'High School Musical' Hype

Tonight at 8 p.m. there will be a blessed two-hour break in bickering, pinching, shoving and teasing in homes across the country. The reason? The debut of the Disney Channel sequel to the 2006 made-for-TV tween hit, "High School Musical." My two older kids, 10 and 8, have been talking up the debut -- and negotiating to stay up late to watch it -- for more than two months.

In honor of "High School Musical," I bought the DVD version of the 1978 hit "Grease." "It was the "High School Musical" of my childhood," I told my kids. My best friend Skippy and I went to the Uptown Theater by ourselves to watch it. Skippy was from New York and knew sophisticated tricks like how to stand on the toilets between shows so we could sneak back in for another free show. And another. We watched Grease in the theater at least six times.

Thirty years later, my kids and I all watched it in our living room. I knew every word of dialogue, and even exactly when the hot dog did back flips and jumped into the bun during the Frankie Vallie cartoon intro. I am still pretty stunned by how vividly I remembered every word and image of a movie I hadn't seen in nearly three decades. My kids loved the movie; they especially enjoyed dancing with me around the TV room afterwards.

The impact of "aspirational" TV like "High School Musical" or "Grease" on impressionable tween minds is that it gives the message that what's being presented is the norm, the goal to strive for, a chance to imagine what you could or should or might be when you grow up. Results can be good, bad or confusing. Watching "Grease" as an adult, I wondered: Did I think I would be a goody-two-shoes like Sandy? Or a skinny rock star like her transformation? Or a tough bad girl with a good heart like Rizzo? Why not just myself?

And so I wonder what's going on inside my kids' heads when they watch "High School Musical." Do I want them recalling this TV show as a cherished childhood memory 30 years from now? Do I have a choice? Would they be better off if I didn't let them watch? If I watched with them and tried to offer interpretation and guidance? Will your kids be watching "High School Musical Two" tonight? Will you?

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  August 17, 2007; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: The Fringe Benefits of Housework | Next: Legally Ambitious

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Leslie,

I suppose there could be much worse memories they could take--after all, Grease doesn't seem to have had a negative impact on you.

You and I are probably close to the same age, and I remember watching as a little kid the "Leave it to Beaver" show reruns and wondering why my family wasn't like the Cleavers. Guess the only concern I'd have is that kids need to learn the difference between "idealised" situations and what life really is. If you can help them over that bump....

Posted by: skyebluescottie | August 17, 2007 7:29 AM

My children, ages 11, 9 and 7 will be watching tonight. The oldest is going to a birthday party, giving the HSM2 soundtrack as one of her gifts to the birthday girl, and my kids can't wait. I've seen most of HSM, and will probably see HSM2, but not tonight. It's their night, it's Disney, and I'll wait to hear their reactions afterwards.

Posted by: pamsdds | August 17, 2007 7:38 AM

Will your kids be watching "High School Musical Two" tonight? NO

Will you? HELL, NO

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 7:46 AM

hillary -- why not?

Posted by: leslie4 | August 17, 2007 7:55 AM

leslie

"hillary -- why not?"

The better question is WHY?

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 7:59 AM

I have very fond memories of watching "The Sound of Music" and "The Wizard of Oz" on TV with my family (though "Oz" freaked me out a bit). We made it an event with popcorn and soda (usually verboten when I was a kid). It would be nice if that's what this show was for this generation's kids, though I don't know if it's quite as timeless.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | August 17, 2007 8:00 AM

There was a reference to Virgin Pins in Grease.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 8:04 AM

I have a two year old, so I'm not watching it w/ him. But, my 6 year old nephew loves it and last year I took him to the concert at Verion center. So, I'm going over to my sisters house and we are having a date.

Posted by: jmstrauss | August 17, 2007 8:08 AM

I definitely know every minute of the Wizard of Oz. My parents recorded it off the TV in the 70s, when VCRs were first coming out. I watched it weekly. I really hated the monkeys. Of course, I read and loved Wicked. I can't wait to see it. My SIL is taking my 2 oldest nieces to see it in NYC this fall for their birthdays. I assume it's cleaned up a bit. They really wanted to read the book, but at 9 and 11, it's too adult.

Speaking of adult, Rizzo and Kanicki(sp) have sex without a condom, and she gets her period late! I remember having absolutely no idea what was going on with that whole episode as a kid. Not to mention the song making fun of Sandy's virginity. I also remember when I realized what was going on. HSM is much safer, I think.

Posted by: atb2 | August 17, 2007 8:17 AM

Will your kids be watching "High School Musical Two" tonight? YES

Will you? HELL, YES

Finally some wholesome family entertainment.

Posted by: richierichsr | August 17, 2007 8:27 AM

This is a huge family event for us. My 10-year old daughter and 8 year old son can't wait. The first HSM is VERY wholesome with fun, light, easy to sing to music -- perfect for tweeners! My husband read a review of HSM2 yesterday -- the gist of it was that sequels are rarely better than the original. We're all looking forward to tonight!

Posted by: Sylvia1231 | August 17, 2007 8:29 AM

"Rizzo and Kanicki(sp) have sex without a condom"

That's the best way to have sex! Condoms take all the pleasure out of it.

Posted by: Mako | August 17, 2007 8:32 AM

"This is a huge family event for us."

Not much of a life, huh?

Posted by: Mako | August 17, 2007 8:38 AM

I remember being very confused by Grease as a kid. Watching it now, it's enjoyable, but I can't help thinking that these "kids"
were way more grown up in high school than I was. And the smoking, sex, and language! It seems like Grease had a different target audience in mind than High School Musical does.

But I have no idea what High School Musical is. As a 20-something with no kids, it's nowhere on my radar. But it sounds like harmless fun. Everyone enjoy! I'll be at home watching my NetFlix.

Posted by: Meesh | August 17, 2007 8:41 AM

HSM is a decent middle ground with an acceptable message.

We're having a premiere party...so clearly we like the genre. For those poo poohing the idea, try to take it this way: We see HSM as the medium introducing new songs, dance numbers that the kids will sing and dance - not a high art form. The campy plot, lip sync etc arent the prime issues at hand. Having kids singing and dancing is a good IMHO. For kids weaned singing to Disney's Ariel solos - it is nice to have some songs my son can sing - and I laugh that HSM has jocks around the country signing up for parts on their school productions.

er and, Yes we have the karaoke machine all cued up for the big event too.

So if you ask why... I say learning to sing, sing with others, whether in key or not is fun and healthy - but if you'd rather your kids stay in cartoonland until they're given the full frontal of the likes of Superbad - I guess that is your choice.

- from a kid who sang in the College Choir as well as with the rugby team.

Posted by: btpduc748 | August 17, 2007 8:42 AM

We have Verizon FIOS, and my 11-year-old dd already watched HSMII through our On Demand system. And yes, it was free!

Posted by: mosere | August 17, 2007 8:43 AM

I think Grease was more for teenagers and young adults...HSM is really a tween/young teen movie.

When I watched Grease with my kids the other night, they missed the sex and virginity references. They liked the music and dancing and Danny Zucko trying to get a letter sweater.

Posted by: leslie4 | August 17, 2007 8:51 AM

My three children (13, 11 and 5) have been planning to watch HSM2 for weeks. Although I don't love these movies, I will watch with them. Better than a lot of other things they could be watching! We listen to a lot of Disney radio in the car, again because I don't worry about having to react quickly enough to change the station at inappropriate lyrics. My only concern is that because we're on in an East Coast time zone, HSM2 isn't televised here until 9:00. I think 9-11 is too late for the target audience. I'm constantly amazed at the content of some shows on at 7 or 8 which I don't think is appropriate during "family hours" - and equally surprised that HSM2 would be shown so late. We could record the movie for tomorrow but I think it would lose the excitement of waiting for the premier so I'll probably let all stay up late to watch. And regret it tomorrow!

Posted by: Stacey | August 17, 2007 9:46 AM

Oops, should read 'we're NOT in an East Coast time zone.'

Posted by: Stacey | August 17, 2007 9:48 AM

My sister was the musical lover.
She'd listen to the records (that's how old I am) over-and-over-and-over.

Myself I liked folk singers. I know ALL the lyrics to several albums. I'm not going to tell the artist because then I'll really date myself!

Maybe I'll watch that show tonight. Even if I don't I think it's great. Stuff like that is fun, and I don't think it every warped anybody permanently.

Posted by: RedBird27 | August 17, 2007 9:52 AM

fr atb:

>...Of course, I read and loved Wicked. I can't wait to see it.<

I'd like to see it too, as I thought the book was great! I'm now reading "Son of a Witch" by the same author, it's about lur, the boy who was taken in by Elphaba. Not for the faint of heart, but VERY well written!

Posted by: alex51 | August 17, 2007 9:59 AM

fr atb:

>...Of course, I read and loved Wicked. I can't wait to see it.<

Posted by: alex51 | August 17, 2007 9:59 AM

wtf

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 9:59 AM

Yes, we will watch it, my kids love it. A good movie for them. MUCH MUCH better than Grease, which I think sends terrible messages to kids. She turns into a cigarette smoking strumpet to get the boy, possible unplanned pregancies, UGGG.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 10:01 AM

100 posts will be a tough slog with this one.....

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 10:06 AM

my regular sign on is momof3boys...don't know why it signed me on under this screen name...anyway...:)
My boys are 12 and wrote the date of the premier on our family calendar A LONG TIME AGO. Then they asked me to write it on my calendar at work so I wouldn't forget (they know me so well...). I'm pleased that there is more to tv/movie than shoot-em-ups. Music is such a great unifyer. It teaches kids of all races and backgrounds to get along and they love the kids that cooks up the creme brulee! What can I tell you?! We also watch Food Network together. I think GREASE is defnitely not a movie to watch with kids younger than 14. The subject matter is pretty heavy as are the actions (smoking, pre-marital sex). HSM I & II are both more appropriate choices.

Posted by: CheleFernandez | August 17, 2007 10:20 AM

pATRICK

"100 posts will be a tough slog with this one....."

You're missing the whole point of the blog!

1. Leslie gushes about how great her life is and what a wonderful (fill in the blank) she is. There are sweeping elements of elitism and materialism.

Hello - DISNEY IS A CABLE STATION!!

2. Most of the adoring masses (read women who peaked in high school and never want it to end) rush to agree with Leslie because Leslie validates their lives. 'Nuff said.

3. Those who disagree in any way with Leslie and the majority are given the typical high school trashing by the Queen Bees.

Pay attention!

Here come the 100 posts...

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 10:29 AM

Hillary, I know someone who would love to meet you, Her name is BABABOOEY, you two would hit it off, I guarantee.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 10:32 AM

In the spirit of musicals, I saw "Jersey Boys" last Friday in San Francisco and loved every minute. It wasn't a high-budget show to rival "Cats" or "Phantom," but it was a fantastic display of Americana, and I loved it. The music was so well done, and the way it was written brings the audience into the show as if it were the original audiences of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. The set is highly minimalist, and the props are moved by the actors, many of whom played several roles. It certainly has the "poor boys from Jersey trying to make it big" feel. I definitely recommend it; the audience was on its feet the whole time, rightfully so.

Posted by: Monagatuna | August 17, 2007 10:41 AM

Hey pATRICK:

Please buy yourself a sense of humor. In all seriousness, what is it like going through life without understanding what is funny and what is not?? (Let me guess, in your own little pathetic way, you were going to say: Hey Bababooey, why don't YOU tell ME!) See, pATRICK, that's why the rest of humanity is funny and you're, well, just you.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 10:53 AM

"A hickey from Kinicki is like Hallmark..."

There were two things I never understood: why Sandy went all rock-star modern-day (for the time) Spandex instead of tight jeans & super-tight sweater when she transformed, and why anyone thought John Travolta was sexy in the 70s (if he lived in MY house he would have to do EVERY chore to have even a little chance of gratitude nookie)

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 10:53 AM

What I find hilarious is that pATRICK has turned out to be the right-wing nut that I like to portray in jest. He's the one actually thinking that Clarence Thomas, Karl Rove, Bill Kristol, Dick Cheney, etc. are the heroes of this country. Come one pATRICK. Don't hide your true feelings. Just let loose with one real "GOD BLESS YOU CLARENCE THOMAS!!!"

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 10:56 AM

There are many real high school musicals being produced every year. Many have behind-the-scenes activities as intersinting as those concocted by the Disney studios. My daughter, now a teacher, is getting to put them for her school. Support these programs at your school. Go down and enjoy what is happening there.

Posted by: dickert | August 17, 2007 11:00 AM

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:03 AM

My niece is the right age for HSM2, but she's at her grandparents, and my BIL's parents don't watch TV (I'm not sure they even have cable), so I know she's going to be HEARTBROKEN by missing the premiere. On the other hand, if they do have cable, they're interested in theater and the performance arts, and they would probably approve of it (the movie sounds pretty harmless). I'll hear all about it ad nauseum -- several of her friends attend the school where I teach, and I'm sure they'll tell me!

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:05 AM

educmom_615 |

"There were two things I never understood: why Sandy went all rock-star modern-day (for the time) Spandex instead of tight jeans & super-tight sweater when she transformed,"

The bigger the hair - the closer to God.

(You're a teacher. Look it up! This bunch doesn't have the answers!) C'mon!

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 11:07 AM

"Bababooey, the only one here who has ever said anything you wrote was funny was emily and even then she said she had been feeling punchy all day."

Standard high school trashing.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 11:10 AM

That's your comeback? Really?? Dude, I pity you. I'll give you another chance. Say something even remotely funny. Please?!?!?

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:11 AM

I was right Hillary and Bababooey were made for each other.....

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:13 AM

"I was right Hillary and Bababooey were made for each other....."

Ehh, not bad. At least I smiled. Didn't actually laugh though. I know you can do better. I laughed uproariously at some of your immigration comments the other day.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:17 AM

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 10:53 AM

bababooey, pATRICK has, at most, one bad day out of every twenty when he opts to be insulting and obnoxious. You, on the other hand, make the choice to bore us all nineteen days out of every twenty with your repetitive, political, ALL CAPS routine. What's funny about your need to pick on one person instead of commenting on a topic of your choosing or cracking a joke?

High School Musical? Who cares about some lame TV show.

Posted by: gcoward | August 17, 2007 11:17 AM

I was right Hillary and Bababooey were made for each other.....

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:13 AM

That's oh so not fair to Hillary.

Posted by: gcoward | August 17, 2007 11:18 AM

Well put GCOWARD, arguing with bababooey is a big yawn....

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:19 AM

Karaoke day on "On Balance!"

Hillary: You're the one that bababooey wants! Woohoohoo

Posted by: btpduc748 | August 17, 2007 11:19 AM

Posted by: btpduc748 | August 17, 2007 11:19 AM

Now that was clever, props!

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:21 AM

Hey gcoward:

Here's a thought. If I bore you, don't read my posts! I guess that never occurred to you. What was it like riding the short bus to school? Oops. Guess I insulted two people today. That's my limit. Peace out!!

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:22 AM

"I was right Hillary and Bababooey were made for each other....."

More high school trashing. pATRICK must be a former jock and/or cheerleader. And soo apropos to today's topic!

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 11:23 AM

In my mind 'Grease' and 'HSM/HSM2' are worlds apart! As posters have mentioned the language, adult situations and sexual innuendo in 'Grease' is not clearly not appropriate for children/tweens. HSM presents a much more positive take on high school life and delivers strong moral principles about self-esteem and friendship. As we've already watched HSM2 on FIOS TV video on demand over the past week can report that it is an excellent sequel and fans of the first will be VERY pleased. Great musical numbers and again a strong message about friendship.

Posted by: djwcaw | August 17, 2007 11:23 AM

"As we've already watched HSM2 on FIOS TV video on demand over the past week"

How nice for you.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 11:26 AM

Posted by: hillary | August 17, 2007 11:23 AM

The Hillary pity party goes on.....

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:28 AM

THE FILTER IS TOO BLANKETY-BLANK SENSITIVE!! Either that, or the blogmonster is VERY hungry today. I just tried to post this, which I will alter slighty and indicate the word that I substituted, and y'all can tell me if you agree:

Hillary,
I GOT the hair (I was born in Bawlamer, hon) -- it's the CLOTHES that made no sense. I'm sure it was possible to look *sleazy* in the 50's before Spandex and Candies.

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:28 AM

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:29 AM

Yep, it got through after three attempts to use another word that starts with 's' and means a woman of loose morals. And considering some of the things people post, I'm surprised that particular word was filtered out. Oh well...

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:31 AM

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:31 AM

that's what I wrote and it vanished, had to settle for "strumpet" which was less than satisfying....

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:33 AM

My 11-year-old doesn't really like HSM; she thinks the song-and-dance numbers are cheesy and thinks this movie has received way too much hype. But I watched about a half-hour of it with her last night, and I explained that the overall message--conformity and having the courage to break the mold you are cast in--is an important message, which is why this movie has resonated with so many young people. It's like a musical cleaned-up version of "The Breakfast Club."

Also, as she is now in a performing arts school and she is taking theater class, she needs to learn to appreciate musicals. She does like "Grease," and I am thinking about renting other musicals that she may like (she liked "My Fair Lady" as she loves Audrey Hepburn). Any suggestions? Keep 'em clean, please : )

Posted by: pepperjade | August 17, 2007 11:33 AM

"Hillary reminds me of that line in Grease 'If you can't be an athlete than be an athletic supporter" ;)"

More high school trashing. It's getting old. Can't you think of a better tact?

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 11:36 AM

Here's another one. Bababooey remind me of that guy in GOOD MORNING VIETNAM , who after being kicked off the airwaves says 'Sir, I know in my heart I am funny"

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:36 AM

Yes, 'strumpet' sounds too Victorian, and sleazy doesn't capture the prositute aspect of Sandy's transformation very well...

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:37 AM

Bring on the hamburg, Bring on the Bun! Pappy's little puppy loves everyone!

Cause its lunch time! LALALALA Lunch Time!

I'd suggest; "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown"

Posted by: btpduc748 | August 17, 2007 11:37 AM

prositute == prostitute

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:38 AM

"Any suggestions? Keep 'em clean, please : )"

Try West Side Story. If you can handle Natalie Wood as a Puerto Rican that is.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:38 AM

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:22 A

Here's a thought. It occurs to me that you clutter up this blog incessantly with mind-numbing comments of no value. Oops. Buy a sense of humor at your local pawnshop and have a good weekend. Say hi to your friend Abu.

Posted by: gcoward | August 17, 2007 11:38 AM

Makes you wonder where pATRICK's fried, Nigel, has been.

Posted by: nonamehere | August 17, 2007 11:40 AM

Pepperjade,

Do you think your daughter might like "Gigi" with Leslie Caron, "The Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews, or maybe even "An American in Paris" with Gene Kelly? I know these are relatively old (but then, so is "my Fair Lady" which I love!)

"Gigi" might be a little over her head (a la Grease, since it deals with the demi-mondaine, but maybe not?).

Posted by: skyebluescottie | August 17, 2007 11:40 AM

More high school trashing. It's getting old. Can't you think of a better tact?

Posted by: hillary | August 17, 2007 11:36 AM

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:40 AM

"Here's a thought. It occurs to me that you clutter up this blog incessantly with mind-numbing comments of no value."

As we used to say in second grade, Why are you talking to yourself?? Why are you talking to yourself???

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:42 AM

"Any suggestions? Keep 'em clean, please : )"

And there's always the WB cartoon classic, What's Opera, Doc? You know, "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit". But as so many people here have pointed out, I'm stupid and so I might not know the difference between a musical and an opera.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:44 AM

pATRICK

"This is the big leagues, you want to attack people, be prepared for the counterattack, crying about it makes you look silly."

Your coach is looking for you.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 11:45 AM

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:46 AM

Yes, my kids are watching it and have been looking forward to it; I'm not - it's their thing not mine. Did I even give a passing thought to it being a problem in any way for them to watch it without my supervision? Absolutely not. It's good, harmless, clean, fun. If I start obsessing over little things like that I will lose my mind.

Posted by: fake99 | August 17, 2007 11:46 AM

Which reminds me, it's time to get some work done for next week...just had to practice a bit -- I'm a little rusty.

Posted by: educmom_615 | August 17, 2007 11:48 AM

Ah, bababooey, I love West Side Story, great idea. I had to perfom the Officer Krupke number for my final in HS drama class...I can't remember if I was a Shark or a Jet; it's been a long time! Some of the others suggestions I have not seen, so it might be fun for both of us to check these out. Thanks!

Posted by: pepperjade | August 17, 2007 11:48 AM

Posted by: hillary | August 17, 2007 11:45 AM

Sorry to derail your dream, but I was not a jock or cheerleader. Keep grinding that axe though, it's very entertaining.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:48 AM

bababooey - it must be embarrassing to admit that you look back to second grade for guidance in appropriate behavior.It explains alot.

Pepperjade, try Annie, Oliver, or The King and I -

Posted by: gcoward | August 17, 2007 11:49 AM

I do coach 6 year old soccer if that makes you feel better though.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 11:49 AM

Not sure how "clean" you want them to be, but if you want to go more recent, there's Chicago and Moulin Rouge.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 11:53 AM

educmom_615

"Children, if you can't be nice to each other, you will sit in my classroom at recess and THINK about your behavior!"

Yes ma'am. My goal was to shake things up a little to jump start more than 100 posts today. Looks like it will be mission accomplished.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 12:01 PM

"I do coach 6 year old soccer if that makes you feel better though." Oh goody. You'll be getting a visit from Dateline's Chris Hansen soon. Wow, that was over-the-top even by my standards! Couldn't resist though, Leslie.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 12:01 PM

pATRICK wrote: "I do coach 6 year old soccer if that makes you feel better though."

Ah, sports. Well known for tiring kids out (maybe that's why it was mandatory at the residential school I attended?).

Maybe it's an option for anyone whose kids are a little overly rambunctious? Take 'em outside and tire 'em out!

Posted by: skyebluescottie | August 17, 2007 12:01 PM

fake99

"Oh, and Leslie - if you need a movie to have a "blessed two-hour break in bickering, pinching, shoving and teasing" in your home, maybe you should worry about THAT situation and what's causing it and not a harmless tv show."

Where is Perry during this stuff?

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 12:10 PM

Where is Perry during this stuff?

Posted by: hillary | August 17, 2007 12:10 PM

Good question. Leslie tells stories about her home life as if Perry is not part of the dynamic.

Posted by: gcoward | August 17, 2007 12:12 PM

I miss Abu. Bababooey, isn't it time to log out and come back as Abu.

I've never seen HSM. Does it make you cringe in embarrassment for the actors?

Posted by: atb2 | August 17, 2007 12:13 PM

"I miss Abu."

Yes. Matt and Abu are fun to spar with. And they don't take offense quickly.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 12:19 PM

Has anyone heard from foamgnome lately?

And where's Fred today?

Posted by: skyebluescottie | August 17, 2007 12:20 PM

gcoward

"Leslie tells stories about her home life as if Perry is not part of the dynamic."

Perry is the juggernaut that funds the mansion, the vehicles, and the Disney trips (separate vacations included). He's tired!

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 12:29 PM

Posted by: fake99 | August 17, 2007 12:44 PM

fake99

"Perry or no Perry, it still makes me wonder why Leslie's home is so chaotic and unpeaceful."

This is the life that she has chosen. Then she gets to play Superwoman on the WaPo.

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 12:48 PM

Has something gone amiss? All I see are comments from Hillary bashing Leslie... zzzz

"We're all in this together...
"Getcha head in the game...
Everybody loves some good jazz squares, a real crowd pleaser.

hello hello hello hello
is there anybody out there?

Posted by: btpduc748 | August 17, 2007 1:04 PM

atb

"Hillary- You've been trying all week to get things going. Alas, yesterday's bait was not so good. Much better to go after pATRICK. He can't hold back."

And, he's dumb as a tree stump! Gotta love those good ole pseudo-Christian boys!

They take the bait everytime!

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 1:08 PM

since when did pATRICK become the universal blog target?

is that the best this blog has to offer on a Friday?

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 1:13 PM

mn

"since when did pATRICK become the universal blog target?

is that the best this blog has to offer on a Friday?"

The topic was so shallow, even for Off Balance, that the natives became restless...

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 1:21 PM

"And, he's dumb as a tree stump!"

Hillary, allow me to lower myself to the intelligence of pATRICK (oh, how cute is his little mis-use of small and capital letters). GEE HILLARY, YOU ARE SO CRUEL TO TREE STUMPS!!!! Huh huh huh. Me pATRICK. Me vote Republican. Me so funny. Me have no friends in the real world. Me no able to think for myself. Me think what Karl Rove tells me to think. Me pATRICK, hear me roar. Oh Ok, I can't roar. But I can moan and whine.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 1:22 PM

Hey atb:

I will bet you, right now, you little pissant, that Abu and I are not the same person. $100,000 American dollars. Willing to take that? Didn't think so. Go crawl back in your little cave, you pathetic loser.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 1:26 PM

And please atb:

Don't proposition me like that again, ok. It doesn't matter how you got my personal e-mail address. Just leave it alone.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 1:29 PM

atb, the voices in his head are getting a little loud today. kinda pitiful.

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 1:30 PM

"is that the best this blog has to offer on a Friday?"

Gee MN, I see you contributing so much to the discussion. Do you have a creative bone in your body?? Have something to say. Be funny. Be creative. If you can't do that, go back to watching Oprah. We'll all miss you so much.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 1:34 PM

Wow.

Over at the On Parenting blog about names, mother of Destiny has now come to the defense of the name Destiny. Things should get interesting...

Posted by: atb2 | August 17, 2007 1:36 PM

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 1:36 PM

since when did pATRICK become the universal blog target?

is that the best this blog has to offer on a Friday?

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 01:13 PM

MN, these little pygmies don't bother me a bit. Let them rant.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 1:38 PM

atb - were you at all creeped out at the parents who routinely blog here and on On Parenting providing the actual names of their children? We do disclose a certain amount of geographical and sometimes work identifiers that it struck me as jaw-droppingly risky. Unless someone doesn't care whether any nutcase or colleague can identify them. Discussing names, generally? Interesting. Mentioning the names of my children online? Not a chance.

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 1:45 PM

>...Of course, I read and loved Wicked. I can't wait to see it.<

I read and loved the book, but was a bit disappointed in the musical. I won't give details away, but I will say that pretty much NOTHING bad happens in the musical, and everything is sanitized and made into a happy ending. It kind of ruined it for me.

Posted by: cjbriggs | August 17, 2007 1:45 PM

"bababooey, It's highly unlikely that I'm going to take your preferences into consideration when deciding what to post."

Thank God. I would hate to think that the drivel you've posted was, in any way, inspired by me. Love you my child. Enjoy the weekend. Read some books, enhance your mind. Come back next week with a little more ammunition than you've had this week. I look forward to it! Don't be discouraged. At least you're trying!

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 1:46 PM

pATRICK - low-hanging fruit. it's so very tempting some days when I'm listening to hold music, LOL.

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 1:47 PM

MN- I'm not really getting the fear. People who know you will recognize you. To say you have a daughter named Destiny is not such a big deal. If I'm at the store and call my daughter by name, how's that different? Just don't put anything online that you don't want others to know. As far as nutcases finding you, I'm not all that convinced it's a real threat.

Posted by: atb2 | August 17, 2007 1:52 PM

"pATRICK - low-hanging fruit."

Oops. I think you had a little typo there. Let me fix it for you.

pATRICK = low-hanging fruit.

There, much better. :)

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 1:52 PM

"Just don't put anything online that you don't want others to know."

atb, this blog couldn't exist if we were to live by that rule, e.g., there'd be no content. Who would want others in his or her non-virtual life to know the details of all of our parenting, personal and political thoughts? Many discussions here involve marriage relationships, blunt statements about our children, health issues, family challenges, child-rearing approaches, even values. Your mileage apparantly varies. That's my cue to have another pretzel.

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 2:02 PM

MN, for Bababooey of all people to suggest that YOU need to come back and make better arguments is really a knee slapper.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 2:04 PM

pATRICK:

I hate to say this dude but I'm still a bit troubled by your admission that you coach 6-year olds playing soccer. Given everything that you've said in this forum, I pray to God that you have to go through a thorough background check for that. Please tell me that's true.

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 2:05 PM

I like that "totally missed the references to sex" comment. And then parents wonder how their kids are getting so sexually active so soon and how they get all their bad information.

They did not MISS the references- they simply took them in and filed them under "not interested/does not computer." It still STAYS there and when enough references pile up in enough places, connections WILL be made.

Thinking it's somehow safe/good that kids absorb without processing is a very passive and dangerous road to go down.

Now, I don't think you need a condom talk for a 6 year old who enjoys Grease. But you need to take note that they have now been exposed to those references and keep them in your mind as what is now part of their frame of reference. Just acting like they were "missed" is bad.

This is also why I don't get parents who suddenly get all worked up over their young teens seeing sex and sexual references. Suddenly when teens BEGIN to really get an understanding and start to want to know what's going on, based on all those things their parents blithely believed were "missed"- parents just freak and try and close it all off. Again- wrong tactic.

Posted by: EmeraldEAD | August 17, 2007 2:06 PM

thanks, pATRICK :>)

EmeraldEAD, I agree. It's not "over their heads" because their jaws don't drop to the floor and they don't ask any questions.

Posted by: MN | August 17, 2007 2:11 PM

Any by the way pATRICK. Note how I did not accuse you of anything. I merely stated my opinion. Any my opinion was not based on any facts whatsoever. Gee pATRICK, sound familiar. I should have signed my post DICK CHENEY, don't you agree??

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 2:12 PM

bababooey666

Don't bother pATRICK now! He's out back polishing up his ego!

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 2:14 PM

I disagree they are inappropriate for 6 year olds. Just because hollywood thinks its ok for 6 year olds does NOT make it so.

Posted by: pATRICK | August 17, 2007 2:18 PM

Posted by: Mako | August 17, 2007 2:35 PM

"pATRICK, you are so right. Hollywood would like you to believe that if fornicaters used condoms, not only is the movie appropriate for teenage viewing, it portrays good moral values."

See Mako, this is what I was talking about. This is the kind of hilarious post that we need more of. You even used the word "fornicators" which is a term that only lunatic right-wing evangelists spew. You are one funny dude/chick. GOD BLESS YOU MAKO!!!!

Posted by: bababooey666 | August 17, 2007 2:46 PM

MN- I have an "eh, so what" kind of attitude about that, I guess. I haven't confessed to anything that I find particularly intimate or inflammatory. If people find out I was shocked when I realized it was a CONDOM that Kanicki broke, eh, so what? I think maybe other posters have more to be worried about, particularly those whose husbands apply spinach to their hemorrhoids, if you catch my drift.

Posted by: atb2 | August 17, 2007 3:36 PM

I have no idea whether my sons will watch or not. They have their own TV in their room, and can turn on the Disney channel if they want to.

Will I be watching with them - no. I'll be drinking wine in the kitchen with DH.

(There! That ought to give a whole bunch of people here a whole bunch of opportunities to criticize! Have at it!)

Posted by: sue | August 17, 2007 3:53 PM

abt

"I think maybe other posters have more to be worried about, particularly those whose husbands apply spinach to their hemorrhoids, if you catch my drift."

There will be more than a drift if/when your Guest Blog is published. Have you given it measured thought?

Posted by: hillary1 | August 17, 2007 3:56 PM

Hillary/newhere?- I'm still thinking about it, hoping it will come up in a column without me having to wear the big red target.

Posted by: atb2 | August 17, 2007 4:29 PM

just got back from splashdown water park with all three kids. love the hillary baby booey stuff! i missed a good day. thanks -- have a good weekend everyone.

Posted by: leslie4 | August 17, 2007 4:56 PM

Hi! I love musicals and I'm a mom of two "tween" children. They love Highschool Musical and seem to want to emulate the fashions they see in those shows but I don't see the harm in that.

As of right now though I get most of their children's clothes from the Sandbox Couture, http://www.sandboxcouture.com which is an online store. They also carry a lot of baby clothing too so I buy some things for my niece, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niece too.

If your kids are as picky as mine are about their fashion check out this site. They shouldn't have much to gripe about.

Posted by: darkminion13 | August 18, 2007 6:14 PM