Pajama Party

True Confession Friday: Some mornings, when there are no children awake to ask a favor from, I sneak outside in my pajamas to get the newspaper. (And I do sneak, quickly and quietly.)

However, in the past two weeks, I was surprised to see the following:

1. A mom waiting with her child at the school bus stop in her nightgown.

2. Another mom walking her teenage son to school in sheer white pajamas without undergarments.

I felt like stopping my car and lecturing each woman about public decency and setting an appropriate example for her children.

Instead, I decided to ask you all what you wear outside in the mornings. Because maybe it is just me who thinks adults walking down the street in the morning in one's pjs sets the bar for decency awfully low. (At 2 a.m. after a few too many nightcaps is another story.)

Do you wear your pajamas outside? At the bus stop? When you're driving your child to school? Is the day coming when we will show up to our desks to find our bosses will be wearing their pajamas at work?

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  November 16, 2007; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: How Not to Write About Parenthood | Next: Unfair Prosperity

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Wow...i must be up early to be the first poster.

I see no problem in getting the paper or standing at the bus stop in your PJs as long as everything is covered up. We live in a fairly puritanical society (like it or not) so it is not for one parent to teach another's child about anatomy!! So flannel or silk or a poly/cotton blend does not matter to me, as long as it is covering what needs to be covered. i don't think there is anything indecent about ones PJs!!

Posted by: happydad | November 16, 2007 7:28 AM

First -- although I don't know why I'm even bothering, because once again Leslie has proven she's willing to stoop low culturally in pursuit of a topic for this blog board. Barring a legitimate safety emergency -- like a house fire, gas leak, serious injury or threat to one's life -- there is no reasonable defense for being seen outside the home in one's nightclothes; that's why we have bathrobes, in order to cover up while popping outside momentarily in order to grab the dead-tree edition of the newspaper, or to let the dog or cat in/out. Since it's not that difficult or time-consuming for most men and women to slip on underwear (Britney Spears notwithstanding) and change into, say, a pair of jeans and unrevealing top, it's reasonable to assume that the more flagrant examples Leslie describes are individuals possessing maladjusted exhibitionistic tendencies, who despite being technically adults are still clearly in need of responsible adult guidance. Surely they are humiliating their children with their own immature behavior public.

Leslie, if you're so desperate for topics that you're stooping as low as you have lately, maybe you need to take a sabbatical from this blog in order to recharge your virtual batteries.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 7:35 AM

Oops, I was second. I think happydad is happy about this because he likes an alibi to ogle other children's moms in their nighties. That's just not right.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 7:36 AM

woohoo, where's your neigborhood? Hot Mom's in PJ's rock! Seriously, America's puritanical streak lives on eh? - if thong bikinis are ok at the town pool then sheer PJ's probably are ok except for hypothermia! It's the sneaking that makes pickin up the paper in my PJ's so much fun!

If the blog has issues with the PJ epidemic, how 'bout those running tights and sports bra combos jogging by? Not much left to the imagination there huh? Deadly Sinful! You are all going to HELL!

Posted by: btpduc748 | November 16, 2007 7:53 AM

During finals week in college, half the students were wandering around in PJ pants and sweat shirts, looking like they had just been run over by a mack truck.

And indecent wouldn't be the word I would use to describe it, more like desperate. Desperate and tired.

So, I'm with happydad, PJ's outside are fine, as long as they are covering.

Posted by: klynnwilder | November 16, 2007 8:00 AM

In our house, running clothes (clean ones) double as pjs for the grownups, so I feel okay going outside with my "pjs" on. This has the practical benefit of making that early-morning run that much more likely to happen - just add jogbra, socks and shoes.

Posted by: blinny | November 16, 2007 8:04 AM

I sleep in sweats just to avoid these kinds of criticisms!

Posted by: PSNYDER1 | November 16, 2007 8:30 AM

Lighten up, Mehitabel! It's FRIDAY!

The point about kids on campus wearing pj's is a good one. I see that too, even at the high school level. Nothing really wrong with it, because I guess pj's are clothes, but I just wonder how casual we are willing to become.

Posted by: leslie4 | November 16, 2007 8:48 AM

Ugh, I think it looks kind of sloppy to be out in public in pajamas if you're an adult. It takes about 5 seconds to pull on a pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt and flip-flops. What's the problem? My darling grandmother would probably choose between "slovenly" and "bohemian" to describe someone who cared so little about his/her appearance!

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 16, 2007 8:50 AM

Hey, going outside in undies was good enought for Tony Soprano. And I sure as hell am not going to contradicte Tony!

(y'all think he is dead, huh?)

Posted by: Fred | November 16, 2007 9:00 AM

I would be mortified to be caught outside in a nightgown. If I must scuttle outside to get the paper while wearing one, it is hidden under an overcoat.

Posted by: shandavegh | November 16, 2007 9:07 AM

My mom used to embarress us by driving us to school on rainy days in her bathrobe and nightgown. We are not talking sexy lingerie. I mean the 10 yr old nasty velour/terry cloth/other soft fuzzy material kind. You know, the one with raggedy edges and tea stains on it. Gross!

I have no problems with grabbing the newspaper or trash cans in your nightclothes. If you are going to stand at the bus stop or go for a walk, at least put on "sleep pants" that are basically loose fitting sweats.

Posted by: LBH219 | November 16, 2007 9:08 AM

I think a more relevant topic would be how women dress in the workplace. I don't understand what retailers call professional clothing. Flowy peasant tops with low necklines that show all the cleavage in the world is not professional at all. I firmly believe this impacts the way we are perceived as contributors to the workplace. Most stuff I see is something I would choose to wear to a club or dinner out. I'm not prude by any means, but is asking for clothing that is a little more tailored to much to ask?

Posted by: JS1978 | November 16, 2007 9:10 AM

Frankly, I have a difficult time telling what are pjs and what are clothes these days. I don't wear pjs in public, mostly to spare the sensibilitites of others. There are very few of us who won't embarress ourselves or others by seeing what we look like in pjs, either because of our bodies or those ratty old togs. Heck, I don't even open the door to FedEx unless I'm in my robe. Its just more polite!

Posted by: babsy1 | November 16, 2007 9:10 AM

Abu

What do your wives wear at the school bus stop?

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 9:10 AM

Leslie, telling someone to "lighten up" is insulting, so I take it as your way of disrespecting me and my legitimate views which were offered in good faith.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 9:14 AM

I have been known to run out for the newspaper in my nightclothes. However, mine tend to be more along the boxer shorts/t-shirt line and not the see-thru variety.

Some of the moms at my daughter's preschool don't shower before dropping their kids off, and thus come in sweats sometimes, or jeans and a sweatshirt. Some also come on their way to the gym. None has ever shown up in anything resembling pajamas.

While I agree this isn't a hard-hitting issue, I do find it a bit disturbing that grown-ups, parents, no less, think it's appropriate to run around town in their nighties. I'm with whoever said it's okay as long as they wear a coat over it....

Posted by: viennamom | November 16, 2007 9:21 AM

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 07:36 AM
-------------------------

Maybe Leslie was saying to lighten up because you throw out accusations and criticisms of other people's posts at 7:30 in the morning. If you don't want Leslie to "disrespect you and your legitimate views" maybe you should treat other people with that same respect you feel you deserve!

Posted by: happydad | November 16, 2007 9:35 AM

I guess I'm a prude. If I got out for the paper I put my robe on over my PJ's.

It's probably not so necessary in the cold months when the PJ's are all covered up anyway, but in the summer it seems more decent.

High school started pretty early for us, and if I needed to drive someone there because they missed the bus or whatever then I'd put my raincoat on over my PJ's.

I always keep in the back of my mind when I drive someplace that it's always a possibility some disaster will befall me and I'll have to call a tow truck or walk somewhere. So driving attire needs to be decent and include shoes.

Unless the woman with the sheer nightie and the teen aged son was unusually shapely she'd probably do herself more favors by putting something heavier on. At a certain age we all begin to look a bit pathetic in the buff......

Posted by: RedBird27 | November 16, 2007 9:36 AM

The last time I wore my PJs in public was when I was in college and had a morning class.

But I would never do that today. Mind you, I don't shellack on the make-up and stuff myself into skirts and heels every time I leave the house. I usually just pull on some jeans, a sweatshirt, and a baseball cap. But I am much too modest to wear a nightgown in public. I was even embarrassed a few days ago when I had to open the door for a repairperson wearing my Juicy velor pants.

I think it boils down to modesty. I'm not willing to compromise that because that's how I was raised. But I think that characteristic doesn't mean today what it used to. PJs in public go hand in hand (in my opinion) with thongs and padded training bras for 7 year olds and Bratz dolls.

Posted by: Meesh | November 16, 2007 9:42 AM

I run outside in my PJ's only to take the dog out and I really am hoping no one sees me then. I think that a lot of things in society have gotten too casual, this is just a sign of the times. Personally I don't even like it when our office staff wears jeans on "casual Fridays". I think that it is important to look professional (they are free to wear scrubs, I work in a medical office) and at least give the impression that you care about yourself and how the world perceives you.

Posted by: morgan4 | November 16, 2007 9:44 AM

First of all, a high schooler is being walked to school? By his mother in see-through clothes? Am I the only one who assumes she WANTS to be ogled by teenaged boys?

Second, what? Mehitabel has been insulted? No way! She's normally so thick-skinned.

The last time I was out in PJs was when the dog got out of the yard, and we were frantically trying to find him before he got hit by a car, which he eventually did. I then went to the emergency vet in my PJs, but threw a coat on first. I was 9 months pregnant. The dog was fine, just a bit bruised. We got a new fence.

Posted by: atb2 | November 16, 2007 9:45 AM

I have been known to drive my son to school in my pajamas -- and no, not the see-through type -- more along the lines of flannel or cotton with a robe or coat thrown on top, depending on the weather. I have to admit that no one in my family is an early riser. We love to sleep a few minutes later than we ought to. And then the morning turns into a mad rush to get the boy to school on time, which we amazingly achieve regularly. But this means that I sometimes have to do it in my pajamas. Afterwards, I go back home, have a leisurly breakfast, and watch the Today Show as I get ready for work.

Mehitabel, you are really grumpy today. Do you need some morning flan?

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 9:48 AM

JS1978, I feel you on the work attire concerns. I might even take it a step farther because I don't wear heels or skirts to work because, seriously, I don't want man oogling me while I'm working. I get enough of that when I'm out to dinner or dancing.

But the good thing about clothes is that you get to wear (for the most part) whatever you're most comfortable in, and people can't tell you to wear these flowy low cut shirts. Maybe your good business fashion will make you stand out from the rest.

Posted by: Meesh | November 16, 2007 9:49 AM

JS1978 wants to talk about what women are wearing to work these days. I like this topic as well. Most of the women in my office dress appropriately, thank God, because when they don't I have to deal with it. A big issue continues to be cropped pants and flip floppy shoes in the summer. I am less stringent about it than my counterpart in our other local office, who is a martinet BIG TIME. He doesn't want to see any ankle showing, but it's okay with me. Just not above the ankle. And sleeveless shirts -- ladies, most of us just shouldn't wear 'em. Arm flab is not a good look at work.

I'm so glad it's colder now. Less to deal with.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 16, 2007 9:52 AM

Somebody on parenting asked me to post this comment for them:

Posted by: to moxiemom | November 16, 2007 09:42 AM

As an aside, one of the great joys of being a SAHM is having complete freedom when it comes to dressing. If I want to dress nicely I can, if I want to wear sweats I can.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | November 16, 2007 9:57 AM

"I find it more disturbing that a mother is walking her TEENAGER to school than the fact that she is wearing pajamas while walking."

I don't give a rat's a$s! Have you ever been to a beach???

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 10:01 AM

Emily, are you going to let your son watch as you nurse the new baby?

Posted by: DandyLion | November 16, 2007 10:23 AM

Oops, Emily, I left out the general question from my last post: Is nudity or exposure acceptable within the family unit?

My dad walked around the house naked sometimes, my mother never did. I've been caught many times naked when I'm sneaking from the shower to the bedroom because I forgot a towel. When my son catches one of his sisters without clothes, he rats them out to me. LOL!

Family life, you gotta love it!

Posted by: DandyLion | November 16, 2007 10:33 AM

"I've been caught many times naked when I'm sneaking from the shower to the bedroom because I forgot a towel."

Many times = exhibitionist

Buy another towel rack.

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 10:40 AM

Dandylion,
Yes, I will let my son watch the baby breastfeed. He will not be shocked. He has seen it before, and he remembers breastfeeding himself.

We are not too uptight about modesty at home (not yet at least), so it is not an issue for us yet. But even if he were older, I would not hide during nursing. I don't hide from my brothers or stepfather either.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 10:56 AM

jeez chitty, don't you *ever* laugh?

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 16, 2007 10:56 AM

I sometimes drag the trash can to the curb in my pjs, but I sleep in yoga pants and a t-shirt, so not really a big deal. I don't think I'm scaring my neighbors...

I see kids at the mall in sleepwear and wonder why they can't change into clothes before they leave the house...and a shower might not be a bad idea, either.

Posted by: pepperjade | November 16, 2007 10:57 AM

Wow, Meesh, you actually own a pair of juicy velour pants? Well, there's a blow to my mental image of you. :-)

Posted by: laura33 | November 16, 2007 10:59 AM

What are juicy velour pants?

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 11:00 AM

Many times = exhibitionist

Buy another towel rack.

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 10:40 AM

maybe many times merely equals, he's blind, no longer as self-conscious as he once might have been, and doesn't have the benefit of a glance in the mirror before he leaves the restroom.

On the topic at hand, I haven't owned a robe since I was about 13 years old. Who does? I'm also old enough to remember when women used to walk from home to the grocery store to do their once-per-week grocery shopping in nightclothes, robes, curlers and even fuzzy slippers -- this for the benefit of you who think public slovingliness is a New Thang. It aint.

I'm also not convinced that jeans and a t-shirt as vastly more neat and trim then Gap lounge pants and flip flops. To each his own, but I see a lot of adults who consider jeans with a myriad of holes and visible dirt stains, combined with shirts bearing offensive messages, to be appropriate outdoor wear. Give me the flannel lounge pants without holes and stains and a shirt that doesn't use profanity, any day of the week. Sheer pjs? That's a whole 'nother thing and I second those who are wondering why mom is walking with teenaged son to school. I suspect he is mortified.

Posted by: mn.188 | November 16, 2007 11:03 AM

Posted by: laura | November 16, 2007 10:59 AM

WOW - I missed this. I so agree. Meesh, you are henceforth designated the OB fashion maven.

Emily - designer-brand yoga pants. The ones that have "JUICY" across the tuckus.

Posted by: mn.188 | November 16, 2007 11:08 AM

"What are juicy velour pants?"

What Fred wears to the office.

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 11:13 AM

Hey, MN, I proudly wear my jewel-toned long Pendleton wool plaid bathrobe, which I bought gently-used off eBay for a most reasonable bid! It's nice and snuggly on wintry mornings and evenings, as well as beautiful -- and modest.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 11:14 AM

"I second those who are wondering why mom is walking with teenaged son to school."

Decent exersize. Last Monday I had the day off, and I walked with my daughter (HS Junior) to enjoy a bagel at the local coffee shop with her before school. After we were done, we walked to her bus stop where I chatted with her friends. It was a nice time.

Of course, she didn't let me were the package sporting sweatpants, but the flannel polar PJs were OK.

Posted by: DandyLion | November 16, 2007 11:19 AM

"Last Monday I had the day off, and I walked with my daughter (HS Junior) to enjoy a bagel at the local coffee shop with her before school. "

Were you naked?

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 11:21 AM

This pajama thing has been a big problem in my life. Some people are gifted with the ability to pop out of bed like a jack and the box, dress to madison avenue perfection, cook a three course breakfast all while singing the national anthem in tune. Me... not so lucky. I need about 10 minutes just to figure out that I am not sailing my yacht to Tulsa, Oklahoma to receive an important award for my purple spaghetti recipe. Peole knock on the door, the dog needs to go, I have to grab something from the car, still parked on the street, that we need NOW, and I'm just not ready for it. But I've solved this problem once and for all, and Leslie you owe me big-time for this one... I sleep in work out clothes. Not only am I dressed, I have everyone who sees me convinced that I am an early morning go-getter rather than the drooling, sleep-intoxicated slob that I am. I really should get paid for this advice...

Posted by: pinkoleander | November 16, 2007 11:22 AM

"I sleep in work out clothes. Not only am I dressed, I have everyone who sees me convinced that I am an early morning go-getter rather than the drooling, sleep-intoxicated slob that I am. "

Since you need a bath, you haven't convinced many people....

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 11:30 AM

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 11:14 AM

This has to be a poseur. mehitabel would never drop expensive brand names into a clothing conversation.

Posted by: mn.188 | November 16, 2007 11:33 AM

"What are juicy velour pants?"
What Fred wears to the office.
Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 11:13 AM

Nah, I wear my tropical combat fatigues from 35 years ago. They are getting a bit worn in the seat tho....

Posted by: Fred | November 16, 2007 11:35 AM

Meesh- As long as you don't pair your Juicy pants with a shirt that says "I slept with your boyfriend," you should be given some slack.

Posted by: atb2 | November 16, 2007 11:38 AM

Fred,

If you still fit into any garment you wore 35 years ago, you put most of us to shame, LOL.

Posted by: mn.188 | November 16, 2007 11:39 AM

The Juicy velour pants Meesh is referring to may not necessarily have a word across the backside. Juicy, as my stepdaughter has informed me, is a highly sought after designer of trendy clothing. She bought a Juicy hoodie sweatshirt for an insane amount on eBay.

Meesh, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | November 16, 2007 11:40 AM

MN, you're half-right. I would never pay full-price for such an expensive bathrobe, but getting a gently-worn older one for a most-reasonable bid online seemed justifiable. Heck, it was even made in the USA!

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 11:44 AM

Frankly, I'm not sure what the problem with public pjs are. See-through pjs with no undergarments - a problem. But not moreso than a miniskirt and sheer blouse with no undergarments. The problem is not the purpose of the garment, but the immodesty of it. People who get worked up over "but but but those are PAJAMAS!" need to lighten up and worry about more important things in life.

I'm also not sure why the mere act of "putting on a robe" makes a difference. I don't even own a robe, but my pjs cover just as much as any of my clothes. So if I want to wait at the bus stop with my kid in my long flannel nightgown, perhaps you should think "that mom is helping to keep her child safe by not sending him to the bus stop by himself" not "OMG!!! She's wearing her NIGHTGOWN!!!"

Posted by: fake99 | November 16, 2007 11:53 AM

Flannel "sleep pants" in many styles are very popular outerwear for teenagers, boys and girls. It took me a while to get used to them, but they've pretty much replaced sweat pants. When oldest DD played in volleyball tournaments, we had to show up at some gym at oh-dark-thirty (usually by 7 am or so). Most of the girls were wearing sleep pants over their uniforms, which sort of fit because as soon as they weren't playing the girls were finding comfy places on the floor to set up the team "camp" and go to sleep.

Given that female volleyball uniforms all include spandex shorts for whatever reason, the sleep pants are popular pull-overs.

Softball players do the same thing - and the sleep pants are popular when there's a tournament and it's still pretty chilly at 7 am when you show up, but it's going to be roasting by 2 pm when you play your fourth game of the day.

(Softball uniforms typically include shorts, but not spandex. Try sliding in those, Mr. Macho. :-)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | November 16, 2007 11:58 AM

That's a good question. Why is it that bathrobe are so important to so many people, if the clothing underneath is modest to begin with? I tend to wear pretty modest pjs and nightgowns, and here I am, wondering if I need to go out and buy a decent bathrobe to take to the hospital with me.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 12:01 PM

For me, the PJs aren't obscene, but I don't where a bra or panties with them, so it's just not suitable for going out. Robes usually hide the lack of undergarments, especially if they're the big puffy spa type ones I prefer.

Posted by: atb2 | November 16, 2007 12:11 PM

Emily, If you get stuck having to wear one of those open-in-the-back nightgowns in the hospital (as I did when admitted on an emergency basis, so was unprepared), the trick is to ask for an additional one to wear open-in-the-front over it (like a bathrobe) when you have to get out of bed.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 12:12 PM

Re: Juicy sweats - an interesting tidbit for children of the 80's. Juicy is run by the wife of John Taylor of Duran Duran. FYI

Posted by: moxiemom1 | November 16, 2007 12:15 PM

Great idea, Mehitabel. I will definitely do that. I saw a great adult Halloween costume this year, where a friend and her husband dressed up as doctor and patient. She was wearing the doctor outfit, and he was wearing an open in the back paper nightgown with pants that simulated the exposed butt. Pretty funny.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 12:15 PM

Emily, I hope everything goes well for you during (and after) delivery. But you should know first hand that with all the doctors and nurses and tech aids, a woman's body pretty much becomes public property on the maternity ward. I don't think a new robe will impress anybody there.

BTW: Is your belly button popping up like an oven-stuffer roaster indicating it's done? Hahaha! (preggers are so cute!) :-)

Posted by: DandyLion | November 16, 2007 12:22 PM

Thank you, Dandylion, for that. Yes, my belly button is popping out, and no, I don't feel cute right now. I look like the side of house.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 12:25 PM

Emily, you may not feel cute, but you're in that most precious time. I'm jealous! So there!

Moxie - I didn't know about Juicy and Duran Duran. I try to ignore the Juicy brand myself since I would never allow any girl of mine out with Juicy written across her rear. My boys prefer t-shirts/sweaters from athletic events. Call me a prude all you want. I know what is not right...and that is just wrong wrong wrong.

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 16, 2007 1:03 PM

"I try to ignore the Juicy brand myself since I would never allow any girl of mine out with Juicy written across her rear."

It's called "Truth in Advertising"!

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 1:07 PM

LOL! I thought Juicy was well known. I would never buy them for myself because the line is so expensive, but my uber-trendy SIL bought me a Juicy track suit for Christmas one year. I love it because it's super comfy, but the pants are *very* low cut, so they are strictly for the house.

The pants don't have anything written across the seat, much to the chagrin of my husband who would love to ridicule me for that.

Posted by: Meesh | November 16, 2007 1:24 PM

ArmyBrat, I played volleyball in high school and college, and I fondly remember those spandex shorts (affectionately referred to as "buns"). I made sure the get the biggest uniform shirt I could so that they covered up as much of the buns as possible. They leave very little to the imagination. And heaven forbid you should sweat! Gross. Whoever dreamt those up should be shot.

Posted by: Meesh | November 16, 2007 1:28 PM

Emily- What did you do for your last delivery? TMI, but you bleed so much there's no point in ruining YOUR clothes, so just use the hospital gowns. The have breast-feeding gowns that don't hang open in the back. You may want a robe to cruise the halls in case it's cold. And slippers! Don't forget slippers! Those little hospital socks with the non-skid bottoms won't cut it.

Posted by: atb2 | November 16, 2007 1:30 PM

I had a C-section for my last delivery because my son was breech. And now it turns out that baby girl is breech as well, and at 37 weeks, my doctor thinks the chances of her turning are at this point are slim. So we will probably do another C-section. The good thing is the bleeeding after a C-section is not so bad, but the bad thing is that getting around those first few days is really painful. But they make you walk the halls every day after a C-section as part of the recovery torture, and I don't want to be flapping around barebutted for all to see. With my son, I actually bought some nice front open nightgowns that were comfy and good to nurse in, and I think I did wear one of them at the hospital, at least toward the end. But back then, I was more concious of what a looked like in the hospital. These days, I am not so sure I care that much anymore.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 1:39 PM

This time of year in Northern New England (global warming notwithstanding) our pajamas are less revealing than our ski outfits. I only wear them outside to get virtual flan.

Posted by: anne.saunders | November 16, 2007 1:58 PM

Meesh - DD has lots of hatred for the spandex shorts. Turned out to be the cause for lots of "queen bee" rumors about teams from other schools. e.g, players from school X all wear thongs; players from school Y don't wear underwear at all under their shorts. And the look on DW's face when DD tried to explain was what mean when school Z's players had issues with camel toe.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | November 16, 2007 1:59 PM

ArmyBrat-you crack me up...ooops, bad pun...

but seriously, there was discussion on camel toe after a riding class at the gym a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, some ladies showed up with new (larger) riding shorts....

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 16, 2007 2:04 PM

I would rather be seen in sweats than in curlers.

Posted by: KLB_SS_MD | November 16, 2007 2:13 PM

I remember watching The Peoples Court when I was a kid, and a woman actually showed up in curlers to state her case. I kept on wondering what could be so important after court that she would opt to wear curlers on tv.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 2:14 PM

klb - curlers in your hair...shame on you...

a sing-a-long

by the way, I tried these wasabi chips a couple of days ago. Wasabi taste was good, but the chips were too..well...greasy. Sad, because the small bag was expensivo.

Posted by: dotted_1 | November 16, 2007 2:15 PM

"I would rather be seen in sweats than in curlers.
"

Do you remember "house dresses" and
"muu-muus"?

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 2:17 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm in the midst of interviewing right now, so it's even harder to find something that's polished and conservative enough to help make that first impression.

As for capris and flip flops, I tend to agree, depending on the office environment. A bigger pet peeve of mine is when women choose to wear flip flops and don't have the decency to clean their feet and polish their toenails! My belief is that if you're too lazy to do that, then the feet need to be covered up!

Posted by: JS1978 | November 16, 2007 2:17 PM

"I kept on wondering what could be so important after court that she would opt to wear curlers on tv."

Reminds me of some people who had the hardwood floors in their house redone just before a big fancy party they were giving, then kept plastic sheeting on the floors during the party. We wondered what they were saving the floors for. (I could never make this up!)

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 2:18 PM

I came up with the perfect solution to the robe/pj/comfort thing a year or so ago. I sleep in a nightgown (and I just WON'T go outside in one, because they're all old and either worn and torn or worn and sheer, and built solely for comfort). At night, and when sleeping in the multi-family house on vacation, I wear sleep pants/sleep shorts (depends on the weather) and a t-shirt. Robes take up a ton of room in a suitcase, but sweatshirts don't. In fact, one usually packs one anyway, and they make lightweight summer sweatshirts. Just pop them on over the pjs and viola. Of couse, these are only good for sitting on the porch. My paper and my trashcans stay where they are until I get showered and dressed. And Godhelpme, I never took the kids to school in pjs, or even without a shower (thanks, Mom!). I function about like pinkoleander in the mornings...

Posted by: educmom__615 | November 16, 2007 2:22 PM

Okay, I'm the guy who runs out to the curb to take out the trash with no shoes on. I do this whether it's 90 degrees or 9 degrees. As long as there is no snow, I'm out there barefoot. Even in the rain.

I have no idea why I do this, but I am certain it will embarass my children in the future.

Posted by: ProudPapa15 | November 16, 2007 2:28 PM

Proud Papa, It's not about the embarrassment. I'd worry about you accidentally injuring or cutting your foot, with the attendant risks of the wound becoming infected. Just think of how unsanitary the sidewalk is, what with dogs and birds (and others) relieving themselves on it, etc. Ewww!

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 2:35 PM

I lived in Italy in my early 20's and the sight of immaculately dressed and groomed men and women at 8 am drinking their espresso's left a profound effect on me. So, almost 20 years later, I only wear very conservative pj or lounging pants inside the house because my kids follow me everywhere, even to bed. I have been known to get the paper in the robe but I was pretty sure nobody would see me. That's just me, I don't care what anybody else does. Let them wear see through pj's to school for all I care.......

Posted by: tsm | November 16, 2007 2:39 PM

I got locked out of my apt once wearing only a short robe. I leaned out to pick up the newspaper and the door closed behind me. I had to wait in the laundry room for a couple of hours until my roomate got home. EmbarASSing.

Posted by: KLB_SS_MD | November 16, 2007 2:48 PM

"I leaned out to pick up the newspaper and the door closed behind me. I had to wait in the laundry room for a couple of hours until my roomate got home. "

If you had a big a$s, the door wouldn't have closed!!

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 2:53 PM

"I'd worry about you accidentally injuring or cutting your foot, with the attendant risks of the wound becoming infected. Just think of how unsanitary the sidewalk is, what with dogs and birds (and others) relieving themselves on it, etc. Ewww!"

Oh good grief. Lighten up.

Posted by: fake99 | November 16, 2007 2:56 PM

fake99, I'm so-o-o-o impressed to know that you don't mind walking in animal poop. You must have a spectacular immune system not to have to worry about the risk of infection if some of that stuff should invade even a tiny break in your skin.

Plus, I don't want anything bad to happen to Proud Papa because we need his vote to balance out certain other voters ;-)

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 3:05 PM

Not that anyone on this blog would ever let their kids eat Captain Crunch, but for kicks and grins try Googling images of Captain Crunch and see the pictures of what some parents are setting in front of their kids at the breakfast table.

Hint: Captain Crunch forgot to put on his sailor's pants before breakfast!

Posted by: DandyLion | November 16, 2007 3:08 PM

I don't want to step in animal poop. But a) I live in a neighborhood where people clean up after their animals and b) I have eyes and can look and not step in poop.

And by the way, I do have a spectacular immune system, because I'm not worried about every little germ that comes my way. Did you never go barefoot as a child? Do your children not ever go barefoot now? Are you not aware that in many parts of the world, people never wear shoes and seem to survive (or at least getting their feet dirty or infected are the least of their worries?)

Posted by: fake99 | November 16, 2007 3:12 PM

At our high-rise office, footware is not allowed to have both open toe and heel. one or the other is OK, but not both.

This is for safety purposes during potential building evacuation.

Posted by: chemguy1157 | November 16, 2007 3:20 PM

Anytime there's precipitation, the moisture leaches all sorts of lovely (not!)components out of animal excrement, which liquid then runs down the sidewalk and street; it's really there, even though you can't see it. And don't forget all sorts of hazardous organisms harboring in the soil. So going barefoot outdoors is a self-indulgence whose risks far outweigh any putative benefit (like saving the couple seconds it takes to slip on some footwear first, I suppose).

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 3:22 PM

"Anytime there's precipitation, the moisture leaches all sorts of lovely (not!)components out of animal excrement, which liquid then runs down the sidewalk and street;"

There can be body waste leaking during oral sex and that can go into a person's MOUTH. Lovely!

Posted by: chittybangbang | November 16, 2007 3:32 PM

Yikes, Mehitabel. You just made me think twice about walking barefoot in the park. I might now resort to making everyone take their shoes off in the foyer entry, for fear of bringing their disease and germ ridden shoes into my house, especially with a baby coming.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 3:32 PM

Chitty - Stop. You are grossing me out.

Posted by: Emily | November 16, 2007 3:33 PM

OMG. Seriously. It's face masks and Purell for Christmas this year!

Risks from going barefoot outweigh the pleasure of feeling spring grass on your toes? I'd be willing to give you wearing a hat and light-colored clothes to go hiking (ticks are easier to see) outweigh the benefit of looking fabulous in black.

Posted by: atb2 | November 16, 2007 3:55 PM

Emily, you might want to ask your doctor re what precautions would be worth taking. Of course, in some cultures that we would consider advanced, it is the norm for people to remove their shoes upon entering the home.

Atb2, I think we can agree that it's hard to look (or feel) fabulous with nasty welts from insect bites, especially from ticks, chiggers or stinging insects.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 4:08 PM

We don't wear shoes around the house mostly to avoid tracking in dirt and scuffing the hardwood floors. If I was totally phobic about germs, I'd likely not leave the house, much less have pets.

As for pj's, what's worn in the bedroom, stays in the bedroom. No retrieving the newspaper (unless we get a carrier with a better throw) in pj's...

Posted by: kate07 | November 16, 2007 4:21 PM

kate07 makes an excellent point, namely that while it's important to take reasonable precautions, one mustn't become phobic, either (speaking of balance!). Scientific information on such matters is our best recourse.

Posted by: mehitabel | November 16, 2007 4:26 PM

I have to admit I've been known on occassion to drop my kids off at school in my pjs - braless and all. But I'm always wearing a heaving winter coat, so no one can ever tell.

Not sure the see-through pjs you wrote about are really appropriate. The size of my body would stop me from wearing anything like that.

Posted by: gchen | November 16, 2007 5:10 PM

I know I'm late on this and that might be for the best, but I'll put this out because I know for a fact I'm not the only one doing this.

I am naked about 90% of the time I'm at home. I have robes in case someone comes to the door unexpectedly (and that does happen sometimes) and I have jammies for really cold nights when I need them.

Otherwise, I only wear nighttime sleep wear unless someone else is going to be enjoying the bed with me so I can show off.

Now personally, I don't care about public nudity either. I think it's funny that you guys all say that showing nipples isn't a big deal for breast feeding, but apparently that's just the exception. The notion that showing X amount of skin is ok but Y amount of skin is wrong is more and more ridiculous considering each generation changes its mind on exactly what X and Y are- when the human body hasn't really changed at all.

I understand that culturally we aren't ready to let go of what clothes mean to us and I actually am extremly fashion concious and love wearing clothes and costumes and dressing well- I simply don't NEED them or attach some sort of cultural OKness to them.

So again- lighten up. Enjoy freedom of expression and remember when kids would get beaten up because their hair was too long or too short or the wrong color.

Posted by: EmeraldEAD | November 19, 2007 3:12 PM

I'll go out, feed my dogs, and get the paper in flannel PJs or a T-shirt and PJ pants, but I don't consider brief trips outside my house (in a rural area) the same as going out in "public." My PJs are in no way see-through, revealing, or indecent. No braless tank tops or sheer fabrics. I do not and would not wear PJs to take my kids to school or to go to work, but if I see folks in either location in sweats, I assume they are working out en route to or from the office/school. I think if your PJs are opaque, modest, presentable and tasteful, what's the offense in wearing them on your own property? or on a quick errand where you don't get out of the car?

My flannel pajamas at my own curb, however faded, are in no way like the see-through mom walking her teenager to school. Nor is this in any way as icky as my former neighbor growing up in the suburbs who'd venture out for the paper wearing only his tighty-whities, sometimes with an open trench coat over himself on chilly days...

Posted by: chescokate | November 19, 2007 6:05 PM