On Balance Recipe Swap

With everyone back to school and our insane fall schedules in full gear, what better way to find everyday balance than through a recipe swap from other overscheduled parents and friends. A few weeks ago several posters suggested this one, and accordingly, I'm thrilled to announce the first ever On Balance Recipe Swap. Especially because I'm a lousy, uninspired cook and I need all the help I can get. So bring on your tastiest, easiest, quickest, most nutritious recipe ideas.

Here are mine (all two of them):

Sauce
Cook one package ground turkey meat in large skillet
Add 1-2 jars of pre-made spaghetti sauce
Add chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
Optional: Add chopped carrots, onions, spices or a little white wine
Simmer at least one hour (the longer the better)
Serve on pasta, rice or solo for dinner, lunch or even breakfast (it's been known to happen!)

Stephanie Chicken (Named for our vegetarian babysitter who perfected it)
Dip chicken breasts in whipped egg
Bread with a mixture of bread crumbs, flour and parmesan cheese
Cook in olive oil or other oil in skillet
Great for lunch, dinner or breakfast for the whole family

I also highly recommend Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (the kind in the red and yellow bag). If you add extra chocolate chips, these taste better than homemade. Great for treats, birthdays and school bake sales.

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  September 7, 2007; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: Old New Parents | Next: The Down Side of Negotiating

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

First, IMHO it is all about fresh ingredients!

Posted by: btpduc748 | September 7, 2007 7:20 AM

Hmmm, recipes are pretty hard, because I never actually measure anything. But I'll try. Here's my summer staple: Marinate boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thickly-sliced vidalia onions overnight in a mixture of cheap balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and tarragon. The next day, grill (or cook on a grill pan on the stove). While chicken breasts are cooking, cook 2-3 strips bacon until crispy; crumble and set aside. Make up a salad with whatever you like (I'm lazy, so it usually ends up being bag lettuce, maybe a tomato from the garden). Set chicken and onions aside for a minute to cool slightly, slice, and place on top of salad. While they're resting, add a teaspoon or so of sugar to the remaining bacon fat in the pan, stir in, and add a few tablespoons of vinegar (I use mix of distilled and balsamic to get right combination of acidity and sweetness) and tarragon. Let simmer for about a minute, pour an appropriate amount over salad (I always end up with too much and only use about half), and sprinkle chopped bacon over top. Whole process takes 15-20 minutes (just depends on how long chicken takes to cook); two good-sized chicken breasts can feed 3-4 with all the other stuff.

Oh, and if, like me, you have a SO who insists on "real" meat with every meal, you can add a couple of brats to the grill and slice them up with the chicken.

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 7:20 AM

OMG, laura, that sounds AWESOME. I'm a sucker for a hot balsamic dressing.

Leslie- Your pasta sauce sounds a lot like mine, but I have to add garlic, mushrooms, and red pepper flakes. Pour it over frozen cheese ravioli, top with cheese, and bake for fake lasagna.

We eat VERY SPICY food, so be warned.

Easy curry:
Cook 3 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped red bell pepper over med-high heat. Stir in 1 can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of curry paste (~2T?) A full can is really hot. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice cellophane noodles.

Scallops with corn sauce:
Sear 1 pound of scallops in olive oil. Remove from pan. Saute 1 minced shallot (or 1-2T onion) and 1 minced garlic clove. Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup white wine. Stir in 1 cup of frozen corn and 1/4 cup of cream (half and half, heavy, whatever). Throw half of the sauce into the blender and mix, adding cream until it's as thick/thin as you'd like it. Put everything back in the pan the warm through. This takes maybe 15 minutes. Serve with a salad.

I have many more, but these are favorites right now.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 7:52 AM

Oh yea, a fun Friday! I feel a song coming on!

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 7:53 AM

OK, I found a document on my computer with 2 others.

Cheese Ravioli with Sage and Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion chopped
1 package fresh sage
1 package frozen cheese ravioli
Veggie broth
Olive oil
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese

Toss squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast with onion and 3 chopped sage leaves at 350 until soft. Cook ravioli according to directions. Fry 8 sage leaves in olive oil and drain on paper towel. Combine the roasted stuff and their juices with ravioli and use broth to thin sauce. Top with crumbled fried sage and cheese.

Bowties with Broccoli and Asparagus:

1 16oz package of bowties
1 bag or frozen broccoli florets
1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces with tips whole
2 lemons
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Olive oil
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 grilled chicken breasts

Boil 2 big pots of water. Cook broccoli and asparagus for ~5 minutes until asparagus is desired tenderness. Cook bowties according to directions. Fry garlic and the zest of both lemons in 1/4c olive oil until slightly golden. (Use the zester that makes long strips.) Add the juice of both lemons. Mix the whole mess together in one big pot and season with salt. Add more olive oil if it needs to be looser. You can substitute with a little of the pasta water or veggie water if you're feeling virtuous. We always have grilled chicken breasts for sandwiches, but you can buy a rotisserie chicken or pre-made chicken.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 7:58 AM

WOW! Who knew that the people in the million dollar homes eat the same food as the people in the 50k homes?!

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 8:04 AM

Yum!

This is my back up meal for days when I don't want to think:

Pasta e faglioli (fancy word for beans) - sorry quantities are so vague:

1 lb-ish pasta; cook
While pasta is cooking, rinse and drain one can of romano beans (or pinto, or...); defrost, drain, and chop a package of frozen spinach (or use fresh, but this is my pantry meal:))
Open one jar pesto (we freeze our own but any brand will do)

Once pasta is cooked, drain, and toss with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil - then toss in beans, spinach, and pesto (for the pesto, however much you usually use); season with salt and pepper to taste. You can add grated parmesan for an even richer taste, but the pesto is pretty rich!

This is one of my fallback slow-cooker recipes.

Crockpot fall stew

1 lb cubed pork, or boneless skinless chicken thighs (beef does not work so well in this one, and breast meat comes out too dry)
1 butternut squash, cubed into about 1 inch pieces
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

You can also add lentils, corn, carrots, potatoes, zucchini - pretty much anything that will hold up to being stewed and is lying around the house.

Put onions on bottom followed by meat and dump everything else in; add water until meat is covered. Cook on low for 8 hrs or until you get home. The squash will fall apart and become part of the creamy sauce, so this is particularly excellent with fresh bread to dip into it.

Three "instead of pizza" meals:

French toast or scrambled eggs with salad and frozen vegetables

Good quality canned soup with pitas and hummus (I often dump an extra can of lentils into our soup too).

And my favourite: baked beans on toast, but we are picky: get your favourite brand of baked beans and if you don't have a breadmaker to do the baking while you work, pick up an as-fresh-as-possible loaf of whole grain bread; toast thick slices and spread with a little bit of real butter (yes, not margarine) before adding the beans.

Serve with a platter of cherry tomatoes and cucumber or anything else that's around.

Posted by: shandra_lemarath | September 7, 2007 8:18 AM

With no apology to KC and the Sunshine Band. (Maybe they should apologize to us for this alleged song!)

Baby, babe, let's get together.
Leslie, Brian, me and you
And do the things, ah, do the things
That we like to do.
Do a little snark, write a little line,
Get blogged tonight.
Get blogged tonight.
Do a little song, write a little word,
Get blogged tonight.
Get blogged tonight.
pAT and Matt, I'll meet you,
And Dotted can come too
Where we can get together
And let our minds go totally cool.
Do a little snark, write a little line,
Get blogged tonight.
Get blogged tonight.
Do a little song, make a little word,
Get blogged tonight.
Get blogged tonight.

Do a little snark, write a little line,
Get blogged tonight.
Get blogged tonight.
Write some, write some, write some, write some,
Get blogged tonight baby.
Write some, write some, write some, write some,
Get blogged tonight baby.
(etc)

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 8:20 AM

crockpot beef curry - even friends from Singapore rave over this one

2 lbs cheap beef cut up into chunks
1 can coconut milk (low-fat doesn't break up the meat as well)
16-32oz can of crushed tomatos (whatever you have on hand will work)
1 T garlic
2T Brown Sugar (or more...this is what tempers the heat and makes it super yummy)
2T ground coriander
1t pepper (or more)
1/2 t salt (can be omitted easily)
2 heading T of red curry paste
2T fish sauce

Put everything in a crockpot. Set on low for a minimum of 6 hours with the top on. Cook an additional 2 hours with the top off (if possible) for a total of 8 hours cook time. The chunks will break down the longer it is cooked.

We serve over rice with beer on the side.

I once added a habanjero pepper. The more pepper, the more brown sugar is needed! We all like spicy, but the brown sugar deepens the flavour, while taking away the bite.

Yes, I know this isn't my curry laksa

Posted by: dotted_1 | September 7, 2007 8:22 AM

woopie! I made an anon song.

get blogged tonite!

Posted by: dotted_1 | September 7, 2007 8:23 AM

I have two great recipes: one for summer (what's left!) and one for winter.

Summer Crab Pasta
1 lb corkscrew pasta
1 lb crab meat (I actually prefer the fake-me-out krab)
1.5 cups each corn, asparagus, grape tomatoes
1/2 cup pine nuts
Juice of 2 lemons
Cilantro
Salt, pepper, and parmesean cheese to taste

Throw them all together at room temp and enjoy!

Winter Turkey Chili
1 lb ground turkey
1 onion (chopped)
1 can each kidney, black, and red beans
1 can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes (not drained)
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
salt and pepper

Cook ground turkey with chopped onion and chili powder. Throw all ingredients into crock pot, cook for 8 hours.

Okay, now I'm starving and it's only 8:30!

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 8:24 AM

dotted - have you tried the beef curry minus the corriander?

I want to try it out, but am allergic to corriander.

Posted by: cardinal_gal | September 7, 2007 8:25 AM

"Dip chicken breasts in whipped egg" (Leslie Morgan Steiner '87)
"Marinate boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thickly-sliced vidalia onions overnight" (Laura)
"Cook 3 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes," (atb)

Fresh lemonade

2 lemons
1 lime
1/2 cup sugar
2 quarts cold water.

Dissolve sugar in water. Shake well.
Squeeze juice from lemons and lime.
Combine juice with sugar water. Shake well.
Since you started with cold water,
the lemonade is ready to drink.

Notice that no birds have to die for this recipe.

Posted by: MattInAberdeen | September 7, 2007 8:25 AM

wasn't much of a song, dotted!

but the original wasn't much of a song either!

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 8:27 AM

I can already see I'm going to have to print this entire blog out today.

Tamale Casserole

6 frozen store-bought tamales (chicken, beef or veg), nuked for 5 minutes then sliced lengthwise
Bag of frozen corn
Jar of salsa verde
A few green onions, chopped
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
1 c. Milk or cream
1 t cumin
1 1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 c. grated Jack or other cheese

Place tamales in one layer on a 9x13 dish. Sprinkle with frozen corn, chilies, green onions and cilantro. Whisk milk or cream, salsa verde, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend. Drizzle over casserole. Sprinkle grated cheese over top. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top. Freezes beautifully.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 7, 2007 8:30 AM

Tuna casserole

3 (6 oz) cans tuna in water, mostly drained
1 can (15 oz) peas
1 lb bag extra-wide egg noodles
1 can (15 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1 can (fill the soup can) milk

When I was growing up we made this in a casserole in the oven, 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. Layer the tuna, peas, dry egg noodles in two layers then pour the soup and milk (mixed together first) over it all and bake in oven.

In more recent days when I make it, I cheat. I cook the egg noodles on the stove (follow pkg instruction), drain water. Mix soup and milk together then put in pot with cooked noodles, tuna, and peas and mix. Pretty much just heat through.

It tastes better using fattier milk but I tend to use skim and the lower fat soup.

Posted by: rockvillemom | September 7, 2007 8:33 AM

Matt, You serve your kids lemonade for dinner? Birds are yummy. The best, though, are bunnies. Has anyone found rabbit in DC/MD? I really want to do braised rabbit, but I have no idea where to find it.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 8:33 AM

atb, I'd check out any Asian Market and call Whole Foods, they had some rabbit last summer. Or if you could call some of the restaurants in the area, see who supplies them.

Posted by: cardinal_gal | September 7, 2007 8:35 AM

actually dotted, you were also in leslie has a blog. check out aug 24 column.

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 8:41 AM

anon - love the song. hee-larious.

very good recipes. thank god most of them include pasta.

off to oprah winfrey's house for the obama fundraiser tomorrow...still debating what to wear to "an afternoon picnic in Oprah's meadow" for 1000. will check back from los angeles for more good recipes (that i will ask my husband to make...)

Posted by: leslie4 | September 7, 2007 8:44 AM

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

1 lb (about 2 cups) cooked chicken in bite size pieces
1 lb frozen broccoli florets
1 lb bag seasoned stuffing croutons
1 (15 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 (15 oz) can cream of celery (or mushroom) soup
1 can (fill soup can) milk

Layer chicken, broccoli and croutons in two layers in casserole dish. Mix soups and milk together. Pour soup mixture over layered chicken stuff, trying to get all croutons wet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes. I tend to cook chicken ahead of time and have zip lock bags of it in the freezer for things like this. But you can also use leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken.

Posted by: rockvillemom | September 7, 2007 8:44 AM

I cook to unwind, so I've got all kinds of stuff I can post here...but if anyone has good ideas for school lunches beyond sandwiches, I'd be appreciative! Here's a couple of standbys for me:

Chicken Smashed (named by OrganicKid who does the smashing)
4-6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups plain dry breadcrumbs
Mixed dried herbs to taste (I generally use rosemary, oregano and basil)
Parmesan Cheese to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Using meat mallet, smash chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness. Arrange chicken in 15×10x2-inch glass baking dish. Pour lemon juice over. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Remove chicken from dish and pat dry with paper towels.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Melt butter with oil in small saucepan over medium heat; cool slightly. Mix breadcrumbs, herbs, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in pie dish. Brush chicken breasts on both sides with melted butter mixture. Coat chicken on both sides with breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken on baking sheet. Bake until chicken is cooked through and breadcrumbs are golden, about 20 minutes.

Pepper Crusted Maple Salmon (another OrganicKid favorite, this is what she asks for for her birthday meal)

4 wild-caught skinless salmon filets
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup maple syrup
fresh ground black pepper

Directions

Mix together the soy sauce and maple syrup in a bowl big enough to hold all the salmon filets (or use a ziploc bag, that generally works for me!). Add the salmon, and marinate at least 5 hours, but preferably overnight.

Preheat oven to 500

Place foil on a baking sheet and oil lightly or spray. Grind pepper into a shallow dish, then take 1 filet, and press the top of the filet into the pepper, forming a pepper crust. Place the filet on the foil, pepper side up, and repeat with remaining filets. Bake on top rack 7 minutes. Syrup may smoke a bit, but don't worry about that. It'll be fine. Can also be grilled.

Spicy Baked Fish Sticks

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, melted
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds catfish or other white fish fillets, cut into 3- by 3/4-inch strips

Directions

Preheat oven to 475°F. Whisk first 4 ingredients in pie dish. Mix breadcrumbs with cayenne in another shallow dish.

Heat 2 baking sheets in oven until hot, about 5 minutes. Brush with oil.

Dip fish, 1 strip at a time, in butter mixture, then in crumbs. Turn to coat. Place 1 inch apart on prepared sheets. Bake until crumbs are golden and fish is opaque in center, about 6 minutes per side. Garnish with lemon wedges; serve.

Okay, I'll stop here, but if you want me to post more, I've got 'em!!

Posted by: OrganicGal | September 7, 2007 8:49 AM

I use this site for quick and easy vegetable recipe ideas. The author lives in St Louis and her recipes use everyday ingredients and simple techniques. Plus her index by vegetable type, Weight Watchers points value, etc. is excellent.

Posted by: tntkate | September 7, 2007 8:50 AM

"Three "instead of pizza" meals"

Actually, one of my quick fallbacks is homemade pizza -- it's great for a family meal or party, and each one cooks in @ 5 minutes (turn the oven on to 450-500 when you walk through the door, and by the time you've got the kids settled and everything else ready, you're good to go). Trader Joe's and Wegman's both sell premade pizza dough (like $1.89 for a bag that makes 3-5 individual pizzas), so all I have to do is remember to take it out of the freezer before I leave in the morning. A jar of pasta sauce and a bag of shredded mozzarella covers the basics, and then you can just put out a whole mix of toppings that you might have around, and everyone can make their own (so kid entertainment to boot). Some options include:

Greek: thinly sliced onion, feta, olives, sprinkle of garlic and thyme; artichokes would work well
Mexican: salsa instead of tomato sauce, colby-jack cheese, leftover taco meat, chopped tomatoes, olives, dot with sour cream when remove from oven
Mustard: honey-dijon for the sauce, top with sliced bratwurst and chunks of cheap brie
BBQ chicken: BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce, smoked gouda cheese, leftover chicken, cilantro (yes, Matt, a chicken does have to die for this one)

And in honor of the day, I will pass along my Granny's fresh fruit pie recipe. I LOVE pie, and this is the perfect summer pie -- no baking, fresh fruit taste, and takes about 5 minutes to prepare. It sounds like something out of one of those 1950s Junior League cookbooks, where everything required either Funions or Cool Whip, but it's just amazing. You can make it with whatever fruit you want (berries, strawberries, peaches, etc), but make sure that the fruit is really perfectly in season, because the pie's only as good as the fruit -- and if you use peaches, add a little more cornstarch, because they generate so much juice.

1 graham cracker crust
enough berries or sliced fruit to fill the crust (2+ cups)
1 c water
1 c sugar
2T jello (same flavor as the fruit)
3T cornstarch

Mix together water, sugar, jello, and cornstarch; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. As soon as it boils, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.

Prepare fruit; mix with jello/cornstarch mixture, pour in graham cracker crust, and refrigerate until set. Eat plain, or top with a dollop of whipped cream (I use very little sugar and a splash of vanilla).

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 8:54 AM

In a while, I'll post my recipe for the only thing that I eat, sushi!

Posted by: nonamehere | September 7, 2007 8:56 AM

Oh, crap, I forgot to mention my favorite pizza (a souvenir from my time in Albuquerue): green chile cheeseburger. Tomato sauce, cheddar cheese, hamburger, crumbled bacon, and chopped green chile. YUM!! (you can add tomatoes, too, but I don't like, so I don't).

Oh: you can also add thinly-sliced tomatoes to the Greek pizza -- forgot to mention that, because again, I'm not so hot on the tomatoes.

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 9:01 AM

This isn't so much of a recipe for kids... but its something you can put out when you're having guests and want to look fancy but don't have the time or energy to do so. Take a log of goat cheese, put it in the center of a platter, pour honey all over it and try to make the honey on the plate look nice. Serve with crackers. It always looks amazing, people are impressed, it tastes great -- and best of all takes about 5 minutes.

Posted by: Gaylek | September 7, 2007 9:03 AM

One more. This one smells like heaven when grilling, literally makes your mouth water.

Grilled Five Spice Chicken

4-6 Chicken Breasts
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
4 whole star anise, lightly toasted in a dry pan for 3 minutes, pounded or ground into a fine powder

Combine the oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, turmeric, five-spice powder and salt. Stir well to blend. Add chicken turn several times to coat them evenly. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Thirty minutes before cooking, add the freshly toasted star anise powder to the marinated chicken, turning so the meat is coated evenly. Grill chicken until thoroughly cooked.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 7, 2007 9:07 AM

cardinal_gal: I've made it without coriander with no problem. It was 7am and I was not about to go to the store to buy some once!

anon: I remember the other song! I'm just in a 70s mood today.

Posted by: dotted_1 | September 7, 2007 9:14 AM

One last one. My husband would insist that I share this recipe because it's his favorite.

Winter Brat Stew
1 package turkey bratwursts, halved and sliced
2 or 3 potatos, cubed
1 can/bag saurkraut
1 can diced tomatos
1 can hominy
1 onion, sliced
2-3 cups chicken broth (depending on how soupy you want it)
salt and pepper to taste

Throw all ingredients into crock pot and cook for 8 hours.

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 9:15 AM

I have a quick and easy recipe that is great to use up leftover bottles of different sauces!

Easy BBQ Stir-fry Chicken Breast

Depending on how much chicken you're making, combine 1/2 bottle or 1 bottle of BBQ sauce with 1/2 bottle or 1 bottle of stir-fry sauce. Cover breasts with sauce and bake in oven until breasts are no longer pink inside.

Serve with rice and salad or other veggies!

Enjoy!

Posted by: mosere | September 7, 2007 9:26 AM

This is just general advice for people trying to eat healthier but don't want to sacrifice taste.

Because of various health issues, we only eat fish and chicken and turkey (but no other poultry) in our family. This used to be an issue because it's limiting, but now they can make anything out of turkey. We have found and eaten and enjoyed:
Turkey bologna
Turkey and chicken hot dogs
Turkey pastrami
Turkey italian sauage
Turkey breakfast sausage (links, patties, and ground)
Turkey brats
Turkey ham (seriously, it looks and tastes like ham--same consistency)

We don't miss out on much in terms of variety. And best of all, there is a lot less (usually at least 50% less) fat compared with their pork or beef counterparts.

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 9:26 AM

Frieda's Fabulous Food Recipe
(aka, the Luddite Special)

No cooking, no cleaning and no mess involved!

"Ants on a Log"

Ingredients:
Peanut Butter
Celery
Raisons

Preparation:

Cut the leafs off the celery stalks. Spread the peanut butter in the groove of the celery. Decorate with the raisons on top of the peanut butter.

Posted by: Fred | September 7, 2007 9:32 AM

that should be raisins, did not mean to invent a new food!

Posted by: Fred | September 7, 2007 9:34 AM

We buy boneless chicken breast by the ton when it is on sale and freeze them in bags of 2. Each bag is enough for a dinner of 4 in our house.

To bake: Wrap toaster oven tray in aluminum foil and cover with parchment paper (easy clean up). Place chicken on top with some fat free italian dressing on top. Bake 45 min at 375 in toaster oven. The chicken comes out moist and delicious!

We also buy bulk frozen Tilapia and Salmon filets at BJs.
To bake: Wrap toaster oven tray similar to chicken. Place fish on tray with some olive oil on top. Bake 10 minutes or until opaque. Squirt with lemon and serve.

We buy stew beef when it is on sale and freeze in 1lb packs. If I have time to come home at lunch, I will start beef stew for dinner (I cut the vegetables in the morning or the night before to save time).

4 carrots
3 celery stalks
2 large potatos
1 onion
1 lb stew beef
1 can tomatos
4 beef boullion cubes
4 cups water
1 tsp basil
1 tsp pepper

Cut vegetables in 1 in pieces and put in slow cooker. Brown stew beef and place on top of vegetables. Dissolve boullion cubes in water, mix in remaining ingredients and pour in slow cooker. Cook on high 4 hours. (I've tried cooking on low 8 hours and it seems to dry out the meat)

Posted by: Augustmom | September 7, 2007 9:36 AM

Take a tall glass. Put 6 ice cubes in. Pour 3 oz rum into glass. Pour 6 oz coke. Stir for a moment. Find a comfortable chair. Drink it. Repeat. ;)

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 9:41 AM

damn pATRICK, you keep that up and you may win FQOTD again!

Posted by: Fred | September 7, 2007 9:43 AM

atb, the Amish market in Burtonsville often has fresh, whole rabbit at the poultry counter, so you could try there.

Here's a quick dinner that my mom used to do and I still sometimes make:

BBQ Beef/Chicken/Turkey Burritos

Cook approx. 1 lb. of ground meat or chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces, in a skillet until nearly done. While meat is cooking, slice 1 green pepper and 1 onion--a few mushrooms are good here as well. Throw into the pan with the nearly cooked meat and pour enough of your favorite barbecue sauce over everything to just coat the meat and veggies. Lower heat to simmer and cook until meat is fully cooked and veggies are to desired tenderness. Serve with shredded cheddar or Jack cheese in tortillas. I usually serve this alongside corn.

Posted by: mcarro1 | September 7, 2007 9:46 AM

I'll start the "dessert" section - the kids love this. It's adapted from a recipe I saw in a cookbook in a Canadian bookstore once; no clue what the book was. The amounts aren't exact because my grandfather the chef used to tell me that real chefs don't measure, they know.

"Frozen strawberry pie"

1 pie crust (premade, or make your own from graham cracker crumbs/oreo crumbs/vanilla wafer crumbs)

1 can frozen strawberry daquiri mix (the kind without alcohol in it :-)
fresh or frozen strawberries
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups whipped cream or cool-whip

crush the strawberries with a mixer or in a blender. Add the sweetened condensed milk, daquiri mix, and whipped cream. Blend well until it's smooth and light pink. Pour into pie crusts. Freeze overnight.

(If you start with enough strawberries it makes enough for two pies. They'll keep in the freezer for a couple of weeks.)

Off topic: Meesh, how went the trip to Maryland last weekend? Was I-95 moving at all in NoVa?

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 7, 2007 9:48 AM

Guacamole

1 jalapeño pepper
1 avocado (not too soft, not too hard)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 scallions
2 tomatillos
Bottom 1/4 of a green pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

Roast jalapeño pepper over flame until skin turns black.
Wrap in paper towel and set aside to cool.
Peel avocado, slice crosswise to break up the strings,
mash with a fork or slotted spoon, sprinkle lemon juice
on mashed avocado.
Remove outer skin of tomatillos,
dice tomatillos and green pepper into 1/8" cubes.
Cut scallions into 1/4" slices.
Once jalapeño pepper has cooled, rub its skin off.
Remove seeds, dice (I use 1/2 of the pepper; if you like
spicier food, use all of it).
Spread mashed avocado on wax paper, add tomatillos,
green pepper, jalapeño pepper, scallions, mash together.
Add olive oil and black pepper to taste, mix thoroughly.
Use as a dip or as a spread.

Tomatillos are little green tomatoes that come in a
papery skin They are available at Giant or Safeway.
Most checkout clerks don't know the code to enter
into the register, so tell the clerk they are tomatillos,
code $#4801.

Posted by: MattInAberdeen | September 7, 2007 9:54 AM

Pasta Fagiole

One bag navy beans
One cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic (garlic to taste, really)
2 Bay Leaves
Red pepper flakes
Salt

Pour navy beans in large pot. Cover with water up to 2 inches over beans. Add garlic, salt and bay leaves. Simmer until beans are soft. Add red pepper flakes. Serve over precooked elbow pasta. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.

Recipe is really forgiving and it pretty much cooks itself.

Posted by: gdubcat | September 7, 2007 9:54 AM

Shandra - can you share your recipe for pesto that you can freeze? We have a boatload of basil and I would love to make it into pesto and freeze for later.

Posted by: mdsails | September 7, 2007 9:56 AM

OopS! Who knew writing recipes was so hard! I goofed guys. Add the olive oil in the beginning with the water.

Also pATRICK don't forget the time honored recipe. Locate cork screw, open wine bottle and pour.

Posted by: gdubcat | September 7, 2007 9:59 AM

Oo, the NYT recipe yesterday for tomato paella was terrific. There's a video where they show how to make it in 5 minutes. And when I came across it I already had all of the ingredients on hand.

Posted by: mlsm01 | September 7, 2007 10:33 AM

If you can read, you can cook so all you whiney princesses with Master's degrees have no excuse. I've been cooking/baking since I was 8 years old and nobody has complained yet -- and I have several blue ribbons and a champion ribbon from my County fair for baking. I also placed second in our community chili cookoff judged by local firemen. How's that for authenticity. However, since I'm not near my trusty binder of favorite recipes I can't contribute at this moment in time.

No, no, no, Leslie -- never use commercial mixes for a bake sale. That's cheating BIG TIME. My YWCA chocolate chip coconut cookies are better than any mix. When I get home tonight I'll try to contribute.

For the time being, off the top of my head:

Baked chicken and stuffing --
1 box of stove-top stuffing, chicken flavor; several pieces of chicken (breasts, thighs); 1 can of cream of mushroom soup diluted with a little milk.

Make the stove-top stuffing according to directions. Layer on the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with chicken pieces. Pour soup, diluted with a little milk, over the chicken pieces. Bake at about 350 for 45 minutes.

Another:
Baked potato with salsa:
Microwave a big Idaho potato
Split it open while hot. Put in a little butter or margerine. Top with cottage cheese and salsa. Makes a meal in itself.

Rice: I mix white and brown rice together and keep in a canister. When I use some up, I buy another bag and just mix it in alternating brown with white.

Baked rice: In a covered baking dish put 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of boiling water, salt, pepper and butter to taste. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork when done and let it sit covered a few minutes to soak up the liquid. Makes perfect rice every time. No stirring or burned rice.

Another favorite: Get a corkscrew. Find a chilled bottled of chardonnay. Apply corkscrew to cork. Twist until it opens. Find a comfy chair or couch in front of a TV set hooked up a DVD player. Select a favorite production. Plop butt down, feet up, lift glass (or bottle) to lips at regular intervals.

When I get home I'll send along the fabulous choc. chip cookies, curry chicken with fruit pieces, and award=winning chili.

Posted by: bevb20678 | September 7, 2007 10:49 AM

ArmyBrat, how nice of you to ask.

Believe it or not, we sailed through the Mixing Bowl and made it to Eldersburg in 5.5 hours after work on Friday. The next morning, we made it to Fenwick Island in 2.5 hours. There was no traffic on the Bay bridge at ~7:00 am--we didn't even wait in line to pay the toll! And my husband and I made it home to NC from the beach in about 6 hours.

The traffic gods were smiling on us all weekend. We're hoping that our sacrifice of an oil change, roatated tires, and air pressure check will appease them once again as we head back to MD this afternoon for the wedding.

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 10:55 AM

Family favorite meal - garlic chicken and 'Greek' potatoes. My garlic chicken is the dead-simple recipe I have used since college - dredge chicken in 2 parts flour, one part garlic (granulated is best, but garlic powder will work). Sautee in olive oil. Greek potatoes are even easier - peel and cube potatoes (and make more than you think you'll need - these go FAST). Line a baking sheet with foil, liberally coat potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle heavily with Cavenders seasoning. Bake at 400 degrees until crispy (about 20 minutes).

I also make pulled pork that's to die for. Take one pork loin, cook in crock pot however you'd normally do so, and use half for dinner one night. The leftover part (and it's better if it's been cooked, cooled, then pulled) refrigerate overnight, then pull it apart with two forks until it's fine. Mix one bottle of BBQ sauce, one bottle of warm water, a little brown sugar, some red pepper and a little mustard with the pork in a large skillet (I use a 14" cast iron) and cook on medium heat until the desired consistency. The water helps break down the pork further and makes it very tender.

Mother in law's 'apple fritters' - mix reconstituted dried apples or chunky applesauce with cinnamon and sugar to taste. Using biscuit dough (she uses the canned cheap biscuits - not the big ones - but I make from scratch occasionally) flatten to 1/8 inch thick circles approx. 3 in. in diameter. Fill with heaping teaspoon of apples, crimp edges with fork, cook on griddle lightly greased until brown. We have these for dinner occasionally - with some hash browns or scrambled eggs and milk, a hearty meal and easy to make.

Can't tell I come from a Southern family, eh?

Posted by: RebeccainAR | September 7, 2007 11:00 AM

pATRICK, bevb and others: I learned to cook the Louisiana way. Any main dish requires a six-pack of beer. Pour three in the dish while cooking; pour the other three down your throat.

If it seems to be a dish that beer can't enhance, pour all six down your throat.

The only main dishes that don't require beer in the preparation are those that require rum or wine.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 7, 2007 11:06 AM

bevb20678

"I've been cooking/baking since I was 8 years old and nobody has complained yet --"

Nobody has complained yet to your face, Madame Shrew. You may have a lot of quick, high sodium recipes, but you know nothing about NUTRITION. Blech!

YLS '85

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 11:07 AM

Meesh, wow, I'm stunned! That's evidence that you live right, for sure. Good luck with this trip, and hope karma doesn't catch up to you!

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 7, 2007 11:08 AM

Some really easy ones:

Beef Stew
1 lb. stew meat
2 tbsp. lipton onion soup mix
1-2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 carrots, peeled & cut into 1-inch chunks
2 baking potatoes, peeled & cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large yellow onion, peeled & cut into 1-inch chunks
1 can cream of celery soup
2/3 c. catsup
1/3 c. dark beer or red wine (optional - kids might not like the taste but don't worry about the alcohol, it cooks away)

Mix spices in the bottom of a 2-quart glass or porcelain casserole with a top (or slow-cooker). Add beef and toss to mix. Scatter veggies on top of beef. Mix soup, catsup, and beer/wine (if using) and pour over the top. Bake for 3 hours at 300 degrees or 6 hours in the slow cooker. Stir before serving. Yummy with biscuits or cornbread and a salad with apples, gorgonzola, toasted walnuts and a mustard vinaigrette. Serves 4-6.

Healthy Tuna Casserole
1 box whole-wheat linguine (I use Ronzoni Healthy Harvest)
2 tbsp. olive oil
3-4 cloves finely chopped garlic
6-8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
1/3 c. white wine
1 c. chicken broth/stock (I use Kitchen Basics - best flavor)
2 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach
2 6-oz. cans tuna packed in olive oil (Progresso & Cento make this...so does Bumble Bee but theirs isn't very good tuna)
salt & pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese
low-fat sour cream or yogurt for serving

Put spinach in a microwave-safe dish and cook according to directions. Squeeze out excess water and set aside. In large pot, bring water to boil and cook pasta according to directions. While pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat and saute garlic just until fragrant - about a minute. Chop sun-dried tomatoes and stir with garlic, then add white wine to pan. Raise heat to high and boil till liquid reduces by half. Add chicken broth and boil till liquid reduces by about half. Add spinach to pan and reduce heat to low. Drain tuna well and flake into spinach mixture. When pasta is cooked, drain it (reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water) and mix it into the saute pan. Add a little pasta water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper - add a few red pepper flakes or some Tabasco if you want a little bit of heat. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and topped with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt if you like things a little bit creamy/saucy. Serves 4-5.

Posted by: dcgirl1899 | September 7, 2007 11:10 AM

Mako, here is one for you!

The Sushi Song
(to the tune of My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music)

Codfish and grouper and redfish and kippers
Wahoo and puffers and catfish and mollies
Mackerel wrapped up in brown paper with strings
These are a few of my favorite fish

Blue colored bass and fat pompano
Dogfish and dory and spadefish with nibblers
Whitefish and whales that flee from my grasp
These are a few of my favorite fish

Goldfish with black stripes and bluegills & sturgeons abound
Salmon and squid that stay around
Silver white wry mouth that melt into my teeth
These are a few of my favorite fish

When a man fish
When the earth quakes
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite fish
And then I don't feel so bad

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 11:18 AM

from MaryB:

our summer staple is always pasta with the following on top:
2 chopped tomatoes
2 "eggs" of fresh mozzerella (though pizza cheese will do in a pinch
1 clove garlic, minced
10-12 large basil leaves, cut into chiffonade (strips)
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

I usually let the sauce sit around about 15 minutes before putting on pasta and serving. It's even better as leftovers and can be put on bread too.

For winter, I use the pressure cooker constantly for quick, wholesome food. I suggest books by Lorna Sass and Madhur Jaffrey (especially "Quick and Easy Indian Cuisine).

Posted by: nahnah | September 7, 2007 11:23 AM

But at least we will enjoy life, Hillary!

Have fun eating your unsalted crackers and rice cakes. Have half a grapefruit on me!

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 11:24 AM

Q: Do you know what one hungry economist said to the other?

A: First, let's assume a recipe!

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 11:36 AM

Crock Pot Chicken
Place 1 whole chicken (I prefer about 4lbs) washed and trimmed of excess skin/fat in your crock pot. Add one small can of mushroom stems and pieces, and sprinkle with one package of dry soup mix (onion works fine, but any Lipton Recipe Secrets are great). Cook all day while you're at work. Remove chicken and keep warm in the oven. Drain fat from liquid in the crock pot and add instant rice proportional to the liquid. You can also microwave and add peas and carrots.

Stuffed Peppers
Brown 1 lb. ground beef (or turkey) and season to taste (I prefer taco seasoning). Add dehydrated onion (or fresh if you feel like chopping it up), 1 to 1.5 cups instant rice and one can diced pealed tomatoes with the juice. Remove the stem and seeds from 4 whole green peppers and stuff with meat/rice mixture (You can stuff them whole or slice them in half and stuff them; whatever). Arrange in a glass baking dish and cover. Microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes until the peppers are fork tender. Serve with soy sauce.

Posted by: schellef77 | September 7, 2007 11:42 AM

ArmyBrat, thanks for the desert idea. Emily, can you share your flan recipe?

Leslie...your babysitter is not a vegetarian if she eats chicken. I'm not sure why flesh-eaters refer to themselves as vegetarians simply because they don't eat cow or pig but they eat other animals (maybe only mammals count?). I'm a lacto-ova vegetarian (I eat dairy and eggs--unborn meat).

Anon...love your song parodies; your creativity is endless!

Posted by: pepperjade | September 7, 2007 11:44 AM

Well, thanks Pepperjade and Leslie also.

For every one that is (sorta') worth publishing, three go in the trash. I had one with your name but pepperjade is just so hard to work in. It was trashed.

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 11:49 AM

Q: What is a model's favorite food?

A: A half bottle of water that she pretends is nourishment.

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 11:51 AM

bevb --

You might want to check your attitude at the door. "Whiny princesses with Master's Degrees"? Seriously? And berating Leslie for using a mix, then bragging about your own recipe for StoveTop stuffing with cream of mushroom soup -- irony, much?

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 11:54 AM

pepperjade

" I'm a lacto-ova vegetarian (I eat dairy and eggs--unborn meat). "

You eat unborn meat?

Oh, my GOD!!!!!

YLS '85

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 11:56 AM

Laura: The chicken dish is not for a bake sale. It's quick and filling, period, which is the topic of today's blog.

Posted by: bevb20678 | September 7, 2007 11:57 AM

Here's one to celebrate the last of summer and Virginia's 2007 bumper crop of peaches:

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Fresh Peach and Ginger Sauce

** Should marinade overnight **

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
5 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
3 14- to 16-ounce pork tenderloins
3 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, chopped. (You can substitute peaches packed in juice, drained and chopped.)

Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sugar. Sauté until onion is golden, about 6 minutes. Mix in wine and next 5 ingredients. Cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Cool sauce completely.

Place pork in large resealable plastic bag. Pour 1 cup sauce over pork. Seal and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, shaking occasionally. Cover remaining sauce separately and refrigerate.

Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. Grill pork until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 155 degrees, turning often, about 35 minutes. (You can also to this in a large sautee pan if your tenderloins are on the slim side.)

Meanwhile, boil remaining sauce in heavy medium saucepan until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add peaches. Stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Slice pork and arrange on platter. Spoon some sauce over. Pass remaining sauce separately. Serves 8.

Posted by: twoterrificboys | September 7, 2007 11:58 AM

Posted by: hillary | September 7, 2007 11:56 AM

Joke, Hillary...there's lots of vegetarian jokes. My coworker gave me a shirt that reads, "Save a cow--eat a vegetarian." Do you get that one?

Posted by: pepperjade | September 7, 2007 12:05 PM

"Pseudo Chicken Pho"

Per person, use:

1 Thai Kitchen Spring Onion Instant Rice Noodle Soup (Garlic & Vegetable if you can't get Spring Onion)

1 can chicken broth (low salt is better - the Swanson "Natural Goodness" broth is good. Over two people, you might want to dilute a bit, since the recipe then gets very "broth-y")

1-2 handfuls of frozen Chicken Breast Strips (I prefer the Tyson brand)

Spring Onions, diced or cut thin w/kitchen scissors
Cilantro (fresh, preferable)
Chili paste with garlic

In a pot set over medium heat, combine broth, seasoning packet and oil packet from noodle soup (but NOT the noodles), chicken strips, spring onions and cilantro. Add chili paste in small amounts to taste - this will add significant "kick", so if your family doesn't like spicy stuff, you can omit this step.

When broth mixture comes to a boil, add rice noodles. Since the rice noodles need very little time to boil and fall apart with over cooking, make sure to cook them only for a few minutes.

You can serve as is, or supplement with some traditional Pho garnish - extra cilantro and spring onion, basil, bean sprouts, fish sauce, Sriracha hot sauce (aka the hot sauce with the rooster on the side).

I'm still perfecting a quick beef version. I'm trying to find some form of beef I can throw in with beef broth that holds up well. Corned beef has worked well so far, but I'm not 100% pleased.

The Thai Kitchen noodles really make this. I'm not sure what's in their seasoning and oil packets, but they help provide the right flavor to the broth, as does lots of fresh cilantro.

At any rate, this probably isn't for the super-picky family. Great for couples who like spicy food, or couples with older kids who like spicy food ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | September 7, 2007 12:07 PM

bevb20678

"Hilary: Blow it out your *ss. The only thing you can make for dinner is reservations. Take your law degree and go find some pro bono work."

By the looks of the Trailer Park fare you serve, I have already done pro bono work for your friends and family.

Have fun at the Demolition Derby!

YLS '85

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 12:07 PM

Oh yeah - a nice fresh cucumber salad served with the Pho works well. Balances out the spice and easy to make.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | September 7, 2007 12:09 PM

here's a quick one that marinates overnight then is thrown on the grill or in the broiler for 15 minutes...

Marinated Flank Steak with Horseradish Sauce

Steak:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
1/2 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 2-pound flank steak

Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream
1-2 Tbs prepared horseradish
2 green onions, chopped

Steak: Combine first 6 ingredients in large ziploc. Add steak, zip, shake and refrigerate overnight.

Sauce: Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season with generous amount of pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Pour marinade into small saucepan and boil 1 minute. Season steak with generous amount of pepper. Grill steak, basting with marinade, about 6 minutes per side for rare. Transfer steak to plate and let stand 5-10 minutes. (Can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead.) Cut steak across grain into thin diagonal slices. Serve warm or at room temperature with horseradish sauce.

Serves 6.

Posted by: twoterrificboys | September 7, 2007 12:17 PM

Here's a couple of "get it on the table in 20 minutes or less" specials:

Amy's favorite (named after my daughter who likes this a lot)

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed/cooked in microwave
1 lb ground lamb
1 tsp cumin (or to taste)
1/2 cup couscous
4 8oz cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup raisins
splash balsamic vinegar

Brown lamb and drain off grease. Add couscous and 3 cans tomato sauce, cumin, raisins and cook until couscous is done (about 5 minutes). Add splash of balsamic and serve. You can also stuff the mixture into red bell peppers, mixing the 4th can of tomato sauce with some more cumin, pour it over the top, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 10 minutes.

Turkey Piccata

1 pkg turkey breast slices, dredged in flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, your choice of dried herbs
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
1 more Tbsp each butter and olive oil

Heat butter and olive oil in skillet. Add turkey breast slices, cook until done on each side 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan, add the remaining butter and olive oil and the lemon juice. Stir together, add the slices and you're done. Capers can be added too.

For the person looking for the pesto recipe to freeze:

4 cups basil leaves
1 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts
splash of lemon juice

Place 1/2 of basil leaves and other ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth, add remainder of basil leaves and blend until desired consistency. I freeze in small Tupperware containers with plastic wrap over the top and enjoy throughout the winter.

Also, Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage, Stove Top stuffing and frozen green beans from TJs is a nice balanced meal - takes about 10 minutes total if you can multi-task it.

The dinner hour (or half hour) is a crazy time. Hope we can all work together to help each other out. Great column idea!

Posted by: jaslevier2005 | September 7, 2007 12:18 PM

bevb20678 -

Mind if I forward your criticism to a friend of mine who owns/runs a very successful commercial bakery?

She always loved cooking, is incredibly good at it....oh, and she has TWO Master's Degrees. One in International Relations and an MBA. She finally got the chance to take over a kitchen and didn't look back.

Higher Education and cooking skills are not mutually exclusive. Hell, some of us learned to be really good cooks in graduate school because we were broke and had to be creative in the kitchen after prowling Farmer's Markets for low-cost ingredients ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | September 7, 2007 12:18 PM

Basically - take a salmon filet, and cover liberally in dill. Placing a small (or large, it's up to you) pat of butter under the salmon, and one on top, seal in a foil packet. Place the packet on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake at 350 or 400 degrees (I never remember which, so I guess each time) bake 30-40 minutes.

I usually steam a green vegetable to go with it, and when I open the foil packet, pour my dill butter sauce over the vegetable for extra flavor.

No prep, no utensils, no clean up.

Posted by: JHBVA | September 7, 2007 12:29 PM

Mess O' Pasta (named b/c dad asked what I was making, told him i was making a mess o' pasta)

1 box pasta (rigatoni, elbows, spirals, whatever), cooked
1 jar of tomato sauce
ground beef or italian sausage or ground turkey or ground chicken, or any meat you want to brown and add
Any veggies you want to sautee and add, onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc.
1 cup of cottage cheese (regular or low fat)
1 8 ox package of cream cheese (regular or low fat)
1 bag of shredded mozzarella
parmasan cheese

while the pasta is cooking, mix the cottage cheese, cream cheese, and about 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese in a big bowl. Brown and drain the meat you are using.

Mix the meat, pasta, sauce and cheese mixture together in the big bowl. Dump it into a casserole dish and top with remaining mozzerella cheese and some parmasan. Bake it for about 20-30 minutes at 350, or until the cheese is nice and melted.

It is very easy, tastes good, and freezes well if you make too much and want to save some for later.

Posted by: cookie75 | September 7, 2007 12:30 PM

jhbeck |

"I do a foil packet salmon that requires almost no prep and no clean-up. And it makes a sauce for your veggies."

Ditto. Then I wash and dry the foil to later fashion into useful objects for the folks in the homeless shelter.

YLS '85

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 12:34 PM

One more before I have to go....

With deep apologies to whomever wrote "The Sounds of Music"

The net is alive with the sound of typing
With letters that have been struck for a thousand years
The net fill my heart with the sound of typing
My heart wants to sing every word it reads

My brain wants to type like the wings of the birds
that rise from the lake to the trees
My keys wants to sing with a rhyme that zings
from the desk to the electric trees
To type without a look so my fingers don't look
like I'm stoned today
To write through the night like a hack who is earning his pay

I go to the blogs when my life is lonely
I know I will read what I've read before
My brain will be blessed with the sound of typing
And I'll blog once more

Posted by: anonthistime | September 7, 2007 12:45 PM

Posted by: bevb20678 | September 7, 2007 11:57 AM

Post-it note on bev's fridge:

"Grate chip on shoulder and blend with margarine to make crumbs for green bean casserole involving canned soup product. Then make doctor's appointment to address high cholesterol problem and investigate treatments for condescension and career insecurity."

pATRICK - LOL. You win my award for best use of recipe exchange class.

Posted by: MN | September 7, 2007 12:56 PM

I'm a big fan of my slow cooker and admit to having a love of macaroni and cheese shared by my one-year-old. A friend gave me this recipe for macaroni & cheese in the slow cooker, which turns out very similarly to a traditional baked macaroni & cheese (no crumb topping, though). Works fine with evaporated skim milk, 2% cheese, and skim milk, but if you splurge on one item get a really good sharp cheddar.

Slow Cooker Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz. dry elbow macaroni , cooked (undercook it by 2 minutes)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
13 oz. evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
chopped onion or onion powder to taste (optional... I use onion powder)

Combine all ingredients except 1 c. cheese in a crock pot. Top with 1 c. cheese. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours. Do not remove lid until mixture has finished cooking.

Posted by: bpatstewart | September 7, 2007 12:58 PM

Hillary got me thinking about one of my pet peeves. I can understand the foil packets for fish because fish falls apart so easily. I use it or the Foreman grill.

But plastic crock pot liners? Special plastic steamer bags? Whole disposable trays for one-time cooking use? The packaging and wastefulness of food products is getting out of hand!

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 12:59 PM

Meesh,

You make a great point. Evidently, for some people, even loading serving dishes in the dishwasher is too much effort. Soon paper plates will be packaged with the plastic crock-pot liners. For consistency's sake, though, we should ask whether it makes sense to drive a Prius yet purchase single serving juice boxes, along with little bitty straws and plastic packaging, and individually packaged servings of snack products. For lunches? sure. But many parents use these single serving products at home when they could easily grab a box and put a portion on a plate, or pour a glass of apple juice or water.

Posted by: MN | September 7, 2007 1:07 PM

MN -- You forgot the Funions.

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 1:07 PM

jlp - I'll post the pesto tonight when I have it on hand.

And Laura- those are great homemade ideas! I did mean ordering in.

Posted by: shandra_lemarath | September 7, 2007 1:14 PM

shandra, no worries -- I knew what you meant, it just reminded me of one of my favorites. Great for parties, too -- the more people, the more combinations you can try. (Unless, of course, they're all kids, in which case they'll all want plain cheese, with the occasional pepperoni as a statistical outlier).

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 1:23 PM

MN, Yarg! Don't get me started on the paper plates. Some friends of mine moved recently and instead of unpacking their dishes first, they used paper plates and plastic utensils for months!! I wanted to strangle them.

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 1:25 PM

Ok, Meesh, guilt attack here. We lost our kitchen for @ 5 mos. during a remodel. Having no kitchen (just a laundry sink). I became very fond of takeout (in containers already -- yay) and paper plates. So how guilty should I feel? :-) If it makes it any better, I don't drink bottled water and reserve juice boxes for on the road -- although I do send Lunchables to school far more often than I should. . . .

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 1:30 PM

Just bought a smoker and we are doing ribs and a whole chicken this weekend. drool, drool.

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 1:31 PM

Meesh,
I am so with you on the liners and steamers. That is something the advertisers and Glad have decided to tell us we need.

I made two batches of pesto this summer so far and they both came out very tasty.

I take a salad spinner full of basil and wash it and spin it.
Roast some pine nuts (about half a sandwich sized bag) for about 10 mins - until brown but not black. Be careful not to eat any as they are addictive and you will not have any left for the pesto.
Grate one triangular wedge of parmesan cheese.
Mince 2-3-4 cloves of garlic depending on your taste.
Throw it all in the food processor and go to town.
Add some olive oil and salt.
Since I freeze mine I add less oil to the mixture because I put a layer of olive on top to keep it from turning brown. Each time you use it mix it up before taking any out. When you are done add another thin layer of oil.

Posted by: KLB_SS_MD | September 7, 2007 1:31 PM

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 01:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with using these. What business is it of yours what they used. Did you fly somewhere on a trip, drive to work, etc. guess we should be mad at you. I hate this environmental holier than thou attitude.

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 1:37 PM

laura

"although I do send Lunchables to school far more often than I should. . . . "

Guess I am in the doghouse. Lunchables this week in my 'hood on sale w/coupon were
60 cents per unit. Stocked up for my personal use.

HLS '85

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 1:43 PM

HLS '85

Posted by: hillary | September 7, 2007 01:43 PM
__________________________

YLS '85

Posted by: hillary | September 7, 2007 12:34 PM

______________________________

Oops!

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 7, 2007 1:48 PM

ArmyBrat

"Oops!"

Right - I was on the phone with my friend/rival, who is HLS '85.

YSL '85

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 2:00 PM

I love this topic-thanks for all of the great recipes! My contribution is not a dinner idea because I snack far more often than I eat regular meals (and far more often than I should admit). But it's a good snack:

Indian Roasted chickpeas:
1-2 cans garbanzo beans (I usually use 3-4 because everyone loves them and they really shrink up in the oven)

Aluminum foil in a large pan. Coat the bottom of the aluminum foil and chick peas lightly with Pam spray or olive oil.

Add lots of spices in 'to taste' amounts: I use salt, pepper, curry powder (lots), cumin, garam masala, garlic powder and onion powder.

Mix all together and spread out in one single layer (this is the important part-if they clump together they'll be mushy, not roasted).

Roast at 400 F for 20-30 minutes.

As I said, this is the pseudo-Indian varietal. But you could probably do all kinds: spicy chile powder, etc.

They are really great and easy hand-food for kids!

Posted by: CreamOfTheCrop | September 7, 2007 2:08 PM

I'm a single person but terribly lazy and I'm saddled with a long commute, so cooking is of the "what's fast and easy" variety. I like stir-fry, and you can make a yummy sauce with peanut butter thinned with a little ramen noodle broth. Toss in some spices (ginger or five-spice, pinch of chili for heat), serve with ramen and call it done. More adult palates (or palates attached to less lazy bodies) might prefer udon noodles; whole-wheat spaghetti works if udon isn't available/convenient.

Dessert, however... and the kids can help with this one.

Ice Cream Pie

Prepared chocolate-cookie pie crust
2 pints of your favorite ice cream flavor(s)
Jarred hot fudge or other topping
Whipped topping, optional

Let the ice cream soften up a bit, enough that you can scoop it out and spread it without destroying the pie crust. The jarred sauce should be at room temperature, as well.

Scoop out the ice cream and spread it in a layer (or two) in the pie crust. Top with the topping, smoothed into a layer. Return to freezer to firm up.

Cut with a hot knife and serve. Whipped topping optional, but usually welcome!

Posted by: northgs | September 7, 2007 2:27 PM

Non-stop reading and drooling over recipes is BAD!

"Ice Cream Pie

Prepared chocolate-cookie pie crust
2 pints of your favorite ice cream flavor(s)
Jarred hot fudge or other topping
Whipped topping, optional"

Whipped topping, optional in my house is the same as "sex, optional".

OK, I've wolfed down all this stuff. Yum! Now what?

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 2:39 PM

pATRICK, you can be mad at me if you want. I'm making 3 trips to MD from NC for a wedding! That's a lot of gas.

I certainly don't feel holier than most people. We use paper towels, water our lawn, etc. It just bugs me when people are wasteful simply because they're lazy. I guess I just don't like lazy people.

And, as if it needed to be written, you and I have very different opinions of wrong and right. It's your opinion that there's "nothing wrong" with paper plates, but it's not a fact.

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 2:53 PM

"Whipped topping, optional in my house is the same as "sex, optional".

OK, I've wolfed down all this stuff. Yum! Now what?"

I dunno, Hillary, I think your post has its own good answer to that question!

Here's my contribution, lame but timely in light of the guy in CO who got some lung disease from the chemicals in microwave popcorn:

Take 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
Pour into plain brown paper lunch bag
Fold top over a few times
Microwave until the popping slows to two to three seconds between pops

Add melted butter, margarine or whatever else you like.

No fuss! No mess! No weird chemicals to inhale! Better flavor! Plus, Meesh, you can reuse the brown paper bag at least three or four times before it gets too beat up, I have lost track how many times we use one before we toss it.

I like to put a little garlic powder and lemon pepper in the melted butter, very tasty.

Posted by: LizaBean | September 7, 2007 2:54 PM

Another guac recipe:

Into a mini food processor toss: a bunch of cilantro (rinse well and tear the top half off the bunches you get in the store), 2 jalapenos (this is the HOT version), the juice of 2-3 limes, 2 cloves of garlic, half an onion. Chop finely. Take 4 avocados, cut in half, remove pits, cube while in skin, scoop out into a bowl. Mix it all together with a wooden spoon, leaving some chunks.

For a nice vegetarian dinner, serve on top of Spicy Black Bean burgers on a toasted bun. Yum.

I can't really support Amish markets. They run puppy farms. I'll check out Whole Foods and some Asian markets.

Meesh- We've recently gone paper free in our kitchen. We bought a big box of rags. We keep them under the sink in one of those things you stick to the inside of your cabinets meant for plastic grocery bags. We just put them in a little bucket on the counter when their dirty and throw them in with the wash. We've been using the same roll of paper towels for a couple of months. We mostly use them for cleaning up copious amounts of cat vomit. We use the rags for everything. We also reuse plastic grocery bags for dirty diapers and cat poop. It's environmentally not ideal, but we have to put poop somewhere.

pATRICK- I'm from TX. I know all about your attitude. I'm not OK with being environmentally irresponsible out of stubbornness. There's nothing wrong with reduce, reuse, recycle. Why not just litter? What's it matter if we just throw all of our garbage out into the streets?

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 3:09 PM

Yep you're right and conversely it is not a fact that using them is wrong. It is the what you do is wrong but what I do is ok that bugs me about the environmental people. Which you probably are not one of of.

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 3:10 PM

No. but it costs energy to wash plates too. I said nothing about littering. Because I am from TX is irrelevant. It's just the nature of the environmental holier than thou mentality that steams me. Kind of like those protesters who scream 'no blood for oil and then get in their imported cars and drive 100-200 miles home after their protesting.. BTW I recycle every week and think it is a good idea.

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 3:14 PM

pATRICK- It steams me that there are people hell-bent on NOT recycling or conserving in any way. They think environmentalism is a stupid waste of time cooked up by Al Gore.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 3:21 PM

Patrick, you never tire of being irritated by the fact that people have values that you don't, do you? You are holier than thou on a number of issues, this just isn't one of them. Get over it already.

Posted by: LizaBean | September 7, 2007 3:29 PM

LizaBean, thanks for the popping corn tip! My husband eats his weight in popcorn, so this is a useful hint.

And thanks all for the guacamole recipes. Avocados may be world's most perfect food.

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 3:30 PM

Meesh, couldn't agree more about avocados! They make just about everything better.

Posted by: LizaBean | September 7, 2007 3:32 PM

Now a serious question, pATRICK.

Is there any way to smoke chicken using my propane gas grill? Your mention of smoked chicken really did make me drool.

A great memory I have is of my dad and our neighbor having a competition to see who could put the grill away last. I have a picture of my dad grilling in snow. I plan to be the same way! Never give up! Never surrender!

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 3:35 PM

well, so this is SO far at the end, that it may not get read/made...but here is our "wednesday" standby...

Chicken/Pasta:

1. Pasta of choice, cook to package directions

2. Sauce:
Cut to bite-size pieces 1 chicken breast per 2 people eating (roughly) and marinade in balsalmic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Can be done in morning before leaving house. Cook the chicken in a large skillet (strained from marinade). When cooked through, add 1 jar of favorite pasta sauce, toss with pasta and enjoy!

Posted by: jenna.moritz | September 7, 2007 3:36 PM

Meesh, on the smoking, I've done this once or twice, and it worked ok -- not as good as the real thing, but ok. Buy a disposable (sorry!!) tinfoil pie tin. Soak wood chips in water while you're getting the grill ready. Preheat one-half of your grill. Put a single layer of wood chips on the pie tin. Place the pie tin over the flames, place your food on the opposite side of the grill, and close lid. Keep the temperature as low as possible. Check every 30 mins-1 hr to see if you need to replace the wood chips. Note: if you have a single burner grill, just put the food as far away from the flame as possible -- it'll cook a lot faster and not be as tender/smoky, but you'll at least get some smoke flavor in there.

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 3:46 PM

"Buy a disposable (sorry!!) tinfoil pie tin. "

Send the used tinfoil pans to me. We use them in our community garden.

Please ship to:

L. McGillicuddy
623 E. 68th St
New York, NY

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 3:54 PM

Love the popcorn tip! I use that method because I'm leery of all the chemical goop in the commercial products. I just pour the melted butter into the paper bag, add a pinch of salt and sugar, and shake vigorously. Then I eat out of the bag - no dishes!

Another lazy baking tip: pretty much any scratch chocolate chip cookie recipe can be baked in a 9x13 pan to make bar cookies. About 45 minutes at 350, I think, and you don't have the hassle of washing a bunch of cookie sheets, or jumping up every 10 minutes to pull a sheet out of the oven. The bars also pack neatly for shipping to college students or others away from home.

Posted by: northgs | September 7, 2007 4:00 PM

Posted by: Meesh | September 7, 2007 03:35 PM

Good we are back to talking about serious issues-barbecuing! I don't think you can properly smoke anything in a grill. I tried and it was terrible. I bought a smoker after watching someone smoke somethings on the food channel. I would encourage you to buy one too. I bought an electric one, which is really cheating but who cares. Ribs tomorrow, whole chicken on sunday. Good luck!

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 4:01 PM

"L. McGillicuddy"

HLS '85?

Posted by: LizaBean | September 7, 2007 4:02 PM

"L. McGillicuddy"

HLS '85?

Honorary...

Posted by: hillary1 | September 7, 2007 4:05 PM

Sandra Lee can cook for me anytime.......................

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 4:06 PM

pATRICK- Yuck. Her food is NASTY. I once saw her put canned cherries on some turkey thing. They looked like bloated ticks. That was the last I ever watched her show.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 4:09 PM

And the guys get all the Food TV eye candy. All us ladies have is the memory of Tyler Florence before he became so puffy.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 4:10 PM

"I bought an electric one, which is really cheating but who cares."

Me too! So much easier not to have to worry about maintaining an even temperature! Unfortunately, I totally killed my first attempt at ribs -- the pork butt was MUCH more forgiving on cooking time.

Posted by: laura33 | September 7, 2007 4:12 PM

Not true! I watch her and like what she cooks. maybe she had an off night. Bloated ticks? that's funny. You must have a tender constitution.

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 4:17 PM

"Please ship to:

L. McGillicuddy
623 E. 68th St
New York, NY"

They're gonna get wet!

(See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043208/trivia if you don't get the joke.)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 7, 2007 4:21 PM

We never put our grill away. We grill year round, even when we lived in Pittsburgh. Granted in late January, I preferred to use the heat to warm the house, but there were times when a grilled steak had to be eaten (to match the wine of course...) even in the dead of winter.

Posted by: dotted_1 | September 7, 2007 4:21 PM

"You must have a tender constitution."

Well, except for the love of eating bunnies. I think cooked and/or softened, canned fruit is DREADFUL. It's all so SLIMY. Gag. I have texture issues. Apples and pears are OK cooked, but not if the skin is on.

Posted by: atb2 | September 7, 2007 4:23 PM

Chicken Cacciatore

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 bell peppers, sliced (I usually use 1 green and 1 red)
1 onion, sliced
**to make it even easier, you can just use a package of frozen peppers and onions**
14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
garlic
Italian seasoning
pasta
olive oil

Cook the chicken in olive oil in a large pan, until the chicken is all white on the outside. Remove chicken and place on paper towels to drain.

Cook the onions, peppers, and garlic in the same pan until soft.

Return chicken to pan and add tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and cook on medium for about 20 minutes.

Cook pasta according to box directions.

Serve chicken over pasta. Sprinkle some fresh shredded parmesan cheese over it if you like.

Posted by: Wioleta | September 7, 2007 4:38 PM

"The pork butt was much more forgiving" - now there's something you don't read every day here!

Posted by: LizaBean | September 7, 2007 4:38 PM

"Gag. I have texture issues"

Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 4:42 PM

BTW it's friday afternoon. Is the On Balance bar open?

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 4:44 PM

pATRICK, due to the heat, it is strictly beer for me.

Posted by: dotted_1 | September 7, 2007 5:00 PM

Soon. A Long Island Iced Tea is first up in the batting order. It's been that kind of a week. :-)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 7, 2007 5:02 PM

I had a mai tai at the local thai restaurant earlier this week. The bar said it had more alcohol than a LI Iced Tea. I was shocked! I only had one.

Posted by: dotted_1 | September 7, 2007 5:06 PM

"A Long Island Iced Tea is first up in the batting order. It's been that kind of a week. :-)"

Man, do I hear that. Though I'm thinking gin martini with extra olives. Oh man that sounds good, that's so unfair. It's only 3:20 here and not a good martini bar in sight.

Posted by: LizaBean | September 7, 2007 5:20 PM

Have a nice weekend, coronas and smoked ribs await me!

Posted by: pATRICK | September 7, 2007 5:43 PM

Hello from LA!

Pepperjade -- Our vegetarian babysitter doesn't EAT the chicken! That's what makes it so funny that she perfected the recipe.

And my Betty Crocker cookies will defeat any other chocolate chip cookies you can come up with. I have had contests (judged by kids) with other moms and mine are the best. Yummmm!

Posted by: leslie4 | September 7, 2007 7:36 PM

But Frieda's "Ants on a Log" beats all recipes!

Posted by: Fred | September 7, 2007 10:28 PM

Abuelita's Chicken Soup
This recipe comes from the Rock Corral Ranch in Tumacacori, AZ. It's easy
to make and has a flavor "to die for." Adapted from "The Spirit of the
West" cookbook by Beverly Cox.
Makes plenty of leftovers; freezes well.

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
1 T plus 1/3 to 1/2 C New Mexico, Dixon, or Rio Tejas chile powder
1 t salt
8 Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (or canned tomatoes)
1 1/2 T minced garlic
3 C tender fresh spinach, washed and cut into fine shreds
1 C minced cilantro
8 C chicken broth
1/2 C crumbled feta cheese
1/3 C (or more) vermicelli or capellini pasta, broken into short lengths
Juice of 1 lime or Meyer lemon

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Rub a little of the oil over the chicken breasts, then sprinkle both sides
with the 1 T chile powder and the salt.
Heat a nonstick frying pan with the remaining oil. Add the chicken and
brown on both sides for a couple of minutes.
Combine the tomatoes, garlic, spinach, cilantro, the remaining 1/3 to 1/2
cup chile powder, 2 cups of the broth, and the feta in a large glass baking
dish. Bury the chicken breasts under this mixture. Cover with foil and
bake for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken and, when it is cool enough to
handle, shred the meat.
Cook the pasta in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain.
Pour the remaining chicken broth into a large saucepan. Add the
tomato-chile mixture and all the precious juices from the baking dish.
Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and
the pasta. Squeeze in the lime or lemon juice.
Ladle into bowls and accompany with tortillas.
Serves 6.

Per serving: 245 calories, 27 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 7g fat (2 g
saturated), 58 mg cholesterol, 540 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.

Posted by: kkw5g | September 10, 2007 1:51 PM