Vick Fined $10,000 By League and Asked to Contribute Another $10,000 to Charity

The NFL has fined Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick $10,000 for his obscene gesture toward fans following Sunday's loss to the New Orleans Saints and requested that he make an additional $10,000 contribution to a charity of his choice, a source familiar with the penalties said.

Vick and his representatives have agreed to the sanctions and won't appeal, the source said.

Vick apologized Monday for his actions.

By Mark Maske |  November 29, 2006; 10:35 AM ET  | Category:  Falcons
Previous: M. Hasselbeck Reportedly Has Broken Finger on Non-Throwing Hand | Next: Saints Place Conwell on IR List

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

And we're worried about what "Kramer" did in the confines of a small comedy club?

Sheesh!!!

Posted by: JJ | November 29, 2006 12:00 PM

How can you even compare the two!!??

Posted by: t.gentry | November 29, 2006 12:29 PM

Simple. I state the second situation and imply a reference to the first situation.

How difficult is that?

Posted by: JJ | November 29, 2006 1:17 PM

Is that second $10,000 for the other hand?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2006 2:00 PM

That's one of the things I don't like about the NFL, they're not hard enough on their players when they do something to tarnish their team, as well as the league. If I were the commish, I'd suspend him for a game (w/o pay) and fine him for a game's salary.

Oh well, maybe I'm being too harsh, but $10,000 is too little of a fine to make an impact. That's like giving $500/hour lobbyists a $75 fine for an HOV violation while crusing down 66 -- it really does nothing at all!

The NFL should structure the fines so that they're the equivalent of AT LEAST 1% of the player's season salary.

Posted by: Sam F. | November 29, 2006 2:36 PM

jesus all he did was flick off people. Sure it was uncalled for. but get over it, the fans were probably being a-holes anyway. kids old enough to understand probably know worst things. At least he matched the fine with a gift to charity. I think people are making things a bigger deal than they really are.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2006 2:49 PM

how in the hell is this comparable to the michael richards incident? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall vick shouting racial epithets at those in attendance.......

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2006 2:55 PM

It doesn't compare to the Michael Richards incident.I guess JJ just wanted something to say.LOL

Posted by: t.gentry | November 29, 2006 3:33 PM

Yes, with all the infractions that occur during a season... and the money these guys make... the $5k to $10k fines really don't cut it.

But the fines are laid out in the agreements between the players union and the NFL corp offices. If they tried to really raise the fines to something like 50k to 100K for serious infractions... you'd get player strikes because the would not agree to signing this into their CBA contracts.

Posted by: Alan | November 29, 2006 3:35 PM

I think that Vick just let his emotion get the better of him, he is a competitor, and he hates to lose. He knows that the team is struggling. I do think that he is sorry and that the fine serves its purpose. However I do believe that the Falcons should shut Vick down for the year and let Matt or DJ get some playing time and experience.

Posted by: KAmerson | November 30, 2006 12:25 PM

I have always viewd Vick as a professional and his actions really did durprise me. However, I can imagine that it's frustrating out there especially when you lose and the home crowd gives you sorrow.
It must have gotten the best of him for him to kirk off like that. I can excuse him this one time but again...NOT!

This is still a game and he must control himself!

Posted by: Sonel | November 30, 2006 12:48 PM