Snapshots and Soundtracks

On Wednesday, Laura posted this comment:

"I was driving to the gym and I passed this convertible, top down, blonde ponytailed woman driving, with a friend in the passenger seat and a ponytailed girl in back. And I thought, now, THAT's Moxie Mom. Or, you know, at least how I like to think of you. :-)"

And this got me thinking: How do we see each other on this blog?

We've been posting and laughing and fighting and explaining ourselves to one another for more than two years now. But most of us have never met or heard one another's voices. It's like stopping by your neighborhood park to see what your friends are up to -- except we never actually see each other, or even know each other's real names. Over the course of more than 500 columns and 100,000 comments, I've learned a lot about how deeply we all care about juggling work and family, but I've never learned what any of you look like.*

So today, for our Friday entertainment describe your mental images of your most memorable On Balance posters.

*Actually, Fred sent me a picture. Such a sweet guy. Cute, too.

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  June 6, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Free-for-All
Previous: Coaching Girls | Next: Giving Your Kids (and Yourself) a Balanced Summer

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Hey, you know what I look like -- I have your cat! :-)

But what I want to know is who Fred is supposed to look like. . . .

Posted by: Laura | June 6, 2008 7:48 AM

I'll lead.

Emily - I picture as looking like Eve Ensler.

Laura - Julianna Moore - the kind of mom who just shakes her head with an exasperated smile at those irrascible kids.

Army Brat - still has the haircut, about 5 foot 9 and muscular.

Patrick - thin is alll I come up with on that.

Megan's Neighbor - medium brown hair, blunt cut above the shoulder, the kind of mom who is totally competent at everything but also knows how to be fun.

Songster - sorry but Marty Culp (Will Ferrell skit on SNL) is stuck in my head.

Mona - redhead, curvy.

Foamgnome - foxy librarian. Looks all buttoned up, but when she takes off the glasses, lets the hair down and puts a little paint on the pony, lookout!

KLB - anyone watch American Gladiators? Crush.

WOrking momX and MDMom- Don't have a vibe on the hair color, but I see you as an fun mommies who take no baloney. You've both got the balance down between being fun and raising decent, respectable, responsible kids.

Chasmosaur - I'm stuck with a dinosaur with a lady face. The "saur" has always gotten me stuck.

Leslie - I know what you look like, but I also imagine you as pretty well dressed, even at the soccer games and one of those girls who generally repells wrinkles, you know, someone who can wear linnen on a summer day and not end up looking like a sweaty, wrinkled mess.

That's it for now. I'm going to take my ponytailed behind off to the gym.

Posted by: moxiemom | June 6, 2008 7:48 AM

Are we going to dispell the myths or smile and stay silent?

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 7:54 AM

I wondered about these myths myself! Who knows? maybe the myths are better. whatever better is.

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 7:57 AM

anybody else crack up with moxie's 'ponytailed behind' comment?

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 7:58 AM

Leslie asked me for a song for today. So think Who Am I by the Who!

Who are you?
Who, who, who, who? Leslie?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who? MN?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who? Maryland Mom?

I woke up in a internet doorway
A man named Matt knew my name
He said you can use the keyboard tonight
If you can get up and type away

I staggered back to the blogging ground
And the spinach blew all thru my hair
I remember throwin' facts around
And snarkin' to anyone who may care

(Chorus)
Well, who are you? (who, who, who, who? Fred )
Well, who are you? (who, who, who, who? Dandy L. )
I really wanna' know
I really wanna' know
Tell me, who are you? (who are you? who, who, who, who? Laura )
Tell me, who are you? (who are you? who, who, who, who? Mona)
cause I really wanna' know
cause I really wanna' know

I took a trip to the back of town
Back to lay some money down
I felt a little like a writing like a clown
Like a million monkeys writin' it all down

I looked back and I yelped on what I saw
A dozen attorneys talking & billin' a busy day
Eleven more, all a flashin' in the pan
God, there's got to be another way

Who are you? (who, who, who, who, Mona)
Who are you? (who, who, who, who Liza B)

Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Babsy?
Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Kate?

Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Anon?
Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Anon?
'Cause I really don't wanna' know
No, I really don't wanna' know

I know there's a place you can talk
Where all can really shoot the breeze
My heart is like a full cup
But you should never let it freeze

Who are you Who, who who who Pepperjade
Who are you? Who, who, who who, regular lurker.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 7:58 AM

Leslie,

I sent you a pix? I don't remember unless it was that one of me in Nam standing in front of the bomb shelter. Ye gads, I was 19 in that pix!

Leslie blonde tall and wearing heels all the time.

KLB with an actual nurse's uniform on and hair still pulled back in a military manner.

Dandylion is a roly poly type with a fuzzy beard, a smile on his face and a laugh always in his voice.

Pepperjade, a smallish, dark complexed woman with a sharp comment and piercing eyes.

Mona, defiantly Gen X with many tattoos.

Emily & Laura medium height, medium hair length with their lawyer power suit and pumps.

Army Brat has the buzz cut, two pocket protectors, glasses and a disheveled look about him.

Matt has an absent minding look on his face with some old book shoved under his arm.

Lynne is tall and svelte with beautiful flowing gray hair.

Babsy1 wears scrubs all the time, is of small stature and very serious.

Old Bam, walks around saying Yes sir and No ma'am and that is simply outstanding.

(I will probably think of some more later.)

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 8:10 AM

Dotted is tall and tan and wears T-shirts with funny (but not crude) sayings on them.

Dandylion looks like a lovable bear of a guy.

MN is very tall, wears power suits and walks quickly - has a no-nonsense attitude about her but knows how to laugh.

Army Brat has the short, military hair cut - graying at the sides and wears glasses, dockers and short sleeved shirts with an ID clipped to the pocket or collar.

Fred is a slightly older version of Clarke Gable in Gone With the Wind.

I have seen Leslie on tv so that isn't any fun.

Babys1 definately wears scrubs - no white uniform. She is medium height with short, easy hair.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 8:33 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that whisk broom in AB's back pocket!

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 8:34 AM

In reality, all the women are beauty queens and all the men are movie stars in the eyes of those who love them.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 8:35 AM

My good friend Kate07 is your quintessential SoCal girl. Slim, blonde with the latest styles always going to yoga.

Flordiachick is your quintessential Florida girl. Wears bikini tops, shorts, sandals and always is going by the beach or pool.

PT Fed Mof2 is always so busy that she flashes by and we really don't get a good look at her.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 8:48 AM

I cannot bear to dispel the mythical me, dancing around my house in high heels and pearls...really, just exactly like a modern day Grace Kelly.

Emily I think of with straight black hair, very sensible glasses and clothes and manicured no-polish nails but everything has a hint of deviousness.

Father of four is a big handsome Virginia redneck with lots of muscles and jeans, flannel shirt, stubble. His wife is long suffering and the sensible one who pays the bills -- she is like the adult while he is just another kid. His actual kids adore him and are constantly trying to play tricks on him and laughing at him (in a good way).

And yes, that's true, Laura and I have met so no myths to eradicate. But I do imagine your house! Old wood, long on charm, lots of small intriguing rooms.

VegasMom I think of as a tall, rangy, sexy redhead.

Single Western Mom is a blonde, tough, cowgirl type.

Matt from Aberdeen wears glasses and is a geeky shortempered but very smart man who holes up in the den with his computer for very long stretches by himself. He takes everything in life a bit too seriously but is redeemed by an astonishingly resilient intellectual curiosity about other people's views.

Babysy1 strikes me as young, sassy and wise, very cute, short, really cleancut and looks like she is getting her MBA.

People who just use initials are a lot harder to imagine.

Mehitabel looks like a mean old toad with short graying black hair, thick glasses she never bothers to polish and lots of moles on her face.

MoxieMom absolutely drives a red convertible!

ArmyBrat is tall, older, fit but not skinny, gruff with short hair and an imperious but somehow also avuncular manner. The type who would hold the door for you but also lecture you on everything you've done wrong in life.

This is a very strange and somehow embarrassing exercise -- it obviously says more about the inner workings of my mind (projection). But it is amazing how vividly personalities come across just via words on a screen!

Posted by: Leslie | June 6, 2008 8:58 AM

Thanks Fred! I imagine you as one of my old professors named Fred- very jocular, funny, lots of wise things to say, a little of a beer belly.

altmom I imagine as a tough as nails lady wearing a powersuit with immaculate makeup and a perfect hairstyle.

Father of Four has always been like Homer on the Simpsons, a modern tv dad very unaware of everything going on around him, but dedicated to his family.

babsy1 I thought of as a small and slight woman with graying hair who is a quiet nurse that doesn't bother you with inane chatter while you're convalescing in the hospital.

I always imagine the anons as trolls or as very unattractive types trying to make up for it with their snarky comments!

I will think of more later!

Posted by: FloridaChick | June 6, 2008 9:32 AM

I forgot ArmyBrat! I imagine him as an senior manager type, no pens in his pockets. I've been hanging around too many engineers as of late so I don't have the stereotypes of them anymore! He's very technically oriented and uses too many technical phrases when he speaks!

Father of 3 (where did you go?) I imagine as the hip dad who dresses in trendy clothes and is pretty young and attractive.

I don't remember her screenname, but the female chemical engineer I imagine in a white lab coat, glasses, dark hair swept up in a French twist and 4 inch stilettos.

Leslie, I've seen your picture but I don't imagine you in heels cleaning your house. I actually can see you like mothers I've nannied for- frazzled and lucky if her socks match! Not in a bad way, but a silly way!:)

Posted by: FloridaChick | June 6, 2008 9:37 AM

Laura, I really don't think that I will tell you the movie character that some people say I am like. Nothing wrong with the character, he was the cog in the wheel that made everything run smoothly when all hell was breaking loose. I just don't want that mental image stuck in your collective heads.

But I will tell you who has come closest if we get some more images.

F.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 9:44 AM

Fo4 equals Homer, Doh!

How about a Duff?

Posted by: Marge | June 6, 2008 9:48 AM

I like to picture the nastiest, go-for-the-throat types who post here--that is, the ones who don't use any name at all, or who make up names like "You all are morons." I see them as mousy and shy in real life, then roaming cyberspace looking for opportunities to express their pent up frustration and bitterness. I also can't help but picture them as "older." There is a huge generational difference, I find, between commenters on blogs geared at "millennials" and those geared at, well, not necessarily the 20-30something set. I find that the younger the audience of a particular blog, the more likely the vast majority of posters will be very upbeat and complimentary. There are always haters, but there are definitely way more on this blog than on others I read.

I also still find it hilarious that, when I did a guest post last summer, someone looked at my blog--which had a picture of me--the discussion turned to how I looked like a former cheerleader or something. NOT! I don't see myself that way at all.

Posted by: Maggie | June 6, 2008 9:52 AM

I'm pretty bad at this.

But, ArmyBrat: Probably someone like most of my profs in grad school - not quite as absent minded though - aging gracefully, greying hair, tall, muscular.

Laura: Long blonde hair, suits many days, but more casual most, tall, heels, blue eyes, too.

Emily, on the shorter side (like me!) - short blonde/brownish hair, brown eyes, petite.

Moxiemom - what they said. no really, medium length dark brown hair, straight, devilish smile.

Fred - tall, greying, slim, teddy bearish.

KLB - medium build, medium height, brownish hair, straight, medium/long length.

dotted: medium length brown hair, pretty do, slender.

Chasmosaur: tall.

This is hard...

Boy, FC, do you have me the complete opposite!

Posted by: atlmom | June 6, 2008 9:53 AM

Fred, no fair! I thought you promised that, if Leslie used your idea, you'd tell!

I will say in my mind's eye, you are about 5'11", medium build, dark hair (with peeks of grey around the temples) and eyes, hair short but not military fuzz, still have that erect military bearing but maybe 10 lbs over your "playing weight," a little softer around the edges.

I see AB as about 6'2", very short hair, stocky build but in that "solid" way (ie, not fat, more like former gym teacher).

FO4, I always envisioned as maybe 5'10", sandy brown hair, slighter build, fairly constant half-smile on his face.

Leslie, my impression of Mehitabel was exactly the opposite of yours: I see her as fairly small and slight, greying shoulder-length hair, fairly quiet and mild-mannered until someone riles her up.

atlmom: ok, you're going to laugh at this. I misread your screen name for the first few weeks, and developed this mental image of tye-dyes, Tevas, and long dark hair in a casual ponytail. So now I basically have no image of you, because that one was clearly wrong, but I can't get it out of my head!

Now the trolls, on the other hand: I see an overweight 29-yr-old, still fighting the pimples, living in his mom's basement, doing the Beavis + Butthead "heh heh heh" as he sends out obnoxious missives that make him feel powerful.

Oh: and if y'all want to think of me as Julianne Moore, I will do absolutely nothing to try to disabuse you of that notion. :-)

Posted by: Laura | June 6, 2008 10:08 AM

Except I never wear a suit. :-)

Posted by: Laura | June 6, 2008 10:10 AM

Fred is Paul Newman
Freida is Jean Harlow
atlmom is Judy Garland
Moxie and MN are both Grace Kelly
ArmyBrat is Kevin Costner
Emily is Demi Moore (younger version)
KLB is Sandra Bullock
FloridaChick is, well, probably too cute to be a film star, so I'll have to go with the younger Madonna

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 10:15 AM

Leslie - Birkenstocks or clogs, khakis, perpetually wearing the shirt she is wearing in the blog photo. Clean, but cluttered house, messy desk.

AB - Muscular, buzzcut, strong jaw. Like a tough high school gym teacher, but smart!

Fred & Dandylion - They look like brothers! Graying hair, funny, sweet dads, forever getting on their wives nerves but then sweetly making it up to them.

Laura - Dark hair, swarthy, dresses in black suits. Is a powerful, tough businesswoman but very loving mother

Foamgnome - She's a very pretty and very pregnant gnome!

Posted by: Bea Elle | June 6, 2008 10:18 AM

I am short (5'), with greying short hair (started in nursing school) and I do wear scrubs (baseball-related) except when doing formal presentations. I'm working on my PhD.
AB: Ed Harris
MoxieMom: The woman who played Dave Barry's wife on the sitcom Dave's World
Songster: Corporate lawyer type, 3 piece suit.
Product of a Working Mom: short hair, low-heeled shoes, wears trousers (not pantsuits!)
Fred: Robert Duvall
Florida Chick: tan, thin, wears flipflops
MN: glasses, chin-length hair, brown eyes, jeans & tee shirts

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 10:19 AM

foamgnome! Lucy Liu, definitely. And I hope foamie has those cute Lucy Liu freckles too.

Dandylion: The Terminator, of course

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 10:20 AM

when I compared Fred to Robert Duvall, it was as the father in The Great Santini.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 10:22 AM

Laura - rose colored glasses with pink frames, freckles, teddy bear build, drives an old Camry

Fred - The scholarly yet rough cut Indiana Jones look

Pepperjade - Medium height, slender, a very good looker with soft green eyes, sharp dresser

Emily - curly brown hair, cute button nose and top heavy

Moxiemom - Looks like typical member of Swedish ski team

Batsie - short, medium build, bobbed haircut and eyes that dart around and will look right into the pupils or your eyes to examine your soul

KLB - Long hair, fine but thick and curly at the bottom, rosey cheeks, small feet, covers horn with one hand when she drives

BTW: (All nurses are gorgeous)

Chasmosaur - large round eyes, medium length, well manicured fingernails

Newslinks - cute, adorable even in those black stretch pants, everything about her says "cute" especially her voice

foamgnome - 95 pounder, usually looks serious but when she smiles you can see her pearly white perfectly strait teeth, medium length strait black hair, carries laptop

Army Brat - thin, Very clean cut, good physical shape, buzz cut

Irish Girl - Inocently sexy like the girl next door, speaks with country accent, really pretty eyes, has both pleasant smile and devilish grin

FloridaChick - sparkling eyes and always wearing a smile because the corners of her mouth turns up from squinting at the sun

atlmom - looks like the Hostess mom as seen on TV

LizaBean - plain earthy look from distance, shy, but closer look reveals that she is extremely attractive

Leslie - tall, slender, honey blond, What's the word? Hot, that's it, hot.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 6, 2008 10:28 AM

Dandylion - you made me spew water all over the keyboard when I started reading about the horn. I thought you were talking about the one on my head and I couldn't figure out how you knew.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 10:34 AM

You all have me smiling! Maybe at the end of the day I'll tell you what I really look like!

I'd like to give some other descriptions but have a hard time! I see Songster as the guy always pulling pranks at the office. He's almost like Drew from Office Space in his demeanor. Shandra I see as a free spirit, wrapped in furs up in Canada enjoying her healthcare! All the federal workers I imagine as little bees buzzing around the fed office. They all have on gray/blue suits with chin length hair.

Get Real I see as someone with an office, door always closed and probably the guy that his subordinates try to avoid making angry. He's probably 40s/50s and is annoyed by the younguns who slack off and don't devote 60 hours a week to work.

Now this is my idea of a Friday!

Posted by: FloridaChick | June 6, 2008 10:44 AM

"interesting moral compass" is skinny, tall, wears thick glasses, is balding, and wears his remaing greasy hair in a thin ponytail.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 10:45 AM

I always thought 'interesting moral compass" was...oh what was that character's name in MIB....you know that teacher of Will Smith's who he just knew was an alien from Venus or something????

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 10:50 AM

atlmom - can't believe I forgot you - Laura Dern.

Dotted - the raspy voiced one on 30 something.

Irishgirl - I'm stuck with an image of St. Paulies girl but with a stroller - its a little weird.

Fred, tell me its Steve McQueen? I love him.

DandyLion - Seth Rogan, but older.

Posted by: moxiemom | June 6, 2008 10:50 AM

This is making the transfusion audit, to be followed by the Patient Education Documentation audit much more palatable.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 10:53 AM

Now I'm never going to read Irishgirl and not have the St Paulies girl with a stroller image go through my head! I love it

Moxie: do you have a convertible? It is way too hot today to drive with the top down, though I braved it anyways early this morning.

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 10:54 AM

Maybe ArmyBrat would rather be Clint Eastwood? The Make-my-Day version.... Solves all problems with one weapon, though AB's weapon is duct tape! Of course!

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 11:04 AM

dotted: Amy Madigan
ATL Mom: I think you're my sister, actually - Laurie, is that you? Short, brown hair, thin, takes no nonsense.
DandyLion: Older Kevin Costner
KLB: Emma Thompson
Fof4: Leon Ames (the father in Meet Me in St. Louis).

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 11:07 AM

Sorry for branching off, but I couldn't resist!

ArmyBrat: Wise man sitting at the top of the mountain wearing a karate gi

Foamgnome: Pregnant travelocity gnome saying "Am I going to pop soon?"

DandyLion: Homer Simpson.

Bob: Dilbert

Fred: Santa Claus

Me: 5-lb Dark Chocolate Bar

Posted by: PakeMommy | June 6, 2008 11:13 AM

I have to admit, that I simply assume all the identified guys are either Don Cheadle or Gene Kelly (okay, there are those who may look more like Walter Matthau, but that's not a bad thing). All the women are either Josephine Baker or Katharine Hepburn.

I've not been disappointed by those I've met in real life, either.

Posted by: Maryland Mother | June 6, 2008 11:22 AM

Perhaps next Friday we can list the movie star or public figure we aspire to be...

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 11:25 AM

My imagination never conjured up pictures of the posters here. But since you ask, here are a few:

When I try to picture ArmyBrat or Fred, I think they look like my buddies when I was in the Army.

When I try to picture Abu Ibrahim, I can't help thinking of him wearing some sort of Pakistani turban as he ventures out into the storm to tether his elephants.

When I try to picture MN or Laura or Liza Bean or the other lawyers here, I think of the young ladies in my law school class. This is a compliment.

I remember Atlmom once writing that she grew up on the same island as my wife, so I picture her looking like my wife. This, needless to say, is also a compliment.

Posted by: MattInAberdeen | June 6, 2008 11:48 AM

MattinAberdeen: James Broderick.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 11:54 AM

Marty Culp, MARTY CULP! Boy, I am insulted! First of all I have some hair on my head. Second, I have no, none, zap, nada, musical ability. Oh wait, Culp has no musical ability either...

Three piece suiter, ha! that is pretty funny also.

Maybe if I feel like it, I will post my new song at noon.

Posted by: Songster | June 6, 2008 11:59 AM

OT to babsy1: are you on ravelry? When you said you have been knitting since early childhood my other vision of you included beautiful, intricate knitting with perfect even stitch tension.

Trousers - check. Low heels - sometimes - more like mid-to high heel.

~Product of a Working Mother

Posted by: Kate | June 6, 2008 11:59 AM

Another thing I imagine about Laura - is that her girl is as high-spirited, high energy, limits testing as my cousin's stepdaughter. (Who I adore)

I also have a lasting mental picture of MN's kids doing the ask mom/ask dad dance.

To all of you RTP folks - great article in WSJ today about Barrington Village.

Posted by: Kate | June 6, 2008 12:05 PM

Kate, I am on ravelry, but haven't used it much. I was in desperate need (I thought) of a skein of orchid cotton sock yarn. No one offered it up, but I was able to complete the socks (which look stunning with blue scrubs) with the yarn I had. And yes, my stitches are even, although my temperament is not!

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 12:08 PM

ArmyBrat--actually, I picture you looking very similar to my boyfriend--gray military-style haircut, runner's physique, nicely toned arms (he's a retired computer/software engineer, now a full-time musician).

Atlmom: I picture you with short, dark wavy hair, athletic--you make casual look chic.

IrishGirl--dark hair, pale skin...and I think she's already confessed to being more than able to fill out a t-shirt!

FloridaChick: As I grew up in Broward County Florida, attended the University of Florida...I picture you looking like so many of my friends still back home...laid back, casually dressed until it's time to hit the town. Then it's full-on gorgeous.

Dandy: Steve Carrell type.

Matt: I picture you to be as conservative in appearance as you are in demeanor...so I picture you looking like my uncle Tom (though he is oolder--he's a WWII vet)

Moxie--I'm stuck with the blonde-in-the-convertible image.

MN: I picture you as the casual dresser, easy-to-keep haircut.

Dotted: longish hair, stylish dresser (able to make casual look glamorous)

Songster: very charming, a John Cusack-type

Fred: I guess I'm still going with the Wilson image there!

Me: actually, pepperjade is a clue to my appearance--I have long, dark hair and green eyes (www.myspace.com/pepperjade). I'm also Single Western Mom--but I'm an east coast carpet bagger!

Posted by: pepperjade | June 6, 2008 12:12 PM

After AB's master's dissertation yesterday about softball, this little ditty popped into my head. As well as the whiskbroom Fred mentioned, I am sure that AB carries his ball/striker counter at all times.

You can easily guess the tune.

Captain: Are you ready kids?

Kids: Aye, Aye Captain

Captain: I can't hear you.

Kids: Aye Aye, Captain

Captain: OHHHHHHH , Who is the biggest pontificator that you ever did see?

Kids: MattMatt ArmyBrat!

Captain: The one in the same, can these two be?

Kids: MattMatt ArmyBrat!

Captain: If treatise and thesis be what ye wish!

Kids: MattMatt ArmyBrat!

Captain: Then read on, read on as they both can diss (ertate)!

Kids: MattMatt ArmyBrat!

Captain: Ready?

Captain and Kids: MattMatt ArmyBrat, MattMatt ArmyBrat,
MattMatt ArmyBrat!

Captain: MattMatt ArrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmyyyyyyyyBraaaaaaaaaattt!!!!

Captain: HA HA HA HA !!!!

Posted by: Songster | June 6, 2008 12:13 PM

@ babsy1 - I aspire to socks. I just conquered an easy lace pattern. Screen name KateL. You can see if your mental picture jives with my avatar.

Posted by: Kate | June 6, 2008 12:13 PM

I view the participants with names on this blog like Lake Wobegon: all the women and men are strong, smart, fun and good looking, and most mean well at least most of the time.

I wear neither suits nor jeans unless someone makes me:>)

The description of dotted as Mel on 30something is perfect.

I imagine ArmyBrat looking like Ken Howard, Gwyneth's step-day, back in the 80s.

The male trolls all look like Wally, Dilbert's colleague. The female trolls all look and sound like Gladys Kravitz (showing my age), but with an extra 25 pounds (not that there's anything wrong with that).

(Maggie, if you think that blogs whose participants skew "younger" tend to be nicer, you haven't spent enough time browsing the comments on celebrity websites or dontdatehim.com The insults! The vitriol! Oh. my. virgin. ears.)

Fred, Come on. Admit it. You look like a slightly older Jake Gyllenhaal.

Posted by: MN | June 6, 2008 12:17 PM

OT to Kate, you should try socks - they are incredibly easy. I made my first pair with Debbie Macomber's "A Good Yarn" book, but switched to Cat Bordhi's book "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" book. http://www.amazon.com/Socks-Soar-Two-Circular-Needles/dp/0970886950.
I have other patterns, but Cat is my go-to gal. Seriously, socks make it easy to impress people while not working hard (my aspiration in life: work smart, not hard). I can't access ravelry from work, but I'll check out your avatar at home.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 12:22 PM

no way does Fred look like that wimpy Gyllenhaal. He's much more masculine.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 12:23 PM

If I look stylish the PGA look is in!

btw: You all look great!

Fo4 has the coolest shades.

Posted by: Fo3 | June 6, 2008 12:25 PM

I am a terrible visualizer, rarely if ever can come up with an image for someone I haven't met, but now, thanks to MN I will have Wally in mind for all the trolls. Perfect!! Thanks MN!

Posted by: LizaBean | June 6, 2008 12:27 PM

I forgot a few:

LizaBean is petite with brown hair pulled back when working in her garden. I see her in flannel shirts and birkies in the fall raking leaves and shorts and T-shirt in the summer.

Moxiemom is blond, snaps her gum, talks fast and is always laughing.

atlmom is very tall and thin with curly hair that can be out of conrol in the humidity. She also wears power suits but wears low shoes rather than heels. She has an intense and sometimes faraway look in her eyes.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 12:33 PM

I picture Atlmom as always wearing an apron.

I picture Dotted in her favorite rocking chair with cup holder and lots of doileys and sports banners around her house.

I imagine that Sue looks like an older version of Angela Bower from "Who's the Boss?".

I picture MN as a person who always has a pencil in her hand, figeting, and biting the eraser to hold it when she needs her other 2 hands to load the paper tray.

Did I miss anybody?

Posted by: DandyLion | June 6, 2008 12:33 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal? I had to google him. Na.

But Newman, Duvall, McQueen, Santa Claus?

Well the big clue here is that I do have blue eyes.

And someone has come very close to the truth.

And Laura, I said I might, I did not say I would! But I could handle Wilson the neighbor.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 12:36 PM

Dandylion looks like Brad Pitt.

ArmyBrat - know exactly what he looks like and who he is - too many references to HCYP and Mt Hebron to not have figured it out.

Emily - thin, mousy brown hair, round face, glasses, wears beiges and browns.

laura - smartly dressed, head held high with nose in air

atb - Whoopi Goldberg

Fred - Andy Griffith - the early look, not the Matlock look

songster - David Letterman

babsy1 - niki blonsky

Posted by: lurker | June 6, 2008 12:42 PM

Fo3, I've got you pegged as a sharp looking guy that wears suspenders. Probably from your quick witted humor - Mork from Ork.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 6, 2008 12:43 PM

Nikki Blonsky is more stylish than I! And much, much, much, much younger! Paul Newman has aged beautifully, hasn't he? No botox on his forehead.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 12:50 PM

DandyLion: doilies? Surely you jest. I never put my drink down in the first place (there is the cradle position for rest) and second...well, I'm not THAT old yet.

I'm still getting over the 30 something Mel thingie....he he he

and now I'll crank out the myth buster: I'm 5' 10", muscular 175, brown shoulder length hair (longest it has ever been actually), blue eyes, currently semi-tanned as it is only June.... with a strange accent due to moving around way too much in my days.

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 1:12 PM

Also,

Maryland Mother, I just can't get past her power panties. I know they are purple! Woo-Hoo

Sue, very goth, dressed all in black

Dotted, yes, t-shirt from a worthy cause and jeans.

Atlmom, we just see her curly black hair as she is tied up on I-285.

Lizabean. Dunno. Just don't get a pix of her.

Abu, just like Matt says

Songster, bespectacled, small man stuck in a cube forever, writes his parodies to revel in his soul as an anarchist.

Vegas Mom, blackjack deck in one hand, dice in the other saying "Let's party!" Definitely a redhead!

MN, hey all lawyers look the same to me!

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 1:18 PM

OK - since dotted is doing it I will too. I am 39, 5'8, 117 lbs with straight auburn hair and green eyes. Before I became nurse I was an exotic dancer/bar tender at a gentleman's club.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 1:19 PM

"Before I became nurse I was an exotic dancer/bar tender at a gentleman's club."

Common theme - serving others?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 1:24 PM

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 1:19 PM

Well, dang, no topping that. . . . :-)

dotted: funny, your post made me realize I had been picturing you as Dot Richardson of the US softball team!

Posted by: Laura | June 6, 2008 1:26 PM

I'm not so great at this (especially since I've been MIA for most of the year), but there are a few images that have always stuck out in my mind:

Moxiemom = Rosie the Riveter. I donno, I think it's the "moxie" part, but you have "kicka** woman" written all over you.

MN: Tallish, with long, chestnut hair, in a power suit. Pretty much the grown up version of how I'd like myself to be.

Fred: Kind of geeky, tall and lanky, wearing cargo shorts and a floppy hat. Possibly with a bike.

KLB: short and cute, with freckles and curly medium brown hair.

Army Brat: for awhile, I have to admit, I always thought of you as a youngish girl. It was the "brat" part. But now, I'm thinking tall, short sandy blonde hair, muscular.

As for me: I'm a pretty generic looking blonde. (I like your descriptions of me better!) Average height, average weight, big hips, blue eyes. No convertible, though.

Posted by: Mona | June 6, 2008 1:29 PM

Yes, common theme but not so much what you think. I realized I liked helping others the day another bartender cut his hand on a glass. Everybody else panicked but I found myself surprisingly calm, cool and collected and was able to bandage the hand, clean up the mess and transport him to the ER where I stay while they sutured him up.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 1:30 PM

Mona, what about the tattoos?

I do own a bike.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 1:30 PM

Florida Chick -- Your perception is more accurate than pearls and high heels. And I wear a lot of really colorful baseball caps to hide my messy hair. My house is super neat, though. Neither Perry nor I like knicknacks and we just stuff all the kids stuff in their drawers so the place looks neat.

You, buy the way, are petite, tanned and always wearing a cute bikini.

Posted by: Leslie | June 6, 2008 1:31 PM

Laura: now that is a compliment. Many thanks!! I looked at her website. Her favorite TV show is Xena: Princess Warrior. I love it! Dr. Richardson's home page says it all "broke down barriers and never allowed anyone to confine her just because she was a girl" She rocks.

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 1:32 PM

I can't picture people.

Fred's personality reminds me of my grandfather - in his 70's he was still crawling around on the floor playing horsey with the youngest grandbabies, and he was caring and protective of the whole mob of us.

MoxieMom makes me think of my SIL, who's a beautiful Georgia peach, and completely in control of her universe in that special way that southern women have. Her kids are perfect, her house is perfect, my brother adores her and needs her to take charge of him, so they're a perfect match. SIL and I have nothing in common, but we get along great anyway.

Emily is like DH's sister - my first (and still primary) role model for being a mother. Whenever DH or I have any doubts about what to do about anything, a phone call and discussion with her, and we have at least a couple of ideas that are likely to work.

Songster makes me miss my dearest friend and former high priestess of my coven. My favorite of her *many* filks was "What a friend we have in Kali" to the old gospel hymn "What a friend we have in Jesus" - hysterically funny!

Trolls are like my mother off her meds - bi-polar schizophrenics who can't solve their own problems and blame others for them, while trying to tell me what my problems are and how to solve them, and getting both the problems and solutions completely wrong.

Sorry, I'm just not coming up with comparisons for anyone else...

After being compared to her, I had to google Angela Bower. Nope, not even close - maybe the cheekbones just a little - but I'm flattered anyway.

Posted by: Sue | June 6, 2008 1:45 PM

OK, me next, though I haven't seen myself in almost 20 years.

I resemble one of those worn out stuffed animals that you want to throw away but can't bring yourself to do it because it's your child's favorite comfort toy. (like the teddy bear they hold up against their cheeks while sucking their thumbs, bring everywhere and can't sleep without) I'm getting thread bare in places though I still have a nice soft tuft of hair in the center of both ears. My seams are beginning to show, my limbs are getting torn at the joints, and my right eye is made from a button that was removed from a outgrown coat. My embroidered smile is coming unstitched, but even so, the impression has made a permanent mark on the fabric so I maintain a constant goofy happy face.

Of course, I've also gotten soft around the middle and much to a parent's dismay, the stuffing is beginning to leak from my head.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 6, 2008 1:57 PM

OT- Did you all see this article in the NY Times? SO sad.

Posted by: canary28 | June 6, 2008 1:57 PM

Goth?!?!? ME?????? Huh-uh.

Think aging hippy-chick - tie-dyed, no make-up, long straight hair with grey at the roots. (I would have quit coloring it more than 10 years ago, but DH keeps bringing home the L'Oreal, and he's the one who has to look at me, so...)

Posted by: Sue | June 6, 2008 1:57 PM

Oh Sue, that is something we have in common. I have a tie dyed shirt. I wore it to have my driver's license pix taken. :)

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 2:02 PM

Finally broke out of a meeting and just catching up. This is hilarious.

Fred, I vote that KLB wins FQOTD. Wow!

Lurker - I'm shocked it took that long before anybody figured it out.

Dotted, Laura - I hold Dr. Dot Richardson up as a role model for any young person, male or female. She really did perform orthopedic surgery on days when there were no games during the 1996 Olympics. Hey, Fred, Dr. Dot is a UCLA grad and was on the basketball team for two years, too! Okay, she ruined it by doing her surgical residency at USC, but hey, don't hold that against her.

As for the other descriptions of me: BWAAH! Way, way, way off the mark in most cases, but I'll take. (BTW, it's a lineup card, not a whisk broom. :-)

(Loved Songster's song, although the only reason I've ever been to Aberdeen is to watch the IronBirds play at Ripken.)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | June 6, 2008 2:03 PM

KLB, after the bartender cut his hand, was there a special on Bloody Maries?

Posted by: DandyLion | June 6, 2008 2:05 PM

babsy1- well, i thought you were very young - like not even 30.

Posted by: atlmom | June 6, 2008 2:05 PM

@ Sue - it's cheating to say that's how I pictured you but 1- you live in the East Bay and 2- you work in IT, where brainpower matters more than hairstyles and clothes. When I think goth I think LizD.

I have already sad MD mom is unflappable - I have an image of her driving a late 80s Volvo wagon with various large musical instruments, sports gear and riding boots. There may be a large dog too...

Posted by: Kate | June 6, 2008 2:05 PM

Mona -- what a sweet thing to say - thanks!

ah, pepperjade, sadly, I'm way high-maintenance about my appearance. I'm glad you think I'm practical, though, LOL.

Kate, how did I miss the fact that you live in the Triangle? Must be a senior moment. that's a great article.

Posted by: MN | June 6, 2008 2:09 PM

Dandylion - you are a bad man.

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 2:10 PM

Fred, just one tattoo. It's small and dainty, but it's in an obvious place, and I hope to get it removed (and possibly moved to less obvious location) before I become a lawyer. It's a small heart--for my grandpa, who calls me "little heart."

Posted by: Mona | June 6, 2008 2:14 PM

Ok, time to come clean. I think I mentioned I'm from the Panhandle of Florida so I'm definitely not a Miami kind of girl. Average height, blond hair (only recently after always red), green eyes, pale, freckles. I'm probably much closer to Julianne Moore than anyone else I can think of. I also haven't worn a bikini in years and have to get out of the sun or risk the burn! I don't live in Florida anymore but will always be a Florida girl at heart.

Posted by: FloridaChick | June 6, 2008 2:21 PM

Thanks, Kate, you jogged my memory.

LizD reminds me of most of the folks I know in the Pagan community here - marching to their own drummers, but don't mind if we start up a counterpoint. In particular, I think of a former coven-sister who met her husband at a bondage club.

Posted by: Sue | June 6, 2008 2:24 PM

The only time I put on an apron has been pretty much AFTER I get food and stuff on my clothes, and it's a good thing my DH has one, or I wouldn't have ever been able to put one on. :)

Posted by: atlmom | June 6, 2008 2:31 PM

All right, AB, for those of us who haven't seen the real you, please, tell! And Fred, you're killing me!

MN -- you always remind me of a younger version of my stepmom (who is also a lawyer in NC), so I always think of her -- small, focused, always put-together, shoulder-length dark hair, doesn't take any [bleep], calls it like she sees it.

Mona -- man, was I off! I always saw you as a tall, thin brunette -- kind of Courtney Cox.

I'm game -- much as I hate to dispel the "stylish"/Julianne Moore myth. I'm 5'7", medium build, short straight dark hair (now greying), blue eyes, fair skin. Most frequently found in jeans and boots/sandals, depending on season -- very casual, even at the office, except when compelled to be otherwise. Except no beige -- love jewel tones.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 2:32 PM

Mona,

Don't get rid of the tat unless you want to (ignore the preposition, Grammar Police). You don't have to sell your soul to enter the law. Would you want to work somewhere that it's an issue? I'm not being naive, but things are changing fast at biglaw and the need to hire millenials is making hiring attorneys focus on the big stuff (work ethic) over minor stuff like the strong preference of some very talented young lawyers for flip flops and tats.

For CSI fans, I think of Liz as looking like Lady Heather's younger, less made-up sister.

Posted by: MN | June 6, 2008 2:34 PM

@MN - I aspired to go to school in the Triangle, but alas I was rejected. I am up here in DC/Montgomery County. It's funny you say you are high maintenance about appearance... I imagine you don't have bad hair days.

Me: avg. height, brown hair, longish at the moment (I am 1.5 inches away from an accidental hair donation - as in I let it grow for the last year after the last donation. If I can be patient - ha! - I can give away 8" to Beautiful Lengths program).

Posted by: Kate | June 6, 2008 2:37 PM

"In particular, I think of a former coven-sister who met her husband at a bondage club."

Now there's a good story, I imagine:>)

Leslie, there's a potentially interesting future Friday blog topic: "how you met your partner / significant other / spouse".

2:32 - is that you, Moxie?

Posted by: MN | June 6, 2008 2:53 PM

Crap! No, 2:32 was me -- sorry, forgot to sign. Moxie's a blonde.

Posted by: Laura | June 6, 2008 2:56 PM

me: short, green eyes, brownish red hair that is greying more quickly than I'd like. It's short now, but it's been typically shoulder length in the past.

As a now SAHM, I wear the usual outfit - shorts in summer, with tshirts, jeans, tshirts in winter. VERY casual - rarely wear makeup, very low maintenance about appearance, tho that is changing - but not as low as some of my profs in grad school, where we were stunned that they would all be able to get out of bed and dress themselves at times (very big math geeks).

Posted by: atlmom | June 6, 2008 3:00 PM

No, babsy, not your sister. As mentioned before, a very unusual first name, and my last name ties me to my dad, who has a very amusing video on the web (he doesn't know a computer from a pad of paper, so he didn't put it there).

And I'd be quite shocked if either of my sisters would deem it appropriate to be on a blog...;)

Posted by: atlmom | June 6, 2008 3:02 PM

MN: Thanks! It's more of a preference thing...if I ever get married, I don't want it to show, and I will probably wear a strapless dress...the tat is about mid-chest...not in the cleavage, but not at the collarbone. It's good to know that firms are becoming less stuffed-shirt...I'm all about professionalism, but I'd also like to wear attractive clothes and not have to consider myself a wanna-be man. :)

See...this is why I look up to you...you have all the answers, and you give them freely, without judgment. ;-)

Posted by: Mona | June 6, 2008 3:07 PM

AB,

You never umped? When my girls were playing softball, there would be 2 games a night. The coaches from the early game would be the umps for the late game. Usually, the league's prez's son would ump the early game.

As I say, I was the bench coach for a season and I avoided umping like the plague!

Laura,

I love being a man of mystery!

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 3:18 PM

"babsy1- well, i thought you were very young - like not even 30."
atl, what a compliment. I have earned every single grey hair, and I wear them proudly! I'm using my significant birthday last December as an excuse for everything: "I deserve a red car, because I'm now in AARP! I deserve an upgrade because..." you get the picture.
DandyLion, you sound adorable, and just like the velveteen rabbit, now you are real. Isn't that what the greys and wrinkles mean, that you're finally real?

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 3:18 PM

fr Songster:

>...Captain: OHHHHHHH , Who is the biggest pontificator that you ever did see?...<

Thanks a LOT. Now I've got THAT song in my head, all day LONG! :D

Posted by: Alex | June 6, 2008 3:22 PM

Hey Mona - I'll second MN about not removing the tattoo solely for job purposes. It sounds like it is in a place where you can cover it easily when you really want to, and that I think is really all that matters. I have a tattoo on my ankle, so when it matters - for trial, for example - I wear pantsuits or boots. It's never been an issue for me.

If you want it off anyway, of course, that's up to you.

Posted by: LizaBean | June 6, 2008 3:27 PM

I'm totally floored at the perceptions. I used to be blonde and still forget that I decided to go with what god gave me, brown. My house isn't perfect and I've got not one, but two awesome station wagons - gotta love the wagon. So overall, I'm more "mom" than "moxie" at least on the outside. The moxie dwells within. Also, Mona, thanks for the Rosie the Riveter, I have been working on my biceps! heehee.

KLB, I hafta say, who knew you were so hot?

Fred, are you gonna tell or no? I'm thiking now, who was it that was Sonny in the Godfather?

Posted by: Moxiemom | June 6, 2008 3:31 PM

Just sing it to your boss!

Who is the biggest pontificator that I ever did see?

My Man the Boss Man!

Posted by: to Alex | June 6, 2008 3:33 PM

Laura, after I lost on Jeopardy one of the fans on one of the message boards compared me to a younger, thinner Paul Willson. I won't say how much I agree or disagree with that. :-)

Fred, our program pays umpires to work the games. Older girls' games are worked by adults; younger girls' games are worked by teens staying in the game and learning to ump. They don't get paid a lot, but it's usually enough to reimburse what they had to pay for the umpire uniforms, protective gear, gas and food. I umpire only when somebody doesn't show up or gets hurt or sick, and I try to avoid it like the plague because I always wind up questioning my own judgment calls. :-)

(Our baseball program uses teen boys to call all games, with the rule that the umpire must be at least two years older than the age group playing.)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | June 6, 2008 3:35 PM

Okay, I confess I have no idea what the tune of the song is. Songster, can you help me out? Memo to self: pay more attention to popular culture.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 3:35 PM

Moxie,

James Caan (also Robert Duvall was in the Godfather)

AB,

Our small programs could not afford to pay for anything.

Babsy1

SpongeBob SquarePants. Songster has done at least 4 versions on this in the past few weeks.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 3:39 PM

Posted by: spongebob theme | June 6, 2008 3:42 PM

Well, happy Friday everyone -- it's been great fun. Off to fight traffic and get the kiddos, maybe even see a movie this weekend (wheeee!).

Posted by: Laura | June 6, 2008 4:12 PM

I have hours more to work, but it's baseball this weekend - Mets vs Padres. I will not entertain bets on who will win (I'm no sucker) but I will live in hope!

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 4:13 PM

@Fred: Not quite quintessential SoCal, more Bay Area; athletic build, more strawberry than blonde, more or less with the latest styles--not quite a Carrie Bradshaw, but I do prefer a cute kitten heel to a flip flop any day. Definitely yes on the yoga--as long as it's Bikram. You? I'm thinking more Michael Ironside...

@AB: I'll let the USC thing go by...

Posted by: kate07 | June 6, 2008 4:17 PM

Naughty,naughty...Lazy Leslie slunk out of writing yet another pertinent post. Y'all don't want to know what I look like! Mhahahahahahahaha

Mhaha, cough, clear throat

Mhahahahahahahahahhahahahaha and on through infinity!

Posted by: Denkpaard | June 6, 2008 4:18 PM

I haven't been in the new field. Just the old one in Fashion Valley. I'm jealous. It is too hot for a baseball game here (aobut 100). I'm pooling it this weekend.

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 4:18 PM

Fred, I do say yes ma'am and no sir, but it's because I was raised in the south, so I already knew how when I joined the Marine Corps. Dropped the "outstandings" as soon as I moved to Colo Spgs, though. ;-)

I am 51 yrs old, 5'7", about 10 lbs overweight, dark hair with gray roots (I call it my skunk stripe), blue eyes, medium fair skin, round shoulders (sitting too long at this computer, huh?). I am an electronics technician and I dabble in IT, so I dress very casually (for crawling around under test stations) and wear only eye makeup.

I had pictures in my mind for Fred and AB, but they look like old friends of mine from back in Colo Spgs, so I have no references to offer the group.

Mehitabel looks small and dainty to me and wears gauzy scarves.

Dunno, I'm not a good visualizer.

Posted by: OldBAM | June 6, 2008 4:18 PM

Earlier, someone described themself as being 'high maintenance'. Well, high maintenance didn't fit into my idea of anyone on this blog. It just seems high maintenance is the first thing to go when it comes to balance. Or at least it goes to medium maintenace. At least it did for me, ymmv.

Posted by: dotted | June 6, 2008 4:20 PM

Wow, I'm a little surprised that anyone's speculating about me since I haven't posted regularly for awhile. But I love the tall redhead perception and am reluctant to dispel it, LOL.

There are a few regulars about whom I've speculated.

MN is a petite brunette, always polished and professional.

LizaBean is a tall brunette, professional when necessary, but more of what DH calls a "granola" in her off-time. In a good way -- very natural and at home in her skin and I'm sure very beautiful.

Fred I suspect is average height, weight, etc., but has sparkling eyes and a terrific smile.

DandyLion is tall, light brown hair, another guy with a terrific smile.

Army Brat is tall, solid, muscular, with a regulation haircut.

I don't know what to think about KLB anymore with that revelation, LOL. I think she should take on the tall sexy redhead mantle, with pride!

Laura is blonde, petite, with a lot of opinions. I have a good friend named Laura who looks like this, so that's probably where that comes from.

Mona is a tall, muscular blonde.

I love the description of Maryland Mom with her big car full of instruments and dogs, totally unflappable. That's my image exactly.

Emily is a petite brunette with black eyes, kind of exotic.

Irish girl is tall, very dark hair, green eyes, gorgeous figure.

I'll have to think some more on this, These are the regulars who posted back when I was a regular. Haven't thought about this much regarding the newer members.

Posted by: Vegas Mom | June 6, 2008 4:21 PM

Babsy1

Hope springs eternal. My Cubs are playing LA tonight. Did you see the around the horn triple play by the (Giants?) this week. And the big fight between the Rays and the BoSox! Even the bullpens came in from the outfield.

And yes, I knew that Dot went to UCLA. As I recall USC runs a big public hospital in LA county. Everyone can be forgiven for one mistake in their lives!

BAM, my sainted mother had jet black hair (no dyeing) with a widow's peak. She had the dark hair until the day she died.

Posted by: Fred | June 6, 2008 4:27 PM

OK - thanks all for not calling me a big fat liar. I was playing around today and am amazed that you all let me. I am not 39. I am not tall. In fact, I am short (5'2") with just a few extra lbs. Brown hair - not quite shoulder length. I have never been a bartender or exotic dancer (but I have been in bars).

Posted by: KLB SS MD | June 6, 2008 5:51 PM

Fred--Lynne is tall and svelte with beautiful flowing gray hair.

Oh Fred, if only....

I'm 5'1.5" when I stand up very straight. I have very short blonde hair that is,yes, turning gray. I am letting the gray come in because it appears as if it will be white like my mother's was and her mother's was. I can accept that rather than the dishwater yellow-gray some blondes become. I have blue-green eyes and I've got a few pudgy pounds around the middle to shed (and I'm working on it!).

Fred--Harrison Ford type. Tall, sure of himself, daring but not reckless. Smart but not arrogant. Kind and supportive. A rebel at heart but conventional in many ways. Although there is the matter of that Creepy Van (TM)....

AB--Tall (around 5'10" to 6' tall) buzz cut hair--brown with gray flecks. Wears a pocket protector and still could use a slide rule if calculators disappeared from the earth. Athletic.

Mehitabel--Medium height, brownish hair, loves cats (so do I), tough on the outside but a real softie at heart. Drinks tea and reads poetry.

MoxieMom--Sharp as a tack blonde with attitude (in a good way). Love it that you have two station wagons! We usually had two and at one time three of them!! A fun person who doesn't take cr*p from anyone.

MattInAberdeen--Intellectual, conservative, brown hair in traditional men's haircut, fiercely protective of family.

DandyLion--Medium build, getting a little soft around the middle (like most of us) but not flabby. Able to dish it out as well as take it. Great sense of humor. Lots of fun for his kids.

Songster--Writer of songs extraordinaire. Tall, wears glasses, loves to play practical jokes.

Atlmom--Short, dark curly hair that refuses to behave in the sticky, humid Atlanta summer. Independent, smart, sure of herself. Cares about children in a big way and is a fun mom to her kids.

Dotted--Tall, smart as a whip, blonde hair and blue eyes. Highly accomplished and well respected in her field.

I could go on, but most of you have left by now. I do love reading your posts and imagining what you must be like in person.

Have a great weekend! Stay in air conditioning or at least stay well-hydrated. This promises to be a real blast of July weather.

Posted by: Lynne | June 6, 2008 5:56 PM

Goth HEE HEE!! Nope. I have to work at it when I do. I'm very much jeans and tshirt when casual and glam (tiaras are worn regularly) when going alternative.

I know I really ENJOY reading all your names again and broadening your stories over time. I like feeling like I'm getting a real picture of your lives. I really say I get excited to see Cham's posts and Moxie and WorkingMom never let you down on pithiness.

Sadly Leslie usually shows potential and then self-destructs.

How about posting pics??? Here's the most recent one of me and my partner on our trip to LA a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Liz D | June 6, 2008 6:16 PM

". . .holes up in the den with his computer . . ."

by Leslie Morgan Steiner '87, 8:58 AM

"Matt, when I imagine what you look like, an image of Count Dracula popps into my head."
by DandyLion, 12:33 PM

Obviously, you can't both be right. A castle doesn't have a den.

"I never drink . . .; WINE!"
-- Bela Lugosi

Posted by: MattInAberdeen | June 6, 2008 6:17 PM

Oops, this is the right link

Posted by: Liz D | June 6, 2008 6:17 PM

Well, you don't look so much like her that it's beyond coincidence, but you do somewhat resemble my coven-sister. Got a CA relative who had a baby boy in mid-March?

Posted by: Sue | June 6, 2008 6:59 PM

Lynne: I hope I am being fun for the kids. Right now they are attacking dad (he'd been out of commission for a few days with a project). I always feel so uncreative when thinking about all the other things other moms seem to do for their kids. I'm so not into big messy projects...holdover from my mom.

Definitely have the frizzy hair, wish it would curl up nicely. :)

Posted by: atlmom | June 6, 2008 7:06 PM

dotted: the new ballpark is better than Qualcomm/Jack Murphy, but I find it lacks the charm of Carmden Yards. Of course, my seat in row 1 makes up for a lot. Being down by the water, it gets very cold though. I take a coat, gloves, and blanket until July. And to think that I used to laugh at the people I saw on TV bundled up at Candlestick! When the wind whips off the water, you really wonder if San Diego is all that great.

Fred, I did see the triple play, but what did you think of the walk-off HBP that let the Padres win last night? We were thrilled to take it, let me tell you! It's a longer than usual season, and it isn't even time for the Midsummer Classic yet.

KLB: thanks for dispelling the image of nurses being the equivalent of strippers. I was so hoping you were fibbing! Have a great weekend everyone!

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 10:57 PM

LizD, you two are adorable! But you couldn't come to SD? Trust me, it's much better than LA.

Posted by: babsy1 | June 6, 2008 11:00 PM

I am not into being seen but heard and have something to say. You are missing in your column the number one thing our book club covet's and that is a novel we all loved (and trust me that never happens)--THE BOOK OF MOM, by Taylor Wislhire. It is without the doubt the best book for mom's it should be a requirement. It is the perfect summer read, laugh out loud funny that you can't put down about a mom that burns out, is stuck in her marriage and how she gets her self back. Packed with Oprah-like slef help tools, marriage counceling and the funniest things we do as mom's this book is something that you should be talking about. Have you read it?

Posted by: wendy | June 7, 2008 8:27 PM

I'm super late to the game, but here goes:

AB- has an army hair cut, hair is light brown with some gray, wears a short-sleeved button-down and pleated chinos every day.

newslinks- very cute, about 5'4", fit, sandy blonde, straight, medium-length hair, pale eyes, wears shorts even in the winter.

newSAHM- overweight in that healthy, tight way, long curly dark brown hair, brown eyes, great smile, rosy cheeks.

moxiemom- about 5'6", the body of a middle aged woman who had an awesome body in high school, dark brown, straight hair always in a pony tail, wears capri pants.

dandylion- about 5'10", black, with close-cropped hair and beard, usually has a smile on his face.

IrishGirl- stout, like 5'6", light brown hair, pale skin, brown eyes, cautious but warms up easily and has a great smile.

Sue- long, dark, wavy hair always worn free, medium height, always wears a big baggy skirt and full skirt in loose fabrics in dark colors, glasses.

LizD- I saw your picture, so I'm tainted!

Fred- gray-haired, slightly overweight, bad dresser. ;)

Mona- short and curvy with long dark wavy hair and brown eyes.

Atlmom- good, fake blonde dye job, brown eyes, average height, nice figure, wears smart, casual clothes every day.

songster- short, overweight man, glasses, short, wavy brown hair, dorky laugh.

Wow! I think the women are much better looking than the men!

Posted by: atb | June 9, 2008 1:20 PM

Atlmom: Definitely have the frizzy hair, wish it would curl up nicely. :)

I feel your pain. :) My hair frizzes, goes limp, sticks out in odd ways because of cowlicks, and just plain looks dreadful in high humidity. I've always wanted hair that would softly curl in an attractive way. Maybe in heaven......

Posted by: Lynne | June 9, 2008 5:43 PM