Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Snacks -- The Nutritious Mid-Meal

Twenty years ago, moms' favorite snack for kids under 6 were cookies. These days, fruit ranks number 1, according to market research group NPD Group. Lest we think we've made huge strides, though, consider this a baby step. That's because in 1987, moms' most given snacks were in order: Cookies, fruit, milk, juice and candy. Compare that to now, when the list is: Fruit, cookies, milk, crackers and juice.

Subtle changes such as these seem to be having a small effect on the obesity rates of kids. Late last month, the National Center for Health Statistics reported that childhood obesity rates may be leveling off.

While it's easy to think of snacks as less important than meals since they're often given while we're on the go, they really can make a kid's week of food look a lot healthier. Lately, though, I've been feeling like we're in a bit of a snack rut.

So, let's share some favorite healthy snacks, both for around the house and on the go. The criteria in my house are a combination of fast and healthy. Here are some of ours:

1. Homemade trail mix: Whole grain cereal such as cheerios mixed with dried fruits (apricots, apples and raisins in our house). Sometimes, we add pistachios to the mix.

2. Fruit, fruit and more fruit. Apples, berries, bananas, watermelon, cherries, clementines. Whatever is in season makes it into our snack rotations. We always bring sliced oranges to soccer games.

3. Fruit Leathers: Only the all-fruit varieties such as those found at Trader Joe's.

4. Pretzels or crackers: These are a kid favorite, but I try to limit them.

5. Air-popped popcorn: Yes, we may be the last household in America not to microwave pop our popcorn. Air-popped is healthy, plus it's instant entertainment!

6. Sliced cucumbers, baby carrots, celery and frozen green beans. Granted, these are hit and miss with the kids, but we always keep them around. They get eaten most when we put them out as we're cooking dinner.

7. Cheese: I'd be remiss if I left out 6-year-old's main food group. Babybel circle cheeses, cheese sticks and square cheddar slices are his favorites.

What are some of your kids' favorite snacks?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  June 16, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Preschoolers
Previous: The 50-50 Split | Next: A Lesson of Death

Comments

Gum is a snack? Some of the articles mention that the "fresh fruit" also included fruit gummies and fruit rollups (the full sugar version). Not exactly fruit--more like candy.

Anyway, here's the list:

1. Fresh Fruit
2. Yogurt
3. Gum
4. Potato Chips
5. Chocolate Candy

Posted by: Arlington, VA | June 16, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the kind of snacks is the problem. I think it is the frequency. Kids eat all the time. We are using food to pacify and quiet our kids. Every kid in the grocery has a sippy cup and bag of carbs, waiting in line; there's kids with snacks, kids are snacking and watching t.v. When we were raised, you had a snack then went back out to play, we didn't carry around sacks of snacks everywhere we went. A lot of the problems people have with picky eaters could be solved too if the snack were managed better. Just my 2 cents. We are a fruit and veggie snack family with occasional carbs. Cookies are not reguarly kept in our home as much for my good as the kids!

Posted by: moxiemom | June 16, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

goldfish, pretzels, raisins, Cheerios, cinnamon teddy grahams or graham crackers, wheat thins

Posted by: Rockville Mom | June 16, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Fruit leather? rollups? Have a conversation with your dentist and you may be in for a shock. Dried fruit is still pretty hard on the teeth if you don't brush afterward but the processed fruit gummie stuff is worse than coke for your teeth. NEVER ever have I bought a fruit rollup for my kids and I am appalled that the schools serve them at 11:00 lunch so that my kids' teeth rot until they get home from aftercare. This is like eating several starburst candies at mid morning! To counteract, I sent in sugarless gum and told the kids to chew some on the sly and get rid of it as soon as the flavor wears off (gum is banned in the school). I still put sugarless gum in the lunch boxes for my high schoolers. This was recommended by the dentist. We never chew gum at home but as a family we have never had a cavity!

Ditto to moxiemom about availability. I hated the toddlers eating in their strollers (yucky crumbs and sticky juice spills). All those sippy cups can explain some other teeth issues!

My kids make themselves a snack when they get home--generally a microwave pizza, sandwich or a bowl of cereal and then nothing until dinner at 7pm. During the weekends there is always a bowl of fruit on the table. We have cookies in the house but it doesn't cross anyone's mind to have more than one or two with a cup of tea at 3pm (family tradition).

Posted by: samclare | June 16, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Your kids can't eat it if you don't buy it!

My girls favorite snacks (in order)

1.Fruit (sometimes w/peanut butter for dipping)

2.baked chips and salsa

3.cheese sticks

4. carrots or red pepper slices

5. yogurt (we have been freezing it into ice pops recently and it is a big hit)

6. Frozen grapes

Posted by: Momof5 | June 16, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Your kids can't eat it if you don't buy it!

My girls favorite snacks (in order)

1.Fruit (sometimes w/peanut butter for dipping)

2.baked chips and salsa

3.cheese sticks

4. carrots or red pepper slices

5. yogurt (we have been freezing it into ice pops recently and it is a big hit)

6. Frozen grapes

Posted by: Momof5 | June 16, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Trail Mix can be deceptively high in calories. Fruit Rollups are mostly sugar. Because kids are small, they need fewer calories than adults - so it is important to limit quantity when providing snacks that are high in calories. Some snacks - such as veggies - can be unlimited, but trail mix has more calories in about 2-3 Tbs than a whole apple or a serving of melon.

Posted by: sh | June 16, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

We recently broke down and got a really high speed blender. Even kids in elementary school are capable of making their own smoothies. Good snack.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

We'll make waffles on the weekends and use the leftovers as a snack. We have a good recipe for pumpkin waffles and I use whole wheat flour. The kids can eat them in car with a minimum of mess (no syrup of course).

Posted by: monday | June 16, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I am annoyed by moms who think they know everything. Sorry it bothers you that my son has a sippy cup in the store. How do you know my son's sippy cup doesn't have ice water and not juice in it. It's hot and while we are out running around I have his sippy cup filled with ice water.

Posted by: meg | June 16, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Meg, I'm annoyed when people are so sensitive about their parenting when they assume that something applies to them when clearly it doesn't. Whatever you are doing, just own it - don't whine about random messages about strangers on a blog.

Posted by: Moxiemom | June 16, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

We vary widely in what we eat for snack. However, my kids are fully aware that "snack" has nutritional content, whereas "treat" is junk. We allow my children to snack at will, because they are extremely thin - like, the doctor keeps telling us to beef them up. Like 8 years old, and 47 pounds. Their metabolisms are so fast, they need a constant input to keep going or they tend to suffer a meltdown. And no, I'm not looking forward to them being teens! We may need a loan to cover food costs.

With that said, there is always a bowl of fruit on the table and typically a bowl of pistachios. Shelling their own is fun, and slows them down. Fruit contains fiber, but not a lot of protein - the nuts have good staying power. As for what they eat when served a snack, that is likely to be something containing protein, as well. Yogurt, cheese and crackers, apple with peanut butter, yogurt and fruit smoothie, whole-grain crackers and a handful of raisins.

We do buy fruit leather: they are the whole fruit, no sugar kind. I think fruit island is the brand that we buy - they have 40-50 calories each depending on the fruit, and they keep GREAT. I keep several in the map pocket in the car for those snack emergencies where we intended to be gone an hour and stayed for three. The children, as noted, need to eat VERY regularly.

Sometimes they will eat sugar snap peas, carrots, and celery sticks for snack with yogurt dip - but that's not too often. I do send veggies with their lunches, but typically snack is something else.

Posted by: Bad mommy | June 16, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"How do you know my son's sippy cup doesn't
have ice water and not juice"

Posted by: I can spot a brat | June 16, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I forgot the hard boiled eggs. My daughter will take down three for snack if she isn't limited.

Posted by: Bad mommy | June 16, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

on parenting is my favorite wapo discussion group. Neck-and-neck with On Religion for the title of Fastest to Get Personal! Thank you to all of the nut jobs who keep this entertaining!

Posted by: i love it | June 16, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

So I signed up my daughter for soccer to keep her active and healthy. On game days, the girls were told to eat a good breakfast. Then at the game the girls ate orange slices and grapes after playing a 20 minute half, then after playing for another 20 minutes, they got served a junk food snack. That was the 3rd time the girls had eaten that day, and it wasn't even time for lunch, not to mention the pizza birthday party that at least a third of them would attend later that day.

Yes, I would say that kids are being taught to eat around the clock nowadays.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

My son's almost 3 and lower-weight for his height (28 lbs) and high energy, so we do let him snack at regular intervals. But the snacks have to be things we would feed him otherwise.

Some of our snacks include:

Hummus or bean dip and crackers or mini-pitas

Mini-bagels and cream cheese

black beans and corn mixed together

Frozen peas, other vegetables

Mini muffins - I make our own, so whole-grain and sometimes packed with extra skim milk powder for protein, grated zucchini or carrot

dolmades (a greek appetizer - rice wrapped in grape leaves)

I also make a wicked kale & feta turnover using pre-bought pie crust, and have made mini ones.

We make our own cookies - oatmeal raisin, oatmeal trail mix, that kind of thing, with less sugar than the original. But those are treats.

Although in summer I feel less inclined to bake... but what's available fresh is better.

Posted by: Shandra | June 16, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"Whatever you are doing, just own it - don't whine about random messages about strangers on a blog. "

Whines the pot to the kettle....

Posted by: Anon for this | June 16, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Translation: I make sweeping generalizations about strangers because I can. If you respond and correct me and others like me, you are whining.

Posted by: yada yada yada | June 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

My favorites for myself and to serve to kids are a bowl of cereal (not high sugar stuff) with low fat milk or a half of cheese sandwich (on whole grain bread).

Posted by: Ishgebibble | June 16, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

fr I can...:

>Because I can see the red drool dripping down the corners of his mouth as he whines for a box of animal crackers in the junkfood aisle.

Posted by: Alex | June 16, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

We aren't very inventive in our house. Grapes, raisins, bananas, oranges, plain crackers and home made bread. Sometimes we give them cookies or store bought desert bread and now that it is summer, we offer these tiny little snack size creamsicles occasionally.

Any treats considered junk food are only offered after supper and only if they eat their supper. We don't want them filling up on junk food and not eating their supper. We try to keep it as nutritious as possible but on the other hand... a treat once and a while is a nice end to the day.

Posted by: Billie_R | June 16, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Once discovered in the fridge by my kids, the jar of pickles has a half-life of 2 minutes. When I find the empty jar, usually filled up halfway with pickle juice, I will cut another cucumber up in it, add a dash of vinegar, and top it off with tap water.

It takes about 2 days for the flavor to soak into the cucumber and the new batch will be much fresher than the original store bought pickles. I think my kids like the crisp snap sound the new batch makes when they bite into the slices.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 16, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Then I suggest that unless the child is bothering YOU, personally by running into you, bumping you, etc., that you MYOB."

Hey Alex, Meg asked, so I answered her. She is the one that made it my business, not I.

Posted by: I can spot an idiot too | June 16, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Um, the kid is bothering others by WHINING and having the bad behavior rewarded with crappy food.

And I will be footing the bill for the fat people down the road...

Posted by: Confused | June 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Moxiemom

Don't post things on the blog if you don't want a reply. All you had to do is post about the snacks YOUR children eat. Not bash other parents about what their kid's eat.

Own your posts.

Posted by: Another day on the blog | June 16, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Whahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Muffy:
"That kid is drinking juice."

Buffy:
"Juice, my God, why doesn't she just feed him rat poisen.

Preston:

"I wish she would. One less fat person for me to pay for."

Posted by: yuppies, yuppies everywhere | June 16, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

DandyLion, are those dill pickles or some other kind? I really like that idea!

Posted by: SPC | June 16, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"Moxiemom

Don't post things on the blog if you don't want a reply."

Moxiemom - who shows no signs of moxie, is a bored SAHM, with oodles of free time to fritter away when she is not being a limo driver for her kids....Another Queen Bee/Wannabe who peaked in high school and never wants it to end.

Posted by: Mmmmmm | June 16, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

TEAM MEG

Posted by: for real | June 16, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I PREFER air-popped popcorn. Plus, I figure all the packaging and crap that goes into microwave popcorn must be bad for the environment. Oh, and it turns out that the fake stuff in they put in microwave popcorn causes illnesses to the workers who put it in there. So, all in all, maybe microwave popcorn should just be banned.

Posted by: Ryan | June 16, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday I served apple and cheese quesadillas for a mid-afternoon snack. The day before it was cream cheese and strawberries rolled up in a flour tortilla. Sometimes I cut up tortillas into chips and bake them. We like hot chocolate any time of year.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"Yesterday I served apple and cheese quesadillas for a mid-afternoon snack. The day before it was cream cheese and strawberries rolled up in a flour tortilla. "

Blech!

Posted by: Disgusting snacks | June 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

How can you even be sure she peaked in high school?

Really, it is not nice to gang up on moxiemom, but it is not nice to complain when someone reacts negativity to your post either.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm totally convinced that either high fructose corn syrup and/or a carb-dominant diet significantly contribute to obesity. We really push for protein and healthy fat, but it's much harder to eat that way. Natural peanut butter, hummus, cheese, eggs, and yogurt are the best. Junk (cookies, candy) is not a snack, it's a treat. We don't do juice and don't plan to, other than maybe a true serving (as opposed to a giant glass) of OJ at breakfast. All things in moderation, I guess. Duh.

Posted by: atb | June 16, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

My daughter sneaks a cup of frozen vegetables (mainly corn) for a snack and the other day she got grief for eating all the tomatoes I was saving for dinner. Sadly, I can't take credit for genius parenting because her brothers much prefer potato chips when they can get them and all three work their way through enormous quantities of bread. I think if you can keep soda and fake-nourishing fat and sugar bombs like fruit rollups and granola bars out of the house that's a strong start. Pushing against the strong (and recent) American cultural trend of needing food in your mouth all the time (what do you think those lattes are, anyway?) is essential. We try to limit snacking to the kitchen just to keep it from being a 24/7 activity.

Posted by: lurker | June 16, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"My daughter sneaks a cup of frozen vegetables (mainly corn) for a snack "

Are corn kernels digested by humans?

Posted by: Curious | June 16, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

SPC, I've only tried repickling the dill juice. However, I've tried other things like zucchin - too spongy and mushy, carrots - strange but doable, and garden fresh breen beans which turn out great.

Posted by: DandyLion | June 16, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Things that are cut up and waiting in the fridge always seem to disappear in my house. I personally like cut up apples. You can douse them in lemon juice to keep them nice.

I think trail mix is dangerous. Depending on what's in it it is high calorie/fat, and goes down pretty quickly.

I buy the small candies to keep around for when something sweet is a must. They can also go in lunches.

When they're in season those Clementine oranges are our favorite. They are expensive - about 2-3 bags for chips/fritos, but much better for you.

Posted by: RoseG | June 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

the flip side to having a fussy eater is that he is not a snacker either or not much of one. he eats goldfish & ritz crackers & cheese. that's about it for snacks. oh, cheerios.

Posted by: quark | June 16, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I am raising a cheese eater. Her main snack is a cheese stick. She also likes apples and peant butter.

I had no idea dried fruit was so bad!

Posted by: Irishgirl | June 16, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

My kids are underweight and have food allergies - and I will feed them whatever they can and will eat, whenever they will eat it. (Including on line at the grocery store- sorry. . . ) I keep high calorie snacks like potato chips and full-fat ice cream around - and encourage my kids to eat them. My family of five is very active and I laugh when I see all these stats on obesity. Maybe there's really just too much focus on food in this country. If parents didn't obsess, maybe children wouldn't become overweight. Maybe if they had something besides the all-natural "fruit leather" they wouldn't freak and binge when they see a chip-ahoy.

Posted by: kathyT | June 16, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"My kids are underweight and have food allergies - and I will feed them whatever they can and will eat, whenever they will eat it. (Including on line at the grocery store- sorry. . . )"

I pray that these defective freaks are unable to reproduce. Darwinism takes its course...

Posted by: Oh, brother! | June 16, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe if they had something besides the all-natural "fruit leather" they wouldn't freak and binge when they see a chip-ahoy."

This is true. I had a friend raised by a mother who only allowed all natural everything. When she got to college, it was a candy, ice cream, pop loaded, fun fest.

Posted by: Irishgirl | June 16, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lurker,

Granola bars are bad!!!???? I thought they were full of grainy goodness.

Posted by: Mom in Alexandria | June 16, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Having a diabetic parent has definitely raised younger son's awareness of healthy food.

Of course, we have to keep high-sugar foods in the house in case DH's blood glucose level goes too low...

Posted by: Sue | June 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This is a really interesting and funny discussion. Lots of good ideas. For my son, I often do mini pita pockets with hummus, fresh fruit/veggies, smoothies, etc. These days it has been so hot, I have also frozen slices of cantelope and it is homemade popsicle.

Sometimes, though, it's nice to have another healthy, convenient option, and that's why I developed Mom Made Munchies frozen organic snacks in bean burrito and cheese pizza. They're very low in sodium, with no preservatives, no trans fats, and they're USDA certified organic. We're just getting them out to local grocery stores now, so keep an eye out in your store's freezer aisle.

Heather Stouffer
Founder, Mom Made Foods, Alexandria, VA

Posted by: MomMade | June 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Umm... "Trail Mix can be high in calories?" but for kids, that's A GOOD THING! Only an anorexic would worry about kids' caloric intake if they're eating whole foods like nuts. Kids are SUPPOSED to eat food high in calories, fats, and the like as long as it's not PROCESSED food.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I would say that kids are being taught to eat around the clock nowadays.
----------

yeah, here's the weird thing about that. In my house we do sort of eat around the clock. My youngest son is 20 months old and currently 36 in tall and the tallest in his daycare by 3 inches. That's really tall from my way of thinking. My older son is the second tallest kid in his class. The tallest girl in his class eats like us. We can't help but wonder if the kids eat like that because they're tall and need the vitamins to grow or if eating more food than the other kids has helped them grow taller.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Are corn kernels digested by humans?
-----

of course they are. Is that a joke?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Shandra--kale and feta turnovers sound amazing! I am kitchen-impaired, so a recipe would be great!

Also: re-pickling. A great idea, but watch that sodium content!

Posted by: Mona | June 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"are corn kernels digested by humans?"
Think you might be posting from Europe - I'm referring to the soft, sweet corn everyone eats in the U.S. not the hard stuff you feed to birds.

Granola bars - check out the fat and carb/sugar content on the ingredient list. Other than the added fiber, they're about as good for you as a Snickers bar (and less fun...). I once looked at a recipe for homemade granola and was stunned at the amount of oil it contained.

Posted by: lurker | June 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, a topic made for me - I'm a cook at a daycare centre.

Some top snacks
- as mentioned, fruit in all its variety, including some fun ways to dress it up such as sprinkling apple slices with cinnamon, or dipping in yogurt, or (rare treat) drizzling apple or banana slices with chocolate sauce, and dipping in graham wafer crumbs. Ice cream is always served as a fruit sundae.
- raw veggies. A little low fat salad dressing for dip, if you like. Maybe ants on a log, now and then.
- tuna, salmon, egg, salad on crackers. Tuna is most popular - can't make enough of it.
- cheese, either sliced, or stuffed with lettuce and pickles into mini pita pockets.
- baked pita or tortilla chips with salsa and shredded cheese.
- hard boiled eggs
- frozen yogurt (homemade - put it in a dixie cup with a popsicle stick, and let the kids peel the cup away)
- cinnamon pita chips. Cut up pitas or tortillas, spray with a quick spritz of cooking spray, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and bake - watch carefully, they burn.
- pizza sticks. Roll out (50% whole wheat) yeast dough into pencil size sticks, or a little thicker. Allow to rise, spread with a spoonful of pizza sauce and sprinkle with a bit of shredded cheese. Bake.
- Banana bread, carrot cake, apple cake, beet cake, orange loaf, blueberry muffins, pumpkin loaf....Do your own baking. Use as much whole wheat flour as you can get away with - things like carrot muffins it can be 100%, blueberry muffins more like 40%. Cut the sugar and fat from the recipe by 1/3. Put in half again as much fruit or veggie as the recipe calls for. Serve plain - don't butter them. Look for recipes that use oils rather than fats that solidify at room temp, but keep in mind total fat use - better to use a little margarine than a lot of oil.

Don't forget that eating can be fun and pleasant - if adding 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to the batch of whole wheat banana oatmeal muffins means the kids will love them, throw 'em in.

And, yes, kids need more calories than adults - not total calories, but proportionally. They need not only support metabolism and activity, but growth. Don't go out of your way to limit fats to children under two (three, really). They need the fats for development of the neurological system. This does not mean to feed them french fries, but just to not worry too much about it - let them have whole milk, cheese, etc.

Posted by: marshlc | June 16, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Re: apple slices in lemon juice

You can also use orange juice, so it's less sour. My son will suck on a lemon slice, but won't eat apples in lemon juice. Go figure.

Posted by: Just Me | June 17, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

My son was a low birth weight preemie, so we've always struggled to get his weight up. At his 6 year checkup, he was close to 50%, after years of being close to

Snacks are a mix of healthful foods (fruit, cheese, veggies, crackers) & with the occasional junk, but never too close to dinner time. He'll go thru a period where he constantly asks for candy, & in 2 or 3 days it's over. I just threw out the last of the Halloween candy, for instance, & there's still a full Easter basket of candy. He just doesn't want candy too much.

& we balance it with exercise -- walking to school, hikes on weekends, biking, & just being outside running around.

Posted by: Mom of a 6YO | June 17, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ryan | June 16, 2008 11:11 AM

Those workers were inhaling the stuff every day on their shift for many years. You'd have to eat A LOT of microwave popcorn, and open the bag and inhale the aroma, in order for it to affect you. I also believe the recipes have since been modified and that 'chemical' is no longer in use, or is being phased out.

Posted by: Poppy | June 17, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

and too much fruit is not good either for the little ones. See:

my favorite healthy snacks are-

Edamame/soy beans (cold or room temp)
Snow peas