Blake Ousts Federer in Straight Sets

American James Blake earned his first career victory over world No. 1 Roger Federer at the Beijing Olympics Thursday. With the 6-4, 7-6 (2) victory, the eighth-seeded Blake advances to the semifinals of the singles competition.

Both players are also competing in doubles.

The Beijing Games represent Federer's third attempt to win Olympic gold. Federer, the top seed, was chosen by his countrymen to carry the Swiss flag in Opening Ceremonies, but he leaves empty-handed once again.

Blake's record against the Federer now stands at 1-8.

Up next for Federer, who is poised to lose his No. 1 ranking to Rafael Nadal, is the U.S. Open.

Thursday's quarterfinal match at the Olympic Tennis Green was delayed more than three hours by rain. Five-time Wimbledon champion Venus Williams was due to follow Federer-Blake onto the featured court to face China's top talent, Li Na.

The Beijing Olympic tennis matches have been sparsely attended despite a star-studded roster that includes the top three men in the world and sisters Venus and Serena Williams.

By Liz Clarke  |  August 14, 2008; 9:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phelps, Crocker Advance in 100 Butterfly
Next: Basketball: U.S. Gets Payback vs. Greece

Comments

USA USA

Posted by: Mr. Unite Us | August 14, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

it's obvious that federer's game has taken a severe hit by examining the tournaments he's entered after wimbledon and now to lose to blake at the olympics. if he looses early in the us open he will never regain his #1 ranking.nadal is poised to carry the #1 ranking for a long time.

Posted by: ron | August 14, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

56 unforced errors in 2 sets? Wow. If he gets his confidence back he could be right back at the top of the game but if that happens I don't think it will be until the Australlian open next year. US Open is too soon and he needs a break to regroup.

Posted by: Stu | August 14, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I've been a fan of Blake for a while and I'm really excited to see this success. Federer can't just chalk this up to a bad day. He might not be the player he used to be but he's still a serious contender and we should give Blake credit for the win.

Posted by: Congratulations, Blake! | August 14, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It is a law that "Whatever goes up must come down".
This is applicable to everything in nature. Roger Federer is my favourite tennis star, but I have to accept this "law" and even he too.

Posted by: Shoaib Jameel | August 14, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe he lost to Blake, but it seems that was bound to happen given his streak from Wimbledon. He is not even just losing to Rafa.

I was an article somewhere where the writer suggests Roger go to a bigger racquet as his is currently the smallest in the circuit. What do you folks think?

Posted by: F. C. | August 14, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"federer is my favorite, but it seems that he has lost his confidence to Nadal and his reign as No. 1 is over. I cannot believe he lost to Blake! it's a sad day"

It's not a sad for me. Go USA. I like Federer, but for Blake to beat him for the 1st time on this stage is AWESOME!! Wooo!!!

Posted by: Big Rich | August 14, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Good news if Blake wins gold. Fed may still win the US Open. He is also likely to win the French once in the next few years, to complete a career Grand Slam. Mark my words!

Posted by: WinstonOBoogie | August 14, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Don't get it twisted people. Federer is AWESOME on the court, but Blake is also a phenomenal player when he's on. Federer is good, but not invincible.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Roger is finished. There's a greater likelihood he'll pull a Borg rather than come back and win any more Slams. On top of that, I put his chances of ever winning a French below absolute zero.

Posted by: The Smoking Cupcake | August 14, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

And FYI, the article is incorrect. Blake WAS (past tense) playing in the doubles, but he and Sam Querry lost in the first round to the Russians Andreev and Davydenko. Federer/Wawrinka are still in the doubles. They play a QF match against Bhupathi/Paes. So it's the Indian Express against the Fed-Express (sort of).

Posted by: DadWannaBe | August 14, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Nobody can predict anything. Federer lost badly to Nadal in the French Open, but don't forget it was the final. He lost (just) to Nadal at Wimbledon - again, in the final. Admittedly, it was a bad day for him in this Olympics to an opponent who has given him no trouble before. But Blake is no. 7 in the world - in other words, he's a pretty good player himself. But it's probably fair to say that although Federer's game has slipped in 2008, others have also raised their game - especially Nadal. At any rate, it will be interesting to see how Federer comes back from this loss of form.

Posted by: JCO | August 14, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Federer is just suffering a slump, like all of us from time to time. He's still young; he can come back.

In the meantime, I'm happy for Blake. Talk about believing in yourself He's NEVER beaten Federer, yet Blake still had the courage to play--and he won.

Astonishing!

Go USA!

Posted by: Seneca | August 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'ts a good boost of confidence for Blake, but Roger is not done yet. He just needs to realize that there are other great guys out there and needs to up his game. Didn't everyone think the William's sisters were done they are back and Federer will be back enjoy the moment James.

Posted by: LDM | August 14, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I dont know what happened to the genius!! he lost his confidence, he is the coolest player of tennis I've ever seen .. but today i saw him loosing his temper during the match!! thats not the federer we used to support!! he needs some rest i know he have enough potential to stay number one .. its all about confidence!

Posted by: Jibran Sabir | August 14, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I am a huge fan of Federer, but at the same time, I am happy for Blake. I have watched most of Blake's games and he is pretty consitent. Good luck Blake

-Kavya

Posted by: Kavyashree Mallanna | August 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Do the Olympics have more stringent drug testing than the Grand Slams ? Does pro tennis even *test* for steroids and endurance drugs ? I know the Olympics do.

Remember that 'unbeatable horse' Big Brown ? It went one race without Winstrol (steroid) and blew it big time at the Belmont Stakes. And the Olympics that Marion Jones *didn't* use steroids, she sucked.

Just saying.

Or maybe, Roger gets nervous around cute Chinese girls.

Posted by: Good Sportsmanship | August 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Andy Roddick is looking like the biggest dink in the world right about now.

Posted by: patricia | August 14, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Good Sportsmanship

Marion also came back from having a baby. That may have something to do with her sucky performance to.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Mr. Blake... Chile need a medal... vamos Gonzalez!!!!

Posted by: Marcelo | August 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Blake, he is truly great player to watch, I hope he wins gold. Federer is going through a difficult time but what a great champion he is and will continue to be.

Posted by: Mike | August 14, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________________
Nope Roger does not have a racket problem, it's a head problem and he will figure it out. It's amazing that any tennis player can win consistently with the great talent they must face each tournament.

Posted by: Mike | August 14, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the person who said that Andy Roddick looks like a "dink" right about now... he was in such the hurry to get home to prepare for the US Open that he would not go to China and represent us.... so I hope Blake takes it all!!! and then comes home and shows Andy up at the Open as well!!!

Posted by: Teresa | August 14, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Federer might have win if e has a coach to help him, like the other players!

Posted by: Fedneedsacoah | August 14, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Roger era is history guys. People who say he will come back are the same people who said he will win Wimbly after FO. Looks like it is hard for some people to face the reality.

Posted by: Stepaenek | August 15, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Fedex will make a superb comeback. There is no one out there who can match his class on court. Go 2008 and Fedex will make it to the top again!

Posted by: Mary Ann Jones | August 19, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse