Live chat: Opening Ceremony

Chat with media reporter Paul Farhi and TV critic Hank Stuever as the Vancouver Games begin with the Opening Ceremony on NBC.

We'll kick things off around 9 p.m. Join the conversation below:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 12, 2010; 8:15 PM ET
Categories:  Live chats , Opening Ceremonies , Television , Vancouver 2010
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reports: Georgian luger killed in training crash
Next: Safety measures installed on luge track

Comments

canadian human right are ??????
in past 15 years living in Canada as Iranian journalist, and artist, Is worst , canada need housing for low income over 200,000 homeless, we do not know where are tax or oil or gas go spending? after all this fancy game ?

Posted by: stopthewar | February 12, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I love Canada, but...
Worst. Opening Ceremony Start. Ever.
5 minute flag march. 5 minute national anthem. Native tribes and balloon totems.

Posted by: maddoctor | February 12, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

TO HELL WITH THE OLYMPICS!!! I WANT MY STREET PLOWED IN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY!!! DAMNIT!!!

Posted by: demtse | February 12, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Canada...great ceremony eh? Love it. Good luck in the Games.

Posted by: PanhandleWilly | February 12, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst waste of money I have seen in a long time. I suffered through the first hour and couldn't take it any longer. BORING! Well the whales was kind of cool.....but way too long. This is the best they could come up with?

Posted by: GIJane | February 12, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Dude hanging on a wire moving to "Both Sides Now." Elegant...great show Canada.

Posted by: PanhandleWilly | February 12, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

The Native tribes are still being ignored and they live at the bottom of all. Now they put them on the front stage pretending it is a harmonious society. How cynical are they?
Other than that, what a bore they give to the world. Not that they did not try. They are just a bunch of hillbillies. I was driving all day today listening to the radio noticing that they did not even mention a word of the Chinese New Year when 1/4 of the population in Toronto are Chinese. It is a weird country.

Posted by: lhao333 | February 12, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Demtse...I live in Florida and I don't give a rat's a$$ if your street gets plowed. How about organizing the rest of the couch potatos on your street and yourself and shoveling it out yourselves?

Posted by: PanhandleWilly | February 12, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carloz0 | February 13, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to all my Canadian friends but you guys are real downers. Leonard Cohen, Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Donald Sutherland doing his best Volkswagen car commercial, and a torch that looks like cigarette butts in an ashtray.

Posted by: kevnet | February 13, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I hope Canadians don't take offense, but this is taking forever...

Edward J. Cunningham
Rockville, MD

Posted by: femfour | February 13, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

"They seem to be having problems with their torch lighting ceremony. But at least they didn't fake the fireworks."
carloz0

carloz0, Did they fake the ocean and the green field and all that leave? or you think they are real?

Posted by: lhao333 | February 13, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

ihao333,

actually i did not think the ocean and the green field and all that "leave" were real. they were special effects that were obviously special effects. sort of like the flying guy who lit the torch in china - he obviously can't fly.

but the fireworks were a deception. the tv audience was meant to believe that really happened in real time, and it did not. that's a fact, regardless what you or i think. you seem defensive about it, though.

Posted by: carloz0 | February 13, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I have a bigger problem with the pacing. Yes, the initial caldron lighting had a malfunction. But going into the Ceremony, organizers knew there would be TWO ceremonies. I don't think they needed as many musical numbers as they did, unless sales of the CD are needed to pay for the Games.

That being said, I have to commend the "slam poetry" of Shayne Koyczan. I wish I could say as an American that my country was defined by the words "please" and "thank you." Sadly, I know it isn't.

Edward J. Cunningham
Rockville, MD

Posted by: femfour | February 13, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I thought the opening ceremonies were colorful and beautiful and artistic.
All evening the NBC hosts were commenting that they couldn't top Beijing.
I guess everyone is different because I preferred Vancouver. I loved the Bear
constellation and the colors of the maple leaf that ran through the ceremonies.

Canada, one of the most generous nations in the world who also has one of the most liberal immigration entry policies being bashed below by some ingrate lecturing them on civil rights- amazing.

Posted by: menopausequeen | February 13, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I was very disappointed with the opening ceremonies on NBC.
A real "snorefest". Minus some interesting live projection on the infield it was awful.Literally I could not keep my eyes opening.
My wife was engaged I was bored to tears. Do not understand that with a female appeal there was no female commentator in the booth. When the Canadian Bear appeared on the field it was
reminiscent of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Al Michael's
in the studio however was refreshing his "senior reporting chops"
were believable, charismatic and engaging. I hope he stays in the studio replacing the "pompous little guy" from past NBC Olympics.

Posted by: rjmole | February 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Watched the ceremonies live on TV last night . . . loved the whales!
Loved hearing the mature Joni Mitchell!
LOVED the live chat WashPo simulcast with Paul Farhi and Hank Steuver.

Don't think the lovely Canadians could/should have tried to out-do Bejing . . . but it was pretty lame, nevertheless.

And would NBC/Costas PLEASE keep it to a whisper?

Posted by: talitha1 | February 13, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I see that y'all enjoyed live blogging your snarky ignorant comments during the opening ceremonies. I didn't realize that Canada was held in such contempt by Washingtonians, wow, what a hate fest.

Posted by: maplesugar | February 14, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse