The Amazing Mom Song

If you could sing a song about your work/life balance, how would it sound?

Anita Renfroe, mother of three and a comedian (totally redundant, but that is her profession), condensed years of parenting into a three minute ditty set to the William Tell Overture.

Over six million people have watched it. If you haven't seen the YouTube video yet, get to it right this minute.

Renfroe told of her inspiration to sing her heart out to the CBS Morning Show late last year. "When my three kids were under six, people used to tell me to treasure this time, if I blinked I'd miss it, Renfroe told CBS. "And I used to go home and blink and blink and they didn't go away."

Here are a few of my favorite lines (you can also check out the full lyrics). But trust me -- it's far better to hear Renfroe belt 'em out:

Answer the phone, get off the phone, don't sit so close, turn it down
Where you going and with whom and what time do you think you're coming home?
Look at me when I am talking, stand up straight when you walk
Stop crying or I'll give you something real to cry about
Brush your teeth, wash your face, get your PJs on
Get in bed, get a hug, say a prayer with Mom
Don't forget I love you

And tomorrow we will do this all again because a mom's work never ends
You don't need the reason why
Because, because, because, because
I said so, I said so, I said so, I said so
I'm the Mom, the mom, the mom, the mom, the mom
Ta-da

Words by Anita Renfroe Copyright 2007 Bluebonnet Hills Music/BMI

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  February 22, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: Is There Value in Mom-Only (or Dad-Only) Playgroups? | Next: Nutty Golfers Find Sanity

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

First!

(Moxiemom, are you Anita Renfroe? You and she seem to have a similar, um, perspective -- LOL!)

Posted by: mehitabel | February 22, 2008 8:03 AM

I LOVE this song -- if I haven't said it myself (yet), I sure heard it growing up! I particularly like, "were you born in a barn, would you like some hay?"

Posted by: laura33 | February 22, 2008 8:10 AM

My mom and I watched this together last fall -- neither one of us has ever laughed so hard!

Posted by: tntkate | February 22, 2008 8:10 AM

My kids and I have been singing it all week. It is so true and so funny.

My song today would go -- Not ANOTHER snow day with no snow!!!!

Posted by: leslie4 | February 22, 2008 8:50 AM

I just made my son listen to the song with me and we loved it! Now we're trying to piece together a system that allows me to spare the effort to repeat a huge number of those lines day in, day out. Something like "line 24, please!". Either that or playing it every morning as I wake him up...full volume!
Top favorites:
Are you hot?
Are you cold?
Are you wearing that?
Where's your books and your lunch and your homework at?
Fold your clothes
Brush your teeth
Take a bite, maybe two, of the stuff you hate
Can you even hear a word I say?
No more computer time tonight
I thank you NOT to roll your eyes at me
Were you born in a barn?
Don't get smart with me
Get in here I'll count to 3
You're too old to act this way

Posted by: portuguese-mother | February 22, 2008 9:12 AM

Bom dia, mãe portuguesa! Faz ruim por cá hoje :-( Basta do inverno -- preciso da primavera! Espero que tudo vá bem contigo e com a família hoje em dia.

Posted by: mehitabel | February 22, 2008 9:29 AM

Leslie wrote: "Not ANOTHER snow day with no snow!!!!"

Count your blessings: some of us elsewhere ARE getting snow and/or ice, and it's too late in the winter to be fun any more (not that ice ever is, of course).

Posted by: mehitabel | February 22, 2008 9:31 AM

Saw this a few months ago and love it. My favorite is:

You'll thank me for the counsel I gave to you one day
But right now I'll thank you not to roll your eyes at me

Shared it with my mom, too, she loved it. Isn't being a mom the best?

Posted by: WorkingMomX | February 22, 2008 9:59 AM

mehitabel - Hoje por cá está primavera! Sol, 20º C, flores a nascer...
(my 4 YO DD would very much like to actualy SEE snow, someday...)
abraço!

Posted by: portuguese-mother | February 22, 2008 10:06 AM

Mãe portuguesa, please trust me on this: snow is highly overrated! Maybe someday you can take your daughter to see the occasional winter snow atop the summit of Mt. Pico in Portugal's Azores Islands -- or are the Pyrennees Mountains are closer to Lisbon? (Must consult map -- LOL!).

Posted by: mehitabel | February 22, 2008 10:09 AM

Pyrenees

Posted by: mehitabel | February 22, 2008 10:19 AM

Hmm. Imagine a teenager who is being double-teamed by his mother (played by Anita Renfroe) and his father (played by The Coasters), with words by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller written just fifty years ago:

Mom:
"Answer the phone, get off the phone, don't sit so close, turn it down
No texting at the table, no more computer time tonight, your iPod's my iPod if you don't listen up."

Father:
"Take out the papers and the trash
Or you don't get no spendin' cash
If you don't scrub that kitchen floor
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
Yakety yak (don't talk back)"

Mom:
"Where you going and with whom and what time do you think you're coming home?
Look at me when I am talking, stand up straight when you walk."

Father:
"Just finish cleanin' up your room
Let's see that dust fly with that broom
Get all that garbage out of sight
Or you don't go out Friday night
Yakety yak (don't talk back)"

Mom:
"Stop crying or I'll give you something real to cry about."

Father:
"You just put on your coat and hat
And walk yourself to the laundromat
And when you finish doin' that
Bring in the dog and put out the cat
Yakety yak (don't talk back)"

Mom:
"You don't need the reason why
Because, because, because, because
I said so, I said so, I said so, I said so."

Father:
"Don't you give me no dirty looks
Your father's hip; he knows what cooks
Just tell your hoodlum friend outside
You ain't got time to take a ride
Yakety yak (don't talk back)"

Mom;
"I'm the Mom, the mom, the mom, the mom, the mom."

Father:
"Yakety yak, yakety yak
Yakety yak, yakety yak
Yakety yak, yakety yak
Yakety yak, yakety yak"

Posted by: MattInAberdeen | February 22, 2008 11:58 AM

Very cute video, and so completely true.

I can totally relate to the idea that in hindsight, it feels like our kids's childhoods go by in the blink of an eye. But sometimes, you do kind of wish the more challenging moments went by more quickly. The first 3 months of my son's life seemed to last an eternity, because he had colic. I remember wondering at the time how I would get through it. But now, I can barely remember it. I am presently enjoying the last few weeks at home with my baby daughter. This did go by in a flash, because she is such an easy baby. I feel like I could stay home another year and still not miss work. Being a mom is such a sweet and hard experience. Renfroe sure does know how to put it in a nutshell.

Posted by: emily111 | February 22, 2008 12:04 PM

I have survived the day so far, home alone with four kids, ice bound.

Matt, very funny. Tom Lehrer would be proud.

Posted by: leslie4 | February 22, 2008 4:25 PM