Ovechkin, Semin, Datsyuk on top line for Russia

Here's another Caps update from Slava Malamud of Russia's Sport-Express:

The Russians were once again in the spotlight during the second day of hockey practice at the Canada Hockey Place. They took the ice wearing four sets of colored jerseys, indicating the current line assignments. Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin were on the "Black Line," with Pavel Datsyuk playing center.

After the practice, I asked Pavel about how he felt being placed between two such super-energetic teammates.

"Placed?" said Datsyuk in mock outrage. "I feel great about being with them."

"But what is your first impression about practicing with them?"

"My first impression? They were already running back as I was still trying to get [to the blue line]."

Alexander Semin's jokester antics on the previous night were still a topic of conversation. As he didn't talk to the media after "stealing" a golf cart and going for a joy ride around the dorm, I decided to try my luck this time.

"Ah, come on, do you really want to ask that?" laughed Semin, jokingly making as if he were going to storm out of the mixed zone. "So I took a ride. Hey, the keys were left right in! I tried them, the cart turned on, so off I went. It was cold out there. Why not? I didn't steal it, it was a rental."

"Why did Viktor Kozlov refuse a ride when you asked him?"

"I don't know. Maybe he has outgrown this stuff."

"It is eerly similar of what Ovechkin and Mike Green did in Washington. Looks like he has inspired you."

"Why is it him [who inspired]? He had done this with me before!"

As for Ovechkin, he didn't stop to talk to the press as he was chosen for a random doping test after the practice. So, his designated place in the mixed zone was left empty. With this rather embarrassing sign in front.

Canadians are all hockey experts, my eye!

Taking a break from all the attention was probably a good thing for Ovechkin. On the first day of arrival, he didn't even have the time for dinner because he was so busy with autograph seekers. Later on, when he ran outside to take out the trash from the dorm room he shares with Ilya Nikulin, about twenty fans were waiting for him near the dumpster.

Also, late in the day the coaches broke the news that the Russian team captains have been chosen and Ovechkin, along with Kovalchuk, will be wearing an "A" on his jersey.

By Slava Malamud  |  February 16, 2010; 9:44 AM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin , Ice hockey , Vancouver 2010
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Oveckin: We're not the favorites
Next: Aussies say Begg-Smith was cheated

Comments

Ovi is my favorite player in the NHL and an animal on the ice but one thought that ran through my mind is...why didn't he stop to talk to the media after being chosen to take a drug test?? Does anyone think he might fail...he did put on alot of muscle over the offseason...I sure hope not...

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 16, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

He didn't skip the media event after being chosen. He was taking his random drug test during the media event.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 16, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

TRUE TRUE...maybe I should learn how to read...

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 16, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If Malkin and Kovalchuk aren't on your first line, you have a pretty good squad!

Posted by: randysbailin | February 16, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Anybody can put ten pounds on in an off season. I put 25 pounds on in boot camp and it was only 8 weeks.

Posted by: zcxnissan | February 16, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm totally agree with you...never said I didn't agree...

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Ha, even superstars have to take the trash out.

Posted by: futbolclif | February 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

random drug test my butt!!!! :)

Posted by: 33spinner | February 16, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

random drug test....HAAAAAA.

Thats too funny.

I pray Don Cherry or Mike Milbury arent the ones conducting it.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | February 17, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Late breaking news: Slight altercation during the random drug testing of Canada's premiere hockey idol Sidney Crosby. Noted Canadian ice hockey personality Don Cherry received some scrapes and bruising when he took on NBC ice hockey commentator Mike Milbury to hold the paper cup for Crosby's random drug test.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

This makes it sound like the exchange with Semin was in English. Is this possible?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 17, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@ccCapsfan: update from Slava Malamud of Russia's Sport-Express: Pretty sure ol Slava speaks Semin's native tounge and translates.

Posted by: gregmcdonald17 | February 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

#6.....Really, Vancouver?......He's known as the "Great Eight". WTF

Posted by: fbutler1 | February 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

fbutler1:
"#6.....Really, Vancouver?......He's known as the "Great Eight". WTF"

Nah, they just did that on purpose...

Posted by: arakakij | February 17, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

More like Semin and Ovechkin were placed with Pavel. How many Cups have they won?

Posted by: Hristos77 | February 18, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse