Naps and Balance

It is hard to believe that I am actually writing about naps and balance. However, today is Friday. We need some levity. Here goes.

For several years, naps have played a big part in my balancing act of working, raising kids, avoiding insanity, divorce, and a premature heart attack. But it wasn't always this way. In early motherhood, I tried (and mostly failed) to nap when my kids were napping. Usually, I was too desperate to squeeze in work, phone calls and laundry to succeed. I considered coffee one of the key ingredients to surviving as a working mother.

Eventually, the years of caffeination and sleep deprivation started eroding my health, concentration at work, and ability to speak civilly to my family and co-workers when under pressure. The magic solution came one day when I dropped all three kids off at their bi-weekly, hour-long computer class. I was parked in front of the storefront classroom. I thought: Why go to Giant or the post office? Why not recline the driver's seat and see if I can snooze?

I was asleep in less than five minutes.

Instead of a spare diaper, these days my computer backpack and purse have a stash of earplugs, a neckrest and an eye mask. I nap in the car several times a week while waiting for the kids at practice, birthday parties and play dates. When on business trips, I usually fall asleep before the plane takes off or the train pulls out. I've developed the ability to fall asleep in the late afternoon as the kids swarm around me in our family room. I also have, on more than one occasion, taken a short nap in the office sitting on the toilet seat in the bathroom. I was thrilled by confirmation that naps are good for you in the recent Nap Time in the Washington Post's Health section: but I didn't really need confirmation, since the results I'd experienced were so positive.

I can't overestimate how important napping is to being a good parent and productive worker. I have more patience and energy to meet my kids' needs in the late afternoons and evenings when chaos rules. I can put in an hour or two of work late at night. Napping gives me a reserve of energy and flexibility that helps me master the juggle on a daily basis.

What about you? Do you nap? Do you have another secret weapon in the juggling war? What are your tricks for finding balance?

Next week: Send me your Tips for Getting Kids, Spouses and Employees to Share Toys, Credit and Responsibilities so I can include them in next Monday's Top 10 Tips.

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  June 13, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: Life in the Break Down Lane | Next: Tips for Getting Kids, Spouses and Employees to Share

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I am jealous of people who can nap. If I fall asleep in the afternoon I am done for the day - even if it is only for a few minutes.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 13, 2008 7:32 AM

You bet I nap! I arise at 0400 (or earlier, today at 0230) on work days, and at 5 on the weekends, so I nap every day. Wasn't it Paula Poundstone who said that voluntary napping is what separates adults from children? A 4 year old will never willingly take one. I on the other hand, look forward to snuggling up on the couch after my Saturday chores, which are done by 10, since I got up so early!

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 7:34 AM

i learned the strength of th 'power nap' from my brother. lunch time i'll go to my car and doze in a heartbeat. i've perfected it to the point where i can drift off and still 'hear' the radio to wake up in time to go back to work.

Posted by: nall92 | June 13, 2008 8:05 AM

I think if you nap that often and that easily, you do not get enough sleep at night. A better nighttime sleep pattern will help you stay productive during the day. Cutting out caffeine and eating healthier foods will also help eliminate the afternoon dip in energy. I sleep 7-7.5 hours per night and do not drink caffeine (and limit my chocolate intake). Since I cut out caffeine 2.5 years ago, my energy has been much more level throughout the day.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 8:07 AM

The National Institute on Mental Health believes that a "midday snooze reverses information overload and that a 20 percent overnight improvement in learning a motor skill is largely traceable to a late stage of sleep that some early risers might be missing." And recent research from Cornell Medical Center indicates that daytime napping has little effect on both the length and quality of nighttime sleep.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 8:17 AM

I have always been a huge fan of napping. I like to stay up late at night and an occasional nap allows me to do it. My 4 yr old twins still nap about 4-5 times a week. Once they are asleep, I quickly make any phone calls that need a quiet background. Then I take the house phone off the hook, mute my cell phone and crash on the couch. If I am lucky, I can get a good 2 hour nap. But I am happy with a 20 minute power nap too. And some days I just read a book in peace for 2 hours!

Posted by: LBH219 | June 13, 2008 8:19 AM

babys1 - "...late stage of sleep that some early risers might be missing."
I too am an early riser (4:40) so it is good to know that it isn't me - it is the lack of that late stage of sleep - yay!

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 13, 2008 8:21 AM

You already know how I feel about naps. I will reprise my recent song parody about that wonderful afternoon activity. I think that Leslie at a minimum took inspiration for this column from my posting this last week. 'Fess up, Leslie!

To the tune of Silly Love Songs

You'd think that people would have had enough of daytime sleeping.
But I look around me and I don't think it is so.
Some days, I want a little daytime sleeping.
And whats wrong with that?
I'd like to know, cause there I snooze again
I love naps, I love naps,
I love naps, I love naps,
I can explain all the shades that I need, I just don't want to see!
Ah, sunshine and lights, no, not for me.
Now I don't wanna' see,
Whats wrong with that
I need to know, cause here I go again
I love naps, I need naps.

Day beds come in all sizes.
All sizes, I don't know what for.
I only know that when I'm in one.
I am sleepy, yes, I am sleepy, yes, really sleepy after all.

How can I tell you about my love for a siesta?
(I love naps)
How can I tell you about my love for a siesta?
(I love naps)
[repeat and fade]

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 8:25 AM

ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 8:46 AM

I am physicially unable to nap. I've tried, oh how I've tried. But I do appreciate the quiet time - half an hour reading a book while cozied up in my big chair, or laying down on my bed, does refresh me. But I have often been jealous of those whose bodies allow them to doze off on a Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: jb in va | June 13, 2008 8:52 AM

What I wouldn't give to be able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. I don't nap because I generally find it a fruitless exercise in trying to fall asleep but failing. The few times that I have fallen asleep.... I usually wake up worse than when I went to bed. So... no naps for me. I spend my effort on trying to get a good night's sleep.

My recent secret weapon for improving my attitude? a business trip out of town. I just took one in which I only had to work a few hours a day and I came back substantially improved with respect to attitude. I have now cut back my working hours because I think working 60 hours a week was making me cranky as I was tired all the time. Now that he makes more money in his new job, I no longer need to kill myself working 60 hours a week.

Posted by: Billie_R | June 13, 2008 8:54 AM

I have never considered napping in the middle of the day as some kind of routine thing. But maybe I'll give that a go. Leslie, you make it sound so blissful.

Anyone reading anything good lately? I just finished "Peter and the Starcatchers", a prequel to Peter Pan. I really enjoyed it.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | June 13, 2008 8:57 AM

I have been napping for years and don't have a little one yet. Between work, a husband, friends and volunteering, I needed a little extra rest on the weekend and sometimes an hour nap does it. My husband naps with me too. It is so nice to curl up next to him and rest. My guilty pleasure.

Now that we are expecting, I need the nap to get through the weekend. I had heard you get tired in the first trimester, but had no idea it would be this bad.

Tomorrow I will take a nap in the hammock with my husband. I am so looking forward to it!

Posted by: Thought | June 13, 2008 9:02 AM

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 13, 2008 9:02 AM

Posted by: | June 13, 2008 8:07 AM

I bet you're a ton of fun at parties, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 9:24 AM

Delurking...
Back when I had a job, I always wondered why we couldn't have 10-15 minutes to take a nap. I always wanted to crawl under my desk during my lunch hour, but even putting my head down for five minutes was not looked upon kindly at lunch even, so I only did that once. If I had had that time though, I think I would have been much more productive in the afternoons instead of suffering the 3 p.m. slump.

My 4 y/o DD naps occasionally now and boy, I long for the days when she took two naps a day -- one nap to sit and the other nap to read, do chores, relax, whatever.

Naps should be part of the day for everybody :)

Posted by: Vilmis | June 13, 2008 9:30 AM

the best nap is in the fall with the windows open and a cool breeze blowing just thinking about it makes me sleepy nooowwwwwww.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 9:36 AM

I also gave up the idea of being productive while the baby naps. If the baby naps, then so do I. After a nap, I am a much more cheerful fun-to-be-around person. And I still get everything done. Go Naps!

Posted by: Ishgebibble | June 13, 2008 9:51 AM

I don't usually nap -- that's my only time to get things done without a toddler vying for my attention!

But these last few weeks, first-trimester fatigue has been kicking my butt, so I've been napping when DD does. The house is a mess.

Posted by: NewSAHM | June 13, 2008 9:52 AM

Posted by: | June 13, 2008 8:07 AM

I bet you're a ton of fun at parties, too.

Yes, she is fun at parties. We are regaled with how she gets 100 mpg with her Prius.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 9:55 AM

This is the TRUTH!

Posted by: JS | June 13, 2008 9:55 AM

Naps never stop me from falling asleep at night. Lucky me.

Good books I've read lately, in the few minutes before I fall asleep:

All of the James Herriot "All Creatures Great and Small" series about being a vet in Yorkshire. Amazingly entertaining and transporting.

"Sarah's Key", fiction by Tatiana De Rosnay about a young Jewish Parisian growing up in the shadow of WWII. Completely mesmerizing. Reads like memoir.

Mostly I've be (re)reading my own book, "Crazy Love," a memoir about my first marriage to an abusive man. Just finished the copy editing. Will be published Jan 2009. Sick of reading it, excited and trepidatious about publishing it...

Posted by: Leslie | June 13, 2008 10:00 AM

"Susan Coll's "Acceptance," a novel about a bunch of nutty privileged high school seniors and their parents trying to get into college."

I haven't read that one - do the parents get into college, or don't they?

:-) :-)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 10:04 AM

Best part about watching my 10month old niece is the two hour nap in the afternoon.

I love naps, take one at least twice on the weekend. Not usually during the week, but I wouldn't count out the idea.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 10:05 AM

You still didn't answer my question, Leslie!

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 10:05 AM

Leslie,
Love the James Herriot books. I recommend all 4 in the series. Lovely. I actually read them as a teenager who loved animals, particularly horses. Great fun in the way he pokes fun at himself as a vet, shows the interesting characters all around him. I may just have to re-read!

Looking forward to your book, that's a wonderful accomplishment.

Wish I was a napper, but I've awoken from too many naps feeling groggy and with a headache. My husband naps without reservation (although he doesn't sleep as well at night).

Posted by: SJR | June 13, 2008 10:09 AM

Napping for more than 20-30 minutes but less than a full sleep cycle will leave you groggy. A full cycle of sleep lasts approximately 100-150 minutes. Most adults cycle through about 5 of them in a night. If you are taking a 20 minute nap, you are probably only getting into stages 1 & 2 of sleep, in which you disengage from consciousness and your muscles relax. If you let yourself sleep longer but awaken before getting through stage 4, you will be groggy. Experts recommend setting an alarm to wake yourself up after 30 minutes if you are concerned about napping longer.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 10:19 AM

If Leslie would answer my question, I may treat you to a new song today!

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 10:25 AM

I sometimes nap, sometimes not - if I get enough sleep during the evening, I'm usually okay. I sleep pretty well, except last night - when I couldn't fall asleep. I suspect i was anxious about my little one's appointment this morning (he had his little baby tooth removed - he was so brave. I'm the nervous wreck).

Unfortunately, I can sit up late at night and not feel tired, so that makes me tired the next day.

Every once in a while, during a work day, I'd leave in the afternoon telling boss I was exhausted, and went home to take a nap. That was nice.

When I was pregnant with number one, I would take a nap in the afternoon in the room where the moms would pump. Even 20 minutes would get me enough to go back to work - otherwise, I could hardly see straight! Then I would go home, we'd make dinner, I'd eat, and go straight to bed (7 PM latest) - I was so tired with the first kid...

Posted by: atlmom | June 13, 2008 10:27 AM

Love naps when I can get 'em! I feel so lucky that my kids are old enough now that I can go upstairs on a weekend day and trust they'll holler for me if they set anything on fire. If anything, a nap helps reduce my stress and makes it easier for me to fall asleep at night. Nothing like spending an evening pushing myself to stay awake and get things done -- then I can't downshift when it's time to sleep.

Posted by: anne | June 13, 2008 10:29 AM

I can't nap. I would love to, but everytime I do I end up having nightmares that night.

I have no idea what the correlation is, but for me it's 100% of the time true.

Posted by: kim | June 13, 2008 10:35 AM

i get plenty of sleep at night bed by 9 or 10 up by 4:30 or 5. no alarm

i think i learned the art of falling asleep at the drop of a hat from road trips when i was younger. family would drive from new york to alabama non stop (in those days this was a 22 hr drive). well what else could a preteen do other than fight with the younger brother or ask 'are we there yet? are we there yet?' i think mom told me to take a nap and before i knew it we were there! the best part was waking up at 1 am and looking out the window at a full moon and the stars

ever since those trips napping was easy but kinda lost the art until i became an adult, hit the stress of the working world and rediscovered it and renamed it the Power Nap :)

Posted by: nall92 | June 13, 2008 10:39 AM

I used to nap everyday after school and work. I was also a very heavy sleeper. Slept though blaring house alarms and people yelling for me, etc. Nowadays, I wake at the drop of a pin and find myself battling insomnia almost every night. When I used to nap after working 6-3 I was very refreshed. If I could fall asleep, I suspect napping would help me today too! For those who can fall asleep so easily, count your blessings.

Posted by: FloridaChick | June 13, 2008 10:51 AM

Flordia Chick,

A bit of funny backstory to my "Daytime Sleeping" parody. I sent it to my brother who sent it to one of his co-workers. The woman burst out laughing. The poor thing is a narcoleptic. She has pills to keep her awake at work and pills to put her to sleep at night.

She really did like the parody, so close to home for her.

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 11:02 AM

Another book! Yay, Leslie!

Posted by: WorkingMomX | June 13, 2008 11:04 AM

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 13, 2008 9:02 AM

__________________________________

As someone who generally is unable to nap, and wakes up groggy and grumpy (nice alliteration, KLB), I would love to know this. More importantly, is there anything I can do to change?

Posted by: DCD | June 13, 2008 11:05 AM

Doesn't this have to do with people's abilities to fall more deeply asleep more quickly, i.e., if you fall deeply asleep in that 15-20 minutes, you will wake up feeling rather differently than someone who only sleeps lightly for that same amount of time?

Posted by: WorkingMomX | June 13, 2008 11:12 AM

DD (age 3)is a great napper at her grandmas' homes, but always (fiercely) resisted being "put down for a nap" at home on the weekends. Then I tried bringing her on to Mom and Dad's bed, turning the TV to the home shows (with the volume way down), and reading to her there. Sometimes I'm not sure which of us falls asleep first. I typically doze for a 20-30 mins; she'll get in a at least an hour more. A true win-win! We're both refreshed and feeling happy when dad gets home from work.

Posted by: TriciaGray | June 13, 2008 11:18 AM

i know that your best/deepest sleep occurs during rem and i have been told (when at home and napping) that my eyes are moving. i can only assume that for a power nap i drop directly into rem sleep for about 15 minutes.

all i know is that i feel great!

Posted by: nall92 | June 13, 2008 11:26 AM

Best nap ever: during summer rainstorm with the windows open to let in the breeze.

When I first started my napping career, I was a groggy waker. Now my body seems to have adjusted. Even if I sleep only for 5-20 minutes I awake refreshed.

A lot of moms I know, esp. stay-at-home moms, feel guilty about napping. As if they haven't earned it. I think we need to start a napping support group to eliminate the guilt.

Posted by: Leslie | June 13, 2008 11:30 AM

I'll nap when I retire in 20 years

Posted by: pepperjade | June 13, 2008 11:36 AM

"Why are some people able to nap for 15-20 mins and wake up and feel refreshed while others wake up and are groggy and grumpy and craving more sleep?"

I'm one of those people that can fall asleep anytime, anywhere. I've fallen asleep standing up riding home on the Metro train, in mid-sentence talking with my supervisor, at hockey/sports games, and when my family went to the circus a few weeks ago, I started out the excitement by taking a 20 minute nap.

Of course it helps seeing nothing but pitch black 24/7 and driven to exhaustion by the daily challange of overcoming a severe disability to remain a productive member of society...

Though I'm not a sleep scientist, I know when I get tired what I'm really craving is a dream. In fact, many times, I'll start dreaming before I fall asleep. At this point I've reached the state of exhaustion, but I think it's really cool because this is the only time I experience visual images while I'm conscience. After I get my dreams in, and it only takes a few minutes, I'll be good to go.

I've also noticed that exercise, (my solution to just about everything), especially in the form of weight training, boosts the intensity of the dreams, puts me into deeper sleep, and I am much more refreshed after waking up.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 13, 2008 11:43 AM

Ok, Songster take this!

The tune is The 59th Street Bridge Song

Slow down, you wake too fast.
You got to make nap time last.
Just thinking 'bout the Rolling Stones.
Dreaming for fun and feelin' sleepy.
Feeling sleepy....

Hello bedpost,
What cha' knowing?
I've come to let my thoughts start flowing.
Ain't cha' got no REM for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' sleepy.

Got no meetings to do,
No documents to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let Morpheus drop all its petals on me.
Naps, I love you,
All is groovy.

Posted by: Fred | June 13, 2008 11:50 AM

On Topic to Babsy1

I would think you would get plenty of sleep during the Padre's games. Most are such snoozers!

Posted by: Fred | June 13, 2008 11:56 AM

Oh yea Fred, take this!

To the tune of Summertime Blues

Well I'm a-gonna raise a fuss, I'm gonna raise a holler
About workin all summer, being up twenty-fours hours
Everytime I try to break, it's something I just cannot make
My baby says, no dice, mom, I'm keeping your up late
Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do
But you just can't lose with a Summertime Snooze

Well my mom 'n' papa told me, you're not acting very sunny
Go back to bed, take a nap, you're acting real funny
Well I didn't go to bed and now I feel really sick
Now I can't drive the car cause I feel tighter than a tick
Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do
I really need a very long Summertime Snooze

I'm gonna nap for two weeks, gonna nap for vacation
I'm gonna take my problem to the Sominex nation
Well I called my doctor and he said quote
That drug may help you some, but you'll feel quite remote!
Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do
I really, really need to take a Summertime Snooze

Well I'm a-gonna raise a fuss, I'm gonna raise a holler
About workin all summer being up twenty-four hours
Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do
You just can't lose with a Summertime Snooze

Yeah, sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do
You just can't lose with a Summertime Snooze
No you just can't lose with a Summertime Snooze

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 12:07 PM

"On Topic to Babsy1

I would think you would get plenty of sleep during the Padre's games. Most are such snoozers"

Obviously you missed yesterday's score, 2 homers before an out was even recorded in the first inning. Oh, and did I mention that it was 72 degrees, breezy, and sunny?

To all those wondering why 15-20 minutes leaves you groggy instead of refreshed: the research says that your body is telling you that you are sleep-deprived. If you sleep more (and most of us have a sleep deficit of at least an hour a night, since we sleep fewer than the usual 7-9 hours), you will find that the 15-20 minute nap refreshes you.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 12:23 PM

Big round of applause for Songster and Fred!

I'm not a napper, and apparently I never was even as a child. According to my mother, even as a newborn I never slept more than 12 hours out of 24. At 5 on a family roadtrip from Idaho to Texas, I couldn't sleep in the family stationwagon, and it was the last time my parents did that trip straight through. After that, they always stopped halfway to spend a night in a motel. They could get me to sleep in a bed, but not in the car.

Older son's sleep habits have been just like the descriptions of my childhood, so I think there must be some sort of hereditary factors.

I sleep well at night, and usually am awake a few minutes before the alarm goes off in the morning. When I'm tired and it's time to sleep, I'm out in about 5-10 minutes. Even if there's a lot on my mind, I can just shut it all down. That was *really* useful in Air Force basic training.

A few people around my work do power naps, and it seems fine with management. As long as the work gets done is the overall culture, here.

Good book I'm currently reading - _Daywatch_ by Sergei Lukyanenko, translated from Russian by Andrew Bromfield. It's the second book in the Nightwatch trilogy, and I don't usually get into occult/fantasy/horror (although I love sci fi), but the writing is just amazingly good. And the translation, too!

Posted by: Sue | June 13, 2008 12:38 PM

Other than post-intimacy naps, the most perfect nap is a milk coma -- nursing baby drops off to sleep about the time your eyes shut in complete relaxation.

Posted by: Day Napper | June 13, 2008 12:46 PM

Ahhh, the post-intimacy nap, how I miss it!! Optimal nap time for me 40 mins. Any less and I'm unfulfilled, any more and I'm just groggy for a full hour after I wake up then up at night. That said, can't remember the last time I napped! I always start feeling like a nap, at about 2 or 3, when the kids are coming home from school. Oh, well, much like the silk sofa, that will have to wait until they leave!

Posted by: moxiemom | June 13, 2008 12:53 PM

Suite Francaise, by Irene Nemirovsky - my book club loved, loved, loved it! Nemirovsky was a celebrated Jewish French novelist who was writing these novellas before she was sent to the concentration camps, where she was killed. Her daughters discovered the manuscripts 40 years later in a suitcase. They had assumed the manuscript was a diary. It is a stunning, beautifully written work.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 12:57 PM

Posted by: Day Napper | June 13, 2008 12:46 PM

Day Napper - I totally relate. Nothing like nursing a baby to relax you. I am nursing my 6 month old, and it is wonderfully relaxing and sleep-inducing. There is nothing like sleeping with a warm baby in your arms. Heaven.

Posted by: Emily | June 13, 2008 1:16 PM

Last year I got a blood clot in my leg which required me to be hospitalized. To prevent this from happening again, my doctor told me I should elevate my legs several times a day.

So now when my supervisor walks in my office and finds me motionless, kicked back in my chair with my feet propped up on my desk, I can tell him - "Hey, doctor's orders".

And no, it's not sleeping on the job, it's called thinking with my eyes closed.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 13, 2008 1:21 PM

DandyLion, don't tell your supervisor that you can accomplish the same thing by merely flexing your toes towards your nose several times an hour. I like your solution better.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 1:25 PM

Blame Fred and Songster for this, they started it!

With sincere apologies to Phil and Don Everly:

Slee-ee-ee-ee-eep, sleep, sleep, sleep
Slee-ee-ee-ee-eep, sleep, sleep, sleep
When I've had enough, of all this crap
And I want to, take a nap
Whenever I want to, all I have to do is
Slee-ee-ee-ee-eep, sleep, sleep, sleep

When I want you, in the day
And we've just gone, all the way
Whenever I've had you, all I want to do is
Slee-ee-ee-p.

I can just not think, catch those 40 winks,
Anytime - hit the hay!
Only trouble is, gee whiz
I'm sleepin' my life away

I just get so tired, I could doze
Driving down, all those roads
Whenever I'm tired, all I want to do, is
Slee-ee-ee-ee-eep, sleep, sleep, sleep
Slee-ee-ee-ee-eep

Posted by: ArmyBrat | June 13, 2008 2:24 PM

I suspect DandyLion's supervisor long ago decided that engaging in verbal sparring with Dandy was a losing proposition -- for the supervisor, LOL.

I nap like Leslie on occasion. Out of necessity. Easily. While waiting for some dance lesson or other 45 min. /1 hour practice to end. It's the finest use of that time I can imagine and the kid/s will knock on the window when practice is over.

Posted by: MN | June 13, 2008 2:26 PM

40-Love ArmyBrat.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 2:34 PM

While I think everyone should stop working to the clock and focus on getting the job done well and on time, I do hope that they won't use napping as an excuse to continue bad bedtime sleeping habits.

I also am not a napper- I don't get to sleep quickly, but when I do I go deep. I don't wake up refreshed, just irked that I have to wake up.

But having time to decompress in ANY way is something that would be great for all workers to have.

Posted by: Liz D | June 13, 2008 2:38 PM

Babsy1 - gotta second your endorsment of Suite Francaise! Beautiful, wonderful book. The back story makes it even more of a lovely treasure! I wish my French were still good enough to read it in French, I can't imagine how lovely it must be! I've got to get to the other one they just put out from her.

Posted by: Moxiemom | June 13, 2008 2:51 PM

Way to go Army Brat!

But 2:34, the score is"

Songster 2
Fred & AB tied at 1

(or do you need another rousing chorus of "MattMatt ArmyBrat"?)

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 3:10 PM

We also loved:
The Tender Bar
Blessings
A Year of Wonders
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Plainsong
Empire Falls
Life of Pi
Writings from the New Yorker (EB White)
Garlic & Sapphires
Dearest Friend.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 3:39 PM

"on more than one occasion, taken a short nap in the office sitting on the toilet seat in the bathroom"

Posted by: flush | June 13, 2008 3:40 PM

someone needs a nap...

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 3:42 PM

"and on many more than one occasion was an "on balance" blog created on that same toilet seat....."

Inspiration is where you find it!

Posted by: The Muse | June 13, 2008 3:47 PM

To the tune of Day Tripper. Some obscure musical group recorded this song.

Got a good reason for taking the drowsy way out
Got a good reason for taking the drowsy way out now

She was a day napper, just one way to bed yeah
It took me so long to find out, and I found out

She's a big sleeper, she took half the bed in there
She's a big sleeper, she took half the covers in there now

She was a day napper, just one more hour yeah
She took so long to wake up to wake up to wake up

Tried to spoon with her, she only looked at the night stand
Tried to snuggle with her, she only looked at the night stand now

She was a day napper, Sunday napper yeah
It took me so long to find out, and I found out

Day napper
Day napper yeah

Day napper
Day napper yeah...

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 3:55 PM

Not to be a negative nancy, but naps have never really worked for me. I LOVE taking them, but I wake up groggy and cranky, especially if it's hot. Like the first poster, I'm done for the rest of the day. I could never do a "power nap"--it usually took me 20 minutes to fall asleep anyway--I had to nap for at least two hours, or I was even more crabby. Exception: finals month in law school. I perfected the art of napping for 20 minutes and waking up refreshed and ready to go study again. I think it was anxiety. But now that finals are over, if I fall asleep in the middle of the day, it's going to be for a good long time.

Posted by: Mona | June 13, 2008 3:56 PM

songster uses the move number of words. Fred's song is, well, too toe-tapping to be a good nap song. AB's entry wins the war with just the right tone.

Posted by: dotted | June 13, 2008 3:57 PM

Dotted,

What is the "move number" of words?

(and which of my 3 songs were you referring to?)

Again, congrats to AB. Particularly for his 2nd stanza!

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 4:04 PM

more number I typoed

sheer quantity of troups loses to quality (think Thermopylae for 3 days)

and let the bombs fall where they may (just try to miss me please!)

Posted by: dotted | June 13, 2008 4:07 PM

Dotted,

Are you accusing me of using the Hillary gambit? I had more songs therefore I should win? I can recognize the quality of number of delegates!

Posted by: Songster | June 13, 2008 4:10 PM

Hey, this isn't a competition! It's a Friday, time to kick back and relax. Besides, I've never won a writing contest in my life.

(I was worried the second stanza might be seen as a bit risque, but after all the other mentions of intimacy naps, I figured what the heck... :-)

(Off-topic note: Italy tied Romania, 1-1, in the European soccer championships; and the Dutch are beating the French 2-0. So if the Netherlands throws the match against the Romanians, the result is that both the French and Italians are eliminated. Ooh, a good conspiracy theory!)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | June 13, 2008 4:10 PM

AB...shush....I'm trying to 'get' Songster....he he he.

offtopic: now this conspiracy theory ranks with the NBA refs!

Posted by: dotted | June 13, 2008 4:23 PM

I just heard that Tim Russert died this afternoon of a heart attack. I feel like I have just been punched in the stomach. Sundays will never be the same again.

Posted by: Emily | June 13, 2008 4:27 PM

Tim Russert? Is this a joke?

Posted by: babsy1 | June 13, 2008 4:56 PM

No, no joke. Russert is dead.

Posted by: Fred | June 13, 2008 4:57 PM

Emily - just hear too and I second your sentiments. Really surprising. I don't ususally get teary over a stranger, but he seemed like a good guy. How sad for his wife and son and with father's day approaching.

Posted by: moxiemom | June 13, 2008 4:58 PM

It's just heartbreaking. I can hardly believe it. The timing is awful in many ways. Just before Father's Day. And I can't help but think that he would have hated to miss this election season. It's strange. I never knew him personally, but I feel so bereft.

Posted by: Emily | June 13, 2008 5:12 PM

fr songster:

>...(or do you need another rousing chorus of "MattMatt ArmyBrat"?)<

Nooooooo, Songster, not THAT! Not SpongeBob again! It took the whole afternoon to get THAT song out of my head!

Posted by: Alex | June 13, 2008 5:14 PM

Fred's Occasional Quote of the Day Awards

The "Sitting on the Pot taking a Nap" Special Edition

to Day Napper for

"Other than post-intimacy naps..."

to ArmyBrat* for

"When I want you, in the day
And we've just gone, all the way
Whenever I've had you, all I want to do is
Slee-ee-ee-p."

to DandyLion who only follow's doctor's orders at work!

The Creepy Van (tm) is fun-tional at this moment. Enjoy the ride!

*as a special condition of AB's award, he is obligated to fix the Creepy Van (tm) when (and not if) it breaks down while he is riding in it.

Posted by: Fred | June 13, 2008 6:08 PM

Here's my standing ovation for all the song parodies today!

And it's a good think my cube-neighbors are used to me - with all the giggling I've been doing, they might have thought I was losing my marbles.

Posted by: Sue | June 13, 2008 6:40 PM