By Adam Kilgore

Early this morning, Manager Jim Riggleman sat in his office and effectively said the fifth starter spot was Tom Gorzelanny's to lose. In the afternoon, Chad Gaudin went to the mound and may have inserted another shred of doubt into the decision.

Gaudin, brought to the Nationals on a minor league contract, continued his strong start to spring with five scoreless innings, striking out six and walking one while allowing four hits. Gaudin has been steadfast that he's here to not just make the team, but break camp as a starter. It's probably a longshot, but he at least helped himself today.

"He's going to make it a tough call for us," Riggleman said.

"I know I'm here to compete for it," Gaudin said. "I've been in that situation a couple times and fared out not so well. I'm going to take a little different approach. I'm not thinking about making the team or being the fifth starter. I just go out there and do what I know how to do."

That's all from Viera today, folks. Keep on the lookout for a story on Drew Storen for tomorrow's paper. I'm heading to Kissimmee to watch Gorzelanny pitch. I'll write about that tonight.

By Adam Kilgore  | March 10, 2011; 5:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals spring training live blog, Mets at Nats
Next: Spring training (sort of) live-blog, I'm Sorry Houston Edition

Comments

Ugly win in game 1, which beats an ugly loss.

Yeoman's job covering both games, Adam.

Posted by: NatsFly | March 10, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the drive - we'll just be here gorging ourselves on pre-season baseball, thanks. :)

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 10, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Nationals signed Ron Villone? Really?

Any chance this is one of those "he wanted to retire a National" kind of signings?

Posted by: Sunderland | March 10, 2011 6:14 PM | Report abuse

>This spring, Gaudin has struck out 12 and walked two, an impressive ratio that Gaudin said owes to improved preparation and a better mental outlook.

"I'm not thinking about making the team or being the fifth starter. I just go out there and do what I know how to do."

How simple can it get. 12 K's and 2 walks is exactly what they look for in ST. He came to camp ready to go.

Posted by: Brue | March 10, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Since Adam's on the road:
7:05 Start v Houston
1 - Bernadina LF
2 - Espinosa 2B
3 - Hairston 3B
4 - Ramos C
5 - Norris DH
6 - Marrero 1B
7 - Frazier RF
8 - Ankiel CF
9 - Bixler SS
P - Gorzellany

Posted by: Sunderland | March 10, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

FYI, just heard on the radio, game will be delayed a few minutes, umpires are late. Wonder if they came from Viera with Kilgore?

Posted by: Sunderland | March 10, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Ron Villone? I guess Syracyuse needs a lefty.
The "he wanted to retire a National" line is pretty funny.

Posted by: Donkeyfarmer | March 10, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Top of first vs Wandy Rodriguez.
Bernadina strikes out, Espinosa flies out, Hairston singles, Ramos very nice at bat, worked it full, and earned a walk, Norris hit a hard line drive, caught for the thrid out.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 10, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse