NAACP Leader Says Vick Should Be Allowed to Return to NFL In Future

The head of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP is urging the NFL to allow Falcons quarterback Michael Vick to play in the league again after he serves his sentence for pleading guilty in his dogfighting case.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said chapter president R.L. White, according to the Associated Press. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is considering what disciplinary action the league will take against Vick, whose lawyers announced Monday that he'd agreed to plead guilty to federal dogfighting charges.

By Mark Maske |  August 22, 2007; 1:35 PM ET  | Category:  Falcons , League
Previous: J. Russell, Raiders Both Could Pay Price For Unresolved Contract Negotiations | Next: Vick, Goodell Will Meet, But It's Not Scheduled Yet

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

If the NAACP wants their answer now, with no personal apologies from Vick or attempts by Vick to even appear like he is sorry for what he did, then it should be a resounding

"Thanks for your input, but NO!!! Ask us again, after he has served his prison time and actually done something HIMSELF to make us believe he really cares. Statements to the press by his paid flunky don't count for squat."

Posted by: BoltsFan | August 22, 2007 2:21 PM

NAACP is a joke.

Posted by: BT | August 22, 2007 3:32 PM

Michael Vick should be banned from football for life. Any team that dares to take him on after all of this should expect disdain, disgust and contempt from this country and around the world.

Posted by: WI | August 22, 2007 4:46 PM

I too would prefer that the NFL not permanently ban Michael Vick.

I think each team should have the option to sign him if they so choose.

However, I would hope that each team chooses to DECLINE that option.

Posted by: Steelers Fan | August 22, 2007 5:46 PM

I can't believe he said that...Stephon Marbury, Clinton Portis, and R.L. White must all share the same brain.

NAACP now stands for...National Association Against Colored Prosecutions....

Posted by: Tokes45 | August 22, 2007 6:48 PM

I suppose if you object to their position then you're a "raceist"! If you want to ADVANCE COLORED PEOPLE why don't you teach them how to speak english and actually read the laws that govern us, whether we agree with them or not.

Posted by: Ghost38 | August 22, 2007 9:11 PM

This makes colored people look bad, It is 2007, the NAACP should be supporting people who live a honest life, not law breakers, Why is it that some stupid ass people will support Vick just b/c he is black. IF a white man did this I would not say "why is every one being so hard on him, I would say that he should not play in the NFL." Look at what he did, not the color of his skin. If the NFL is worth a dam they will keep him out of football for life. Vick is a dumb mo fo and so is the ass who let that jerk off speak for the NAACP. Wake up the law is the law. What would happen if a white player would say the "N" word I am sure the NAACP would say "As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome him back" No they would want his head and riot, WTF they are so worried about racism, maybe they are the ones that are keeping it going. No more double standards! Its 2007! PEACE But really we should be thinking about the amount of poor civilians that our government is killing in a unjust and illegal war to benefit the rich fought by the poor.

Posted by: Bfats4ever | August 22, 2007 10:10 PM

Michael Vick is a sadistic animal killer. Black/White/Yellow/Purple it does not matter. He deserves to go to jail and as far as playing football again I am confident that their is not a team in the NFL that would sign him. He is a disgusting, worthless human being. Sure rehabilate him all you want but a spade is a spade.

Posted by: JB | August 23, 2007 10:38 AM

Why doesn't NAACP speak out against the "gangsta" culture that is killing so many of our young people and instilling negative values in their hearts and minds? The NAACP has a lot more worthy issues to deal with than whether Michael Vick gets to play ball again.

Posted by: rb | August 23, 2007 11:03 AM

NAACP...again is worried about the wrong thing.

Bureau of Justice statistics for 1976-2005 indicate blacks, while 13 percent of the population, committed more than 52 percent of U.S. homicides and were 46 percent of the homicide victims. Ninety-four percent of black homicide victims were murdered by another black.

Blacks are not only the major victims of homicide; blacks suffer high rates of all categories of serious violent crime, and another black is most often the perpetrator.

Liberals and their political allies say the problem is the easy accessibility of guns and greater gun control is the solution. That has to be nonsense. Guns do not commit crimes; people do.

Up through 1979, the FBI reported homicide arrests sorted by racial breakdowns that included Japanese. Between 1976 and 1978, of 48,695 arrests for murder and non-negligent manslaughter, 21 were of Japanese-Americans. That translates to an annual murder rate of 1 per 100,000 of the Japanese-American population. Would anyone argue that the reason homicide is virtually nonexistent among Japanese-Americans is that they can't find guns?

They benefit from all kinds of asinine excuses, such as poverty, racial discrimination and few employment opportunities.

During the 1940s and '50s, blacks in Philadelphia, for example, where many of today's murders occur, were much poorer, there was far more racial discrimination, and fewer employment opportunities and other opportunities for upward socioeconomic mobility. There was nowhere near the level of crime and wanton destruction that exists today. Behavior accepted today and fosterd by groups like the NAACP wasn't accepted then by either black adults or policemen.

This is just another example of the NAACP being part of the problem...not part of the solution.

Posted by: Common Sense | August 23, 2007 1:44 PM

Bfats had good point until he stuck his Bfoot in his Bfat mouth degrading our troops by telling the usual leftist lies about our great men and women defending our great country from the terriorists. If our troops were not defending idiots like him he would not be able to say aloud his lies about our great country

Posted by: J | August 23, 2007 2:21 PM

Since when did this forum become 'Redneck Roundup'?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2007 3:58 PM

I think the NAACP needs to shut up and sit down. Michael Vick is supposed to abide by the same laws that I do. Period. I don't care who you are. Nobody has pointed out the fact that HE LIED. Not once, not twice but several times. It's been all downhill since. How can a man who showed such disdain and disrespect for his team and their reputation be expected to behave better the "second" time around unless he suffers necessary consequences for his actions?

Posted by: Chele Fernandez | August 23, 2007 4:13 PM

I agree with the majority of these people who have posted comments before me on this topic. Michael Vick should NOT be allowed to play in the NFL anymore. My disgust for Michael Vick and his INTENTIONAL actions is warranted. He is a monster, pure and simple.

I think the fact the NAACP even commented on Michael Vick, getting involved at all, was also a mistake. The NAACP is a worthless organization as of 2007.

As a black person, I am ashamed to be compared to Michael Vick for the simplicity of having the same skin color. I am also mortified and disgusted that the NAACP would EVER defend Michael Vick, his actions or his career. I will never give them a penny of my hard earned money again. I might even begin an ANTI-NAACP campaign, just for their inappropriate support for of Michael Vick....Who Knows? We currently have a retarded and evil bigot running our country, so I guess it's not surprising that the President of the NAACP would follow in Bush's footsteps by not knowing when to KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT!

Posted by: Robs | August 23, 2007 5:44 PM

R.L.White and the Atlanta NAACP are at it again. They always play the race card just like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Joseph Lowery, so I am not surprised at all. It is business as usual.

Posted by: AnselBrown | August 24, 2007 9:28 AM

I am absolutely mortified over the actions of the NAACP. Given the mission statement implied within their name, how does defending a torturer of animals even come close to "advancing" relations between the black community and any other community anywhere? Right now throughout this country as the Hispanic culture spreads and advances, their people are advancing on virtually any statistic you care to research, high school graduation, college education (especially for Latinas), home ownership and yes (to placate the haters out there who do not follow the teachings of their savior) crime. I am sorry to say that if you compare the same statistics for the African American community, there is probably only one statistic where you will find a similar trend.

At the same time tensions between those communities have been exploding nationwide while the NAACP focuses its time on smoothing out the symptoms (their famous celebrities acting with reckless abandon for civilized behavior) while their citizens' graduation rates plummet. What is more important to the NAACP, a "few hours of (mindless, vicious) entertainment" with football or children respecting and listening to their teachers for the purpose of advancing their education? The answer is clear based on their comments and the results are clear based on their statistics.

I work with a civil rights organization who is looking at reaching out to the various cultures through out our community. Living in Long Beach means having access to the most culturally diverse city in the country according to the Census Bureau. My feelings about the African American community are bad enough after the rampant violence and the cultural melt down I seem to be witnessing. How am I supposed to feel when I reach out to African American leadership who I am pretty damn sure hate homosexuals and Jews and at the same time defend torturers and vicious killers of animals? That is the perception I am exposed to from the leadership of the African American community. If that really is where they are coming from, then I want absolutely nothing to do with them. If their leadership and their people all of a sudden embraced civilized behavior and vilified the steady decline of their culture with the intent of actually building it up, then those are the leaders I would be willing to work with.

Please let me know when the African American leadership in our country decides to lead and "advance" the cause of all people. Until then I have no choice but to wash my hands of the lot of them. I will respectfully decline any meetings with any black leaders until and unless the NAACP is denounced by them or changed from its present form.

Posted by: Sad in So Cal | August 25, 2007 12:28 PM

I am a white guy and I hate racism in every form that there is. But, what I don't understand is here in America we have black heritage month, we have hispanic month, and we have asian festival to celebrate the oriental cultures, but you will not see a white culture month. If we have a white individual who is in trouble with the law you will never see a Al Sharpton, or a Rev. Jesse Jackson on their side. I've never seen any support for the white and yet we are suppose to be equal? if NAACP stands for National Association of Advancement Colored people then is not white a color? Should I not be in the same equal as the other colors? Who is really bias?

Posted by: t.j. | December 13, 2007 2:29 PM