Rerun of Your Choice

Today is Columbus Day, a holiday for some, and a holiday for On Balance.

So please go check out the On Balance archives, where nearly 400 white hot discussions are waiting for you.

Remember We've Raised a 'Me' Generation? The Opt-Out Myth? Rally for Breast-Feeding Rights? To Keep or Not Keep Your Maiden Name? People of Cleavage?

We've got a lot of gems in the On Balance archives. Pick your favorite and tell us all about it.

See you tomorrow!

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  October 8, 2007; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Conflicts
Previous: Moving Truck in the Driveway | Next: From Single Girl to Supermom

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

First!

Sharks don't get holidays. But then allegedly sharks don't get cancer!

Posted by: nonamehere | October 8, 2007 7:54 AM

Hi everyone...Please note that we are still having problems with posting comments. The problem: you get a nice comment box and it looks like you can post a comment, but the program "eats" your comment.

So, the first time you post, you must click on the red "Click Here to Post a Comment." Then you can post.

Sorry -- washpost is trying to fix this but tech folks get holidays too!

Posted by: leslie4 | October 8, 2007 8:50 AM

Of course today I have almost no work to do!

My favorites were the bad boss/bad employee gripe-fest, the discussions of hair and shoes, the best vacation memory, and the discussion on whether to keep your maiden-name. Can you tell I like to keep it lighthearted?

Because I have time today, I'll probably read through the "Pets and Kids" discussion, which I missed, and that will probably be another favorite. Could there be a day to talk about our pets (says the childless poster)? I bet lots of people have great stories about their childhood pets and their kids' pets.

Posted by: Meesh | October 8, 2007 8:53 AM

Trying this again...

Since it's quiet, maybe someone can point me in the direction to the discussion on what happened to "Father of 4"? Or just tell me here.

Posted by: DLC1973 | October 8, 2007 8:57 AM

I took off from work to spend with DS, who has off from school. He's sleeping now. Had to take the younger one to school (he's on a different calendar and had off the last two weeks).
So, now I'm here.

Posted by: atlmom1234 | October 8, 2007 9:05 AM

Father of 4 is alive and well. He no longer uses that nom du blog, but, if you "listen", you can frequently hear his voice.

Posted by: gcoward | October 8, 2007 9:49 AM

Meesh: I had few pets growing up - a few hamsters at different times. A favorite story is one I wasn't even there for: my sisters had hamsters and they had babies, so they had A LOT, and then apparently they escaped at some point, so supposedly a bunch of kids from the neighborhood were helping my sisters to find them, as mom was none too happy.

I begged my parents for a dog forever, and they always said no. They told me I wouldn't take care of it, which I thought was unfair, because they had nothing to base that on. And because the real reason was that my mom and my sister were deathly allergic to everything.

We now have a dog. DH had a dog when I met him. We got another dog about 4 1/2 years ago - we were fostering until a 'real' home could be found. I guess he's ours now :). DHs dog passed about a year ago, and my then 4 YO was very touched by it - still brings her up, refers to her as a member of the family, etc. It's very sweet.

Now, DH wants another dog - the one we have is awesome, but he wants one for some protection. I'm not so sure, as we can hardly bathe and take care of the one we have now.

Posted by: atlmom1234 | October 8, 2007 10:11 AM

That's a great story about the hamsters. my brother's snakes were constantly getting out of their cages and we'd have to search for them (they were usually coiled around pipes in the basement).

Yeah, I don't think we could handle a third dog because then we'd be outnumbered. If our dogs were better trained, maybe. But the two of them require our constant attention.

BTW, my favorite quote from the "Pets and Parenthood" discussion is this:

"Well, of course, children are more important that pets. Let's not be ridiculous. Having said that, give me a good dog any old day over a kid.
Posted by: Gary Russell | November 17, 2006 08:48 AM"

Posted by: Meesh | October 8, 2007 10:37 AM

Posted by: gcoward | October 8, 2007 09:49 AM

Thanks...From a few posts a couple of weeks ago, it sounded like he had died. Yikes! Glad he's alive and well.

Posted by: DLC1973 | October 8, 2007 10:59 AM

The maiden name conversation was before I started following OB. But, yikes, tons of posts. It reminded me of a former boyfriend who said about me wanting to keep my surname, "It is just not nice. I don't want people to think that we have one of those American marriages where the husband and wife don't love each other."

Posted by: MaryL | October 8, 2007 11:44 AM

"It reminded me of a former boyfriend who said about me wanting to keep my surname, 'It is just not nice. I don't want people to think that we have one of those American marriages where the husband and wife don't love each other.'"

Posted by: MaryL | October 8, 2007 11:44 AM

That would be one of many good reasons why he's an EX-boyfriend.

Posted by: gcoward | October 8, 2007 12:32 PM

oh, snakes as pets! my mom was a very adventurous pet owner. we had a skunk once, to give you an idea. my brother and i had snakes for several years. naturally they always got out of their cages, sometimes for months. i once found mine coiled under my covers at the bottom of my bed. that was IT for me --no more snakes.

Posted by: leslie4 | October 8, 2007 1:29 PM

My favorite column was of course, the sing a long!

Posted by: Songster | October 8, 2007 2:16 PM

To the Tune of "I Hear You Knocking."

You went away for Columbus Day a few hours ago
Now no one posting, it's sure a bore
I want you writing
But you can't comment
I need you writing
Go back to who you been

I begged you not to go but you said goodbye
Now you're not telling me any lies
I need you blogging
But you can't log in
I want you blogging
Go back and try again

You better get back to where you used to be
'Cause a day without snark ain't good for me
I hear you writing
But you can't log in
I hear you typing
Go back and begin again

I told you way back in '02
That I would read exclusively you
I love your writing
You can't give up
I need your comments
start back where you've been

Posted by: Songster | October 8, 2007 2:18 PM