On Balance Potluck

Two weeks ago we dissected potluck pros, cons and protocols. The discussion got an idea cooking: Let's have our own potluck.

No need to RSVP, since rsvp-ing for a potluck defeats the simplicity of an easy way to get-together. But tell us: Where should we go? What should we bring? Can we serve hootch online? (This may violate Wash Post policies; I'd better check.) Should we include kids or not? Spouses? Mothers-in-law? I think so -- the more the better and I'd love to see everyone's families. I call dessert -- my pseudo-homemade chocolate chip cookies that taste better than made-from-scratch.

What will you bring?

Note: On Balance has a new platform for our widget. If you downloaded the On Balance widget to your site before yesterday, it may not work for much longer, so you should grab the new one using the widget link below.

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  November 2, 2007; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: The Worst Things to Say | Next: Queen Bees at Work

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I wonder: who will bring the virtual flan? and who will be the first to serve up steaming bowls of sanctimony?

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 2, 2007 7:37 AM

Also -- FIRST!!

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 2, 2007 7:46 AM

WorkingMomX -- First at the potluck has to set up all the chairs.

Posted by: leslie4 | November 2, 2007 7:50 AM

I will bring terse and succinct. Some one else will have to bring the bombast and pontification!

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 7:52 AM

Hey, I'll do all the setup you want, Leslie. It's the cleanup I loathe. Plus I plan to be completely pissed on all the "hootch"!

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 2, 2007 7:53 AM

I'll bring the tortellini salad and a bottle of vodka. Who's bringing mixers?

And of course spouses should be invited -- someone has to be the designated driver!

Posted by: newsahm | November 2, 2007 8:08 AM

I'll grill the tubesteaks and bloodmuffins!

Posted by: DandyLion | November 2, 2007 8:13 AM

I'll ask offensive questions, like:

Where are you from? (too personal)
What do you do? (implies only working people have worth)
Do you have kids? (implies only those who reproduce are of value)
How about those Skins? (sexist if directed to a man or implies support of barbaric practices)

I await the whining. I'm now officially on chitty's team.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 8:14 AM

Oh, and I miss Baba. I'm also on its team.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 8:15 AM

I'm in charge of tangentially-related jokes that nobody gets and boring stories about family members.

(It'll be good practice; I'm going to Boston tomorrow for a 100th birthday party of a cousin. See, I told you I had boring family stories covered.)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | November 2, 2007 8:20 AM

No, no, atb, you need to ask questions like:

To SAHPs

What do you DO all day?
Don't you miss the adult interaction?
How does it feel to be a kept man/woman?

and to WPs

Don't you miss your kids when you're at work?
Why would you have kids if you don't want to raise them?

And to both

You're going to regret your choices someday.

Come on, a little controversy here!

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 2, 2007 8:26 AM

OT PSA by Fred

is the website of The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) is a non-profit organization affiliated with the National Association of State Treasurers.

This is where you can check (for free) if you have any unclaimed property (money!) which a state is holding in your name.

I found a tidy sum of money that the state of Illinois has in my late father's name even thought we have not lived there since 1956!

My application to receive the money is already in the mail. I will be happy until the "Frieda Tax" is assessed.

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 8:31 AM

Where are you from? (too personal)
What do you do? (implies only working people have worth)
Do you have kids? (implies only those who reproduce are of value)

1. from my sainted mother
2. as little as possible
3. Sometimes I even actually admit they are mine
4. Skins? Yes, I have skin covering all my body

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 8:34 AM

Following Fred's lead - this is too good an opportunity to pass up :-)

Where are you from?
- Earth. Why, where are you from?
What do you do?
- As little as possible (when Fred's right, he's right)
Do you have kids?
- I have no baby goats. I have a dog. I've had fish, cats, parakeets, ferrets, ducks, hamsters and guinea pigs in the past, but I don't believe I've ever had a baby goat.
How about those Skins?
- I always try to be on the Shirts. Me as a "Skin" is just not a pretty sight.

(Tangentially-related jokes that nobody gets or thinks is funny? Check.)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | November 2, 2007 8:50 AM

I am in for a healthy helping of liberal outrage and a side-order of 'GET-OUT-TO-VOTE-FOR-VIRGINIA-DEMOCRATS-ON-TUESDAY'.

Posted by: ProudPapa15 | November 2, 2007 8:50 AM

See? You don't have to be an offended crybaby when someone asks a question. You should try it sometime. It's liberating to cease being a victim. (Am I channelling chitty yet? Chitty, please come back me up here.)

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 9:02 AM

I may even have to bring the FQOTD out of retirement if this gets much better today!

There is already a tie for first place!

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 9:06 AM

I'll bring the apple cake, some Steeplechase Red wine, and the kids.

MattinAberdeen has to wear the i>u shirt, however.

Posted by: maryland_mother | November 2, 2007 9:07 AM

Sorry, I'll bring the white hots too.

Pony rides? Do we need a pony ride? I can load up a beast or two.

Hmm, as this is a virtual party, I would prefer a great big jumping pillow instead of a moon bounce. That way all the adults can play too!

Posted by: maryland_mother | November 2, 2007 9:11 AM

Wait, shouldn't someone be inviting the "Save the Hymen" folks?

What's a big party without a photo op? We are going to have this at the Washington Post, right?

For that, I'll provide the sponge candy and the dark espresso chocolate truffles.

I think we'll need a portable defibrillator. KLBSS, I think that's YOUR cue!

Posted by: maryland_mother | November 2, 2007 9:14 AM

Newsahm -- is the vodka for sharing? i have a mental picture of you walking around swigging the bottle by yourself. which would really make my day -- to see at least one parent who didn't care what everyone else thought of her!

Posted by: leslie4 | November 2, 2007 9:15 AM

"Tangentially-related jokes that nobody gets or thinks is funny? Check"

Army Brat

Only a Purdon't man would think that is funny!

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 9:18 AM

I'll come too, on the following conditions:

1) don't ask me to play babysitter for any kids present
2) please don't ask me if when boyfriend and I are getting married; and no, for the last time, we don't live together. You know good and well that my family and beliefs don't allow for cohabitating.
3) don't tell me that I'm too young to think about buying a house.
4) last but not least, please don't chide me for taking a break from grad school.

That said, I'll bring the mixers, a rice-based side dish and a dessert. Yes, of course I'm going to make it myself from scratch. Just because I'm 23 doesn't mean I can't cook.

Posted by: Strawberry23 | November 2, 2007 9:21 AM

I will supply the wasabi soy sauce almonds and margaritas with a side of snide.

Posted by: KLB_SS_MD | November 2, 2007 9:27 AM

I will bring what all men bring- either ice or a twelve pack of soft drinks-LOL

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 9:36 AM

Oh and a hand grenade, just in case......;)

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 9:37 AM

An ON BALANCE potluck would make an illegal cage fight seem like a miss manners etiquette course.....

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 9:41 AM

Can I pretty please bring my UNC-blue snobbery? How about my Steeler pride?

I'm at the head of the line for the virtual hooch, but you knew that. Though I will also be in line for the wasabi nuts with KLB...after all, I can virtually be in line in multiple places.

I would love to chat up pATRICK, Fred, MN, KLB, take a gander at scarry's new baby...

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 9:47 AM

OOHHHH! Fist fights! Take it to the cage, crybabies.

SAHM vs. WOHM
breast vs bottle feeders
childed vs. non-childed

Scarry will take you ALL.

----------------------------------------

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 9:56 AM

scarry had the baby??? Geez, I leave town for a week and miss all the fun. Tell, tell! She BETTER bring him/her to the potluck!

I'll bring the port. But not the good stuff. :-) And some leftover cupcakes from my son's birthday party (canNOT believe he's two today!).

Posted by: laura33 | November 2, 2007 10:13 AM

LESLIE could bring a slideshow of IT's obscenity posts for laughs...

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:18 AM

dotted_1, you can bring all the UNC-blue attitude you want, as long as you bring some barbeque to go with it!

How 'bout them 'Skins? This Giants fan thinks they're doing just fine...

I'll bring the paper products - trust me, it's the safest option.

Posted by: northgs | November 2, 2007 10:28 AM

pATRICK you've outdone yourself this time. I WILL bring the Top 10 On Balance Obscenity Posts from the JunkD file.

Posted by: leslie4 | November 2, 2007 10:29 AM

I could bring myself, but I wouldn't want to scare the heck out of pATRICK. Of course, I could just appear in the background, and you would have to guess which one is the crazy "IT".

Posted by: antipATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:30 AM

Who is bringing Father of 4? That's all we really need for a good party.

Posted by: anonfornow | November 2, 2007 10:32 AM

Posted by: antipATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:30 AM

Posted by: anonfornow | November 2, 2007 10:34 AM

"that's easy. you are the man with the foul mouth standing next to atb and listening to her whine about how everyone else is a whiner."

And you're the loser with nothing funny to say! Just as easy.

Posted by: antipATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:37 AM

I'll get some middle schoolers from Maine to bring condoms (see On Parenting blog), which we can fill up with water for a water balloon fight.

Posted by: anne.saunders | November 2, 2007 10:39 AM

I'll be bringing 10 lbs of leftover Halloween candy, and a newbies sense of outrage when the cage fights start...

Posted by: kate07 | November 2, 2007 10:40 AM

ATB and IT are the same people. Easily identified by the smell of rotting flesh that they give off......

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:40 AM

atb2-CORRECTION

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:41 AM

anonfornow, bringing it over to fun day. Can't leave it behind. Got a little bee in her bonnet.

Baba- Welcome back! I really hope your posts are funny today. I've decided to join you and chitty.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 10:42 AM

"Can I pretty please bring my UNC-blue snobbery?"

dotted, After consuming 18 ounces or so of hootch out of my Duke blue go-cup, your Carolina blue snobbery will even seem appealing, LOL! We'll steer clear of anyone who arrives in a minivan.

I'll bring good pistachios, and cheap crackers along with some port wine pasteurized, processed cheese food product in a ball. Oh, and I'll bring BBQ pork sandwiches for as many attendees who want them, along with special-hot Western North Carolina BBQ sauce.

Posted by: MN | November 2, 2007 10:44 AM

""Newsahm -- is the vodka for sharing? i have a mental picture of you walking around swigging the bottle by yourself"

Nah, I'll share. I can always swig from my private flask. Hmm. Maybe we'll need two bottles...

Posted by: newsahm | November 2, 2007 10:46 AM

no, pATRICK, it's just me. For some reason WaPo made me resign up and I couldn't use atb. Some glitch. I'm defecting. I'm over the constant topic of questions that offend people, hence my first post today listing "offensive" questions. This blog is making me unbalanced, har har. It's just so negative, a constant list of complaints. So, I've been mocking the sensitivities while I count my blessings. Maybe with Thanksgiving around the corner we will have a chance to re-examine how good most of us have it.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 10:51 AM

ATB/ATB2 that's too bad. You seemed like a normal person to me. IT on the other hand is unhinged. Anyone whe writes lierally dozens of obscene posts and accuses posters of threatening their child is to be avoided at all costs. Welcoming such a person makes YOU seem unhinged, which from the posts I have read, you don't appear to be.

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 10:56 AM

Okay, food products. I'm making a quick detour back to the old home in Munich first - I'll be bringing the AugustinerBrau and wurst mit semmel.

And to further international relations, I'll bring a German attitude about the horse-secretions that pass for American beer!

pATRICK and others can reciprocate with an attitude about food products from "old Europe."

Cage match!

Posted by: ArmyBrat | November 2, 2007 10:56 AM

Fred,

The parties about to turn into high-cholestrol hell. Save us from German food. Please, please bring shrimp po boys and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 11:01 AM

Fred,

This potluck is about to turn into a virtual high-cholestrol, artery-clogging nightmare. Save us from German food. Please, please bring shrimp po boys and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 11:01 AM

pATRICK- It has nothing to do with not being normal. I'm just bored of the same complaints day after day. OK, supporting Baba may be a little overboard, but I'm really starting to appreciate chitty. Gutless Coward lost it the other day, so now it's just chitty.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 11:04 AM

UGG, German food? Sausage, sauerkraut. With a touch of world domination thrown in? No thanks

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 11:15 AM

ATB2.I understand. The whining can get annoying.

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 11:16 AM

Fred save you from Brats and (real) Beer! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Fred is going over to hang with Army Brat!

After all, Fred's grandfather did graduate from Perdon't!

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 11:21 AM

AB, can you save a brat for me? Or, better yet, grab a me a couple of weisswurst? Yuuuuummmm.

Posted by: laura33 | November 2, 2007 11:21 AM

I think I'm over this blog. It's so whiny.
Posted by: atb2 | November 1, 2007 09:00 AM

And with that, bite me, you bunch of whiny crybabies.

Posted by: atb2 | November 1, 2007 05:38 PM

I await the whining.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 08:14 AM

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 10:51 AM

Wake me up when the whining about whiners is over. It's hard to enjoy the hootch with the negative yammering.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 11:32 AM

"We'll steer clear of anyone who arrives in a minivan."

Well, MN,

Hula Girl was going to come and entertain us. And you know that Hula Girl only rides in The Creepy Van (tm).

Maybe you want to reconsider your statement?

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 11:46 AM

I'll bring the homemade cupcakes with homemade buttercreme icing, a large dish of my grandmother's famous bourbon beans, and some of those 'creepy chips and dip' that always end up at the end of the table at the potluck and no one eats. Who brings whole grain tostada chips and hummus-like dip covered in (god I hope it's) olive oil and chives to a potluck full of carnivores?

Posted by: RebeccainAR | November 2, 2007 11:51 AM

what's with the negativity about minivans? I drive a 1999 Honda CRV and now with our infant, it is getting to be a very tight squeeze in the back seat. It takes almost five minutes to wrestle the seat belt over my pre-schooler in his booster and between his booster seat and her the infant car seat. I suppose it would be easier if she weren't in the middle, but I understand it is much safer there, especially as we don't have side impact air bags.

Anyone happy with their ride?

Posted by: baby-work | November 2, 2007 11:53 AM

Fred Fred Fred---you just know the creepy van (tm) is not considered to be a minivan

all-MN and I declared long ago to be against mini-vans in principle during one, of many, car discussions on this blog

Duke go-cups? MN, are you crying in your beer again? he he he

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 11:56 AM

Specifically, is anyone happy with their whels that also has a spouse, two kids, and would like to have room in the vehicle for at least one friend? Or is there a device that well somehow make buckling the seatbeat on the booster seat easier?

Posted by: baby-work | November 2, 2007 11:57 AM

what's with the negativity about minivans

Besides the fact that they are soul killing agents of satan? That they are the death of any sense of style or automotive excitement? That as a man you should wave goodbye to your testicles each morning as you drive away? (Creepy vans excluded which are cool in their own creepy way)

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 11:57 AM

By the way, where is the locale of our virtual pot luck? In the cave? In the JunkD folder (nahhhhhh...)?

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 11:58 AM

Dotted,

OK, Hula Girl will not ride in my car becasue she says that the color clashes with her skirt.

She says the Creepy Van (tm) matches the color of her eyes! Don't know how she knows that because I don't even know the color.

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 12:06 PM

I'll bring some quiche with a side of hypocrisy; I plan to sneer at anyone who drives up in a vehicle less fuel efficient than mine. That can only go on so long, so I'll have to think of some other rude behaviors (besides the ones that come naturally to me of course). Maybe I'll ask husband's of SAHM's if they realized they've been scammed yet by their loafing wives!

Posted by: _Miles | November 2, 2007 12:22 PM

I'll bring a bag of corn chips. Can't wait to check out Chitty's beandip and Emily's spinach artichoke dip!

Posted by: GutlessCoward | November 2, 2007 12:25 PM

2 days and 4 posts vs. months and months of this blog. I think I did pretty good to last this long without breaking.

This blog really does need alcohol. The happy will be jovial and possibly try to hug everyone, the discontent will weep into their cocktails and wail to the heavens, the billigerent will take it out in the cages, the serious will attempt to make sense of the whole mess, the holier-than-thou will claim they hold their alcohol better than anyone else, the teetotalers will look on disapprovingly, the pregnant will look on longingly. Bring on the tequila shots. Let the truth shine through.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 12:27 PM

LOL!

---------------------------------

Emily's spinach artichoke dip

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 12:28 PM

Can't wait to check out Chitty's beandip and Emily's spinach artichoke dip!

I can wait, if you catch my drift......

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 12:36 PM

I'll bring the SAHM survivial kit:

20 valium
1 flask of vodka
Maury Povitch Show - Who's the Daddy? DVD

Posted by: moxiemom1 | November 2, 2007 12:48 PM

Now we know why moxiemom seems so at peace...

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 12:49 PM

lol atb2!

Posted by: moxiemom1 | November 2, 2007 12:52 PM

atb2 wrote: "the teetotalers will look on disapprovingly"

Clearly, recovering alcoholics have no place in atb2's universe, or at least are unworthy of her/his respect, only of mass negative stereotyping.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 12:56 PM

"Can we serve hootch online?"

Posted by Leslie Morgan Steiner '87 | November 2, 2007; 7:00 AM ET

A party! Where do we find the first party in Scripture? Answer: the patriarch Abraham threw a big party for his baby son, Isaac:

Genesis 21:8. "And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned."

And where did they get the food, hootch and entertainment for this party? Remember, when Old Man Noah got drunk, it was on wine -- where did distilled spirits come from? One need look no farther than the next chapter to find out that the baby Isaac's first cousins brought all that was needed:

Genesis 22:20: "And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor; 21: Utz his firstborn, and Booz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram, 22: And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Yidlaph, and Bethuel."

OK: Cousin Utz brought the potato chips. Cousin Booz distilled hard liquor and brought it to the party. And Cousin Yidlaph was the stand-up comedian who made every Jew at the party laugh.

Posted by: MattInAberdeen | November 2, 2007 1:04 PM

Yeah, I don't drink -- being married to a drunk kind of takes the fun out of it, and, anyway, I don't need to drink to have fun.

If you don't like it, then no crab dip for you

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 2, 2007 1:07 PM

One other thing, educmom__615 -- alcohol contains a lot of calories. I'd rather my caloric allocation go to flan!

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 1:09 PM

Not that I think anyone who drinks at a party is an alcoholic...sorry...but atb2 p***ed me off

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 2, 2007 1:09 PM

Well put, educmom__615. atb2 really p***ed me off, too!

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 1:11 PM

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 01:09 PM

Or chocolate...or anything that doesn't give me a headache the next day!

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 2, 2007 1:14 PM

I'll bring DH, to proclaim the importance of SAHD's, older son (the human garbage disposal) to eat *everything* including whatever no one else will touch, younger son to kiss all the ladies' hands and generally charm everyone, some inexpensive - but very good - CA wine (which I'll share, unless you're too slow asking and I finish it off first), and my pentacle necklace to offend all the God-fearing, bible-thumping fundagelicals in attendance.

If you'd rather have a very mellow, laid-back CA vibe at the potluck, I could probably come up with some CA grass. But somehow, I doubt this crowd wants that sort of party. And besides, transporting it all the way from this coast to that one will be risky, so I think the wine will be a better idea.

Posted by: sue | November 2, 2007 1:15 PM

Yep. educmom__615, chocolate is good, too. Must.save.room.for.both -- although the idea of chocolate flan is not terribly appealing to me somehow (maybe our flan-maven Emily can explain why).

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 1:20 PM

pATRICK I don't have to worry about my testicles since I am a woman-- a woman with no sense of style or automotive excitment. Not anymore at least. I work full time with a baby who is exclusively breastfed (daycare on site). I'm the one that drives-- my husband gets a ride with me or takes metro or walks.

Anyway, I guess I'll be arriving late to the potluck since I can't get the boy buckled in-- and now the baby's car seat has the handle stuck in the down position and it needs to be up for safety reasons of some sort. Grrrr!

Oh well, I think I'll just bag the potluck and take a warm bubble bath instead. Have fun, ya'll!

Posted by: baby-work | November 2, 2007 1:22 PM

Will you let this little dog through the door if I bring Father of 4?

Just keep an eye on him. don't let him next to the table with the cake, and no more than one bowl of oyster stew for him..., or we'll all be sorry.

I'm calling dibs on Scarry's baby. I get first lick! What a sweetie!

Woof! Wag, wag, Woof! Wag wag wag pant. Woof! pant. Woof!ag, pant, pant. Woof!

Posted by: Lil_Husky | November 2, 2007 1:36 PM

Of course, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for the clarification. I meant to write: Alcoholics and friends and family of alcoholics have no place in my universe. And redheads, they really give me the creeps. Not to mention the Dutch and their silly shoes.

----------------------------------------

atb2 wrote: "the teetotalers will look on disapprovingly"

Well put, educmom__615. atb2 really p***ed me off, too!

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 1:37 PM

atb2, sarcasm does not pass for an apology. It only reveals further your social tin-ear.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 1:44 PM

Aw, man! You hate redheads, too? And I thought we were friends.

Sniff. Whine. Snivel.

Posted by: newsahm | November 2, 2007 1:46 PM

Well, I usually don't take the bait -- the al-anon meetings have helped me ignore the insensitive twits, since thy just can't help it after all -- but I have not been to one in a while, and it missing meetings makes me grumpy.

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 2, 2007 1:52 PM

Does anyone have a steak bone for l'il husky? We need to keep him out of the barbecue!

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 2, 2007 1:56 PM

I'll bring the blue skies and warm Arizona weather...and perhaps a mushroom cloud...we're having a security breach at our nuclear power plant right now...

Posted by: pepperjade | November 2, 2007 2:00 PM

Give Lil' Husky a few ounces of that hootch and tell him only cats like barbecue. Problem solved.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 2:04 PM

Teetotaler =/= alcoholic. It means someone who does not drink. If I was stereotyping anyone, it was those who don't drink because they see it as a sin and disapprove of drinking. If you are an alcoholic or friend or family member of an alcoholic and were offended, I apologize. If you look disapprovingly at drinkers from the standpoint that drinking is sinful, I do not apologize. I want to write a list of other people I do not apologize, too, but mehitabel and educmom will then not accept the apology if it's followed by sarcasm because it won't seem sincere. But it is sincere.

Posted by: atb2 | November 2, 2007 2:10 PM

Question: MIL got a Wii for the family for x-mas. What games does it come with? What are the must have awesome games? What games would you recommend that the whole family can play together? This whole thing is very foreign to me. Thanks.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | November 2, 2007 2:30 PM

MM, we're still having fun with the basic games that come with it -- family bowling, etc. My husband likes the Tiger Woods golf; my daughter is a fan of Avatar, and so loves to play that one with Daddy. But it depends entirely on what kinds of games they usually like to play, which you'd be more likely to know than anyone else. Just go to the store and ask for the Wii section (there's a bunch). OR: go to the library and rent some to try out (ours offers games free for a week at a time -- that's where we get the Avatar game from).

Posted by: laura33 | November 2, 2007 2:34 PM

Give the silly cat some catnip. As for me, I'm hoping Sue will take my leash and take me out for a short walk.

When I come back, I'll get frisky with the cat. ;-)

Woof! sneeze! Woof!

Posted by: Lil_Husky | November 2, 2007 2:41 PM

atb2 wrote: "If you are an alcoholic or friend or family member of an alcoholic and were offended, I apologize. If you look disapprovingly at drinkers from the standpoint that drinking is sinful, I do not apologize."

Wow, what a load of carp [sic] (channeling the inimitable Hax here).

Some people abstain from alcohol completely or part of the time for myriad other reasons, including not feeling like drinking on particular occasions (e.g., work-related functions), not caring for the taste of alcoholic beverages or how they make the person feel afterwards. It's a matter of free choice -- the judgmentalism here is emanating from atb2, not the teetotalers.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 2:45 PM

LiL_Husky,

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 2:46 PM

Better yet, hump atb's leg.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 2:48 PM

But, gcoward, Li'l Husky would never stand a chance against a "passel of cats" -- they could make mincemeat of him.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 2:50 PM

Yep, I enjoy a drink but some people do view it as sinful. You baptists know who you are. If being at a party where liquor is served violates their beliefs, they should not go or go and be respectful that others do not view it as a sin and just leave it at that. I have never in my entire life been at a party where people looked or acted judgmentally at liquor being served and this is the bible belt. Those strict people rarely go to a liquor function.

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 2:52 PM

Lil Husky I will give you a dollar if you pee on CHITTY'S leg.

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 2:53 PM

pATRICK, Nor have I ever observed teetotaler scorn toward adults drinking in moderation either. However, I've experienced scorn at times myself from people who berate me when I graciously request a non-alcoholic beverage or decline a serving of alcohol -- and then they try to badger me into having a drink, or quiz me as to why I refuse. It's a challenge to be polite to such undeserving twits when, deep down, one just wants to say, NOYFB.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 2:59 PM

I'll take Lil_Husky's jaws over a passel's claws any day. He can take a little blood loss to shut the whiny felines up forever.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 3:17 PM

"If you'll accidentally pee on atb's ankle, we can arrange for a passel of cats and steaks to be delivered to your dog house pronto."

Don't you think she gets enough from someone pissing in her cornflakes every morning?

Posted by: Lil_Husky | November 2, 2007 3:28 PM

I hope I'm not too late to sign up.

I'll bring the hefeweizen, Two Buck Chuck, veggie burgers, Terps fever, and sarcasm. I get the feeling that we might have several helpings of sarcasm already, but that's all I got. Maybe I could muster up a sense of entitlement for being young and childless.

I will be expecting scarry's baby, lots of free booze, liberal rantings from Proud Papa and conservative bible thumping from Patrick, and lots of cute kids to play with.

And Lil' Husky, I'll be bringing my two female hound dogs to slobber on people. I hope you guys get along.

Posted by: Meesh | November 2, 2007 3:29 PM

I say we have the potluck in the Creepy Van. It will be cramped, but then we can count on the contact high from sue's contribution.

Posted by: Meesh | November 2, 2007 3:33 PM

well, atb, maybe if you just APOLOGIZED and left it alone, instead of adding on some b*%$#y snark, those to whom you are allegedly apologizing might believe you're sincere.

mehitabel, that behavior is, I hate to say, typical of problem drinkers. They are very insecure around people who turn down a drink. Even if you're just saying no because you're (always, whether you want to be or not) the designated driver, you're preggers, you are taking medication or you just don't feel like having a drink, they will become very defensive. They think your action is a judgement of them and active alcoholics cannot stand to feel judged.

Just another reason it's so difficult to live day-to-day with an active addict.

And I've never seen a party where the non-drinkers are rude and judgemental to the moderate drinkers, either (well, except this one wedding, a catholic & a protestant, where some distant-realtive bapitsts got all huffy at the champagne toast...but one story does not a trend make)

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 2, 2007 3:35 PM

arguing on a Friday afternoon? nah...

Seriously, I don't believe atb's writings insinuate anything against those who prefer not to drink alcohol. come on, try not to read anything into it...especially on a Friday.

moxi: we bought a wii last Christmas for our kids. They are older, but here goes.

Guitar Hero III is awesome. Parents like to come over and jam to the tunes.
Ultimate alliance - okay
Wii Play - okay to skip. too boring
Legend of Zelda - very good
Call of Duty - teens only
Tony Hawk - pretty good
Madden - awesome
Wii sports - one of the best party games ever.

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 3:40 PM

Thanks for the Wii tips gang. We are hopeful that it will be something we can all do together. We'll see.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | November 2, 2007 3:41 PM

moxie - one more tip: one doesn't need more than two controllers plus two wii-motes. Three or four people waving their arms around is a recipe for disaster. Two is just right.

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 3:43 PM

Well, since I'm always late to the party I'll bring some fine, smoky scotch to mellow things out and some delicious chocolate dessert that I will tell you is vegan only after you have eaten it and asked for seconds because it is so darn good, bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Posted by: LizaBean | November 2, 2007 3:44 PM

LOL, I am so not a bible thumper! A conservative ranter? yes. I guess to a lib anyone defending their faith is a bible thumper though.

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 3:46 PM

I want LESLIE to bring her running coach. The thought of that would keep me laughing all night. I love liberal elitism!

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 3:48 PM

"I guess to a lib anyone defending their faith is a bible thumper though."

But wait. I thought the conservative ranting wasn't starting until the potluck...

Posted by: Meesh | November 2, 2007 3:52 PM

1-0 Meesh

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 3:53 PM

"I'll be bringing my two female hound dogs to slobber on people. I hope you guys get along."

No problem, I'll just ask them politely if they want to share my bone. Woof!

Posted by: Lil_Husky | November 2, 2007 3:57 PM

I'll bring my referee outfit, and a 50 point plan for putting together the next potluck along with mandatory check-in dates to make sure we don't have duplicate green bean sides. And markers and stickers to label everything that has nuts, dairy, wheat, meat, soy, alcohol etc. And name tags, for the moniker(s) of your choice.

Posted by: MaryL | November 2, 2007 3:57 PM

You're right! I jumped the gun. My apologies. ;)

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 3:58 PM

But, MaryL,

How many slides is the PowerPoint Presentation and when is it available for for review?

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 4:01 PM

Oooh, yes, I want to see the running coach too, maybe my son and I can scam some free tips.

Now, who's bringing the goody bags? They had better be good, is all I'm sayin.

Posted by: LizaBean | November 2, 2007 4:02 PM

Lizabean - and to whom to we address the thank you notes!

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 4:04 PM

I have you slated for the third round of review, Fred. You're in charge of adding some creepiness.

Posted by: MaryL | November 2, 2007 4:04 PM

LizaBean, the goody bags will consist of the remnants of the 15 pounds of Halloween candy my two younger daughters got Wednesday night.

The 11 year old got 7.4 pounds, and the 15 year old got 7.6 pounds.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | November 2, 2007 4:06 PM

OK,

Fred is going over by the CSS cave now and invites anyone who loves any or all beer, brats, breasts (pumps) and baseball to come with him.

The Hula Girl is warming up!

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 4:07 PM

I'm there Fred...anything for the hula girl!

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 4:10 PM

Gee, guys, I'm so sorry. I just got back. If I'd known you'd take me up on the offer, I'd have hopped on Muni and gone out to the Haight for some 'kind bud' during my lunch break.

And I was so hoping someone would comment on my pentacle, too.

Happy Friday!

Posted by: sue | November 2, 2007 4:14 PM

Hey, anyone seen Matt? Last time I saw him he was looking towards Pretoria.

Posted by: Fred | November 2, 2007 4:16 PM

Hmmm, Dotted, it looks like we're going to have to send thank you notes to all of ArmyBrat's neighbors who contributed to the 15 pounds of halloween candy in addition to Leslie, the WaPo, and everyone else here.... I guess we better have them preprinted.

Posted by: LizaBean | November 2, 2007 4:16 PM

Hee hee, sue, watch out or you'll be a pentacle thumper. Or whatever it is you would do with a pentacle for emphasis...

Posted by: LizaBean | November 2, 2007 4:22 PM

Didn't someone tell us a while back that preprinted thank-you notes are never, ever, ever acceptable?

Didn't Lil_Husky tell us that thank-you notes are strictly a women's thing?

I'd say those are two fine reasons to ditch the thank-you notes and assume anyone who's offended is probably someone we don't want to party with next time.

Fred should bring his Ferrari and leave the Creepy Van at home with the boobie lady. vroooooooooom.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 4:23 PM

MEHITABEL, I struggle with this every day as you can imagine....

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 4:35 PM

I want SUE to bring her broom, perhaps she could do some aerial acrobatics, now that would be neat.

Posted by: pATRICK | November 2, 2007 4:40 PM

Posted by: LizaBean | November 2, 2007 04:22 PM

Got. To. Be. Quote. Of. The. Day.

Posted by: gcoward | November 2, 2007 4:47 PM

Don't forget Mona's tarot cards, for minutes of eyerolling laughter.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 2, 2007 5:11 PM

My big pentacle get used for serving cakes, during the cakes-and-wine part of ritual. The little pentacle is a pendant necklace, just jewelry.

If I bring the broom and folks want rides, I'll have to whip up a batch of flying ointment. One of the traditional ingredients is belladonna which is quite toxic - but I guarantee high-flying hallucinations before dropping dead.

Hmmmm. Maybe that's not a good thing to contribute to a *lively* party.

Posted by: sue | November 2, 2007 5:16 PM

Wow, what with sue's ongoing contributions, this party is looking downright bacchanalian. Maybe she could do the goody bags instead of Army Brat? (No offense, ArmyBrat, it's just that I already have a lot candy at home...)

Posted by: LizaBean | November 2, 2007 5:33 PM

Posted by: sue | November 2, 2007 05:16 PM

well, if ya gotta go, you should go happy!

Posted by: educmom_615 | November 2, 2007 5:52 PM

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 03:40 PM

Been a loooooong week...crabby today...haven't been to a meeting for 2 weeks...make that VERY crabby today...thanks for the nudge of common sense.

Posted by: educmom_615 | November 2, 2007 5:58 PM

love ya educmom...or is it heart you....

You do realize I'm often crabby without needing a reason. he he he

have a great weekend!

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 6:02 PM

speaking of bringing crab cakes . . .

Posted by: MN | November 2, 2007 6:22 PM

dotted, I can still get away with using pms if I *feel* like giving a reason...soon I'll be able to use menopause...

In fact, pms also comes in handy when I want to eat a 3-pack of those Hostess raspberry zingers (or a sleeve of thin mints, or a couple of slices of the pound cake they sell at Starbucks) and not feel guilty. I only hope menopause comes with its own crazy cravings.

Posted by: educmom_615 | November 2, 2007 6:23 PM

oh, I'll bring crab dip! So appropriate today!

Posted by: educmom_615 | November 2, 2007 6:27 PM

educmom- I usually recommend chocolate, but after eating way too many almond joys...well, chocolate isn't my fave right now. perimenopause is my middle name, by the way.

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 2, 2007 10:47 PM