Gymnast Flies

Former Chinese gymnast Li Ning, an Olympic gold medalist, is holding the torch and "flying" around the top of the bowl. Now he is "running." This is impossible to describe but pretty amazing. I am not sure if he's going to light the cauldron or not. Dragon unavailable?

By Tracee Hamilton  |  August 8, 2008; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Opening Ceremonies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spoiler Alert: Final Torch Bearer
Next: No Dragon

Comments

Better than the archer in Barcelona. And nice homage to the Chinese martial art film traditions, as seen in Crouching Tiger, Once Upon a Time in China, etc.

Posted by: AgeofBrillig | August 8, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

NOTHING is better than the Archer in Barcelona.

I thought this was not particularly memorable. I've seen better Chinese acrobats on Merv Griffin.....

Posted by: JkR | August 8, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

china is the greatest!!!I want 7 mao.

Posted by: lxy | August 8, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

This is the first man who "fly" to light the cauldron! You should admit this is amazing and memorable! I think it's nonsense to compare it with other lighting methods, if you are surprised, that is enough.

Posted by: Lisa | August 8, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, i'm from China. I just think that the final light seems not very creative. But at the beginning of the ceremony, 2008 men beating FOUs is amazing... As a timer to the ceremony, it's very wonderful. And I just saw what the Chinese Army is like:)

Posted by: Xu, CHN | August 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Zang Yimou direction has to be prized! Though a bit too much of rethoric,(we are not used to it in the west), a bit of a kindergarten festival, a folkloric operetta and at the end an incongrous soundtrack during the teams parade. (Brasil team had a Scottish cornamuse)
The beginning with sincronized drummers and lights was beautiful, as the moving rows of chinese characters!But the top was the fireworks set!

Posted by: Gioconda | August 8, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

rnlwkitp jrbnkcfs http://qyqvitcq.com kjdmbihb szvxqdky [URL=http://nrvvotxg.com]gtsrbtpk[/URL]

Posted by: jcgpfgyt | August 9, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse