First Gold Medal Given Out

Report from the Associated Press:

Katerina Emmons spoiled China's bid for the first gold medal of the Beijing Olympics on Saturday by winning the 10-meter air rifle for the Czech Republic.
Emmons, the wife of American shooter Matt Emmons, finished with an Olympic record of 503.5 points after shooting a perfect 400 in qualifying. Lioubov Galkina of Russia won the silver and Snjezana Pejcic of Croatia took the bronze.
The big surprise was a fifth-place finish by China's Du Li. She won the event four years ago in Athens. Du was just a point behind Emmons after qualifying.
American Jamie Beyerle was fourth, with a score of 499.8, just behind Pejcic's 500.9.
Du was greeted with a roar from the fans in the upper balcony of the shooting range when she came out for the final. She turned to face the crowd with a wide smile on her face, waved and bowed before heading over to her lane. However, she misfired immediately in the final round, scoring only 9.8 points on her first attempt, the worst shot of any of the eight finalists.
Competitors can earn up to 10.9 points per shot in the final.
Jamie Beyerle of Lebanon, Pa., finished fourth.
Emmons won by 1.4 points, a comfortable margin for the event. She entered the final shot all but assured of victory.
Of course, her husband was in a similar spot four years ago in the three-position rifle event. He missed out on a gold medal because he fired at the wrong target on the final shot -- an unthinkable gaffe.
Matt Emmons did win a gold in prone rifle in Athens, and will compete in both prone and three-position rifle this year.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  August 8, 2008; 11:21 PM ET
Categories:  Shooting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice Makes Perfect Trash Talk
Next: China Gets First Gold of Games

Comments

Boohoo for China.

Posted by: Matrixman | August 8, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

china 0 usa 0

Posted by: NICK | August 8, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I think a gold medal for air rifle should be half the size of a gold medal for track.

Posted by: George C. | August 8, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope there is not a lot of USA, USA chanting. I want US to win but I really like the Olympic spirit.

Some of my fondest memories and the best moments are of athletes who didn't win a medal. Included among my favorites - runner who hurt his leg and his father ran onto the track and helped him to the finish line and they received a standing ovation from everyone in the stadium; the rower who had an opportunity to win a medal but helped another country whose boat had capsized; runner who finished hours after the other runners and they had to keep the lights on for him as he crawled into the stadium only to be told he had to walk/run to the finish line; Jamacian bobsled team; '80 U.S. Hockey team - great moments some winners most not.

Posted by: Good | August 8, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I worked the Summer Games here in Los Angeles in 1984. What a great experience. The most memorable part was there was no "dead wood." Everyone gave 100% and made it what it was -- spectacular. I'll never forget it.

Posted by: Durkin T | August 9, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

although I love the Olympic spirit and all the wonderful memories that will last forever, I think it is important to cherish and root for our own country. so I'm sorry "GOOD", but I love hearing the USA USA chanting. it's pride that every nation goes into this event competing for.

Posted by: DERRICK | August 9, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

come on ,great China

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

More medals should go to China instead of America,which must be tired of winning medals.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Re:Durkin T

The LA olympics were like Berlin 1936.
The warm welcome for the Roumanian butcher's team.
Then,the US flag waving-national chauvinism out of control. Not a shred of international esprit-
Mary Lou and Reagan idolatry.
Medals worthless because of the boycott in retaliation for Moscow 1980.
The best was all the locals moving out of town so the smog stench was tolerable.

Posted by: Micheal | August 9, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Well, the Atlanta Olympics were awesome. The gymnastics team winning the gold. The people out on the streets. The lively spirit, the comraderie (sp?).

Of course, I'm wondering why Bob Costas keeps referring to the 2000 olympics as 'sydney' or Australia, and the 2004 olympics as 'Athens' but the 1996 olympics are....the 1996 olympics.

Very strange to me.