On the Plane

Clinton's 'Red Carpet Treatment' En Route to Iraq

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton flew into Kuwait on Friday on Air Force 2, a top-of-the-line jet featuring leather seats, TV monitors and dinner served on china with silverware and cloth napkins.

For her hour-long hop to Baghdad on Saturday, however, the frills were gone.

Clinton, her State Department staff and a dozen journalists boarded an Air Force C-17 cargo jet, a hulking windowless gray workhorse, whose interior resembled a giant garage. Several rows of seats were plopped down in the middle of the cargo area.

Passengers stuffed in ear plugs because of the roar of the engines.

Once on board, staff and reporters grabbed sweaty body armor from a mound in the back of the aircraft, and practiced strapping on helmets.

It looked like the kind of wartime scenario that Clinton evoked during her campaign when she described landing amid sniper fire in Bosnia--a story she subsequently acknowledged was exaggerated.

But the Baghdad landing turned out to be quiet. Clinton got red-carpet treatment as she descended from the plane, with greetings from U.S. Ambassador Christopher Hill, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari and Adm. Mike Mullen, head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. And her motorcade zipped into the city on roads cleared of their normally chock-a-block traffic.

By washingtonpost.com |  April 25, 2009; 8:33 AM ET  | Trip:  Clinton in Mideast, March 2009
Previous: Clinton Reveals Small Contacts With Iran | Next: Clinton Keeps Up an Active Pace Overseas

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

So... Ms. Clinton flies on America's business exactly the way George Bush's people did, and as far as we know, every other president's staff.

What is the point of this "article"? That we should be mad because while doing the country's imporant foreign policy work, she ate off of a plate during a 10-hour plane ride?

Posted by: LH | April 25, 2009 9:36 AM

Very few people know the details of such traveling and it was interesting for me to read the article. I could readily identify with the description of the loud noise and even cold temperature on the interior, as I recalled my stint on a military transport aircraft. Traveling isn't 'all frills' as some might imagine.

Posted by: fxteacher | April 25, 2009 9:44 AM

I thought this article is totally meaningless and completely mean-spirited. Don't waste the space on this web site with this shallow "report".

Posted by: atsushi | April 25, 2009 9:47 AM

Really, who cares? If Mrs. Clinton is blown by suicide bomber before the full revelation of despicable atrocities she was the architect of, her daughter and the rest of her family would be in the better position than they are now, expecting these revelations. Is Mrs. Clinton expecting the admiration of USA crowds because she took the visit to the dangerous region? Not a chance, not after what she had done, and after the scale of her "achievements" is gradually becoming fully known by the public. Yes, stop the crap and report the important things, WaPo!

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 9:52 AM

Hillary Clinton is old politics and all that comes with it. She's a fake and always has been.

Posted by: NewDem | April 25, 2009 9:59 AM

This comment is directed to the disturbed individual "aepelbaum" who unfailingly provides the poorly written anti-Clinton diatribes that appear in the comment threads of the Post. Give it up and get some help.

Posted by: Roseann | April 25, 2009 10:09 AM

Story is a waste of space.

Posted by: Tomsfiretruck | April 25, 2009 10:18 AM

Let's put US Military Operations into a little perspective, since 1983 we have been in combat in Grenada, Panama, two Gulf Wars and Afghanistan and the US has lost about 5000 troops total. The causalities are about equal to 4 hours on Omaha Beach, 19 days on Iwo Jima or the first 116 Days of 1968 in Vietnam -- or even a year on the streets of several US Cities. If this country can't stomach this level of commitment in exchange for greater homeland security, then I have serious concern for our long term liberty.

Posted by: A_COL | April 25, 2009 10:19 AM

Gee just another chance to "snipe" at Hillary Clinton. Did you write a revealing article about Powell and Rice when they flew under the same "red carpet" treatment that Clinton did. Did you tell about cheney and bush jetting about the country needlessly campaigning for republicans at the taxpayers expense. I have researched google and can't find any.

Darn what a partisan bunch of crap doodle. But then when you are a republican and have nothing to offer the party of NO does lay it on thick.

Posted by: Marge | April 25, 2009 10:31 AM

Yes do you have any idea how hungry we are for real news? If you're covering the state department, how about doing some real reporting--like on Pakistan, North Korea, or even something interesting happening within the State department right there is DC? Some of us are really tired of being served this Pablum by reporters who I can only assume were raised on video games and attended "Journalism School for the Very Busy"

Posted by: Lola | April 25, 2009 10:42 AM

Hillary Clinton is an amazing woman.

She's actually got a lot in common with President Obama.

She's got an extremely high IQ and EQ, is focused, organized, and works incredibly hard.

She would have been a great president.

I don't know why fellow Democrats crap on her.

She's a great lady and a great American.

That's the real Hillary Clinton.

Every Democrat, and every American, should be proud that she's one of us.

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2009 10:59 AM

Pay no attention to aepelbaum.

She's one very sick puppy.

We're coming to take her away.

Posted by: Bellview | April 25, 2009 11:01 AM

I am so sick of news stories like this one. Actually, I am becoming more and more sick of the news media in general--too little courage to find real stories.

Posted by: bert | April 25, 2009 11:10 AM

"WHO CARES? STOP REPORTING TRIVIA AS NEWS. DO SOME REAL REPORTING AND WRITE A REAL ARTICLE ABOUT SOMETHING WITH SUBSTANCE."

It's a blog called "On the Plane", not a news flash. Read any one of the hundreds of articles available to you if you aren't interested in this one.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2009 11:11 AM

Mary Beth Sheridan, dear..

did the Secretary SAY anything? Or make news NOT saying anything?

And, like, did the silverware (flatware) have any spots or anything?

Posted by: reasoning | April 25, 2009 11:24 AM

It's a blog entry, chattel, not a news story. Learn to differentiate between the two. Bet you really get your knickers twisted about how little news is in the comics section. And don't get you started on that crossword!

Posted by: Tom | April 25, 2009 11:27 AM

Hillary Clinton is a narcissistic self promoter so of course the china and silverware go along with her bloated opinion of herself. She's a fraud and I'm sorry that Obama saw fit to put her in that spot. I guess its better to keep out of the country as much as possible. She is ALWAYS CAMPAIGNING THE POOR THING.

Posted by: Nancianne | April 25, 2009 11:28 AM

Mrs. Clinton is mass murderess, she is behind Oklahoma bombing and even 9/11. she has nothing in common with president Obama, unless, which I do not believe, he would become a mass murderer also. I-personally can't past my video response to the U-Tube movie of Susan Boyle, because( and I am pretty sure of it) this of fat thighs and fat buttocks murderous and bloody SoS has no voice and has ugly legs, in difference with me. It is, of course, my problems, but mass murderers, this creature has committed to be herself, or to be close to Bush/Cheney are everybody's business, do they not? disgusting that this bloody shame of our country is still on the top, is it not?

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 11:29 AM

I can't say I blame the critical comments. I shake my head at the the numbers of trips these folks make year after year after decade and don't accomplish much of anything. Stay home and make a phone call. The results most likely will be the same.

Posted by: dan holland | April 25, 2009 11:32 AM

Of course, Truth, Americans should be "proud" of Mrs. Clinton, especially those Americans, whose children died in Oklahoma government prepared building's explosion in 1995, those, whose relatives died on 9/11 and its uncountable world scale bloody consequences, etc. The public execution of this despicably monstrous creature is probably necessary to close up or, at least, slightly defy the most terrible pages of American history. It looks like Obama administration would have no choice, but to do it. But let us wait and see.

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 11:37 AM

Mary Beth,
Thanks for providing another article that is an example of why so many have abandoned the Post. It used to be a reputable news organization but in the past year has been reduced to nothing more than a tabloid with a mean-spirited tone (except when it comes to anything the Obamas do).

Posted by: Post Decline | April 25, 2009 11:38 AM

I sure miss having relatively decent service on our American domestic carriers. I wonder whether you have to pay to check baggage on that C-17.

Posted by: David Blackburn | April 25, 2009 11:42 AM

What a stupid and pointless article. Someone should kick Mary Beth Sheridan in her pompous, petty and ridiculous ass. What a waste of ink! What is this, the Enquirer?

Posted by: EricE | April 25, 2009 11:46 AM

She represents no policy but her own edification. I know this for a fact. Mission Accomplished.

Posted by: Albert | April 25, 2009 11:53 AM

Iraqis deaths by Americans started after Clinton's bombing of Baghdad, as the result of "blue dress stains' revelation" and intensified after 9/11 provocation, attributed maliciously to them. The "wonderful" Mrs. Clinton was heavily involved in the both provocations. Pitiful, though, that Iraqis do not want to do Obama administration's incoming necessary, but still dirty, job, and do not attempt to assassinate her. The erroneously placed chivalry, probably, they do not want to assassinate women, even monstrous women, like this one.

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 11:56 AM

What's she's supposed to do; fly commerical. FYI, many overseas flights and always in business class, use china, linens, real knives, forks and spoons, glassware etc. It's called "civilized" which is more than we get in the U.S.

Pardon me while I take off my shoes and bow down to some "Sawdust Caesar" who can keep me off my flight.

Posted by: Book with Cunard | April 25, 2009 11:59 AM

Hello, Bellview, where are you? Come her, would you? If to be serious than, unfortunately in this bloody case, I am always right. And my mental health is surprisingly stable, considering what I and my husband have been through within last more than decade. I think though that it has been God's will, as he (my husband), probably, would not have finished his incoming revolutionary concept, being in fame spot, and I, with all abilities I have, still have not been able to deliver on my own anything comparable by its technological, and, subsequently, historical meaning, to what I have been doing within this while of time, as my husband supporter and his inspiration.
Anyhow, dear Bellview, bring it on, as I, surely, need exercises!

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 12:09 PM

The media still let's Clinton's Lie stand as an exaggeration. Sniper Fire was an out and out lie for political purposes!!

Posted by: Jeff Crocket | April 25, 2009 12:12 PM

Give the reporter a break. She is just doing her job by writing about her experience in a blog. This is not a "story". The blog post is neither pro or against Hillary...just a simple behind the scenes look.

Posted by: Buddy | April 25, 2009 12:14 PM

Your site claims to remove inappropriate comments, personal attacks, etc. so how come the Apelbaum comments from someone deranged is permitted to be published.I have my criticism of Ms. Clinton but this kind of rhetoric should never be allowed on your comment site. Public execution, assassination for Ms. Clinton mentioned should be removed. It diminishes any other civilized comments being made by others.

Posted by: Pearl Volkov | April 25, 2009 12:16 PM

Posted by: Pearl Volkov | April 25, 2009 12:22 PM

Aepelbaum --

You're a textbook paranoid schitzoprenic with a fixation on a famous individual, deulsions of grandeur, bad breath, and crabs.

The can't come to take you away soon enough for the rest of the universe.

Posted by: Reality | April 25, 2009 12:40 PM

I'm wondering what the heck the purpose was of this "visit?" The cost to us taxpayers was horrendous. Had to be well in excess of 20,000 gals of jet fuel, not counting all of the security measures. I'm thinking that several million dollars would be a good guess. And for what? While we are cutting back because of the economy, she is doing this kind of stuff for no reason but publicity. And on Earth day, our Pres. flew around the country, using around 10,000 gals. of jet fuel...to make speeches for "earth day." What are these people thinking??

Posted by: jacksplat | April 25, 2009 12:44 PM

Hillary's story about Bosnian sniper fir wasn't "exaggerated," it was a complete fabrication -- a lie.

Posted by: Left Coast | April 25, 2009 12:46 PM

Oh heavens to betsy we can't print anything in a BLOG (Not hard news story) about Rodham that's the least bit unflattering! This was an interesting behind the scenes tid bid, nothing more or less.

Posted by: TWH | April 25, 2009 1:03 PM

A bit of fluff about another photo op for Hillary Clinton. Let's hope that she does better than her predecessor,Condoleezza Rice, whose lies about torture have now been disclosed.

Posted by: musafir1 | April 25, 2009 1:05 PM

Nothing about dodging snipers here, eh?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2009 1:16 PM

(Previous comment about dodging snipers meant tongue-in-cheek as a reference to her previous lies about a former trip to Bosnia, not in hatred as some of the earlier posts appear to be)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2009 1:20 PM

Time to give up my subscription. Wahtever happened to journalism in the Post??? Shameful waste of space.

Posted by: mommapolitico | April 25, 2009 1:23 PM

Yes, we want real news and this article was, nevertheless, interesting but should not be a substitute for real news.

Posted by: Gerri | April 25, 2009 1:23 PM

Time to give up my subscription. Whatever happened to journalism in the Post??? Shameful waste of space.

Posted by: mommapolitico | April 25, 2009 1:23 PM

Too bad Bill wasn't with her on the plane. We would surely have enjoyed the additional color he brings.

Posted by: cigar | April 25, 2009 1:24 PM

Ditto with the comments by LH, atsushi,and aepelbaum , etc.

Posted by: SKC | April 25, 2009 1:25 PM

I think it's newsworthy to learn that our diplomats, even up the level of the Secretary of State, aren't always flying around on luxurious government aircraft. It certainly makes sense to me to fly Hillary into Baghdad on an military aircraft that probably carries at least some of the countermeasures required onboard when flying into potentially dangerous areas.

Posted by: Hal Smith | April 25, 2009 1:39 PM

When they had "take your kids to work day" at the WaPo, the children took their parents, the employees. Don't expect high journo standards in a lot of what you read. Occasionally, the political reporting is superlative. This article, I agree, is very weak pablum. Slow news day. Slow reporters. Editors not on duty? As for Hillary, while we hope she is a successful SoS, we can't forget her profligate lying and smears in the campaign.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2009 1:42 PM

Posted by: A_COL | April 25, 2009 10:19 AM

----------------------------------------

Real easy to say when it's not your stomach being ripped out by a bullet, Mr. Armchair Patriot.

Posted by: phoenixresearch | April 25, 2009 1:42 PM

Hey aepelbaum,

You're either diagnosably paranoid or trolling(definition of trolling: deliberately stirring up controversy on an Internet Forum or chat site for one's own amusement).

If you're sick, get help. If you're a troll, go to hell.

Posted by: Hal Smith | April 25, 2009 1:46 PM

War doesn't work. History proves it over and over.

Posted by: War is Dumb | April 25, 2009 1:49 PM

"...I am always right. And my mental health is surprisingly stable, ..."

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 12:09 PM

--------------------------

No, you're not right, and neither is your mind. You are seriously delusional on both counts and need help.

I am not joking here. You are mentally unstable. Get help, and get it soon.

Normal, mentally healthy people do not act the way you have here.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2009 1:49 PM

Sorry, this does come across as space-filler. Yes, the U.S. VIP transports are at least up there with commercial business class, but they also have facilities both for inflight work and for the press contingent. It would be unwise to fly a visible VIP transport into any area where there is a security threat.

Now, about that "sweaty body armor", who's responsible for its maintenance? Sweat tends to degrade it. If sweaty equipment actually went onto that aircraft, there might be a news story there.

Incidentally, if I were a journalist that might ever go into a combat zone, I'd have practiced, long before, how to put on protective equipment.

Like her or not, there is a role for personal contact in diplomacy, and for symbolic visits -- independent of party.

Aepelbaum does seem to be violating the Post terms of service. A_COL, sign your name, and maybe we can discuss the substance of the benefits to domestic security of Iraq operations.

Posted by: Howard C. Berkowitz | April 25, 2009 2:21 PM

That's it, bring up Bosnia, you wingnut.

Posted by: Parakeeta Byrd | April 25, 2009 2:38 PM

"...I am always right. And my mental health is surprisingly stable, ..."
aepelbaum.........

Therefore you must be a troll. Please refer to my second recommendation.

Posted by: Hal Smith | April 25, 2009 2:43 PM

I am amazed that in an age when Twitter is taking off like a rocket that a factual, small update of information attracts this much venom.

Obviously, from the context, the reporter is traveling with Secretary Clinton and stuck inside the security bubble in between events, but making good use of that unavoidable down time with this inoffensive minor posting. I'm glad to see the Post diversifying from the once-a-day big "news" article, at least online, and supplementing it (not replacing it) with pieces like this.

It's also fascinating to see the one-size-fits-all hate mode here in the comments. Commenters hate Clinton, hate the reporting, hate the Post, hate the fact Clinton lost, hate each other... and all this on a generally beautiful Saturday in April when most people are at their most pleasant and relaxed. Enjoy each other, and I will go enjoy the weather.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | April 25, 2009 3:21 PM

What did she accomplish?? Where else did she go?
All that fuel and money - for what??
That trip might have paid for the DC Voucher Shortfall!
Let me off at the next stop!

Posted by: thornegp | April 25, 2009 3:40 PM

Hillary Clinton is an amazing woman.

She's actually got a lot in common with President Obama.

She would have been a great president.

I don't know why fellow Democrats crap on her.

She's a great lady and a great American.

That's the real Hillary Clinton.

Every Democrat, and every American, should be proud that she's one of us.

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2009 10:59 AM

-------------------------------------------

I'm a fellow Dem (and ardent Obama supporter) and don't crap on her. To the contrary I think the logic that she "would" have been a great president is a bit premature. I'm pretty confident that she will get her chance again in 2016 and frankly I don't see a single Republican who will be able to stop her. My prediction is that she'll run on her own merits next time around as one of the most effective SOS's in modern history. I only hope that the Repub's wait until 2016 to run Palin so that we get the pleasure of Hillary shooting her down.

Posted by: htruman | April 25, 2009 3:58 PM

This article can be entitled- "how to continue to degrade the female presidential candidate even after she has done everything possible to help her ex-rival"

Really- this is an excuse to print that Bosnia thing again- an exaggeration is not as big as a lie- Who sent an envoy to Canada "it's all just rhetoric about NAFTA"?

I worked for the Barak campaign once she dropped out but it is purely mysogynist to continue to look for faults with her while acting like he walks on water.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2009 4:29 PM

It might interest the critics and naysayers to know that the Secretary is said to be planning presentation shortly of the State Department's Superior Honor Award to the Diplomatic Security Team that protected her from attack in Bosnia.

Posted by: E. Rawleigh Pimperton III | April 25, 2009 4:50 PM

Top solicitor Aurangzeb al-Hadoodi, my nephew, confirms that Iraqis believe the Secretary of State's aurprise visit to be a prélude to a surprise one by the President himself to commemorate his first 100 days of bold accomplishments.

Posted by: Hassan Ali al-Hadoodi | April 25, 2009 4:57 PM

So what? Can you focus on writing something meaningful? Stop killing my brain cells.

Posted by: My2Cents | April 25, 2009 5:26 PM

Dear Peter Volkov, and others with the same opinions about my comments, I have the very solid and reliable mental health. I am a very stable person. I have no fixation on celebrities. The same way, as a lot of people wish all kinds of disasters on heads of well-known mass murderers, like Hitler, or similar, who are alive, I wish them on the head of Mrs. Clinton. I didn't make her a mass murderess she, obviously, is. I, certainly, hate her, as many other relatives and friends of her victims do. I think that the person with her prehistory would have been assassinated already, if this person didn't have Mrs. Clinton's secret service, and her abilities to flip over. However, I-myself have no connections with corresponding professionals, and no similar professional skills on my own. In any occasion, Mrs. Clinton is the worst pick for SoS because people in Europe hate her for Bosnia and Kosovo bombings, people in Israel for the intifada of 2000 and the revitalizing of the fully erroneous idea of two states in one region, people in Iraq for her active part in numerous deaths in Iraq (see my comments above), etc. You, of course, can blame me for "disrespectful" mentioning of Mrs. Clinton's name, but it is exactly the same, as to blame any mirror that your own face is screwed and this mirror shows it.

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 5:37 PM

Good grief. A writer provides a little "local color" and so many get so excited, ready to cancel their subscription, etc. Please relax!

As to "aepelbaum," yes please remove those strange comments from this discussion.

Posted by: Calm-it. | April 25, 2009 5:45 PM

Posted by: Anonymous

-------------------------------------------

Anonymous, excuse my skepticism but based on what you just wrote I'm rather suspicious that you are Hillary fan who contributed to the Obama campaign. This article does not "continue to look for faults with her while acting like he walks on water". Actually, it's your post that seeks to fabricate that wedge.

Hey, perhaps I'm mistaken about you're intent and if so my apologies. But if I'm right, my word of advise is that Repubs need to start working on pragmatic counter solutions rather than falling back on the tactics of Rove's divide and conquer. The Rove era is DEAD. Good riddance.

Posted by: htruman | April 25, 2009 5:48 PM

Hillary is a congenital liar.

1) She lied about being shot at in Tuzla.

2) When confronted, she stood by her story.

3) When Sinbad told the truth, she said "well, he's a comedian" to dismiss his claims.

Finally, the video surfaced to show her perilous journey!

She never did admit that she exaggerated -- she said that she "must have misremembered"

As Christopher Hitchens wrote, she is the definition of a congenital liar.

Posted by: Tuzla Trip! | April 25, 2009 5:55 PM

Fellow Democrats,

Republicans #1 political strategy is to try to destroy the personal reputations of Democratic candidates and leaders because they can't successfully attack them on competence or soundness of policy.

They pulled out all the stops to stop Hillary because they wanted to stop universal health care.

If universal health care passes, Republicans are toast, permanently.

They've figured that out, and that's why they've put so much effort into stopping it.

Posted by: Don't fall for it | April 25, 2009 6:08 PM

What do you have against my comments, Calm-it? So, crash all mirrors around, if you do not want to know that your face is screwed. It would still remain screwed. Ad, by the way, to break any mirror causes a great lot of misfortune within next seven years, as folk wisdom claims. Your comment only means what I have already written above that Mrs. Clinton took and takes good care of all kinds of protection, if real life protection or virtual. It doesn't change even a bit who she really is, and how she is known to the world. She is the reason,and my comments are only the natural implications of this reason. That is all.

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 6:18 PM

Aepelbaum's insanity is revealed in stunning detail right before our eyes.

She's a textboox paranoid scitzoid, with constructive delusions and delusions of gandeur, a fixation on a famous indidivual, and is a carrier for depression and possibly suicide, self immolating right before our eyes.

She's a walking, talking Zyprexia ad who's a danger to herself and others.

Why hasn't anybody seen to it that she receives proper care?

Posted by: Its Like Watching A "Nova" Special | April 25, 2009 6:35 PM

It is a lot of terminology,Its Like Watching A "Nova" Special, not, of course, that I believe that you know the meaning of any of these terms. However, it is obvious that you have no slightest understanding of what you are writing about. For your information: To wish the punishment for the heavy criminal is the reaction, which shows that the person, who has such wish, is mentally healthy, and, certainly, not depressed. And this wish is just the opposite of being suicidal. Otherwise, the entire justice system would not prosecute homicide, especially homicide of groups of innocent people at all. Anyhow, do not waste time watching Nova, as it is obviously to complex for your comprehension. Take care.

Posted by: aepelbaum | April 25, 2009 6:51 PM

There should be lots of cat scans and MRI's.

My bet is that our friend Aepelbaum has ventricles you could drive a bus through.

Posted by: Or National Geographic | April 25, 2009 7:08 PM

Oh how the stomach turns to read some of your comments. Still a lot of acid toward HRC, eh? Well, tough - and choke on it. She's done extremely well, having lost the election,and will make her mark in a positive way. We who supported her are jubilant - and you can choke on that, too.

Posted by: bedazzled | April 25, 2009 7:14 PM

wow, a few of these comments would be enough to have eldrige cleaver hauled out of golden gate park by the feds. so now we know where's the hate.

Posted by: thealaskan | April 25, 2009 7:34 PM

what is the subject of this article?

Posted by: fernando | April 25, 2009 7:38 PM

Hillary Clinton is great.

She, President Clinton and Chelsea all did a great job helping the President get elected.

For many Americans, the Clinton's are our generation's Kennedy's, but even better in some ways because Bill Clinton served two terms.

We face a foe that doesn't care about their fellow Americans.

A foe that has no compsssion.

A foe that doesm't shower or bathe.

"Republicans", "Conservatives", "The Gop", ""Idiots", "Bigots", "Racists", and "Fools". are "The enemy from within"
(so to speak...)

Republicans have no compasion for their fellow Americans.

They want to spend Billions on F22's but nothing on kids dying of Cancer.

The don't want to spend a dime on Cancer Research.

Its kind of hard to reason with people like that.

The only solution is to defeat them.

It appears that a simple majority might do.

God Bless President Obama and the Democratic Party

God Bless America.

Posted by: God Bless America | April 25, 2009 7:43 PM

I agree with most of those who commented so far, that Hillary's trip to Baghdad is news, but the fact that she ate off of plates instead of with her fingers is not something that will help us to design foreign policy in the region.

Is this really the most important observation the reporter has after a trip to Iraq with the Secretary of State of the United States. I would be embarrassed if this is all I had after such an opportunity for some more profound observations.

Posted by: francislholland | April 25, 2009 7:51 PM

Absolutely amazing the things that Secretary Clinton is supposed to be responsible for. One would think, from the comments, that she was responsible for murdering MacBeth. Let me see, she was first lady from January 1993 to January 2001. Somehow, during that time period, she committed mass murders of people somewhere. She did have a vote in the Senate, after becoming a Senator, but then so did 99 other Senators including a large number of Republicans (who controlled the Senate until January 2007).

Posted by: FredinVickburg | April 25, 2009 8:16 PM

See the one-woman performance of a lifetime.

Here, on this page, our very own Aepelbaum continues her Darwin-Award winning performance of "The DSM-IV is Me"

The heart warming and brain numming story of just how much damage benzene rings can do in the wrong hands.

We do not know what led some latter day "Ken Alibek" to make Aepelbaum his own cruel science fair project back in her native mother russia, but we do know that her mother threw her out, and that's quite an accomplishment.

Aepelbaum is not only insane, she's a carrier for it, depression, and suicide.

She's the swine flue of stuffing it, and I don't mean that last part in a good way.

With luck and time, she'll get proper treatment, taken away to a nice padded room and not even missed by her 345 cats.

It is long past time for her to go.

Bye, Bye, sweet nut-job.

Your straight jacket and charriot await!

Posted by: Aepelbaum is the DSM-IV | April 25, 2009 8:49 PM

Thats how most serviceman get to Iraq via Kuwait. What really sucks is that several hundred serviceman had their ticket home delayed because Hillary wanted to score points for the administration. C-17s are in short supply. I had to wait two weeks for a flight in 2006.I wish politicians would stop using serviceman as backdrops for political gain. You can't believe how bad it screws up the routine when a VIP shows up. I was aboard the USS Enterprise when Bush 41 was VP and paid us a visit. We had to paint the entire ship, guys in the engine room had to wear dress whites, et cet. If they really liked serviceman they would leave us alone!!!

Posted by: uncle joe | April 25, 2009 8:59 PM

Uncle Joe,

Is it true that Captain Kirk is Gay?

Posted by: Aye, Aye, Captain Kirk! | April 25, 2009 9:02 PM

Hillary Clinton is an amazing woman.

She's actually got a lot in common with President Obama.

She would have been a great president.

I don't know why fellow Democrats crap on her.

She's a great lady and a great American.

That's the real Hillary Clinton.

Every Democrat, and every American, should be proud that she's one of us.

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2009 10:59 AM

AIN'T THAT THE "TRUTH." THERE IS NO ONE ON THE POLITICAL SCENE TODAY THAT I ADMIRE MORE THAN HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON. I REGRET THAT BLACK DEMOCRATS (93% OF THEM) CHOSE TO BACK AN INEXPERIENCED, LESS QUALIFIED AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE OVER A HIGHLY QUALIFIED WHITE WOMAN WITH A LONG TRACK RECORD OF ADVOCATING FOR BLACK AMERICAN ISSUES.

Posted by: rOBERT | April 26, 2009 5:45 AM

ok...lets clear up a few things.......the Sec of State did not hitch a ride on 'A/F-2', because A/F -2 is ANY airplane the Vice President would travel on in the Air Force inventory from a Boeing 747 to a G-550, we will assume that the Sec traveled on her customary Boeing 757 Aircraft,a single isle aircraft that the Sec of State and Vice President use regularly, the Defense Sec can actually travel on a B-747 that the Air Force uses as a back up command post, secondly, of course the Sec was whisked in to the city on deserted streets, she is the Sec, isn't she? and the State Dept's Diplomatic Security Service would not want THEIR BOSS to have a problem with car bombs, would they?
If I remember correctly, the only person who doesn't hitch a ride on a C-17 going to Bagdad is the CIC.

I assume this the first ride in for the reporter doing this piece.............

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2009 3:20 PM