Goodell Says He's "Very Concerned" About Vick Allegations But Not Ready to Decide About Discipline

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said here today that he's "very concerned" about the allegations that Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick might have been involved in a dogfighting operation in Virginia but is not prepared to make a decision about possible disciplinary action.

Authorities are investigating Vick's possible involvement, and Goodell said at a news conference following a one-day owners' meeting: "We are following it very closely. As you know, I met with Michael at the draft. I am very concerned about the issues revolving around Michael. He knows that, and he's pledged to me he's going to make changes in his life to address those. So we'll continue to monitor those."

Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) wrote a letter Friday to Goodell urging him to take strong action if the allegations are proven true. Goodell said he received the letter and would respond to Lantos.

"I do share his concern," Goodell said. "On the other hand, I want to make sure that we understand the facts before we make any decisions on this, and the facts are still unclear."

By Mark Maske |  May 22, 2007; 8:17 PM ET  | Category:  Falcons , League
Previous: Concussion Recommendations Presented to Teams | Next: Competition Committee Recommends That Goodell Shorten Draft

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I am at a total loss. Here we are, more than a full day after Clinton Portis weighed in on the entertainment value of dogs ripping each other apart, and nothing in the Post sports commentary about it? Here is a guy who was feted after each game for his style, grit, humor, who WILL FOREVER MORE BE SEEN DIFFERENTLY and no columnist has anything to say?

Posted by: kenfaulk | May 22, 2007 8:30 PM

Well said Ken, although it should be pointed out that Portis made those ridiculous and ignorant comments LAST WEEK! This further illustrates the free pass he is receiving... who says that there is no bias in reporting?

Posted by: EShine | May 22, 2007 9:38 PM

I view Portis in a much different light now. That light being for the better that there is actually a person of celebrity status that "gets it" and was willing speak publicly. I agree that the dogs are property of the owners and the property owners can do so whatever they wish with the animals. If they do it to mine then we gots a problem. Don't push your aesthetics on me.

Posted by: AnCap | May 23, 2007 12:38 AM

What kind of a person thinks watching dogs get maimed is "entertainment"? I have serious doubts that Michael Vick "gets it" now. This is a character issue.

I hope the league will see that their reputation will be sullied if it does not fire Michael Vick for dog torture. His two supportive "friends" have no moral character either.

Won't be paying for any tickets for Redskins or Falcons. This incident damages everyone associated with the league if it does not get some backbone and turf Vick.

Posted by: A Smith | May 23, 2007 2:05 PM

Free Ron Mexico!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 3:12 PM

It's not only sad but reflects poorly on previous commentary that such a hasty rush to judgement has been rendered based upon what is at this point merely allegation. ANYONE who may rush to judgement without ALL of the facts lacks both the wisdom and life experience necessary to form reasonable and informed opinions.

This "Slumber Party gossip" informed thought process should be reserved for our daughters. Michael Vick is truly no different from your or I and therefore deserves the same benefit of doubt.

His salary is performance based and was negotiated based upon his ability not his associations. The reality is that if it's uncovered he has friends or family that "fight dogs" it wont be as "media worthy" and I can assure you wont get the same press.

Get a life and wait on the FACTS.

Posted by: Louis | May 28, 2007 11:01 AM

Oh yeah and by the way, I love animals..Burgers, pork chops, chicken, fish, etc, etc. HMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMM!!!!. I'm a U.S. War veteran and I've seen WOMEN, CHILDREN, and MEN suffer alot worse fate. I wonder if you "tree huggers" posted any blogs about that. As AnCap stated earlier, if they do it to mine, then we got a problem.

Dogs are "put to sleep" (sounds more peaceful doesnt it?) everyday. I wonder if it would be different if it were called "dog boxing".

If I were a dog, I'd rather a "fighting" chance in a pit versus the one sided reality of a cold steel table.

Posted by: Louis | May 28, 2007 11:13 AM

Next we'll be throwing red paint in our arenas at any athlete thats not a vegan.

Posted by: Louis | May 28, 2007 11:14 AM

Man i say everybody is tripping a little to hard about this I mean i can see if he trained people to fight and they died but they are dogs animals do not have souls and unfortunately all dogs do not go to heaven they dont go at all ok i might agree that he shouldnt be involved at all because he is a superstar in the nfl but there has been many other athelets that have and do the same thing but yet Vick is the one that is being pursued so hard I find it to be a little weird that because of who he is they forget about all others to bring down a good role model in his communtiy

Posted by: Michael Smith | May 29, 2007 4:09 PM

Once a thug always a thug. Michael Vick isnt going to EVER change. Get it through your heads.

Posted by: MA | June 6, 2007 5:08 PM

Bet on a Dogfight
$20,000-$40,000

Being related to Michael Vick
$100,000-$500,000

People thinking that a player with 120 million cares about anything at all even football
PRICELESS

Posted by: CHRIS | June 6, 2007 5:16 PM

I think that whole family is worthless to society. Didnt his brother get thrown out of VT after five felony's. At least he had five chances :) Michael still has four to go.

Posted by: DIDDY | June 6, 2007 5:19 PM

Good thing he can throw a football and run fast (which aparently means alot in our society) otherwise he may be pooper scooping for some of those dogs. He should count his blessing everyday that God gave worthless, heartless, meaningless people (like the Vicks) millions of dollars

Way to invest your money Michael

Posted by: SIMS | June 6, 2007 5:25 PM

Why doesnt he pick on something his own size instead of a pour defenseless animal? Wait, his brother already tried that by shooting some people. Nevermind bad idea.

Posted by: MIKE | June 6, 2007 5:33 PM

Is it just me or is the NFL and sports in general just out of control with players and misconduct? I always wonder who will be the first billion dollar player and how many more strikes between billionaires and millionaires will it take for fans to never come back. Will sports contiue to thrive or will players doing these types of acts and making this kind of money eventually cause a backlash with fans. I cant even afford to take myself to any of these games. I cant imagine in 10-20 years what it will be like and what these players will be getting away with. I think we are creating monsters. So get ready to deal with them allot more.

Posted by: Erin | June 6, 2007 5:40 PM