Bush Outshines Williams In Openers

Defensive end Mario Williams, the top overall selection in the NFL draft in April, made little impact for the Houston Texans in their loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, with no sacks and three tackles.

Tailback Reggie Bush, whom the Texans passed over in favor of Williams, had 61 rushing yards and 58 receiving yards for the New Orleans Saints in his regular-season unveiling.

The Texans' starting tailback, rookie Wali Lundy, had 32 rushing yards and minus-one receiving yard.

By Mark Maske |  September 11, 2006; 3:40 PM ET  | Category:  Saints , Texans
Previous: Seats Already Getting Hot for Bledsoe, Plummer | Next: Paging the Bucs, Paging the Bucs

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Mark,
I don't think that it is fair to compare linemen to backs and ends in their rookie year. Most of the big guys need at least a year to develope and most need more than that. Smaller players tend to develop & mature physically earlier in life than large players.

I really like your blog. While I may disagree sometimes, I check it frequently. Keep it up.
Allen

Posted by: Allen | September 11, 2006 4:01 PM

Can we stop comparing these two players!?! This topic has quickly become one of my most hated topics of the NFL this season, beaten only by the TO & Tuna saga (which is only a story because the media is constantly picking at it like a child picks at a scab), Ben Roethliesberger and his ability to remain in the news, and Maurice Clarett and his arsenal (which includes a hatchet!!!). The issue has nothing to do with Williams. The attention should be on the collective body of work done by the Texans front office. It is their performance that should be scrutinized. Of all the positions in football, D-Line is one of toughest for players to maintain elite levels of production as individuals. It is easier to neutralize the impact of one individual player on the D-Line, often with little to no impact to the performance of the DLine as a group, than most any other position on the field. The Mario Williams/Reggie Bush debate isnt even apples to oranges, its more like apples to dumpsters.

Posted by: Ed | September 11, 2006 4:27 PM

New Orleans made the better selection and good for them. They could use some good news and Reggie will help New Orleans, Saints and city, move forward. Why anyone would pass on Reggie Bush is beyond me.

The Texans had enough of one Bush already, I guess.

Posted by: Louis | September 11, 2006 5:01 PM

Perhaps the comparison ain't fair, but gosh it looks like Williams isn't even trying that hard. His play pursuit is lackluster at best. I know he'll develop moves eventually but the guy was standing around behind or away from the play for most of the game. Compare that to a Dwight Freeney or Ray Lewis who always seem to be somewhere in the pile and I must say that Williams doesn't look all that promising yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2006 12:26 PM

To me, it will always be fair to compare because the Texans had the opportunity to take either one of them and they took Williams. And if Williams makes a big jump in year two or three or four and becomes the better player, please remind me to compare them then, too.

Posted by: Mark Maske | September 13, 2006 10:46 AM