Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Valentines Are in the Air

And so it begins. Valentine's Day week.

The elementary school sent home a note on Friday: Have your child bring in valentines for the entire class on the 14th so no child is left out. Here's a list of all the children in the class. Okay, so it's not a big deal to cut 15 hearts out of construction paper and have my son write his classmates' names on them. In fact, it's good for him to practice his writing. And if I really am too swamped to even do that, I'm sure I could make it to the store to buy a box of Valentine's Day cards.

The thing is, I'm just not a big Valentine's Day kind of girl. Husband and I have the kind of relationship where we have the same view of money ... and that's to not spend it unless really necessary. We're such big savers that half of both boys' allowance goes into savings accounts for "college." Hallmark holidays simply don't qualify as a big deal in our household. We do often cook a nice dinner for each other; some years I do the cooking, other years husband does.

Still, we'll go with the flow this year and make sure all the kids have valentines. The kids will have a fun party and it'll be on to more important things.

What do you and your partner do for Valentine's Day? Are you required to send valentines in for the entire class? Who makes them, you or your kids?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  February 11, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Elementary Schoolers
Previous: Chemical Leaches From Baby Bottles | Next: SOS -- Save Our Schools

Comments

My husband and I go out for dinner the following weekend. He is actually on a business trip this week. But we also go to lunch during the weekend as a family. We exchange small gifts and he usually sends me flowers. I do buy chocolate hearts for the whole family. My daughter's preschool class has a party and her day care has a party. I bought the Valentine's day cards with the lollipops from the dollar store. Not a big expense or a lot of work either. Her preschool has a goody bag exchange as well. There are only 5 kids. But we put together about $10 worth of stuff from the dollar store and comprised goody bags of Valentine's day pens, pencils, erasers, chocolate hearts and the lollipop cards in plastic cellophane Valentine decorated bags. I guess she will come home with 4 more offerings as well. I do send in a treat for her class party. I haven't gotten the list of what she is suppose to bring in. But they ask for things like juice boxes, crackers, cheese, cookies. Every parent contributes and they have a party. They do deliver Valentine's day cards to all the kids and their teachers. They have been decorating and making card board mail boxes and they talk about delivering the mail and the postman as a lesson. Overall it is just fun for the kids. Not a big expenditure and it seems to brighten their day. I do think the goody bags are over the top. Last year, we did not get the flyer about the goody bag exchange/party till the day before V-day. It was an ice storm that day so the stores were closed. I went the day after V-day to get stuff and nothing was available. It was a really pathetic offering that year. So I shopped a head of time this year to be prepared. But overall I don't think the school is asking for more then a $15 donation. Since they do absolutely nothing for the winter holiday, it is kind of nice they make a big deal out of V-day. The class also cut out hearts ( I think their teacher did this) and decorates them for the local homeless shelter. They tape candy to the hearts and the teacher delivers them. I saw a few of them last week. They looked like a preschoolers made them!

Posted by: foamgnome | February 11, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Same at our school. Kid does them as she can write.

On Feburary 15th, we are buying a supply of cards for NEXT V-day 2009.

Posted by: Anon | February 11, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

We got a notice about making valentines for all children in class. Even recommended to make one for your own child, since preschoolers sometimes worry about not getting one. (And wouldn't you know....my 4.5 year old kept asking about his valentine as we made them for the class.)

I just cut out paper hearts for my 3 year old and he stuck stickers and did ink stamps. My 4.5 year old got a box of valentines from the drugstore (Snoopy) for handing out. The kids are going to deliver mail to all classmates. I remember doing that when I was in 1st grade (I think) and it was really exciting.

DH and I don't really do anything for V-day. We have anniversary and my b-day in Jan, so we are kinda gifted out by Feb.

Posted by: beta | February 11, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big Hallmark Holiday person, but I think it's important that our toddler son learn to recognize friendships and relationships beyond Mommy and Daddy. So we bought the $1.99 valentines in a box at CVS and we wrote "Thank you for being a friend" on them and maybe something personal like "Thank you for sharing your dinosaur with me." Next year when he's older, we'll make them.

Posted by: md | February 11, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

We were asked to provide one for each student in my son's kindergarten class. Not a big deal and we spent yesterday practicing his name on each (30 of them--which I think is way too many for a kindergarten class, but that's another story).

For my 3-year-old, we were given a class list from daycare, but providing the Valentines is optional. We opted to participate, and I let her color on each one after I put the names on them.

Posted by: Jen--Fairfax | February 11, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Our school policy is slightly different - you are not required to bring in Valentine's but if you do you must bring for all. In the early grades, everyone brings them, in the later grades a lot of kids don't. They have a party and that's it. I think it's nice for the kids to be able to have a party. They work hard in school and so using this as an excuse for a little social time is fine with me. As for me and my husband, we exchange cards and the traditional stuff - flowers, chocolate. I think it's nice to just take the day to say "I love you," even though it's a commercial day. We used to also go out for a nice dinner, pre-kids, but have nixed that -- not worth the babysitting cost.

Posted by: PT Fed Mof2 | February 11, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

OT: On Friday's discussion. Sorry Friday turned into a nursing versus bottle feeding debate. But my husband and I were discussing the BPA free bottle choice. Although we nurse and pump, my son will need bottles for day care. We used the clear Gerber bottles for first kid and was glad to find out that the Gerber clear views are BPA free. I did go to Babies R Us and priced the Born free brand. They are like $10 a bottle versus Gerber clear view (around $1-1.50) a bottle. We will go Gerber again. Any other BPA free bottle suggestions? Also just to let people know, we nursed and pumped for 2 years and used Gerber clear views for our oldest daughter. She has mild autism and my sister in law used Avent, which have BPA in them. Her kid is fine. So you never can tell. And to the person who posted that breast fed babies are more likely to have autism, please cite your source because I don't believe I have ever read that.

Posted by: foamgnome | February 11, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm not for forced expressions of affection. I'd much rather my kids understand that you should appreciate and do special things for the important people in your life all throughout the year. My husband treats me like gold everyday. I don't need a dozen roses on Valentine's day to know that he loves me.

The whole thing gives me a headache, especially with the preschoolers who simply take the candy and ditch the cards. Nevermind that we still have Christmas and Halloween candy in the house! For my daughter's preschool class, I just did all of them and let her write the Valentine's for her true friends in the neighborhood. My son's 1st grade class is only 12 kids so he can do them himself. My husband and i don't celebrate the holdiay. We are getting new flooring, which is exciting for both of us. The kids also do homemade cards for the grandparents. I'm already dreading the influx of 20 valentine pencils and erasers! yuck and those themey pencils dont' sharpen well so they end up in the trash while we stick to the good old yellow #2s. Sorry for being kind of a grinch.

Posted by: Moxiemom | February 11, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Moxie: I had to laugh at your statement about the theme pencils. Because we added them to our goody bags. But heck for a $1, I don't care if they write well. It fulfills my goody bag requirement. Personally, I wish the school would ditch the request for goody bags. But I guess the lesson is to deliver paper mail and packages (goody bags). I know half the stuff ends up in the trash by next week.

Posted by: foamgnome | February 11, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

We will be giving out Cookie Monster valentines to my daughter's toddler class (32 valentines for $1.99 at Walgreens) as well as one dum-dum sucker per kid (leftover from Halloween). She just learned to write the first letter of her first name (she's 2.5) so she will "sign" them. She loves hearts and "Valentimes Day" - my dad sent her a present (a shirt with pink hearts, a book, some chocolate kisses, and a recording of him singing her the Barney "I love you" song). And my dad still sends me Valentines gifts (a book, usually). If my husband were to acknowledge Valentine's Day, I think I would probably keel over and die. We haven't done anything special for the day (flowers, dinner, etc) since the first year we were dating (when we were still trying to impress each other). But this weekend, when it was -40 below windchill here in the upper Midwest, he went to Taco Bell for me when I was craving a gordita at midnight (I'm pregnant). That is true love.

Posted by: anny | February 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm probably as frugal as you, but valentine's day was important in our household. It's a day to encourage relationships with others - friends & acquaintances, NOT just for "LOVERS". So make something -for example a cut out paper heart & write their name on it, chocolate drizzle pretzels, low temp glue gun a chocolate heart to a piece of paper, tie a ribbon with your kids name to a tootsie pop. There are endless ideas that don't cost much, but show that your kid is interested in others. Yes, it will take an extra half hour of your week, but aren't having friends important?

Posted by: Barbara | February 11, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

anny - that IS true love! I'm pregnant too, and my husband calls me every evening before coming home from work to ask if I "need" anything from the store.

Which is about the level of what we'll do for one another on Valentine's Day. Our kids are too young to be in preschool yet, but I suppose that I'll cut out a few hearts to hang from the light fixture over our dinner table. Just for a little something. It's what my parents always did for my brother and I growing up, and it is a nice little sentiment to express.

Once the kids get to school and are indoctrinated into all of the garbage that comes along with Halloween, Valentine's Day, and whatever other sugarey pseudo-holidays are out there, I'm sure that we'll participate on a realistic level. No over-the-top for us, thanks.

Posted by: harerin | February 11, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: anny | February 11, 2008 09:47 AM

That is awesome! I'd rather have that, than a dozen over priced roses any day. Foam, didn't mean to dis your goody bags. The school actually requests them? That's amazing to me. We are working hard in our house to limit the "junk" purchases in an effort to be more environmental. This new initiative basically excludes the fun of the dollar store and the dollar section of Target, but the amount of "stuff" we have, the amount of "stuff" we throw out is terrible.

Finally, foam, did you have your son or is he in utero? Did I miss the announcement? What's up?

Posted by: Moxiemom | February 11, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of everyone in class getting a card, but I don't care for feeling obligated to spend $15 or so on goody bag crap (lollipops, heart shaped erasers that really don't work, pencils that don't sharpen well...chocolate candy that tastes waxy...etc.) Why do we feel obligated to do this? I let my kids pick out cards to send, but I hesitate to buy treats that really aren't special if they get 20 or more of them. Last year, my son brought home a shoe box full of the erasers, pencils, red lollipops etc. from his class. AND- I chucked them ALL a few days later. I felt bad for the parents who wasted money on this junk. Personally, I think we're raising a generation of whiny little brats who scream for their 'goody bags' when a simple cupcake or heart-shaped cookied would do just fine. My kids go to a parochial school, and I am tempted to sometimes suggest that they think of a worthy cause to contribute to, or a special someone to 'surprise' with a letter of gratitude and friendship. Spare me the Dollar Tree crap, please! (Since a lot of it is imported, who knows what chemicals are in it anyway?) Put me down as a somewhat cranky Mom who wants more parents to just say NO to junky clutter!

Posted by: Huckleberry Friend | February 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Moxie: My son is due in June. That is why we are researching the BPA free bottles for day care now. I ditch goody bags for birthday parties. This year, I gave each child one book. I will give each child a book next year as well. But this is for school and the school requested goody bags. I think the flyer read, please send in a Valentine theme package to be delivered for each class mate. They don't request anything else for the other holidays. My SIL school had a gift exchange at Christmas/Hanukkah. So I guess this V-day package is the equivalent. Last year we had a pathetic offering. So did most of the other parents. One parent send in white boxes with $2 and a note apologizing for a the lack of theme. It was funny. I actually thought they should have delivered their packages to the homeless shelter but the teacher did not agree.

Posted by: foamgnome | February 11, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Sheesh - you are in a tough spot. I like the mom with the $2 - at least the kid can save that. I agree about the shelter and frankly wish that there was more of that in our school too instead of this giving back and forth of useless garbage.

Congrats on your son! You will have what they call a "rich man's family" - one of each! I'm sending you good vibes for a healthy baby and easy delivery!

Posted by: moxiemom | February 11, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Guess I am "lucky"--my daughter's birthday is Valentine's Day, so we have a built-in reason to celebrate. I bring in birthday snacks for the kids, and yes, we bring valentines, too. She has had to make or write them, as she has gotten older. Seriously, why is valentine exchange such a big deal? I look at it not as a forced exchange, but an opportunity to teach my child about giving and the spirit of generosity...sure, it's a hallmark holiday, but at least it's non-denominational as celebrated today. We never spend much $, specifically because we've taught her the exchange is about giving in the spirit of friendship, nothing philosophical or deeply meaningful (or not) about it, just FUN.

We certainly made them when I was a kid, and I really looked forward to making cards for my friends, so this is nothing new to our kids' generation.

Posted by: VAMom | February 11, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Moxiemom -- Have Valentine's Day, honey! It's not about the flowers and candy, it's about our secret love.

Posted by: Patrick Dempsey | February 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Well, this year we're going to the zoo - who has a program for it. Dinner and some presentations and we'll get to see the animals up close. Last year was the first year they did it, and we signed up then I realized I had a conference to go to! DH was sad, but understood. So this year, when they opened it up, we signed up almost immediately.

It musta been good last year cause it sold out and they are actually having TWO nights this year (Thurs and Fri). We're going Thurs...I'm really looking forward to it!

Posted by: atlmom1234 | February 11, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

My girls make their own. My older one worked this weekend making animals out of foam hearts (she is very creative). She also made a template for her sister to cut out folding hearts for her classmates. I'm not sure what she plans to do for the inside, but that is her concern.

The younger one's teacher sent home a letter from the room mom telling all about the elaborate party they are having and asking each parent to send in $3 to cover the cost. With 25 children in the class, that comes to $75 and I didn't think they needed that much for a class party (esp. since they are partying today for the 100th day of school), so I am the bad parent who didn't send money in.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Patrick right back at you! You know where to find me on Thursday night! ;) wink wink!

Posted by: Moxiemom | February 11, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Our bigger occasion is that DH and I met ten years ago on 2/14/98.

It never occured to me to make valentines. I bought a box and DD wrote her name 20 times and her classmates from the list.
Actually on hers she wrote to at her name
and I wrote "Mommy" on the from line.

Her school has a party and we are taking off to see it. Her school also has candy grams and she bought one for a classmate. I don't know if she will get any but I think she will just be excited to be a kindergarten party.

Posted by: shdd | February 11, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

You have got to be kidding, Stacey. It's $2-$4! So it's not the money, because no matter how frugal you are, that's pretty minor (not to mention that you can make them as well). Don't you remember the thrill and excitement of being a kid and making a Valentine's box and having it stuffed full of Valentines from your friends. Trying to figure out who wrote you the Secret Admirer card? You have got to feed the joy in your children and you can do that without spending a lot of money and without disparaging holidays. I totally and completely agree about not giving in to the enormity of the celebration which borders on the ridiculous, but having kids enjoy being kids by giving little cards is such a small thing in the scheme of things that it doesn't even deserve a column.

Posted by: Andrea | February 11, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

We made valentines for my son's preschool class - I cut out the hearts and he pasted the stickers on.

They do goody bags for the small group (6 kids) and I honestly wish they didn't because it is often the kind of stuff I end up tossing into landfill. We just send cans of play-dough because I figure kids never have enough play-dough - but probably some parents toss that out, so. :)

Posted by: Shandra | February 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Foamgnome, this is a special ed preschool right? What is their educational objective/rationale for goody bags? I'm curious if the PAC autism specialist is aware of their plans. As a preschool special ed teacher, I never asked the parents of the kids in my class to send that sort of stuff in. For kids who are really involved, anything elaborate like that is a strain on the parents. Heck, my kids are not "involved" and it would be a strain and an imposition for me to have to buy that crap, which, as others have said, is trashworthy when it comes home. Whatever their educational objective is, surely it can be accomplished by some means that doesn't require families to send in goody bags full of things that will go in the trash or clutter the house.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that people don't have a problem with the public schools encouraging the students to celebrate the feast day of a Catholic saint.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe that's why Stacey is poo-pooing the event.

Posted by: GutlessCoward | February 11, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I love Valentines Day! I have done the store bought cards for my kids already this year, they will each hand them out to their classes, but my favorite thing is our family Valentines Day dinner.

A few years ago I was sad because my husband and I couldn't go out-no babysitter-no money. I decided I have a bunch of little valentines right here so lets celebrate. I make our favorite family dinner, I put candles on the table, I decorate with my fancy dishes and glasses, we drink red kool-aid and eat decorated cupcakes. I make my kids valentines, personalized from me, something wonderful about them, and we have a true celbration of those people I love most in the world. The kids have a great time and ask as soon as January is done when is Valentines Day.

This year my 13 year old son also wanted to get a little "something" for a girl he likes so my husband took him to the store and he picked a cute little polar bear. It is about giving to those we care about.

I can't wait until Thursday!

Posted by: magnificent7mom | February 11, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

My son's birthday is Valentine's Day. It's a big deal in our house. We'll do cake and presents for my son at home on Valentine's Day. My husband said he can't top that as a Valentine's Day gift so he doesn't have to get me anything. :-) Works for me.

I'll send cupcakes on Wednesday for my son and his classmates to celebrate his birthday. They have a Valentine's Day party in his preschool class so I don't want to interfere with that. We always participate in the card exchange. My son gets so excited about it.

Posted by: Birthday Mom | February 11, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey Gutless Coward- you sure picked a great name for yourself. Maybe you should re-read the orginal column. I don't see that Stacey dissed the day at all, or called for it to be cancelled. She simply stated that in her family she likes to keep it simple. (Amen to that!) Then she asked for others to weigh in.

So why the nasty, and not so thinly veiled anti-semetic comment?

Posted by: Huckleberry Friend | February 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

OT Post: I'm hoping someone else on here will have had this experience and can help. Over the weekend, I pulled my back while trying to keep my 3-year-old from falling off of a seesaw. I was facing away from the seesaw and twisted to catch her on the way down. Immediately I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. No matter what I do or how much ibuprofren I take, it doesn't stop hurting! Has anyone else done this? I have a dr's appointment at Georgetown this afternoon, just trying to figure out what to expect. I'm only 28 so this is my first back injury. Ergh.

As for Valentine's Day, DH and I got married on Valentine's Day 2004, so it's a very special day for us. We're taking a trip (hopefully!) this weekend and DH's parents are watching our daughter.

Posted by: PLS | February 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Yes, she goes to a special ed preschool. I think the educational objective is to learn about delivering the mail. At least that is what I took away from the flyer. I am sure to a certain degree it is optional. It is a public school and you can't force kids to bring in anything.

GC: That was really uncalled for.

Posted by: foamgnome | February 11, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Huckleberry Friend, my previous comment was far from nasty, in fact, it was quite positive. And where in the world did you get anything anti-semetic about it?

Play the victim card much?

Posted by: GutlessCoward | February 11, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I keep V-Day pretty simple in my classroom. I sent home a note saying we are having a small party, if they want to send in cards, here is a list of all the kids. If you want to send in a small snack, please make sure there is enough.

I'll pull in the literacy aspect by having the kids "read" and match names from the cards to the Valentine's day bags that they made (paper lunch bags that they decorate).

I will be making cupcakes for the kiddos to decorate on Thursday afternoon.

Posted by: pre-kteacher | February 11, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gutless, You got me, I'm absolutely stumped as to how your comment was in any way positive. Maybe someone else (besides yourself) can clue me in as to how your comment was sunny in any way.

I noticed I'm not the only one who called you on being a troll.

Posted by: Huckleberry Friend | February 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

When my son was younger, he signed store-bought valentines for school/daycare.

One year, we had a Valentine's Day party at home; we invited kids and adults, made a valentine mailbox (like one a kindergarten class would have), and then made valentines. The kids made them in the upstairs playroom and the adults made them in the dining room, and when everyone was done, we put them in the mailbox, and then opened the mailbox and distributed them. It was a lot of fun!

Posted by: owlice | February 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

When my son was about 15 months old, I was completely surprised that he came home from daycare with a bunch of Valentine's Day cards and treats. I'd had NO IDEA that they would be doing that for such little kids!

Last year, when he was 2, I had bought Valentine's Day cards and pencils with his favorite characters on them, but all the schools around here (including where I work) were closed due to weather. So they have been sitting around all this time.

He goes to a different daycare/preschool now, so I will have to find out what they are going to do. Maybe we can just use the cards from last year.

Posted by: Wioleta | February 11, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I took the day off to spend with my husband. I did this because normally I work a 12 hour day (between two jobs) on Thursday. So, I took a vacation day from my primary job to spend it with my husband and I will go to work at night at my second job.

Unfortunately, his ex asked him to watch the kids in the afternoon so she could go on a date (she works at night too) so we will just be spending the morning/early afternoon together. We plan to go out to a breakfast diner to have a brunch. It is inexpensive but fits the budget. I will also give him a card and some chocolate. I may or may not receive anything in return.

I won't be looking after the kids with him because we would be leaving her place at two different times. It seems a little silly to drive two cars out there just to spend an extra couple of hours with him.

Posted by: Billie | February 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the Publix commercial ALWAYS made me cry (the one where the 10 or so YO is baking the cake with his mom for 'someone special' and mom thinks it's for a girl, and in the end he gives it to her - I'm crying just writing this) - my husband always laughed at me (I have two boys so this is especially relevant to me...).

But they changed it this year!!!! I can't believe it!!! I mean, it's cute and all, and makes me tear up just a little (with the teacher and her class, and the kids decorate the cupcakes and they say: look outside and it's her boyfriend with a ring), but it's NO WAY the same as the other one. *sigh*.

Posted by: atlmom1234 | February 11, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This must be a cultural thing that I don't understand, but I thought Valentine's Day was always for lovers, who used the day to reveal their secret love for another, not an opportunity for little kids, who are too young to understand such feelings as romantic love, to give each other loads of trash. I just don't get it. And I find it a little bit creepy. I tell my husband and my daughter that I love them every day, morning and night, and usually in between.

Posted by: DopeyMummy | February 11, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

This my husband will be out of town. He and I usually feed the kids early and cook a nice dinner together. We usually just enjoy a quiet night together-since that is so rare. He usually buys a flower and small treat for each of the girls. He is their first valentine!

My 6 year old's class does valentines but they are not supposed to be personally addressed to the other children. They think it takes too long for the kids to distribute that way.

My 4th grader is making hers as we speak. My only requirement is that she make one for each of her classmates. Other than that, I don't get involved until she shows me her finished product.

My little ones go to preschool in a synagogue that only celebrates Jewish holidays. I LOVE not having to think about buying and writing out cards for them. They don't know the difference and it means less junk in my house!

Posted by: Momof5 | February 11, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone ever consider donating the "junk" to kids in need? I'm sure there are plenty of schools and aftercare programs that could use pencils, pens, erasers, etc.

For what it's worth, I hate Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve about the same. If you're single, they're depressing. And the commercials (TV, radio, print, Net) all add to the misery of being reminded that one is single.

Posted by: Just wondering... | February 12, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey, can't we keep any fun traditions in this country? I loved V-day as a kid. My own sons were mostly indifferent to it. But any reason to express friendship, love, or happiness seems like good idea.

Goodie bags do seem really unnecessary, especially if everyone feels obligated to buy the same cheap junk. No imaginations? And who needs more stuff? But, I freely admit I would have LOVED choosing stuff to give and getting little things in return as a kid! ( I had a very low-budget childhood, so appreciated EVERY gift I received. Can our kids say that? Can we?)

My husband is not a romantic and has little imagination when it comes to gifts. He likes to nail down an idea and then repeat it over and over again! But he is a good person and we love each other. So I'll probably just make him his favorite supper and whatever he does for me will be fine.

XO to all of you

Posted by: traditionalist | February 13, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably going to buy a cake from the store for my students (new house, no oven), but stuff is always cheap on the actual holiday, so no problem there.

This afternoon, I was talking to a co-worker, when the next room (full of first through third graders) erupted in "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW!!" Another teacher came in and told us that someone had given an "inappropriate" Valentine, because it said something to the effect of "Will you be my date?" Sigh.

My husband is acting kind of smug, like he has wicked, secret plans for VDay, but I think he's just stalling.

Posted by: Kat | February 14, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse